Still go to Counter Strike for your shooter fix?

• 128 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Omega-316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Omega-316
Member since 2011 • 981 Posts

Now I'm console gamer. But i have a decent lap top that can run some games. I can do GTA 4 at the lowest setting with 30fps.

But I am also lucky enough to be able to play counter strike global offensive on 60-70fps on medium+ settings and man am i hooked on it. There is no gimmicks, no perks, no unlockables, no cheap tactic to get you hooked. Just straight up no bs competitive gameplay that hooks you based on its gameplay alone. Reminds me a lot of Socom on the ps2 which i loved. After i unlock almost everything on a modern shooter i then get bored and never play it again. But CS had always been that ageless masterpiece.

Anyone else still has CS as their go to shooter?

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

I loved CS:Source back in the day. but the older I get the less I care about competitive over fun. I find playing one match is the same as the next with little variety, and the whole gameplay is incredibly linear. sure I accept the skill gap is incredibly high... but you walk down a corridor, toss a grenade or 2 and hope to twitch the other guy first. granted, its alot more satisfying than say CoD because you actually have to aim properly and tap-shoot.

But I'd go to TF2, Titanfall or BF (despite the latter 2 being MEH ... ) due to the varied play styles, content and well... fun factors.

But yea CS:GO is big now, after some tournament awhile back its popularity has shot up.... still one of the greats. puts the so called "main console shooter frachises" to shame.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

Never played Counter Strike actually

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

@R3FURBISHED said:

I do have it on Steam though, just never tried it. My little brother was hooked on it for a while and says it's decent.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

BF4 is my current go-to shooter. but yeah, CS:GO is still big according to Steam stats.

Omega-316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Omega-316

@BattleSpectre: I also had it on steam due to my lil bro liking it. I was always just intimidated by it due to the level of skill needed to kill someone standing rite in front of you. Every step would result in a head shot. But 3 weeks ago i said screw it and i dived in dedicated to learning the game coming from no keyboard and mouse experience and now i took my k/d ratio from being god awful to 1.15 and being one of the top guys in a match sometimes just carrying the team to the finish line. I never felt this level of satisfaction and the intensity of being the last guy alive and then pulling off a clutch comeback with your teammates screaming and going crazy in the background since socom 2 on the ps2.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

@Omega-316 said:

@BattleSpectre: I also had it on steam due to my lil bro liking it. I was always just intimidated by it due to the level of skill needed to kill someone standing rite in front of you. Every step would result in a head shot. But 3 weeks ago i said screw it and i dived in dedicated to learning the game coming from no keyboard and mouse experience and now i took my k/d ratio from being god awful to 1.15 and being one of the top guys in a game sometimes just carrying the team to the finish line. I never felt this level of satisfaction and the intensity of being the last guy alive and then pulling off a clutch comeback since socom 2 on the ps2.

Damn, this post might have just gave me the motivation to dive into the game and give it a shot myself. The difficulty of it also got me scared but I guess with enough practice and hard work you can get better, you're living proof of that.

lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts

Counter-Strike 1.6 is the sole reason I got bad grades in elementary. I grew up on 3 shooters: CS, Unreal Tournament, and Quake 3 Arena.

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BeardMaster
Member since 2012 • 1686 Posts

CS is basically the precursor to COD. Prior to CS shooters were very fast paced, and to kill your opponent, you generally had to outshoot/outmaneuver them. Then CS came along, lowered TTK, added cover, hamstringed your movement speed... basically introduced the notion of "surprise kills" which call of duty latched onto and ran with. Rather than bunny hopping around corners, people started crouching and camping corners. It was a big hit because now anyone could get kills, regardless of skill level. I will never understand why this game gets such reverence in the shooter community, when COD gets so much hate.

