Steam machines are extremely modular. Upgrading Confirmed

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

Steam machines (PCs), inside, are extremely modular. They allow at least the upgrades of GPU, RAM, power supply and hard drives.

Basically Steam machines are mini-towers PC with very good space and cable management.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

I want the controller!

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

@Desmonic said:

Didn't Vale confirm this since the moment they announced them? Pretty sure I had heard somewhere they would be modular :P

Also, clever box. Simple and organized. It may not offer as much space as big PC case, but from watching this video it seems to do it's job extremely well. Hope it handles heating issues well enough.

Yeh. But some people, mostly consolites, were quite doubtful of that.

Avatar image for megaspiderweb09
megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By megaspiderweb09
Member since 2009 • 3686 Posts

So is this a console or a PC ?

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

If I had to choose between an Xbone or a Steam Box, it would be Gabe's Bone Killer every time.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60710 Posts

Who thought you couldn't?

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

@megaspiderweb09 said:

It's a PC, not much worse than mine actually, only real difference is the 4570.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

@gameofthering said:

I want the controller!

+1

I watched the controller in use. Made me rethink the need for a KB/M. I would definitely need a keyboard if I got into MOBA's like DoTA2, but as for now my tastes in strategy remain firmly in the turn based category.

GioVela2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GioVela2010
Member since 2008 • 5566 Posts

Obviously

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

@megaspiderweb09 said:

form factor PC, better than consoles atm.

Avatar image for megaspiderweb09
megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 megaspiderweb09
Member since 2009 • 3686 Posts

@Jankarcop said:

@megaspiderweb09 said:

form factor PC, better than consoles atm.

Sounds like a slippery slope, hopefully it can get the support of third party devs

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

the steam machine concept is strange to me.

the very people who are in the steam machine targeted demographic are exactly the guys that don't mind taking a few hours to order some parts slap them into a tower and plug them in.

why would anyone not just spend a bit more and get exactly what they want to get?

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

I don't get it. Why not just get a real pc?

GioVela2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By GioVela2010

Funny how form factor suddenly matters, but before Steam machine moving a tower PC back and forth from the Desktop to the front of the living room was acceptable lmao

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#18 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58890 Posts

@Ghost120x said:

Apple appeals to hipsters who want everything done for them. Windows 8 sold out and decided to copypasta mac and mac tablets creating a ungodly shit OS interface. Shitty, small form factor, don't have to think bullshit is the future my friend. Valve are just appealing to what the masses want while attempting to educate the ignorant about how superior the pc is.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

@Ghost120x said:

First off this IS a real PC

Secondly most people don't want to build one themselves, or don't want Windows clogging it all up. These are great little machines for strictly gaming

@GioVela2010 said:

Funny how form factor suddenly matters, but before Steam machine moving a tower PC back and forth from the Desktop to the front of the living room was acceptable lmao

I gotta admit this is actually funny.

M8ingSeezun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 M8ingSeezun
Member since 2007 • 2313 Posts

How much would a Steam Machine cost?

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

Steam Machine: The most pointless platform ever. This goes to show Valve has too much money and too much time on their hands. Games will not be optimized for it at all. It's just a weak PC. I know consoles are too but devs optimize strictly for those platforms. The same goons who bought OC Rift will get this.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts

Do they have another controller available? The included controller looks awkward.

PC_Otter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By PC_Otter
Member since 2010 • 1623 Posts

@Riverwolf007: It's possible that as a pre-built machine with nothing frivolous, it may be cheaper than going out and buying a "gaming tower PC" from an OEM, or similar in cost to a building your own machine with the same kind of footprint and performance. What you get would be a single all-encompassing warranty to cover the entire system as opposed to having to keep track of each individual part. The build quality and configuring of the insides is top-notch too. It's certainly a much more solid chassis than a typical game console.

Until Valve had announced what the systems would be equipped with, I didn't expect the Beta Steam Machines to be so beefy in performance and I was hoping to see AMD CPUs and GPUs.

PC_Otter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 PC_Otter
Member since 2010 • 1623 Posts

@GioVela2010 said:

Or you could just leave the PC hooked up to the TV. I've been doing the PC to TV thing for almost 5 years and it's been nothing but a pleasure.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25  Edited By the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

@jhonMalcovich said:

Basically Steam machines are mini-towers PC with very good space and cable management.

Yeah, there's no "basically" about it. That's literally what they are. That's been the intention since day one.

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts

why not just buy a PC in the first place...better cooling and u can still use the steam os.....

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

@RimacBugatti said:

Do they have another controller available? The included controller looks awkward.

They're just PCs. If you don't like the official steam box controller, you can plug in a 360 controller, just like with any other PC. They're compatible with about 99% of the PC versions of multiplat games. And if you don't like the 360 controller, there's a very simple, free program you can use to make a PS3 controller work with any game that a 360 controller would. And if you don't like either of those controllers, there are literally dozens of other third party gamepads with various layouts/designs, that are recognized as 360 controllers by your PC.

