Still go to Counter Strike for your shooter fix?

• 128 results
#1 Posted by Omega-316 (750 posts) -

Now I'm console gamer. But i have a decent lap top that can run some games. I can do GTA 4 at the lowest setting with 30fps.

But I am also lucky enough to be able to play counter strike global offensive on 60-70fps on medium+ settings and man am i hooked on it. There is no gimmicks, no perks, no unlockables, no cheap tactic to get you hooked. Just straight up no bs competitive gameplay that hooks you based on its gameplay alone. Reminds me a lot of Socom on the ps2 which i loved. After i unlock almost everything on a modern shooter i then get bored and never play it again. But CS had always been that ageless masterpiece.

Anyone else still has CS as their go to shooter?

#2 Edited by MBirdy88 (7133 posts) -

I loved CS:Source back in the day. but the older I get the less I care about competitive over fun. I find playing one match is the same as the next with little variety, and the whole gameplay is incredibly linear. sure I accept the skill gap is incredibly high... but you walk down a corridor, toss a grenade or 2 and hope to twitch the other guy first. granted, its alot more satisfying than say CoD because you actually have to aim properly and tap-shoot.

But I'd go to TF2, Titanfall or BF (despite the latter 2 being MEH ... ) due to the varied play styles, content and well... fun factors.

But yea CS:GO is big now, after some tournament awhile back its popularity has shot up.... still one of the greats. puts the so called "main console shooter frachises" to shame.

#3 Posted by R3FURBISHED (10014 posts) -

Never played Counter Strike actually

#4 Edited by BattleSpectre (5952 posts) -

@R3FURBISHED said:

Never played Counter Strike actually

I do have it on Steam though, just never tried it. My little brother was hooked on it for a while and says it's decent.

#5 Posted by groowagon (2739 posts) -

BF4 is my current go-to shooter. but yeah, CS:GO is still big according to Steam stats.

#6 Edited by Omega-316 (750 posts) -

@BattleSpectre: I also had it on steam due to my lil bro liking it. I was always just intimidated by it due to the level of skill needed to kill someone standing rite in front of you. Every step would result in a head shot. But 3 weeks ago i said screw it and i dived in dedicated to learning the game coming from no keyboard and mouse experience and now i took my k/d ratio from being god awful to 1.15 and being one of the top guys in a match sometimes just carrying the team to the finish line. I never felt this level of satisfaction and the intensity of being the last guy alive and then pulling off a clutch comeback with your teammates screaming and going crazy in the background since socom 2 on the ps2.

#7 Posted by BattleSpectre (5952 posts) -

@BattleSpectre: I also had it on steam due to my lil bro liking it. I was always just intimidated by it due to the level of skill needed to kill someone standing rite in front of you. Every step would result in a head shot. But 3 weeks ago i said screw it and i dived in dedicated to learning the game coming from no keyboard and mouse experience and now i took my k/d ratio from being god awful to 1.15 and being one of the top guys in a game sometimes just carrying the team to the finish line. I never felt this level of satisfaction and the intensity of being the last guy alive and then pulling off a clutch comeback since socom 2 on the ps2.

Damn, this post might have just gave me the motivation to dive into the game and give it a shot myself. The difficulty of it also got me scared but I guess with enough practice and hard work you can get better, you're living proof of that.

#8 Edited by lonewolf604 (8509 posts) -

Counter-Strike 1.6 is the sole reason I got bad grades in elementary. I grew up on 3 shooters: CS, Unreal Tournament, and Quake 3 Arena.

#9 Edited by BeardMaster (1580 posts) -

CS is basically the precursor to COD. Prior to CS shooters were very fast paced, and to kill your opponent, you generally had to outshoot/outmaneuver them. Then CS came along, lowered TTK, added cover, hamstringed your movement speed... basically introduced the notion of "surprise kills" which call of duty latched onto and ran with. Rather than bunny hopping around corners, people started crouching and camping corners. It was a big hit because now anyone could get kills, regardless of skill level. I will never understand why this game gets such reverence in the shooter community, when COD gets so much hate.

#10 Edited by Nightflash28 (2046 posts) -

Started playing CS some time in 2001 and I've been playing it in all its different variations over time off and on again. And yes, just recently started playing CS:GO again. I picked it up at launch, where I found it a bit lacking. At that time, it really was just CS with a fresh coat of paint. I just realized a few weeks ago how much it has changed by now. The competitive mode, replay options, etc. And the gameplay is still rock solid; it has hardly changed in over a decade, but yet it's still one of the most fun shooters out there because it's mainly based on skill.

