Sticking to one vs getting all the consoles

  • 137 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
#1 Posted by The_Last_Ride (72999 posts) -

I've been debating with myself lately in if i should buy all the consoles or even just buy another one to sit there with my PS4. The only real reason i would do it would be for the exclusives, but there would be games i would not afford otherwise though with me just having one.

With me being a student, and a Wii U costing 550 and X1 coming in september at 700 bucks. It is still a lot of money and a lot of games i wouldn't be to afford. But i would be able to buy the exclusives on them. It's probably a question most (not all) are asking themselves aswell. I actually want to buy the other consoles because i would like to have them all, but i would also like the focus of one console and being able to explore all of the games on it.

Does anyone feel the same about this or is it just me?

#2 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (14683 posts) -

Wheres Secrete Option Number 3 ?

#3 Posted by roulettethedog (10991 posts) -

I felt like you did LAST generation. I find none of the games appealing, so I will not buy any of the 3 new consoles till there is enough great games to play. The Wii U has no appeal as it is just a glamorized tablet.

#4 Posted by Gue1 (10419 posts) -

with how slow this gen is going you could get all the consoles and play every game you're interested in before the end of the year.

#5 Edited by finalstar2007 (25341 posts) -

Last generation i owned pretty much all systems except the Nintendo console and i felt that was a huge mistake so this generation i shall only stick to PlayStation it has the multiplats and the exclusives so get the best of both worlds.

sticking to one system is cheaper too you just buy one system and buy any games related tot hat system without having to worry about buying any other systems or the games at least thats what i think.

#6 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (8550 posts) -

@finalstar2007 said:

Last generation i owned pretty much all systems except the Nintendo console and i felt that was a huge mistake so this generation i shall only stick to PlayStation it has the multiplats and the exclusives so get the best of both worlds.

sticking to one system is cheaper too you just buy one system and buy any games related tot hat system without having to worry about buying any other systems or the games at least thats what i think.

You can get a WiiU and play all the great Wii games you missed last gen.

#7 Posted by Heil68 (45769 posts) -

I buy all the consoles eventually because the exclusives are worth playing.

#8 Posted by TheGuardian03 (21981 posts) -

@speedfreak48t5p said:

@finalstar2007 said:

Last generation i owned pretty much all systems except the Nintendo console and i felt that was a huge mistake so this generation i shall only stick to PlayStation it has the multiplats and the exclusives so get the best of both worlds.

sticking to one system is cheaper too you just buy one system and buy any games related tot hat system without having to worry about buying any other systems or the games at least thats what i think.

You can get a WiiU and play all the great Wii games you missed last gen.

Exactly, the Wii has some amazing games to play. and the best JRPG Xenoblade.

#9 Posted by Floppy_Jim (25810 posts) -

I'm scaling way down from the 7th gen. One console will do fine.

#10 Posted by starwolf474 (738 posts) -

I don't like to miss out on anything, so I always buy all of the consoles.

I want to be able to choose among the best games that each system has to offer and not have to settle for picking up a console's average games just because it is the only console I own.

I also find that each system excels at a certain type of gaming experience. PlayStation offers the best single player experiences, Xbox is the best console for playing online games with friends, and Nintendo offers the best couch party and co-op games to play with my girlfriend and people that typically are not big gamers.

And the icing on the cake for owning all of the consoles is being able to sit back and get amusement out of watching fanboys that only own one console try so hard to justify to their purchase decision by bashing the other consoles any chance they get and trying to justify every one of their own console's faults.

#11 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16995 posts) -

Well, you could just stick with one console for a few years. Buy all the multiplats and exclusives for that. And in a few years when XBone and Wii U are cheap you can get them for the exclusives you missed.

As a student you have to make choices. You could get more consoles, but that would mean you'll have less money for games.

#12 Posted by MBirdy88 (8443 posts) -

PC and Nintendo.... don't worry about the other 2.... I bet even FF/KH will see a PC release now.... Square Enix are going everywhere.

What will you miss out on? a bunch of shallow graphic whoring 1st party franchises that neglect gameplay.... so don't worry.

#13 Posted by clyde46 (46803 posts) -

You could get them all but I'd wait. I started the 7th gen with the 360 but by the end of the gen I was mostly playing on PC with a PS3 for the console side of things.

