Sterling: PS1 fix shows how little the Vita means to sony.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

The gist for those who can't be bothered to watch his significantly more eloquently worded video:

Sony is sitting on a mountain of content in the back catalog, PS1 and PSP games that many of us flocked to download during that brief glitch that made them available. The choice to fix it highlights that they can't be assed to even make this content available, and thus the system more appealing.

Despite knowing people want these games, that they would only be slight porting work and potential licensing fee away from being made available to every Vita, and that many like the Crash and Spyro games are in fact available in some regions and working on the system, just not in others. they have all this potential content sitting there, they just can't be assed to make it available and thus, there is less value for potential customers to in turn be assed to buy it.

Also some footnotes about the ridiculously expensive memory cards, that more could be done to court indy devs and how goddamn shameful it is that they are now tethering it to the PS4 in a desperate search for a selling point.

Well, thoughts? Obviously the Vita could use content beyond a back catalog, but it sure as hell couldn't hurt to make all this stuff available to play. I myself was over the moon when I could finally play CTR on my Vita, and raged when I found it was a mistake. thankfully I downloaded when I did.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#2 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

lolVita

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

So if the content works, it seems kind of dumb to prevent it on Vita

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Yes this shows how little Sony cares

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

Viva la Vita

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts

It's part of their plan to leave nintendo win the handheld wars.

melonfarmerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 melonfarmerz
Member since 2014 • 1294 Posts

Didn't they have to prevent it because licensing or something?

Mr-Kutaragi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Mr-Kutaragi
Member since 2013 • 2466 Posts

"would only be slight porting work and potential licensing fee away from being made available to every Vita,"

Wow he make sound so simple. If he study to be lawyer or programmer he could already solve these problem himself.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

@melonfarmerz said:

Didn't they have to prevent it because licensing or something?

The point is that two years into the life of the thing, it's not an excuse. it's a lack of wanting.

@Mr-Kutaragi said:

"would only be slight porting work and potential licensing fee away from being made available to every Vita,"

Wow he make sound so simple. If he study to be lawyer or programmer he could already solve these problem himself.

See above

Oh, also the fact that many of the most requested ones are already working in other regions.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44551 Posts

While this is a Sony problem, it's just as bad, if not worse, on Nintendo's end. Both companies have mountains of licenses that they control which they can release on their digital stores.

Some part of me wonder's though if the reason for some of the delays comes largely from contracts with old studios, royalty contracts or significant shares or rights being owned by defunct studios/publishers.

One thing I hope Sony fixes is their rights system, it started on a 5 system limit on PS3 then got knocked down to a 2 system share due to people sharing too much. I much prefer a rights system like MS has. Hell even Nintendo is slowly working their way there, though it's still a problem how they do rights transfers. This would make digital downloads more appealing if one didn't have to worry about the limitations of the systems, say ones PS4 dies or their VITA gets stolen, that they can recover their digital rights later on and not have to worry about download limits. Plus it would be nice to share content on both PS consoles and handhelds. That's another thing that bugs me about Nintendo, they don't share rights. If I bought Wii VC titles on my Wii I should be able to redownload them on the Wii U or 2D/3DS; it won't allow that. Say I bought Metroid on Wii VC, to access it after the convoluted rights transfer I'd need to play it on the WIi U's Wii emulator thingy, and I'm not allowed function of playing it with the tablet controller and screen. For that ability, I'd need to buy the entire thing over again. Bullshit.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

@lamprey263 said:

While this is a Sony problem, it's just as bad, if not worse, on Nintendo's end. Both companies have mountains of licenses that they control which they can release on their digital stores.

Some part of me wonder's though if the reason for some of the delays comes largely from contracts with old studios, royalty contracts or significant shares or rights being owned by defunct studios/publishers.

Nintendo is another conversation completely. it's completely a porting thing with many of their games, since they flat out own most of the big titles people would want to see.

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

Whatever the reason, we end up with the short end of the stick.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

At least it isn't the 3DS. I can't even remember the last time I played a 3DS game. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#14 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@inb4uall said:

At least it isn't the 3DS. I can't even remember the last time I played a 3DS game. :P

You were playing Mario Kart an hour ago, ninny

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@inb4uall said:

You were playing Mario Kart an hour ago, ninny

I was making an inside joke with DSS. Now shoo!

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

It's their plan to take all the games away so we are forced to use the more profitable ps now. This way we will never own the game, and will have to pay Sony every time we want to rent it.

$$$.

fgjnfgh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 fgjnfgh
Member since 2005 • 2649 Posts

they could take exclusives for Vita. Localizing games like Super Robot series. That would be an awesome step.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Yep, Sony hates the Vita.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

I wonder who cares less about the Vita, me or Sony? That is a damn good question.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

@FoxbatAlpha said:

I wonder who cares less about the Vita, me or Sony? That is a damn good question.

I'd guess Sony.

You at least cared enough to open up this thread and reply.

rogelio22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 rogelio22
Member since 2006 • 2477 Posts

@lamprey263: you can deactivate lost, stolen or broken ps3s so you can activate new ones through sonys website ive done it before.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

the contrast is quite striking where sony's being so aggressive with the ps4 while not giving a single **** about the vita. No wonder nobody buys that shit.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60710 Posts

@_Matt_ said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

I'd guess Sony.

You at least cared enough to open up this thread and reply.

lel

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#24 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

I have a Vita, and it's obvious that Sony doesn't really care about it, nor do they bother listening.