Steam machines are extremely modular. Upgrading Confirmed

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by jhonMalcovich (4513 posts) -

Steam machines (PCs), inside, are extremely modular. They allow at least the upgrades of GPU, RAM, power supply and hard drives.

Basically Steam machines are mini-towers PC with very good space and cable management.

#2 Posted by gameofthering (10128 posts) -

I want the controller!

#3 Posted by Desmonic (13397 posts) -

Didn't Vale confirm this since the moment they announced them? Pretty sure I had heard somewhere they would be modular :P

Also, clever box. Simple and organized. It may not offer as much space as big PC case, but from watching this video it seems to do it's job extremely well. Hope it handles heating issues well enough.

#4 Edited by jhonMalcovich (4513 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

Didn't Vale confirm this since the moment they announced them? Pretty sure I had heard somewhere they would be modular :P

Also, clever box. Simple and organized. It may not offer as much space as big PC case, but from watching this video it seems to do it's job extremely well. Hope it handles heating issues well enough.

Yeh. But some people, mostly consolites, were quite doubtful of that.

#5 Edited by megaspiderweb09 (3686 posts) -

So is this a console or a PC ?

#6 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (4074 posts) -

If I had to choose between an Xbone or a Steam Box, it would be Gabe's Bone Killer every time.

#7 Posted by Heil68 (43450 posts) -

Who thought you couldn't?

#8 Posted by farrell2k (5804 posts) -

A custom PC that can be upgraded. Who would have thunk...

#9 Edited by Snugenz (11815 posts) -

It's a PC, not much worse than mine actually, only real difference is the 4570.

#10 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

Valve director 1: 'lol...you know what we should do, we should just take a PC and say its for the living room and see if anyone goes for it. I mean really this is something people should have been doing years ago on their own but instead they just buy consoles which makes zero sense'

Valve Director 2: 'no come on the market place is smarter than that they would see right thru it'

Valve Director 2:'no wait, I think your right get some stickers and lets see if anyone bites'..

#11 Posted by Boddicker (2510 posts) -

I want the controller!

+1

I watched the controller in use. Made me rethink the need for a KB/M. I would definitely need a keyboard if I got into MOBA's like DoTA2, but as for now my tastes in strategy remain firmly in the turn based category.

#12 Posted by GioVela2010 (4018 posts) -

Obviously

#13 Posted by Jankarcop (8976 posts) -

form factor PC, better than consoles atm.

#14 Posted by megaspiderweb09 (3686 posts) -

@megaspiderweb09 said:

form factor PC, better than consoles atm.

Sounds like a slippery slope, hopefully it can get the support of third party devs

#15 Posted by Riverwolf007 (23503 posts) -

the steam machine concept is strange to me.

the very people who are in the steam machine targeted demographic are exactly the guys that don't mind taking a few hours to order some parts slap them into a tower and plug them in.

why would anyone not just spend a bit more and get exactly what they want to get?

#16 Posted by Ghost120x (3738 posts) -

I don't get it. Why not just get a real pc?

#17 Edited by GioVela2010 (4018 posts) -

Funny how form factor suddenly matters, but before Steam machine moving a tower PC back and forth from the Desktop to the front of the living room was acceptable lmao

#18 Posted by uninspiredcup (7822 posts) -

Apple appeals to hipsters who want everything done for them. Windows 8 sold out and decided to copypasta mac and mac tablets creating a ungodly shit OS interface. Shitty, small form factor, don't have to think bullshit is the future my friend. Valve are just appealing to what the masses want while attempting to educate the ignorant about how superior the pc is.

#19 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38214 posts) -

First off this IS a real PC

Secondly most people don't want to build one themselves, or don't want Windows clogging it all up. These are great little machines for strictly gaming

Funny how form factor suddenly matters, but before Steam machine moving a tower PC back and forth from the Desktop to the front of the living room was acceptable lmao

I gotta admit this is actually funny.

#20 Posted by M8ingSeezun (1977 posts) -

How much would a Steam Machine cost?