#14 Posted by DocSanchez (1726 posts) -

Get a PS4 and a PC and that's all you need IMHO. At least for now. X1 will eventually pick up enough steam to be a good buy. I'd say the same to anyone currently with a X1. The best of the gen will be multiplats.

#15 Posted by Zethrickk382 (218 posts) -

I'll wait for the next Nintendo console and play the wii u backlog. As for Microsoft, Scalebound is the only game that's mildly peaked my intrest.

Ps4/Pc have me covered.

#16 Posted by pyro1245 (959 posts) -

Unfortunately with the industry like it is you have to buy at least 4 pieces of redundant hardware if you want to enjoy all the good games. It's really dumb.

Get a PC; most games end up there eventually.

#17 Posted by inb4uall (5806 posts) -

Time is also a factor. PC and Wii U allow you to play the best first party in the industry along with the best version of 3rd party multiplats. Then I have a 3DS vita for best first party on the go and (what was in theory going to be the best) Multiplats on the go. Didn't quite work out that way, but now I have a portable indie machine. xP

#18 Posted by The_Last_Ride (72999 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

with how slow this gen is going you could get all the consoles and play every game you're interested in before the end of the year.

yeah, but i lack the money getting both this year.

#19 Posted by inb4uall (5806 posts) -

@Floppy_Jim said:

I'm scaling way down from the 7th gen. One console will do fine.

Which one did you pick?

#20 Posted by Floppy_Jim (25810 posts) -

@inb4uall said:

@Floppy_Jim said:

I'm scaling way down from the 7th gen. One console will do fine.

Which one did you pick?

None yet but I'll get a PS4 around the time Bloodborne releases.

#21 Posted by osan0 (12820 posts) -

i bought all the console close to launch last gen and its a decision i came to regret. i just didnt use the PS3 or 360 very often and the wii having very long dry spells.. last gen for me was 90% PC, Wii and DS and most of that was PC.

so this gen im just going to wait until games arrive that actually interest me before i get them. i havent bought a next gen console yet but the wiiu looks to be the first on the list. its built up a bit of a backlog now since release.

i will probably get a PS4 some time in 2015-2016 (one clear message from E3...next gen actually starts 2015 :P).

i will still keep an eye on the X1 also but i would prefer an SKU with the TV tuner hardware removed. i dont see myself getting that until towards the end of gen though.

#22 Posted by ConanTheStoner (5984 posts) -

I always get them all, but I might go without an X1 this gen. I already have everything else and just don't know if I'll have time for another platform. Hell, I don't even have time for the platforms I have as it is.

#23 Posted by commonfate (12491 posts) -

Stepping back hard from owning it all and trying to play it all.

PS4 - primary console with a sprinkling of Nintendo exclusives on the Wii U. Granted I'm still playing my PS3 more than anything else but hey, things will change in time.

#24 Posted by dobzilian (2490 posts) -

Ive owned all 3 last gen consoles. I owned my Wii until the WiiU came out and sold it, it had some wonderful games and the best first party games. 360 had some good first party games and the best third party games. The PS3 I have owned 3 months now and yet to play anything but FFXIV as there isnt anything which makes me want to purchase ajything on it part from 2 3rd party games called bioshock 3 and MGS revengence.

This Gen looks worse than last with 0 on the PS4 which I would play but FFXIV, XBONE has at least Platinum new game being released on it and mirrors edge and the WiU has Bayonetta 2.

The Pc and WiiU combo looks best.

#25 Posted by commonfate (12491 posts) -

@DocSanchez said:

Get a PS4 and a PC and that's all you need IMHO. At least for now. X1 will eventually pick up enough steam to be a good buy. I'd say the same to anyone currently with a X1. The best of the gen will be multiplats.

Those are probably the two most redundant systems to own at this point. Granted I'm sure that will change but isn't the PS4 a bit lacking in the exclusives department?

#26 Posted by FinalFighters (1639 posts) -

im going with PS4 and PC this gen. although i did buy a used halo reach edition Xbox 360 for super cheap ($100) recently so i can play all the halo and gears of war games i missed out on last gen

#27 Posted by cainetao11 (18001 posts) -

I have always gotten the PS and Xbox. I'll do the same this gen. WiiU is impressive though. But I am a student now as well, and although the GI Bill does pay a decent living stipend, I am low on time for gaming. I am unsure at this point when I'll get another console.

