Streaming PS3 games on Gaikai will cost $6 per game

• 99 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by IgGy621985 (4572 posts) -

Just a rumor for now. Also, not exactly "$6" per game, but it's in that range. From CVG:

While Sony has yet to officially announce how much it will cost to rent a streamed PS3 game, the imagery (pictured below) lists Uncharted 3 for $4.99 and Far Cry 3 for $5.99.

Officially, Sony has said the game streaming service will launch during summer 2014 in North America. Unofficially, it has been reported that PS Now won't arrive in Europe until the first quarter of 2015.

For a "low latency, high-quality gaming experience", Sony recommendeds that PS Now users have at least a 5Mbps connection. A PS Now beta is currently ongoing.

Thoughts? Expensive or just right?

#2 Posted by Desmonic (12815 posts) -

If they don't have a subscription based payment which allows you to play everything, then it's an instant fail. I mean if you're the consumer that's gonna decide to just try a couple of older titles through this service, these prices aren't too steep. However, if you're the kind of consumer that would use this regularly to play many games, then even 5$ per game ends up being pretty expensive.

We'll see. Hopefully they'll clarify all of this soon enough.

#3 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (24347 posts) -

HAHAHA no.

#4 Edited by finalstar2007 (24876 posts) -

Thats awesome! i for one would rather get the games individually rather than paying a subscription so this is good i can get whatever i didnt play on ps3 on the PS4 at $6? very nice!

#5 Posted by bobbetybob (19089 posts) -

If it's $6 just to RENT the games then fuck that.

#6 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (42539 posts) -

That's a bit pricey, and especially pricey considering the quality of the service isn't ideal.

#7 Posted by Shewgenja (7985 posts) -

Rent or own? Big difference.

#8 Posted by Bigboi500 (28814 posts) -

No thanks. I'll never use the service since I own multiple PS3's and have a boat load of PS3 games that I'll never sell.

#9 Edited by freedomfreak (38306 posts) -

6 dollars to rent a game on a streaming based service?

No, thanks.

#10 Posted by KungfuKitten (20676 posts) -

1. Laugh at virtual console pricing.
2. Accept Gaikai pricing.

#11 Posted by MonsieurX (28804 posts) -

+ monthly fees?

#12 Posted by juarbles (801 posts) -

Anything to get ubiquitous real gaming.

#13 Edited by Minishdriveby (10022 posts) -

@finalstar2007 said:

Thats awesome! i for one would rather get the games individually rather than paying a subscription so this is good i can get whatever i didnt play on ps3 on the PS4 at $6? very nice!

No, not whatever you didn't play on PS3, only the games that they decide to put up on the service.

#14 Posted by CrashNBurn281 (385 posts) -

No thanks. I would much rather have actually backwards compatibility through emulation, which the PS4 should be powerful enough to do. Ill just hook up my PS3 when I feel like playing PS3 titles.

#15 Posted by Caseytappy (2112 posts) -

Or just buy them for $ 6,00 a piece without the horrible latency issues that will make most action games unplayable even with optimal settings .

#16 Edited by Seabas989 (9969 posts) -

Nope I'll just keep my PS3 whenever I buy a PS4.

#17 Posted by lostrib (31959 posts) -

$6 for how long?

#18 Posted by locopatho (20044 posts) -

There's a yearly sub I think?

Seems ideal to me. People who missed one or two key titles spend a few dollars on them, people who want everything subscribe.

That's if you are into the whole pay to stream/rent thing.

#19 Edited by Draign (526 posts) -

people screamed about MS DRM but accept this?

Unbelievable. I bet Sony would love to spoon feed all of their future games to you through Gakai. Kind of inevitable if people buy into this rip off.

#20 Edited by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -

That's pretty epic if true. Much jelly incoming.

#21 Posted by edwardecl (1816 posts) -

@draign said:

Unbelievable. I bet Sony would love to spoon feed all of their future games to you through Gakai. Kind of inevitable if people buy into this rip off.

Nobody is forcing you to use this service. I just see this as some attempt at backwards compatibility for the people who like to moan about it. They are just trying to keep as many people happy as possible and make money doing it.

I would rather just play the games on PS3/PS2/PS1 or through emulators.

#22 Edited by Heil68 (42747 posts) -

Just a rumor for now. Also, not exactly "$6" per game,

lol

#23 Edited by Harisemo (4132 posts) -

holy chit, $5 to rent a game on top of already paying $40 rent-a-game service (PS+). Wow......

#24 Posted by always_explicit (2632 posts) -

So we have gone from free online to a $40 PSN subscription and an additional $6 if I wish to play a PS3 game on my PS4.

This is only an attractive proposition to people who missed out on the PS3 entirely. Or at least a substantial amount of the PS3 library.

I miss traditional backwards compatibility. Great little money spinner though.

#25 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (8665 posts) -

6 dollars per hour ? Per day ?

