Steam, Valve and gaben are overrated

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Butcer2 (59 posts) -

I dont get it why people think steam and gabe are so great, valve is just a company that got really lucky with one game and is extremly incompent and has a eltisit attiude

Vaporware

Valve has shown extreme incompetence in manginge to release products for example team fortress 2 , half life episode 3, total lack of communication with public is infuriating with valve also with valve secrecy attitude how do they expect to sell any amount of steamboxes? The console market does not want a company that keeps everything secret and cannot release anything on time

#2 Edited by CrownKingArthur (3686 posts) -

just recently at valve's own conference gabe clarified something i've said many times. steambox/steamos isnt forced on anyone. its an option.

you can download the Steam OS for free. you can build the pc for cheaper - it wouldn't make sense if their goal was to shift units, now would it? the goal is to give consumers a viable option for a gaming OS alternate to windows because windows costs money and gives microsoft some authority.

as soon as project cars releases it has steam os support which hopefully means any Steam compatible Linux, i am going to take some spare parts and a g27 wheel i already own and build a second rig running ubuntu+steam. i already bort a bunch of windows licences and quite frankly i feel like microsoft has taken more than enough of my money.

in terms of how good valve is i'd put them in my top 10.

#3 Posted by handssss (1623 posts) -

cause they have a good online service.

but yeah considering half-life is pretty generic save for physics and method of story telling and every other game they are credited for making were all basically just mods that they bought out, I'd say they are definitely overrated.

#4 Edited by Shmiity (4964 posts) -

I like the Steam service. I don't like Valve games that much.

#5 Posted by Jankarcop (8827 posts) -

not as bad as consoles companies

#6 Posted by wis3boi (30881 posts) -

0/10

#7 Posted by edidili (3446 posts) -

@Butcer2 said:

valve is just a company that got really lucky with one game

What do you mean one game? They're one the few companies that made good games consistently. I've enjoyed CS, TF2, L4D, Portal, Dota. I can't name a single game from them that I can consider failure or even average.

#8 Posted by Basinboy (10918 posts) -

The only thing overrated about Valve is the criticism forum junkies spew out on sites like this.

So there.

/poor comeback

#9 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (15730 posts) -
@Butcer2 said:
total lack of communication with public is infuriating with valve also with valve secrecy attitude how do they expect to sell any amount of steamboxes? The console market does not want a company that keeps everything secret and cannot release anything on time

Secrets? What secrets?

#10 Posted by PannicAtack (20849 posts) -

So TF2 should have been released before it was ready?

#11 Posted by Hexagon_777 (20018 posts) -
#12 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

1. Valve makes more money per employee than Microsoft.

2. Have they failed yet at anything? they should if they haven't its good for character but after listening to Gabe talk several times i think he is aware of that.

#13 Edited by AmazonTreeBoa (16444 posts) -

Somebody change TC's diaper already. Feed him or something. Just stop his crying please.

#14 Edited by MBirdy88 (7137 posts) -
#15 Posted by PannicAtack (20849 posts) -

@edidili: But Valve didn't actually make those, they just hired the guys making them. Because that's totally a distinction.

#16 Edited by heretrix (37244 posts) -

@Butcer2 said:

valve is just a company that got really lucky with one game......

Half Life 1 & 2

Left For Dead

Portal 1 & 2

Team Fortress

Learn to count.

#17 Posted by MBirdy88 (7137 posts) -

@Butcer2 said:

I dont get it why people think steam and gabe are so great, valve is just a company that got really lucky with one game and is extremly incompent and has a eltisit attiude

Half-Life 1-2

Counterstrike: Go (or well any mod from half-life exists because of them in the first place.) including things like Garry's Mod.

Portal 1,2

Left4Dead 1,2

Team fortress 2 (amazing to this day.)

DoTa 2 (an exclusive far bigger than any console game.)

#18 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

@edidili: But Valve didn't actually make those, they just hired the guys making them. Because that's totally a distinction.

I heard a lecture from Gabe on his business model. After that lecture I was totally sold.

#19 Edited by MBirdy88 (7137 posts) -

so, he hired the guys ... so... they made them. as hired people.

buying talent is not a negative.

#20 Posted by lostrib (31456 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

@PannicAtack said:

Yeah, the whole valve never makes anything they just buy up mods is really dumb

#21 Edited by TheEroica (13010 posts) -

Wow, those are some really legit thoughts you have there... I think we'll all change our opinion... *eye roll*

I think Valve has shown time and time again that they are quite happy being and doing what they choose, because gamers trust them to care for the hobby... The fact that the consoles want to be steam at this point just adds to the valve domination continuation... They're changing the industry doing what they want...

#22 Edited by k2theswiss (16598 posts) -

gaben is treated like a god, thats funny but no gabe would = no steam. Steam may have its issues but, brings greatness to pc community. stram has tons to offer.

sure you can claim that they take a while to release games You want but thats how valve works. they all their empoyees to choose what they wish to work on and not force them making somethimg they dont want. thats why we end up with great games from

#23 Posted by wis3boi (30881 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@PannicAtack said:

Yeah, the whole valve never makes anything they just buy up mods is really dumb

maybe it's another peasant tactic to discredit the power of mods