#28 Posted by sSubZerOo (43331 posts) -

As a PC gamer looking into the console scene.. The XboxOne and PS4 are entirely too similar to one another for me to make a real decision between the two.. Furthermore they have lost the majority of their unique exclusives from last two gens that really defined their "unique" brand.. The only company that seems to have kept their identity is Nintendo.. The fact of the matter is what few exclusives either system has, there are similar games to it either multiplat or on their rival machine..

#29 Edited by y7jzdgy (38 posts) -

@DocSanchez said:

Get a PS4 and a PC and that's all you need IMHO. At least for now. X1 will eventually pick up enough steam to be a good buy. I'd say the same to anyone currently with a X1. The best of the gen will be multiplats.

Why would anyone buy a PS4 over an X1 except for personal game preference?

#30 Posted by DocSanchez (1726 posts) -

@y7jzdgy: I can't be bothered. The argument you have worked out? Have it in your head. You might even win it that time.

#31 Edited by inb4uall (5806 posts) -

@DocSanchez said:

@y7jzdgy: I can't be bothered. The argument you have worked out? Have it in your head. You might even win it that time.

I agree. The wii U is the only console fit to sit beside a gaming PC. How in the world did he come up with PS4 or Xbone. Just lel

#32 Posted by DocSanchez (1726 posts) -

@commonfate: How is the PC redundant? I don't even need to go into that one. And you realise that we're at the start of the gen, and that any console which will be getting the multiplats will have the majority of good games. And considering there were lots of exclusives on show at E3, you must know that unless you are thinking incredibly short term, you can buy a console on what it will get throughout its life as opposed to what it has right now.

So what are the alternatives to PS4 and PC? And are they worth the money?

#33 Posted by DocSanchez (1726 posts) -

@inb4uall: I love how pathetic Nintendo fans think the PC is a trump card for them. Nobody can argue for wii u on it's own merits. Second console bollocks.

#34 Edited by trugs26 (5672 posts) -

I think buying all the consoles is going too far, and you'll potentially miss out on a lot of gems since you'll be playing the "best" on each system. Honestly, getting a PC and one of the consoles which has the best exclusives is my suggestion. If you really don't want a PC, then consider a Steambox when it comes out (which is essentially a PC in disguise).

#35 Posted by inb4uall (5806 posts) -

@DocSanchez said:

@inb4uall: I love how pathetic Nintendo fans think the PC is a trump card for them. Nobody can argue for wii u on it's own merits. Second console bollocks.

I only want to play the best games in the best way possible. Nintendo undeniably has the best first party and the PC has the indisputable best 3rd party. Nothing else is worth my time.

#36 Posted by Videodogg (12602 posts) -

WiiU and your pick of PC, PS4, or Xbone as secondary game platforms. Seriously.

#37 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (6423 posts) -

@trugs26 said:

I think buying all the consoles is going too far, and you'll potentially miss out on a lot of gems since you'll be playing the "best" on each system. Honestly, getting a PC and one of the consoles which has the best exclusives is my suggestion. If you really don't want a PC, then consider a Steambox when it comes out (which is essentially a PC in disguise).

That's a good point about missing out on a lot of the little gems... If I owned more than 1 console, I definitely wouldn't spend as much on the smaller titles or lesser known games. That's another reason I usually stick to one.

#38 Posted by lawlessx (46855 posts) -

i will get all of them sooner or later. I don't like the idea of being limited when it comes to gaming.

#39 Posted by Coco_pierrot (355 posts) -

Personaly I've always sticked to one consol per gen, last gen being the exception because I bought a 3DS and have my PS3 for a very long time.

So right now I'm looking at the PS4, X1 and WiiU and only the Wii U interest me but I fear that too much Mario will get me sick quick but at the same time, Nintendo makes very fun game. My 3DS reminded me how much I missed Nintendo games.

#40 Edited by DocSanchez (1726 posts) -

@inb4uall: Undeniably? No. Only in the world of the Nintendo fanboy is this taken for granted. One single screenshot of the next zelda game is all people need to go ape. These people are not to be trusted on matters of cold heart truth. If your idea of a great first party is more 2D platformers and games you've played before then by all means go for it. But let's not pretend that it's actually a console worth forking out money for. It isn't.