#26 Posted by Draign (526 posts) -

@draign said:

Nobody is forcing you to use this service. I just see this as some attempt at backwards compatibility for the people who like to moan about it. They are just trying to keep as many people happy as possible and make money doing it.

I would rather just play the games on PS3/PS2/PS1 or through emulators.

What happens when PS Now service becomes popular? Then the guys in business suits will say stream ALL games. This is nothing but a trial run on consumers disguised as backwards compatibility.

#27 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (5917 posts) -

I always like Ellen Page in TLOU.

#28 Posted by kitty (114344 posts) -

But you could probably buy most at that price by then :P

#29 Posted by wis3boi (30936 posts) -

think this belongs here

#30 Posted by treedoor (7478 posts) -

Is this on top of a monthly fee?

That is my concern.

#31 Posted by RR360DD (11425 posts) -

LOL even worse than I thought. This service is soo pointless. Flop of arrival.

#32 Edited by Ghost120x (3658 posts) -

It is no different than renting a game from a video store, assuming the games are playable for a week. When I was little and had no money, renting was the only way I could experience all the great games of the n64 a ps1's libraries. So it is a good deal for those who missed the ps3 (lots of lems switching over) to play a ps3 exclusive they may have missed on occasion.

#33 Posted by GarGx1 (2382 posts) -

So when Gaikai starts streaming to Bravia HDTV's and mobile devices does that mean PS, PS2 and PS3 games are no longer exclusives?

#34 Posted by Pray_to_me (2739 posts) -

They're charging $25 for Balders gate and $30 for skyrim (not including DLC) on Steam. Xbone has no backwards compatibility at all. PS3 emulation is obviously not an option because of its unique architecture so this is the best option for people that don't own a PS3. I don't see the problem with the pricing here considering the hundreds of millions Sony has invested; doesn't seem all that egregious to me.

#35 Posted by handssss (1661 posts) -

@draign said:

it's to allow backwards compatibility because its physically impossible to otherwise...

Also, is everyone just assuming the prices for this mockup UI are final? for renting or buying, or if there's a subscription needed at all?

#37 Posted by Mr-Kutaragi (1867 posts) -

TLHBO.

#38 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9305 posts) -

+ monthly fees?

yeah they said you could either get the yearly subscription or just rent one at a time ($6)

#39 Posted by blackace (19808 posts) -

HAHAHA no.

Exactly. I'm not going to pay again to play a game I already own. I'll just play it on my PS3. I can get the physical copy of the game for $15 or less and won't have to deal with the lag. I'd rather they have a yearly fee of $29.99 or $39.99 and give you access to the entire library. I can't see people jumping on board for at least a year or more since the library will most likely be very small to start.

#40 Posted by blackace (19808 posts) -
@wis3boi said:

think this belongs here

Meantime 100's of developers continue to swtich from PC to making games on game consoles. Their should be PC Pirates screwing Devs, and then Devs screwing PC gamers by abandoning them. lol!! The difference is console gamers asking PAY for the games. Devs seem to like that a lot better.

#41 Posted by PSP107 (11630 posts) -

lol, its probably $6 a day which is $4 more than what redbox charges?

#42 Posted by clyde46 (43695 posts) -

They're charging $25 for Balders gate and $30 for skyrim (not including DLC) on Steam. Xbone has no backwards compatibility at all. PS3 emulation is obviously not an option because of its unique architecture so this is the best option for people that don't own a PS3. I don't see the problem with the pricing here considering the hundreds of millions Sony has invested; doesn't seem all that egregious to me.

Streaming.....

#43 Edited by CrownKingArthur (3833 posts) -

hmmm. the article is too ambiguous, but superficially that doesn't sound great.

#44 Posted by GamingGod999 (2908 posts) -

Why can't they just follow the subscription system that Netflix uses?

#45 Posted by PSP107 (11630 posts) -

Games may require a higher bandwidth.

#46 Edited by clr84651 (5285 posts) -

It says "Up to $6". Meaning $1-$6 depending on the title.

#47 Posted by clr84651 (5285 posts) -

@PSP107 said:

@GamingGod999 said:

Games may require a higher bandwidth.

They could also offer a subscription based plan. Time will tell. I'd pay $6 to play Dark Souls 2 on my PS4.

#48 Posted by Nonstop-Madness (9466 posts) -

Not enough info.

Will it be behind the PSN+ paywall?

Is it a time based rental? Is it based on how many times you play through the game?

Will there be a subscription service? Monthly? Annual?

I.e. $6 for what?

#49 Posted by Spartan070 (16307 posts) -

This.

#50 Edited by santoron (7472 posts) -

Sounds about right for a la carte pricing assuming its a 5-7 day "rental". Competitive with brick and mortar rental prices and you never have to leave your house or worry about the game you want being checked out.

TBH I don't really see this as much of a fit for me personally, as I haven't rented a game in years and I'm skeptical of network performance. But hey, I'm never opposed to options for others.