Options, baby. Just one of the glorious advantages of PC gaming. =)

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

those upgrades aren't really much....

jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts

So is Steam OS getting it's own DirectX friendly API, or would investing in a Steam Box basically mean paying for a PC, but with next to no game support and forced Valve DRM on everything?

Come to think of it, why hasn't Microsoft nipped this kind of development in the bud with a cheap/free stripped-down version of Windows, just for gaming?

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

What about the mobo and cpu?

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31  Edited By Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

@PC_Otter said:

@GioVela2010 said:

Or you could just leave the PC hooked up to the TV. I've been doing the PC to TV thing for almost 5 years and it's been nothing but a pleasure.

It's almost like he doesn't know that there are a ton of form factors available for PC, mnay of which are specifically designed for being your TV entertainment center...

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

@jimmyjammer69 said:

So is Steam OS getting it's own DirectX friendly API, or would investing in a Steam Box basically mean paying for a PC, but with next to no game support and forced Valve DRM on everything?

Come to think of it, why hasn't Microsoft nipped this kind of development in the bud with a cheap/free stripped-down version of Windows, just for gaming?

It will use Open GL + extensions, in what is a much more gaming optimized OS. So it's basically a console, except that it's fully upgreadable and can be dual booted with an OS meant for doing serious work. IT's the best of both worlds.

As for why doesn't MS do the same... they HAVE. And it's exclusively on the Xbone. This way they can have ABSOLUTE control over it. Talk about DRM.

Cali3350

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Cali3350
Member since 2003 • 16134 Posts

Im 99% sure im going to buy a SteamBox just to install windows and use it as my main PC. Well built and small, what ive always wanted from my PC.

Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34  Edited By Netherscourge
Member since 2003 • 16364 Posts

It's basically going to come down to what FITS in the case, so far as upgrading goes.

It'll be interesting to see if certain Steam Machines manufactures build their OWN, form-factored upgrades so that they are guaranteed to work within their own cases, or if they'll just force people to buy new cases/Steam Machines everyone year or so.

Anything that's proprietary will kill the whole thing though. If I was Valve, I would insist on standardized hardware in those Steam Machines that people can mix, match and even modify at-will. Make it as close to the PC experience as possible and don't lock anything down to specific manufacturers.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

@Kinthalis said:

@PC_Otter said:

@GioVela2010 said:

It's almost like he doesn't know that there are a ton of form factors available for PC, mnay of which are specifically designed for being your TV entertainment center...

hes just trolling

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

So what? You still can't play any direct x games on linux.What's the point of upgrading when you can't even run the latest games?

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61477 Posts

@ShepardCommandr said:

So what? You still can't play any direct x games on linux.What's the point of upgrading when you can't even run the latest games?

You can install Windows.

GioVela2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By GioVela2010

@Kinthalis said:

@PC_Otter said:

@GioVela2010 said:

Nobody said there isnt.

But up until not very long ago, Hermits argument was "dude just move the PC to the HDTV"

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#40 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

these are so superior to consoles.

PC gaming is going to take the ps4 and xb1 to the woodshed this gen. It's not just these steam machinese either. We're going to see PC gaming become cheaper and more user friendly than ever before. Anyone who seriously cares about gaming owe it to themselves to take a closer look at how the industry is evolving.

It's exam season so to put it bluntly-

PC Gaming:ps4/xb1::ps4/xb1:wiiu

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 lundy86_4

Really tempted to grab a mid-end, to use as my HTPC. The form-factors are really damn nice.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 lundy86_4

@GioVela2010 said:

Nobody said there isnt.

But up until not very long ago, Hermits* argument was "dude just move the PC to the HDTV"

*some Hermits

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

Seems like a 3Do concept but with upgrades and off the shelf parts

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@megaspiderweb09 said:

It's a PC obviously. Game consoles can't upgrade their key components. It's a PC that wants to be a game console, but never will be.

TThorlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 TThorlord
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

@Riverwolf007:

"targeted demographic"

It seems the targeted demographic is the console gamers who seem to think graphics are the sole-factor that decides a successful console, how many people do you see saying the PS4 is better than the Xbox One simply because '1080p60fps' and spouting hardware performance. Hard pressed everyone admits its actually the games that make the console, but now there's a hard counter for people claiming that graphical power make one console superior to another:
'Oh, the PS4 has a Radeon 7870 rather than a 7850 in the Xbox one? How about the freaking Titan in the Steam Machine that smokes the 7870 by nearly twice the graphical power.'

I think it will be an attractive option for console gamers that want the 'Very Best' but don't know how, or cant bother with putting together a gaming PC.