#41 Posted by inb4uall (5806 posts) -

@DocSanchez said:

@inb4uall: Undeniably? No. Only in the world of the Nintendo fanboy is this taken for granted. One single screenshot of the next zelda game is all people need to go ape. These people are not to be trusted on matters of cold heart truth. If your idea of a great first party is more 2D platformers and games you've played before then by all means go for it. But let's not pretend that it's actually a console worth forking out money for. It isn't.

You're hilarious. What do you think is more worthy of purchase? The PS4? HA! It's selling on hype alone. The Xbone? Phil himself admitted that Nintendo has the best first party around. The Wii U is the only console worthy of purchase.

#42 Posted by CrownKingArthur (5081 posts) -

normally by this stage of a new gen, i would have a console by now.

so far there's nothing on the other platforms i'm in any urgency to experience.

#43 Edited by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

you said it yourself, you really don't have the money to spare to get other console and get let it collect dust.

One is really enough, Sure you miss out on some exclusive but there is shit load of 3 party games for every one exclusive

#44 Posted by DocSanchez (1726 posts) -

@inb4uall: We've been over this too many times, and frankly, you don't know what you're talking about. We're at the very start of the gen, not the end. After a full year and a half wii u hasn't got nearly enough quality to justify a purchase especially at full (extortionate) price. It has, on the horizon, very few games, and the multiplats have dried up, even from Ubisoft. (The fanboys are going to be boycotting Ubisoft's third party for this treachery, because apparenty Ubisoft owes Nintendo a living) All it has is Nintendo's (To me, overrated) first party. And we can argue back and forth about whether that alone is worth it, but the fact of the matter is, the gaming community has turned its back on Nintendo.

A single screenshot of zelda, a toad platformer, a yarn mess, and yet another mario kart may be enough to placate you. In the meantime I could write a list of the mature titles that you're not getting but it's so large I would be here all night.

Face it. Nintendo sold you an underpowered mess again, with an unnecessary gimmick. You can try to justify it all you want. But you wont be playing Witcher 3 on it. You wont be playing anything rockstar brings out on it. You wont be playing any more ubisoft third party, any EA sports title. No From Software, no Bioware, no Bethesda, even listing the developers not having anything to do with the piece of crap is too time consuming. The bottom line is, gamers and developers, all turned their backs on Nintendo. And Nintendo are down to it's fanboys again. You people can argue until you're blue in the face about first party quality but the truth is staring you in the face.

#45 Posted by santoron (7792 posts) -

I swore going into this gen I'd stick to one console to pair with PC. I'm probably going to break that and add a WiiU eventually, but I'm going to hold out as long as possible.

#46 Posted by The_Last_Ride (72999 posts) -

@Coco_pierrot said:

Personaly I've always sticked to one consol per gen, last gen being the exception because I bought a 3DS and have my PS3 for a very long time.

So right now I'm looking at the PS4, X1 and WiiU and only the Wii U interest me but I fear that too much Mario will get me sick quick but at the same time, Nintendo makes very fun game. My 3DS reminded me how much I missed Nintendo games.

It was an exception for me aswell as i had a 360 and PS3

#47 Edited by inb4uall (5806 posts) -

@DocSanchez said:

the mature titles

And there is the real reason for your disdain for nintendo. When you're old enough to realize that games don't have to be "mature" to be fun I might take you seriously.

#48 Posted by Coco_pierrot (355 posts) -

@DocSanchez:

In your list I would only miss Bethesda, all the other I have no interest.

Also Nintendo isn't completely abandonned ... the 3DS still sell a lot and it has many unique 3rd party games on top of the best Nintendo has to offer.

The sad thing is everything Sony and Microsoft showed at E3 was boring at best but between the two Microsoft seems more interesting in the near future with is Halo Collection and Halo 5.

#49 Edited by farrell2k (6675 posts) -

I can only imagine what kind of a complete loser has so much time to waste playing games on three different consoles. Not even children have that kind of time.

#50 Posted by Pray_to_me (2921 posts) -

I went with PS3, 360, PC and Wii last gen and it was a waste. This gen I'm sticking with PS4 only not even messing with a gaming PC because I like to rent borrow and trade my games and I'm no longer interested in having a big ass tower in my living room.