Steam reaches 8M concurrent users

#1 Edited by jhonMalcovich (4414 posts) -

Which suggests that the global number of Steam users (75M last year) has grown again adn we are just being in the middle of the year.

The biggest surges of concurrent players usually always come during the Winter sales. So expect 8.5-9M of concurrent Steam users by the end of the year : )

Which will be translated into the global number of Steam users of 80M more or less. 5M of new PC gamers in ONE year.

PC FTW

#2 Posted by faizan_faizan (7846 posts) -

The numbers are increasing more faster than several years ago.

#3 Edited by R4gn4r0k (16254 posts) -

It's all because of the steam summer adventure !!!

#4 Posted by Cloud_imperium (2275 posts) -

That's insane .

The numbers are increasing more faster than several years ago.

This ^^ .

#5 Edited by MBirdy88 (7438 posts) -

In before some console peasant that makes some stupid "There are already 7 million PS4s LOL PS4 has as many users as pc gamers!" comparison.

#6 Posted by DEadliNE-Zero0 (1001 posts) -

Gabe: I think it's finally time to start working on Half Lif..... OH SHIT! Summer sale revenue! *dives into the pool of money*

#7 Posted by GhoX (4679 posts) -

It's kinda crazy, but Valve has the highest revenue per capita in the entire gaming industry.

#8 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16254 posts) -

@GhoX said:

It's kinda crazy, but Valve has the highest revenue per capita in the entire gaming industry.

No wonder they haven't announce any games (yet?) as they make plenty of money without making games.

#9 Posted by Roler42 (538 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k: No need to make games when they're already giving gamers insane deals for dem gamez, i'm still holding up hope for HL3 or L4D3 tho

#10 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16254 posts) -

@roler42 said:

@R4gn4r0k: No need to make games when they're already giving gamers insane deals for dem gamez, i'm still holding up hope for HL3 or L4D3 tho

It would be nice, but I'm not holding much hope. It could take years before we ever get to even see those games.

Also, if they do make a half life 3, they need to stop with the cliffhangers. It's been 7 years since the last cliffhanger, which is just absurd.

#11 Posted by Heil68 (43272 posts) -

Good numbers. I'm sure the Summer sale has helped boost that,

#12 Edited by AmazonAngry (945 posts) -

I'm surprised how small that is. I thought the PC community was much larger.

#13 Edited by R4gn4r0k (16254 posts) -

Can't say I'm surprised by your post.

#14 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (3662 posts) -

so ps4 has nearly surpassed it in under a year lol steam

#15 Edited by sam890 (1057 posts) -

It is much larger when you add up the MMOs numbers.

#16 Posted by The_Last_Ride (69796 posts) -

They still have around 75million users though. But i think console gamers play more games apparantly, might be wrong though

#17 Edited by SamiRDuran (2670 posts) -

@ghostwarrior786 said:

ps4 +ps3 +xbox360+xbox one cannot reach the steam concurrent users amount. t hats how tiny the console community is.

#18 Posted by MonsieurX (29241 posts) -

Do you know what concurrent means?

#19 Edited by edwardecl (2008 posts) -

Good maybe publishers will start taking PC more seriously rather than throwing it the scraps.

#20 Posted by uninspiredcup (7661 posts) -

It's wonderful that a deserving, lovable company with a leader who cares greatly for the platform with real, genuin passion is the guiding hand and platform prime. And indeed, that it is not Ubisoft, EA, Activision or Microsoft, or pc gaming would most likely be in a much worse state.

#21 Posted by faizan_faizan (7846 posts) -

I'm surprised you haven't made any threads yet.

#22 Posted by lostrib (33400 posts) -

Concurrent means the number of users online at once. There are over 70 million steam users

#23 Posted by uninspiredcup (7661 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

Concurrent means the number of users online at once. There are over 70 million steam users

Oh, The burn.

#24 Posted by lostrib (33400 posts) -

#25 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (3662 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

Oh, The burn.

so less than x360 or ps3? gotcha

#26 Posted by lostrib (33400 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

@lostrib said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

Oh, The burn.

what are the concurrent numbers for 360 and ps3?

#27 Edited by jake44 (1942 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

Got like 5 games to add to my long backlog.

#28 Posted by uninspiredcup (7661 posts) -

@jake44 said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

Steam reached 7 million prior to this. And in general, has been rising in count at a staggering pace.

#29 Posted by Jimmy_Russell (477 posts) -

I'm pretty sure PSN has a conccurent user base that is at least 20 times as large. But, PC FTW I guess.

#30 Posted by lostrib (33400 posts) -

I'm pretty sure PSN has a conccurent user base that is at least 20 times as large. But, PC FTW I guess.

concurrent means the number that are online at once. not the number of users

#31 Posted by Cranler (8379 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

In before some console peasant that makes some stupid "There are already 7 million PS4s LOL PS4 has as many users as pc gamers!" comparison.

PS 4 is one platform while steam supports 3 platforms.

#32 Edited by jhonMalcovich (4414 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@lostrib said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

Oh, The burn.

In 2009, it was 2M for xbox360

http://www.lazygamer.net/xbox-360/xbox-live-sets-new-concurrent-user-record/

And Sony never revealed its numbers, which suggest that they never had numbers to brag about.

#33 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (3662 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@lostrib said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

Oh, The burn.

And Sony never revealed its numbers, which suggest that they never had numbers to brag about.

well i can confirm the concurrent no. for ps4 is 5m, x1 is 3m, x360 is 20m and ps3 is 18m. this confirms that console are superior to pc/steam. enough said

#34 Posted by MonsieurX (29241 posts) -

160 millions concurrent users?

