Steam reaches 8M concurrent users

#101 Posted by santoron (7692 posts) -

Steam just keep going. I wonder when we'll see a peak?

#102 Posted by Cranler (8730 posts) -

@jhonMalcovich said:

In 2009, it was 2M for xbox360

http://www.lazygamer.net/xbox-360/xbox-live-sets-new-concurrent-user-record/

And Sony never revealed its numbers, which suggest that they never had numbers to brag about.

Funny enough that is what Steam also had back then on 2009,2 million concurrent users considering how online has grow from 2009 to 2014 i say it should be close to steam,and on PS3 probably beyond that,sony didn't talk about numbers but i played games like COD on PS3 and i use to see as high as 800K when i was playing MW3 and Black ops 2.

@Cranler said:

Hahahah Mbirdy totally owned....hahahaha

Unless he want to pretend now that Linux and Mac are the same platform as windows.

Valves word is gospel until it doesn't agree with their agenda so the hermits completely disregard this.

#103 Edited by StrifeDelivery (1395 posts) -

Well, that was the peak performance. I wonder what the average concurrent users are? Also, isn't using concurrent users a little misleading?

#104 Posted by Mr-Powers (227 posts) -

Not impressed. Really, I thought it would be double that.

#105 Posted by lundy86_4 (43010 posts) -

Not impressed. Really, I thought it would be double that.

Why?

#106 Edited by Cranler (8730 posts) -

@Cranler said:

@bldgirsh said:

@Cranler: PC's does stand for Personal Computers. You just said it for yourself. Then you went to the common misconception that only windows based OS qualify as a PC.

@roler42 said:

@Cranler: Funny... I thought Personal Computer (PC) meant Personal Computer...

SPeaking of the word funny, it has multiple meaning too. Did you miss the part where I said pc has multiple meanings? It stands for personal computers but is more commonly used in referring to windows based computers.

Some of the biggest players in the industry like valve, Intel, Apple and MS refer to windows based computers as pc.

Yeah dude, totally. I once heard a big player in the industry say PC, he was referring to a computer, that ran windows. Yeah man. Also the other big player he also said that bro, don't listen to the haters man dude!

Why isn't this forum just called pc discussion?: http://www.gamespot.com/forums/pc-mac-discussion-1000004/

#107 Posted by OhSnapitz (18111 posts) -

@Cranler said:

@tormentos said:

@jhonMalcovich said:

In 2009, it was 2M for xbox360

http://www.lazygamer.net/xbox-360/xbox-live-sets-new-concurrent-user-record/

And Sony never revealed its numbers, which suggest that they never had numbers to brag about.

Funny enough that is what Steam also had back then on 2009,2 million concurrent users considering how online has grow from 2009 to 2014 i say it should be close to steam,and on PS3 probably beyond that,sony didn't talk about numbers but i played games like COD on PS3 and i use to see as high as 800K when i was playing MW3 and Black ops 2.

@Cranler said:

Hahahah Mbirdy totally owned....hahahaha

Unless he want to pretend now that Linux and Mac are the same platform as windows.

Valves word is gospel until it doesn't agree with their agenda so the hermits completely disregard this.

Ok.. So I'm not the only one who notices that..

#108 Posted by lundy86_4 (43010 posts) -

@Cranler said:

Why isn't this forum just called pc discussion?: http://www.gamespot.com/forums/pc-mac-discussion-1000004/

They are seperate OS'?

#109 Posted by Roler42 (600 posts) -

@Cranler: Are you seriously that desperate to force a new meaning to PERSONAL COMPUTER?

#110 Edited by CrownKingArthur (4432 posts) -
@Cranler said:

@parkurtommo said:

@Cranler said:

@bldgirsh said:

@Cranler: PC's does stand for Personal Computers. You just said it for yourself. Then you went to the common misconception that only windows based OS qualify as a PC.

@roler42 said:

@Cranler: Funny... I thought Personal Computer (PC) meant Personal Computer...

SPeaking of the word funny, it has multiple meaning too. Did you miss the part where I said pc has multiple meanings? It stands for personal computers but is more commonly used in referring to windows based computers.

Some of the biggest players in the industry like valve, Intel, Apple and MS refer to windows based computers as pc.

