Steam Streaming = Death of the console?

• 128 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

http://time.com/107836/steam-in-home-streaming-now-available-lets-you-play-pc-games-on-virtually-any-computer/

Steam allows you to stream PC games over your home network, trumping Nvidia's Shield offering by not limiting it to Nvidia 600 series. Will this be another pipe dream for Valve or will this toll the bell on the home console?

jake44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By jake44
Member since 2003 • 2085 Posts

No.

TLHBO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 TLHBO
Member since 2003 • 8360 Posts

No, there will always be fanboys too proud to leave their system behind no matter how superior the experience is on PC.

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

@Desmonic said:

Pipe dream in the sense that it won't be something that the mainstream will adopt (at least anytime soon).

It´s already adopted. It´s just a software.

AmazonAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By AmazonAngry
Member since 2014 • 968 Posts

So you can stream indies? Uh..yay.

Console exclusives = consoles live on with pc in its shadow.

God, pc gaming is such shit filth.

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jhonMalcovich

@Desmonic said:

@jhonMalcovich said:

@Desmonic said:

Pipe dream in the sense that it won't be something that the mainstream will adopt (at least anytime soon).

It´s already adopted. It´s just a software.

lol

What an intelligent response.

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jhonMalcovich

@Desmonic said:

@jhonMalcovich said:

If you can't see why this won't catch the mainstream I don't know what to tell you besides: lol.

Do you even know Steam homestreaming works ?

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

Why would this kill consoles? It's like Steamboxes killing the. Maybe one day, but teh Xbox and PS are stablished consoles at this point. It will take a long time before most start moving away.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Why do people keep trying to make things seem bigger than they actually are ?

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jhonMalcovich

@Desmonic said:

@jhonMalcovich said:

@Desmonic said:

@jhonMalcovich said:

If you can't see why this won't catch the mainstream I don't know what to tell you besides: lol.

Do you even know Steam homestreaming works ?

Precisely because I know how it works. It'll do wonders for some, don't get me wrong, but the chances of it becoming a mainstream success are slim.

Let me see...

1. You have 2 up-to-date Steam clients running on 2 PCs connected to the same Wi-fi network.

2. So after you start a game on one PC, when you click to install the same game on the other PC, the install option is replaced with stream. And it works on Windows, Mac and Linux.

And it doesn´t require the installation of any addition software. It´s already incorporated into your steam with the latest update. It´s just there to take if you want. The option that will keep existing if you don´t even want it.

It basically turn your not gaming laptops, MacBooks, netbooks, etc, into gaming hd laptops/consoles.

I just don´t see how this wouldn´t work.

It´s definitely a better option than Vita or WiiU streaming.

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jhonMalcovich

It won´t kill consoles for one reason. Steam Homestreaming requires to have one good gaming PC, and the problem with consolites is that they refuse to buy a gaming PC opting for crap such as PC4 and X1, therefore they are not able to stream from their ancient Windows XP PCs.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#16 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

It is not death of consoles but it is great feature . However , there are other things that can become a threat for consoles and can affect them in some way .

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

ermm nope. i dont want to steam, thats just a awful and clunky solution, i dont see the point of it. what steam should be doing is something like psnow

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Why would that kill consoles? You can Steam Stream all day long but it still doesn't get you the likes of TLOU, GTA V, RDR, Demon's Souls, Infamous SS, Uncharted etc.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@seanmcloughlin said:

Why would that kill consoles? You can Steam Stream all day long but it still doesn't get you the likes of TLOU, GTA V, RDR, Demon's Souls, Infamous SS, Uncharted etc.

GTA 5 is not out on ps4 or X1 either.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21  Edited By Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Streaming isn't as "amazing" as it was a year or two ago when it was at it's prime. Seriously why the frak would I watch someone play a video game...it takes the whole point away unless you're watching a guide or something.

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

@jhonMalcovich: I'm using or at home now to stream games at full 1080p from my PC in the basement to my weak laptop connected to my TV. I've been waiting for something like this for ages and here it is working perfectly with full graphics fidelity. The picture quality is perfect and the response time is spot on.

Any cross platform games are now going to live on my PC. My consoles are now only "exclusive" machines.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

@thehig1 said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

Infamous is the only one on that list that IS on either of those consoles, what's your point? Doesn't change the point I was making that you still miss out on good games no matter how good the Streaming feature is

AmazonAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By AmazonAngry
Member since 2014 • 968 Posts

@seanmcloughlin: pc fanboys just can't wrap their head around the notion that console gamers can, and often do, keep their previous gen console when moving into the new.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@seanmcloughlin said:

@thehig1 said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

Infamous is the only one on that list that IS on either of those consoles, what's your point? Doesn't change the point I was making that you still miss out on good games no matter how good the Streaming feature is

My point is that your including GTA 5, when its likely to be due on PC with x1 and ps4 versions

SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

I'm not really interested in this, although it could be handy the next time I decide I want to play Civ 5 on the tv.

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27  Edited By flashn00b
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts

Nope. Streaming is there to bandaid the fact that Valve wanted to make a Linux-based game console.

If Valve wants the average joe to get into PC gaming, they would've invested in launch titles, because the Linux library to me is an indication that they clearly aren't spending enough money on SteamOS.

I'd much rather they offer "premium" models with Windows 7 installed, but they're too fixated on Linux. Wake me up when Valve decides to pay Namco to bring Tales of Zestiria to PC/Linux.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

@Ballroompirate said:

Streaming isn't as "amazing" as it was a year or two ago when it was at it's prime. Seriously why the frak would I watch someone play a video game...it takes the whole point away unless you're watching a guide or something.