Nightflash28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By Nightflash28
Member since 2004 • 2351 Posts

Started playing CS some time in 2001 and I've been playing it in all its different variations over time off and on again. And yes, just recently started playing CS:GO again. I picked it up at launch, where I found it a bit lacking. At that time, it really was just CS with a fresh coat of paint. I just realized a few weeks ago how much it has changed by now. The competitive mode, replay options, etc. And the gameplay is still rock solid; it has hardly changed in over a decade, but yet it's still one of the most fun shooters out there because it's mainly based on skill.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

back when it was a thing i was playing consoles exclusively and yes im well aware that CS is still big and not dead like halo. So no on thread

Omega-316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Omega-316

@BeardMaster: i think its because it added some level of realism that people enjoy to have in games and still requires skill to be good at it. Obviously not like quake but again most people like some level of realism to relate to.

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BeardMaster
@Omega-316 said:

@BeardMaster: i think its because it added some level of realism that people enjoy to have in games and still requires skill to be good at it. Obviously not like quake but again most people like some level of realism to relate to.

Maybe, but then ghost recon would be the cult classic. CS made online shooters more mainstream and accessible and thats why its so revered imo. The only difference between it and COD is it didnt start pumping out sequels, which means the playerbase that stuck around eventually became pretty hardcore into CS and gave it that "old school" prestige, if COD threw in the towel after COD4, i imagine it would be enjoying a similar status. Back when CS was new and first started getting popular, the people playing generally didnt have much online fps experience... for alot of folks it was their first online shooter.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

I don't like Competitve Games were death happens so often or is the whole point of the Game.... I like Objective Based Competion.... Like Capture the Flag or Domination......its even better once you have vehicles (slow vehicles) and classes like Medics, Explosives, experts Scouts, Enginneers So basicly I like Monday Night Combat !

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52420 Posts

No.

Although I spent an unhealthy amount of time playing Source.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Agreed . Counter Strike is awesome . However it's been a while since I last played .

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4195 Posts
@silversix_ said:

back when it was a thing i was playing consoles exclusively and yes im well aware that CS is still big and not dead like halo. So no on thread

This has nothing to do with Xbox, why instigate?

As for Counterstrike, I wish I could still play it from time to time, but the older games get, the more you find yourself playing against the lifers who have perfected their skills to near-unbeatable levels. Every time I've booted up CS, be it Source or the now-outlandishly hacked 1.6, I've found it infuriating.

Omega-316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Omega-316

@BeardMaster: I see what your saying but i think comparing cs to cod is too extreme. I would compare cs to quake like i would compare cod to halo. Some prefer the twitch base skill, and others the classic gameplay.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Yes.

I just love the lack of BS. If someone kills you it's either because they're better than you or you did something stupid. Not because of some BS killstreak etc

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 44938 Posts

Battlefield 4 & CS:GO for me

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@ kraken2109

but How ?

Isn't it was simple ass just turning the corner and firing at whoever you see ? I remember doing that in Modern Warfare 2.

I just don't see the Difference.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

Im kinda done with CS. Every time I play it, I am so screwed up going back to another shooter like BF. CS is so damn fast that even CoD's movements seem like molasses when you play it again.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23  Edited By gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

I'll never stop playing Counter Strike Source.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

@R3FURBISHED said:

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25 Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

I used to play the hell out of 1.6 and source but I've lost that account a couple of years ago forgot the password. I recently purchased global offensive and I'm not a fan. Just doesn't feel or run like the old ones that I loved, so no counter strike is no longer my fix. Unless I can get 1.6 or source for super cheap I'll be staying away from it.

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BeardMaster

@Omega-316 said:

@BeardMaster: I see what your saying but i think comparing cs to cod is too extreme. I would compare cs to quake like i would compare cod to halo. Some prefer the twitch base skill, and others the classic gameplay.

its only extreme because hipsters hate COD. Im pretty fanatical about my shooters, but COD is fun. CS is fun too, i was just trying to point out the weird hypocrisy where people love CS, but hate COD. As someone thats been around the block, it seems a bit silly, because COD is essentially a newer version of CS.