Yeah dude, totally. I once heard a big player in the industry say PC, he was referring to a computer, that ran windows. Yeah man. Also the other big player he also said that bro, don't listen to the haters man dude!

well i could come up with a theory, like because in common parlance when people say 'pc', they might just assume windows pc. when really, technically, 'pc' is the hardware.

but really i have no idea what the web designer was thinking when they named that. 'computer discussion' could work as a name.

like if i was in charge of valve, i'd redesign that 'platforms' page. i would put "pc" at the top as a title, which goes into 3 sub categories; windows, mac, Linux; and then specify supported operating systems off of that.

#111 Posted by sam890 (1093 posts) -

Not all PC gamers use Steam, consolites seem to think that.

#112 Posted by lawlessx (46560 posts) -

@sam890 said:

Not all PC gamers use Steam, consolites seem to think that.

what?..they think there are only 8 million PC gamers in the world? oh god lol

#113 Posted by osirisx3 (1756 posts) -

well there are like 1 billion pcs out there and if you want to game on pc you pretty much have no choice but to use steam.

#114 Edited by BldgIrsh (1629 posts) -

@osirisx3 said:

well there are like 1 billion pcs out there and if you want to game on pc you pretty much have no choice but to use steam.

#115 Posted by KittenNose (400 posts) -

@Cranler said:

Because of an advertizing campaign that went viral. Outside of the advertizing campaign and desperate semantic games the definitions of Mac and PC are:

The Macintosh or Mac, is a line of personal computers (PCs) designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macintosh

A personal computer (PC) is a general-purpose computer, whose size, capabilities and original sale price makes it useful for individuals, and which is intended to be operated directly by an end-user with no intervening computer operator

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_computer

#116 Posted by Cranler (8730 posts) -

@Cranler said:

They are seperate OS'?

Why is it called pc and mac instead of windows and mac?

#117 Posted by lostrib (34582 posts) -

@Cranler said:

@lundy86_4 said:

@Cranler said:

They are seperate OS'?

ask the gamespot staff, they're very receptive to questions

#118 Posted by lundy86_4 (43010 posts) -

@Cranler said:

Largely because "PC" has become synonymous with "Windows" but that doesn't negate the fact that PC is an all-encompassing term. We went through this with the release and review of Starcraft II. Guess which side won.

At the end of the day, GS caters to all users, both dumb as shit, and knowledgeable.

#119 Edited by lundy86_4 (43010 posts) -

@lostrib said:

ask the gamespot staff, they're very receptive to questions

lol'd.

#120 Posted by Cranler (8730 posts) -

@Cranler said:

Because of an advertizing campaign that went viral. Outside of the advertizing campaign and desperate semantic games the definitions of Mac and PC are:

The Macintosh or Mac, is a line of personal computers (PCs) designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macintosh

A personal computer (PC) is a general-purpose computer, whose size, capabilities and original sale price makes it useful for individuals, and which is intended to be operated directly by an end-user with no intervening computer operator

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_computer

Yet very few people follow those definitions including Valve, EA, Intel and Amazon.

So if mac, windows and linux games are all pc games then why are we comparing sales of pc games to one console?

#121 Posted by death4us2 (14 posts) -

@Cranler said:

@lundy86_4 said:

@Cranler said:

They are seperate OS'?

Because WIndows is on more than one brand of computer while Mac is just on Apple Computers.

#122 Edited by Cranler (8730 posts) -

@Cranler said:

Largely because "PC" has become synonymous with "Windows" but that doesn't negate the fact that PC is an all-encompassing term. We went through this with the release and review of Starcraft II. Guess which side won.

At the end of the day, GS caters to all users, both dumb as shit, and knowledgeable.

Console is an all encompassing term too but hermits don't want to compare pc vs console. They want to for example compare pc vs PS 3.

#123 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4432 posts) -

because often you buy the game one time only, and you can execute that same one game from windows, mac, or linux os.

#124 Edited by lundy86_4 (43010 posts) -

@Cranler said:

Console is an all encompassing term too but hermits don't want to compare pc vs console. They want to for example compare pc vs PS 3.

They compare PC versus console all the time, look at last gen's AAAE/AAE/AE tallies... They were consistently compared against all consoles. Hell, I even remember comparing them against all consoles myself... In a number of categories.

Still, we aren't addressing the PC as a term, which has been confirmed by mods (musicalmac) that Mac and Windows both count for PC... Starcraft II thread... Look it up.