LOL

#35 Edited by jhonMalcovich (4414 posts) -

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@jhonMalcovich said:

@lostrib said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@lostrib said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

Oh, The burn.

well i can confirm the concurrent no. for ps4 is 5m, x1 is 3m, x360 is 20m and ps3 is 18m. this confirms that console are superior to pc/steam. enough said

Sources ? Screenshots ? Proof ?

#36 Edited by High-Res (271 posts) -

Steam & I guess Origin...is there even another way to get a PC game? God knows the stores won;t carry anymore because THEY DON'T SELL!!!!!

Plus it must be nice spending all that money, buying all those game and not actually OWNING ANYTHING!

Taking the PC Argument for sales....would basically mean the IOS and I Tunes BS is the number one "System" for gaming.

#37 Edited by speedfreak48t5p (6639 posts) -

Good to see more people joining the glorious PC master race.

#38 Edited by MBirdy88 (7438 posts) -

@Cranler said:

@MBirdy88 said:

no, they support 3 operating systems on one categorised device. stop trying to peg this s*it, it fails every time. its not a new concept on this forum, and it never holds weight. as I said before, let me know when your Xbox 1 can run PSN and vice versa, then you have a case, otherwise... stop wasting our time.

@High-Res said:

Steam & I guess Origin...is there even another way to get a PC game? God knows the stores won;t carry anymore because THEY DON'T SELL!!!!!

Plus it must be nice spending all that money, buying all those game and not actually OWNING ANYTHING!

Taking the PC Argument for sales....would basically mean the IOS and I Tunes BS is the number one "System" for gaming.

Ummm..... we purchase a license and a CD Key, in steams case as part of the agreement if hosting it ever becomes an issue the user has the right to make physical copies and the key is released to them. so please... stop talking like you have a clue what you are talking about.

Not that it will ever be a problem. hell.. I'd rather own a digital license than buy a game, accidently damage the disc... and OH LOOK, you have NO RIGHTS TO ANOTHER ONE. even though, the irony that when you purchase a physical game, you are still only purchasing one license to it... and that license is stuck to that one physical copy.

#39 Posted by Jimmy_Russell (477 posts) -

Apple is a platform of its own. it's not just an operating system, it's a way of life for most people. The PC is actually composed of many seperate hardware devices. For example,. many PC gamers don't even have a discrete graphics card, while every single console does. So in a lot of respects, it's not fair to label a PC as one device.

#40 Posted by lostrib (33400 posts) -

Apple is a platform of its own. it's not just an operating system, it's a way of life for most people. The PC is actually composed of many seperate hardware devices. For example,. many PC gamers don't even have a discrete graphics card, while every single console does. So in a lot of respects, it's not fair to label a PC as one device.

#41 Posted by topgunmv (10142 posts) -

Consoles use an APU.

#42 Posted by Jimmy_Russell (477 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@jimmy_russell said:

I have 4 discrete graphics cards. Let me guess, you have none. You probably don't have a job either based on the quantity of your posts.

#43 Posted by lostrib (33400 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@jimmy_russell said:

I have 4 discrete graphics cards. Let me guess, you have none. You probably don't have a job either based on the quantity of your posts.

prove it. actually I'm going to work right now

#44 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (3662 posts) -

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@jhonMalcovich said:

@lostrib said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@lostrib said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

Oh, The burn.

Sources ? Screenshots ? Proof ?

i have neither but u should take my word for it

#45 Edited by Cranler (8379 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

@Cranler said:

@MBirdy88 said:

no, they support 3 operating systems on one categorised device. stop trying to peg this s*it, it fails every time. its not a new concept on this forum, and it never holds weight. as I said before, let me know when your Xbox 1 can run PSN and vice versa, then you have a case, otherwise... stop wasting our time.

@High-Res said:

Ummm..... we purchase a license and a CD Key, in steams case as part of the agreement if hosting it ever becomes an issue the user has the right to make physical copies and the key is released to them. so please... stop talking like you have a clue what you are talking about.

Not that it will ever be a problem. hell.. I'd rather own a digital license than buy a game, accidently damage the disc... and OH LOOK, you have NO RIGHTS TO ANOTHER ONE. even though, the irony that when you purchase a physical game, you are still only purchasing one license to it... and that license is stuck to that one physical copy.

#46 Edited by jhonMalcovich (4414 posts) -

@jimmy_russell said:

So ? What is your point ?

Steam is still Steam. Period.

#47 Posted by DEadliNE-Zero0 (1001 posts) -

HOLY SHIT. You have 500 posts. So when are you making a thread. Cmon do it, do it.

#48 Posted by MBirdy88 (7438 posts) -

@Cranler said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@Cranler said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@High-Res said:

oh we want to make the pointless quotes now do we? alright lets play.

The Macintosh (/ˈmækɨntɒʃ/ mak-in-tosh), or Mac, is a line of personal computers (PCs) designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc. It was initially targeted mainly at the home, education, and creative professional markets. Since the introduction of the Macintosh, the computer has seen significant evolution, now making it one of the most powerful general purpose computers on the market. It now targets the business, science, and law markets as well.

oh look.....

and even then, I can run it on my ONE PC. again, just stop. you cant run a ps4 on your xbox 1. its not the same thing. its but 1 component that is interchangeable.

#49 Edited by BldgIrsh (1303 posts) -

How is that even possible when there's only 7 million people in the world?

#50 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16744 posts) -

Do you not understand the meaning to the word "concurrent"?