#11 Posted by silversix_ (13541 posts) -

back when it was a thing i was playing consoles exclusively and yes im well aware that CS is still big and not dead like halo. So no on thread

#12 Edited by Omega-316 (750 posts) -

@BeardMaster: i think its because it added some level of realism that people enjoy to have in games and still requires skill to be good at it. Obviously not like quake but again most people like some level of realism to relate to.

#13 Edited by BeardMaster (1580 posts) -
@Omega-316 said:

@BeardMaster: i think its because it added some level of realism that people enjoy to have in games and still requires skill to be good at it. Obviously not like quake but again most people like some level of realism to relate to.

Maybe, but then ghost recon would be the cult classic. CS made online shooters more mainstream and accessible and thats why its so revered imo. The only difference between it and COD is it didnt start pumping out sequels, which means the playerbase that stuck around eventually became pretty hardcore into CS and gave it that "old school" prestige, if COD threw in the towel after COD4, i imagine it would be enjoying a similar status. Back when CS was new and first started getting popular, the people playing generally didnt have much online fps experience... for alot of folks it was their first online shooter.

#14 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (8521 posts) -

I don't like Competitve Games were death happens so often or is the whole point of the Game.... I like Objective Based Competion.... Like Capture the Flag or Domination......its even better once you have vehicles (slow vehicles) and classes like Medics, Explosives, experts Scouts, Enginneers So basicly I like Monday Night Combat !

#15 Edited by freedomfreak (38143 posts) -

No.

Although I spent an unhealthy amount of time playing Source.

#16 Edited by Cloud_imperium (1757 posts) -

Agreed . Counter Strike is awesome . However it's been a while since I last played .

#17 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2535 posts) -

back when it was a thing i was playing consoles exclusively and yes im well aware that CS is still big and not dead like halo. So no on thread

This has nothing to do with Xbox, why instigate?

As for Counterstrike, I wish I could still play it from time to time, but the older games get, the more you find yourself playing against the lifers who have perfected their skills to near-unbeatable levels. Every time I've booted up CS, be it Source or the now-outlandishly hacked 1.6, I've found it infuriating.

#18 Posted by Omega-316 (750 posts) -

@BeardMaster: I see what your saying but i think comparing cs to cod is too extreme. I would compare cs to quake like i would compare cod to halo. Some prefer the twitch base skill, and others the classic gameplay.

#19 Edited by kraken2109 (12948 posts) -

Yes.

I just love the lack of BS. If someone kills you it's either because they're better than you or you did something stupid. Not because of some BS killstreak etc

#20 Edited by SolidGame_basic (16009 posts) -

Battlefield 4 & CS:GO for me

#21 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (8521 posts) -

@ kraken2109

but How ?

Isn't it was simple ass just turning the corner and firing at whoever you see ? I remember doing that in Modern Warfare 2.

I just don't see the Difference.

#22 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (5883 posts) -

Im kinda done with CS. Every time I play it, I am so screwed up going back to another shooter like BF. CS is so damn fast that even CoD's movements seem like molasses when you play it again.

#23 Edited by gameofthering (9943 posts) -

I'll never stop playing Counter Strike Source.

#24 Posted by ShepardCommandr (2108 posts) -
#25 Posted by Ribstaylor1 (435 posts) -

I used to play the hell out of 1.6 and source but I've lost that account a couple of years ago forgot the password. I recently purchased global offensive and I'm not a fan. Just doesn't feel or run like the old ones that I loved, so no counter strike is no longer my fix. Unless I can get 1.6 or source for super cheap I'll be staying away from it.

#26 Edited by BeardMaster (1580 posts) -

@BeardMaster: I see what your saying but i think comparing cs to cod is too extreme. I would compare cs to quake like i would compare cod to halo. Some prefer the twitch base skill, and others the classic gameplay.

its only extreme because hipsters hate COD. Im pretty fanatical about my shooters, but COD is fun. CS is fun too, i was just trying to point out the weird hypocrisy where people love CS, but hate COD. As someone thats been around the block, it seems a bit silly, because COD is essentially a newer version of CS.

#27 Edited by Priapus10101 (63 posts) -

I have been playing CS ever since CS1.6 was released, and am currently playing CS:GO. While the game has undergone several iterations, the core gameplay mechanics has not changed which is a real testament to quality of the game mechanics.

#28 Posted by starwolf474 (400 posts) -

No

Titanfall is my current go-to shooter. And whenever I can get together with friends under the same roof, I still love playing TimeSplitters 2.