Priapus10101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Priapus10101
Member since 2013 • 157 Posts

I have been playing CS ever since CS1.6 was released, and am currently playing CS:GO. While the game has undergone several iterations, the core gameplay mechanics has not changed which is a real testament to quality of the game mechanics.

starwolf474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 starwolf474
Member since 2013 • 989 Posts

No

Titanfall is my current go-to shooter. And whenever I can get together with friends under the same roof, I still love playing TimeSplitters 2.

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 flashn00b
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts

Not really, as I am quite terrible at multiplayer FPS, and the amount of skill it demands from you will have players of lower skill levels on their knees begging for a cover system.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

From time to time I still play. Counter strike will never really die

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

@BeardMaster: lol counter strike is nothing like cod. Cod is a spray and pray game. Try playing cs like that and you wouldn't get a single kill. Someone could be right in front of you and if you are spraying you are not hitting them in cs. Do you even play the game?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Was never a big Counter Strike fan

xWoW_Rougex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 xWoW_Rougex
Member since 2009 • 2793 Posts

Tribes: Ascend is my to go shooter. At least until I get to lvl 10 in the game and realize that the design is pretty crappy with how the whole games revolves around the godfinders, which spend like 80% of their time singleplaying the outskirts of the map.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#35  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

My friend still plays it .

g0ddyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 g0ddyX
Member since 2005 • 3914 Posts

Titanfall, COD series, Team Fortress 2, CS:GO, CS:source with run maps, BF4, Halo are the common addictive FPS games.

Console_Caesar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Console_Caesar
Member since 2014 • 46 Posts

CS what? Oh that PC exclusive series that came to consoles? Aww nothing stays on PC, no good exclusives :(

On topic: Killzone is my go-to shooter, it's much better than CS too.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60679 Posts

I was addicted to it early on, haven't played it in quite some time.

p3anut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 p3anut
Member since 2005 • 6609 Posts

Yes I still play it and I make a bit of money selling guns/crates etc. I sold a crate yesterday for 11 bucks.

thr1llh0us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 thr1llh0us
Member since 2007 • 130 Posts

I've been playing it since it was a HL mod. Still love me some CS:GO every few nights.

Get out of there its gonna blow!

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#42 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44503 Posts

I loved Counter-Strike years ago, ruined my first year of college... now there's better online competitive games. I'm a big fan of Battlefield, I like the focus on teamwork, the balancing of classes, the ability to be a ground soldier or climb into a jet, helicopter, tank, jeep, ATV, whatever. Though the one thing I liked about Counter-Strike was the one life thing, you die you wait until the match is over. So it helps to play with caution, plan things out better, move cautiously. In today's gaming dying is inconsequential, you just wait a second or two to respawn and run into battle haphazardly.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

I've regularly played Counter-Strike for about 14 years...in my opinion it's the best online multiplayer FPS of all time. No other FPS has anything on it... it's too fun to play. Why? To simply put it, other online competitive shooters have too much bullshit and fluff.

When CS:S came out, I played it and enjoyed it, but still found 1.6 superior for quite some time. Eventually my problems with CS:S got ironed out and I never looked back. I've been playing CS:GO since beta and I've always found it enjoyable, though not really any notable improvement over CS:S. I simply enjoy the less predictable recoil patterns and superior graphics.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

counter strike is a great game, but feels to boring after so much titanfall

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

Still the best online FPS available, nothing is as tight, polished and precise as the shooting in that game,

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

@console_caesar said:

CS what? Oh that PC exclusive series that came to consoles? Aww nothing stays on PC, no good exclusives :(

On topic: Killzone is my go-to shooter, it's much better than CS too.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Lulu_Lulu

Theres alot of Elitist Energy in the atmosphere surounding.... well every thing Valve does.

I honestly think Gears of War is a better Multiplayer Shooter.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#48  Edited By speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14411 Posts

@ShepardCommandr said:

@R3FURBISHED said:

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#49 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14411 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Theres alot of Elitist Energy in the atmosphere surounding.... well every thing Valve does.

I honestly think Gears of War is a better Multiplayer Shooter.

Valve are Gods. Get down on your knees you console peasant. Beg for forgivness for your second statement.

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

Yeah I still play CS and CoD4 (PC) every now and then