I don't think you understand what this thread is about

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@Ballroompirate said:

Someone has no idea what is going on here

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Ballroompirate
@kraken2109 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

I don't think you understand what this thread is about

Ah just read the article, thought it was streaming as in game streaming and not streaming games between computers in the same house.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@Ballroompirate said:

might help to learn what something is before complaining about it

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Ballroompirate

@wis3boi said:

@Ballroompirate said:

read the post above you might help.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By clyde46

@Desmonic said:

@jhonMalcovich said:

Let me see...

1. You have 2 up-to-date Steam clients running on 2 PCs connected to the same Wi-fi network.

2. So after you start a game on one PC, when you click to install the same game on the other PC, the install option is replaced with stream. And it works on Windows, Mac and Linux.

And it doesn´t require the installation of any addition software. It´s already incorporated into your steam with the latest update. It´s just there to take if you want. The option that will keep existing if you don´t even want it.

It basically turn your not gaming laptops, MacBooks, netbooks, etc, into gaming hd laptops/consoles.

I just don´t see how this wouldn´t work.

It´s definitely a better option than Vita or WiiU streaming.

I know how it works. I already told you so.

What will stop this from grabbing the mainstream is the following(IMO):

1- It's built upon the premise of the user owning 1 very decent PC + another PC like device (or one compatible to receive the stream and all that it implies, like running Steam)

2- Even though it uses your own Wi-if, the average user has crappy Internet service still (unfortunately). So quality of service will vary wildly from house to house.

3- Couch gaming (which seems to be the best premise for the service) doesn't really work with with KB+M. Unless you get a controller (and this wouldn't really work with PC only games like RTS, MOBAS, and the like) or a proper stand for your couch, it's just not gonna work all that well.

4- Finally, those that are in the right conditions to enjoy this service at it's fullest, probably don't have much interest in it to begin with. Why stream when they can play on their good monitor (without risking losing any quality whatsoever)? Or why not just make a direct connection to the TV?

It's a nice idea, but I don't think it'll be something the mainstream will adopt. For me personally, it may come in handy a couple of times, but I'd rather just play as is.

1. You could use cheap laptop as the main lifting is done by the gaming machine in the office. All you need to do is to connect the laptop to the TV.

2. Nothing to do with internet, its using your local network.

3. True but now I can have the option of playing either in the office at my desk or in the living with the big TV without having to either cart my PC around from room to room whenever I want a change of scenery or having to spend money on building another big PC.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#38 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

Steam is primarily full of bad indie games that aren't finished. It's in a terrible state.

Consoles win.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@Ballroompirate said:

@wis3boi said:

@Ballroompirate said:

read the post above you might help.

read the time difference and see i posted mine when you were typing yours too.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Steam is primarily full of bad indie games that aren't finished. It's in a terrible state.

Consoles win.

lolno

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By clyde46

@Desmonic: Local streaming has nothing to do with your ISP. I don't need an ISP to have a local network.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

It's very finnicky I got towerfall ascension to work for example but not blacklight Retribution.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#43 BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

@amazonangry said:

So you can stream indies? Uh..yay.

Console exclusives = consoles live on with pc in its shadow.

God, pc gaming is such shit filth. /sarcasm

FTFY

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 clyde46

@Desmonic said:

@clyde46 said:

@Desmonic: Local streaming has nothing to do with your ISP. I don't need an ISP to have a local network.

True, you don't need any ISP or any sort of internet access to create a local network. But you're missing the point. The way they word it on their own website seems to imply that's not the "route" (dat pun) they're taking.

All they ever mention is your "Home Network". So they either:

A) Expect you, the user, to setup your own local network

or

B) By having the machines logged in at the same time (which is indeed a requirement) they'll "usurp" the network provided by your ISP to "create" a local network and connect the two machines. (thus, building upon the existing HAN type networks already in place in many, many homes.)

The latter seems more plausible to be honest. I could be completely wrong though, I can't find any actual specific intel on Valves page :S

I would imagine it would be the first option. Everyone has a "home network" if they have a router, all the machines connect to said router are connected, getting them to talk to each other is the next step. Setting up a home network is not hard, a quick Google search brings up tons of how to guides and videos to help even the most technological impaired user achieve it.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3629-RIAV-1617

It seems that Steam will auto find the other machine on the network.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

well i've been planning on building a steambox for a while now.

it's good that i'll be able to play my windows games on it, should i choose to stream them. i doubt i will.

still though, a worthwhile feature on the PC platform.

SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 SakusEnvoy
Member since 2009 • 4764 Posts

Will it "kill" the console? Not a chance. The majority of Steam users will probably never use this feature.

What it potentially does, more importantly, is give PC gamers added flexibility on the ways in which they can play their games. It's been argued that you could just "simply" connect your gaming PC to a TV to get a couch playing experience. And while this is technically correct, most people who own a gaming desktop have heavy towers which are connected with a multitude of cords which make transportation to and from a separate TV room difficult and inconvenient.

It's a great first step towards giving PC gamers more options on where and how to play their games. It's definitely a cool idea, but it's certainly not for everyone. I doubt it'll sway someone who was considering a PS4. It won't affect sales of consoles in any meaningful way at all.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

I think this is great now i can just connect my laptop to my big ass tv in the living room and play there.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Console gamers like consoles for console games, so lol no.