#29 Posted by flashn00b (2875 posts) -

Not really, as I am quite terrible at multiplayer FPS, and the amount of skill it demands from you will have players of lower skill levels on their knees begging for a cover system.

#30 Edited by NFJSupreme (5020 posts) -

From time to time I still play. Counter strike will never really die

#31 Edited by NFJSupreme (5020 posts) -

@BeardMaster: lol counter strike is nothing like cod. Cod is a spray and pray game. Try playing cs like that and you wouldn't get a single kill. Someone could be right in front of you and if you are spraying you are not hitting them in cs. Do you even play the game?

#32 Posted by lostrib (31445 posts) -

Was never a big Counter Strike fan

#33 Edited by magicalclick (22217 posts) -

Yes, still love CS:S. Love the two popular LOTR zombie maps. Run maps are usually fun as well. And fy iceworld is always awesome.

Hated GO. Everyone looks the same. All the guns look the same. And they screwed up my MP5. And no silenced M3, just terrible.

#34 Posted by xWoW_Rougex (2749 posts) -

Tribes: Ascend is my to go shooter. At least until I get to lvl 10 in the game and realize that the design is pretty crappy with how the whole games revolves around the godfinders, which spend like 80% of their time singleplaying the outskirts of the map.

#35 Edited by Cloud_imperium (1757 posts) -

My friend still plays it .

#36 Posted by g0ddyX (3867 posts) -

Titanfall, COD series, Team Fortress 2, CS:GO, CS:source with run maps, BF4, Halo are the common addictive FPS games.

#37 Edited by Console_Caesar (46 posts) -

CS what? Oh that PC exclusive series that came to consoles? Aww nothing stays on PC, no good exclusives :(

On topic: Killzone is my go-to shooter, it's much better than CS too.

#38 Posted by Heil68 (42557 posts) -

I was addicted to it early on, haven't played it in quite some time.

#39 Posted by magicalclick (22217 posts) -

@console_caesar:

Wow, you know not everything has to be mooooing. CS is an old franchise that is still popular on PC. There is not much to moooo for.

#40 Posted by p3anut (5838 posts) -

Yes I still play it and I make a bit of money selling guns/crates etc. I sold a crate yesterday for 11 bucks.

#41 Posted by thr1llh0us (29 posts) -

I've been playing it since it was a HL mod. Still love me some CS:GO every few nights.

Get out of there its gonna blow!

#42 Posted by lamprey263 (22418 posts) -

I loved Counter-Strike years ago, ruined my first year of college... now there's better online competitive games. I'm a big fan of Battlefield, I like the focus on teamwork, the balancing of classes, the ability to be a ground soldier or climb into a jet, helicopter, tank, jeep, ATV, whatever. Though the one thing I liked about Counter-Strike was the one life thing, you die you wait until the match is over. So it helps to play with caution, plan things out better, move cautiously. In today's gaming dying is inconsequential, you just wait a second or two to respawn and run into battle haphazardly.

#43 Edited by KHAndAnime (13137 posts) -

I've regularly played Counter-Strike for about 14 years...in my opinion it's the best online multiplayer FPS of all time. No other FPS has anything on it... it's too fun to play. Why? To simply put it, other online competitive shooters have too much bullshit and fluff.

When CS:S came out, I played it and enjoyed it, but still found 1.6 superior for quite some time. Eventually my problems with CS:S got ironed out and I never looked back. I've been playing CS:GO since beta and I've always found it enjoyable, though not really any notable improvement over CS:S. I simply enjoy the less predictable recoil patterns and superior graphics.

#44 Posted by darkangel115 (1370 posts) -

counter strike is a great game, but feels to boring after so much titanfall

#45 Edited by scatteh316 (4730 posts) -

Still the best online FPS available, nothing is as tight, polished and precise as the shooting in that game,

#46 Edited by Jankarcop (8827 posts) -

CS what? Oh that PC exclusive series that came to consoles? Aww nothing stays on PC, no good exclusives :(

On topic: Killzone is my go-to shooter, it's much better than CS too.

#47 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (8521 posts) -

Theres alot of Elitist Energy in the atmosphere surounding.... well every thing Valve does.

I honestly think Gears of War is a better Multiplayer Shooter.

#48 Edited by speedfreak48t5p (6131 posts) -
#49 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (6131 posts) -

Theres alot of Elitist Energy in the atmosphere surounding.... well every thing Valve does.

I honestly think Gears of War is a better Multiplayer Shooter.

Valve are Gods. Get down on your knees you console peasant. Beg for forgivness for your second statement.

#50 Posted by Couth_ (9915 posts) -

Yeah I still play CS and CoD4 (PC) every now and then