#125 Posted by Cranler (8730 posts) -

@Cranler said:

They compare PC versus console all the time, look at last gen's AAAE/AAE/AE tallies... They were consistently compared against all consoles. Hell, I even remember comparing them against all consoles myself... In a number of categories.

Many hermits say it's not fair to compare all consoles to pc, that's how this whole debate started.

#126 Edited by lostrib (34582 posts) -

@Cranler said:

@lundy86_4 said:

@Cranler said:

Many hermits say it's not fair to compare all consoles to pc, that's how this whole debate started.

what does that have to do with Steam concurrent users?

#127 Edited by KittenNose (400 posts) -

@Cranler said:

Yet very few people follow those definitions including Valve, EA, Intel and Amazon.

So if mac, windows and linux games are all pc games then why are we comparing sales of pc games to one console?

Fine, I will make you a deal. Convince the Cows that we can't count the PS3 sales before they removed Linux functionality and I will concede to your semantic manipulation. After all, if Linux was supported they must have been Linux boxes, not Play Stations.

*Edit* In fact, there is a quote from Playstation.com: http://www.playstation.com/ps3-openplatform/

By installing the Linux operating system, you can use the PS3™ system not only as an entry-level personal computer with hundreds of familiar applications for home and office use, but also as a complete development environment for the Cell Broadband Engine™ (Cell/B.E.).

~sarcasm~ So if Playstations were not PCs why did PS.com call them PCs!

#128 Edited by lundy86_4 (43010 posts) -

@Cranler said:

First, define "Many." When you can't do that, who cares? Hypocrisy reins everywhere, so grow up. If that's how the whole debate started, then prove it.

If not, then get back to your rather shitty PC vs Mac point. It climbed Mount Shitty, ascended into Shitheaven, and reigned supreme from on high.

#129 Posted by lostrib (34582 posts) -

@Cranler said:

First, define "Many." When you can't do that, who cares? Hypocrisy reins everywhere, so grow up. If that's how the whole debate started, then prove it.

If not, then get back to your rather shitty PC vs Mac point. It climbed Mount Shitty, ascended into Shitheaven, and reigned supreme from on high.

Plus, this whole thing was carried out a while ago by ispeakfact and I'm pretty sure it's what lead to his eventual ban. And i believe the final ruling is that PC is a single platform, regardless of OS

#130 Edited by lundy86_4 (43010 posts) -

@lostrib said:

Plus, this whole thing was carried out a while ago by ispeakfact and I'm pretty sure it's what lead to his eventual ban. And i believe the final ruling is that PC is a single platform, regardless of OS

That's definitely the final ruling... I honestly can't remember what ispeakfact argued... At all.

#131 Posted by Cranler (8730 posts) -

@Cranler said:

Fine, I will make you a deal. Convince the Cows that we can't count the PS3 sales before they removed Linux functionality and I will concede to your semantic manipulation. After all, if Linux was supported they must have been Linux boxes, not Play Stations.

*Edit* In fact, there is a quote from Playstation.com: http://www.playstation.com/ps3-openplatform/

By installing the Linux operating system, you can use the PS3™ system not only as an entry-level personal computer with hundreds of familiar applications for home and office use, but also as a complete development environment for the Cell Broadband Engine™ (Cell/B.E.).

~sarcasm~ So if Playstations were not PCs why did PS.com call them PCs!

But can they run pc games?

#132 Posted by Cranler (8730 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@lundy86_4 said:

@Cranler said:

Steam consider them separate platform. Valves word means more than some sys warriors.

#133 Posted by KittenNose (400 posts) -

@Cranler said:

But can they run pc games?

Who cares? PS.com called PS3s PCs. By your logic, Steam.com calling Mac and Windows different platforms means they are diifferent platforms. Thus PS3s were PCs, as PS.com literally advertized them as such.

#134 Edited by lostrib (34582 posts) -

@Cranler said:

@lostrib said:

@lundy86_4 said:

@Cranler said:

Steam consider them separate platform. Valves word means more than some sys warriors.

well good thing we're on System Wars, not valve forums

#135 Posted by NFJSupreme (5154 posts) -

Yes there is a reason why Gabe is a billionaire. We give him all our money twice a year.

#136 Edited by CrownKingArthur (4432 posts) -
@lundy86_4 said:

@lostrib said:

That's definitely the final ruling... I honestly can't remember what ispeakfact argued... At all.

he was arguing that PC only games on windows/mac such as civilization 5 were not exclusive.

that game's on linux too now.

#137 Posted by KittenNose (400 posts) -
@Cranler said:

Playstation.com called PS3s entry level PCs. Sony's word means more then some sys warrior's.

#138 Edited by lundy86_4 (43010 posts) -

@Cranler said:

They consider them a different system, as games are encoded to work on a different OS. They seperate them, as idiots may buy a game for Windows, and not realize that it doesn't work on OSX. Seriously, your argument is so stupid, I needed to be more drunk in order to decipher it.

They still work on the same hardware, dimwit.

A-F*CKING-GAIN, mods/admins have determined that PC encompasses all hardware/OS variances for the sake of SW.

#139 Edited by lundy86_4 (43010 posts) -

he was arguing that PC only games on windows/mac such as civilization 5 were not exclusive.

that game's on linux too now.

Ahhh, dumbass.

musicalmac ended that, but little twerps like to argue. Sad times.

#140 Edited by Cranler (8730 posts) -

@Cranler said:

A-F*CKING-GAIN, mods/admins have determined that PC encompasses all hardware/OS variances for the sake of SW.

Then it's only right to compare pc sales vs all console sales. That would be an all encompassing comparison.

#141 Edited by BldgIrsh (1629 posts) -

@Cranler said:

@lundy86_4 said:

@Cranler said:

Then it's only right to compare pc sales vs all console sales. That would be an all encompassing comparison.

Anyways, this thread was talking about 8m concurrent steam players... nothing about sales.

#142 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4432 posts) -
#143 Posted by Cranler (8730 posts) -

@bldgirsh said:

@Cranler said:

@lundy86_4 said:

@Cranler said:

Anyways, this thread was talking about 8m concurrent steam players... nothing about sales.

That's nice, too bad most of that growth is f2p microtransaction crap. GTA V alone outsold entire Diablo an Starcraft franchises.

#144 Edited by illmatic87 (15157 posts) -

I was looking at the stats page today. Found some more interesting stuff that I never would have thought.

There are more peaked concurrent Steam players in each of Caste Crashers, Battleblock Theater, FTL, Dont Starve, Rogue Legacy, Risk Of Rain, Prison Architect than there are compared to Call Of Duty: Ghosts and MW3.

#145 Edited by KittenNose (400 posts) -

@Cranler said:

That's nice, too bad most of that growth is f2p microtransaction crap. GTA V alone outsold entire Diablo an Starcraft franchises.

GTA V, you mean that game that asks you to pay real money to buy fake money so you can spend it on virtual stuff? Wow you are like made of hypocrisy today.

#146 Posted by lundy86_4 (43010 posts) -

@Cranler said:

Your arguments are all over the show, but sure... Go with that. If you use provable links for sales, then go for it.

#147 Edited by BldgIrsh (1629 posts) -
#148 Posted by Cranler (8730 posts) -

@bldgirsh said:

@CrownKingArthur said:

@bldgirsh: good post. by the way i've found you extremely entertaining today, thank you.

moreover, in Jan DFC revised their forecast for 2014, predicting 25 Billion this year. http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-01-28-pc-gaming-market-to-exceed-USD25-billion-this-year-dfc

i just find it interesting how they made a prediction of growth, and then revised it to an even greater magnitude of growth.

That's quite intriguing. Hopefully Cranler doesn't see this.

Virtual hat sales will be through the roof while multiplats will still sell better on console.

#149 Posted by BldgIrsh (1629 posts) -

@Cranler said:

@bldgirsh said:

@CrownKingArthur said:

@bldgirsh: good post. by the way i've found you extremely entertaining today, thank you.

moreover, in Jan DFC revised their forecast for 2014, predicting 25 Billion this year. http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-01-28-pc-gaming-market-to-exceed-USD25-billion-this-year-dfc

i just find it interesting how they made a prediction of growth, and then revised it to an even greater magnitude of growth.

That's quite intriguing. Hopefully Cranler doesn't see this.

Virtual hat sales will be through the roof while multiplats will still sell better on console.

Oh? I thought you wanted PC vs ALL consoles. Well, here are those stats, and PC's are making more revenue than ALL the consoles. Perhaps the developers need to stop supporting the consoles after looking at these figures.

#150 Posted by lundy86_4 (43010 posts) -

Has @Cranler provided any evidence yet?