#21 Posted by millerlight89 (18347 posts) -

Steam Machine: The most pointless platform ever. This goes to show Valve has too much money and too much time on their hands. Games will not be optimized for it at all. It's just a weak PC. I know consoles are too but devs optimize strictly for those platforms. The same goons who bought OC Rift will get this.

#22 Posted by RimacBugatti (1191 posts) -

Do they have another controller available? The included controller looks awkward.

#23 Edited by PC_Otter (1623 posts) -

@Riverwolf007: It's possible that as a pre-built machine with nothing frivolous, it may be cheaper than going out and buying a "gaming tower PC" from an OEM, or similar in cost to a building your own machine with the same kind of footprint and performance. What you get would be a single all-encompassing warranty to cover the entire system as opposed to having to keep track of each individual part. The build quality and configuring of the insides is top-notch too. It's certainly a much more solid chassis than a typical game console.

Until Valve had announced what the systems would be equipped with, I didn't expect the Beta Steam Machines to be so beefy in performance and I was hoping to see AMD CPUs and GPUs.

#24 Posted by PC_Otter (1623 posts) -

Or you could just leave the PC hooked up to the TV. I've been doing the PC to TV thing for almost 5 years and it's been nothing but a pleasure.

#25 Edited by the_bi99man (11047 posts) -

Basically Steam machines are mini-towers PC with very good space and cable management.

Yeah, there's no "basically" about it. That's literally what they are. That's been the intention since day one.

#26 Edited by stereointegrity (10701 posts) -

why not just buy a PC in the first place...better cooling and u can still use the steam os.....

#27 Posted by the_bi99man (11047 posts) -

Do they have another controller available? The included controller looks awkward.

They're just PCs. If you don't like the official steam box controller, you can plug in a 360 controller, just like with any other PC. They're compatible with about 99% of the PC versions of multiplat games. And if you don't like the 360 controller, there's a very simple, free program you can use to make a PS3 controller work with any game that a 360 controller would. And if you don't like either of those controllers, there are literally dozens of other third party gamepads with various layouts/designs, that are recognized as 360 controllers by your PC.

Options, baby. Just one of the glorious advantages of PC gaming. =)

#28 Posted by Joedgabe (5110 posts) -

those upgrades aren't really much....

#29 Edited by jimmyjammer69 (12195 posts) -

So is Steam OS getting it's own DirectX friendly API, or would investing in a Steam Box basically mean paying for a PC, but with next to no game support and forced Valve DRM on everything?

Come to think of it, why hasn't Microsoft nipped this kind of development in the bud with a cheap/free stripped-down version of Windows, just for gaming?

#30 Posted by trugs26 (5294 posts) -

What about the mobo and cpu?

#31 Edited by Kinthalis (5305 posts) -

@PC_Otter said:

@GioVela2010 said:

Or you could just leave the PC hooked up to the TV. I've been doing the PC to TV thing for almost 5 years and it's been nothing but a pleasure.

It's almost like he doesn't know that there are a ton of form factors available for PC, mnay of which are specifically designed for being your TV entertainment center...

#32 Posted by Kinthalis (5305 posts) -

So is Steam OS getting it's own DirectX friendly API, or would investing in a Steam Box basically mean paying for a PC, but with next to no game support and forced Valve DRM on everything?

Come to think of it, why hasn't Microsoft nipped this kind of development in the bud with a cheap/free stripped-down version of Windows, just for gaming?

It will use Open GL + extensions, in what is a much more gaming optimized OS. So it's basically a console, except that it's fully upgreadable and can be dual booted with an OS meant for doing serious work. IT's the best of both worlds.

As for why doesn't MS do the same... they HAVE. And it's exclusively on the Xbone. This way they can have ABSOLUTE control over it. Talk about DRM.

#33 Edited by Cali3350 (16130 posts) -

Im 99% sure im going to buy a SteamBox just to install windows and use it as my main PC. Well built and small, what ive always wanted from my PC.

#34 Edited by Netherscourge (16328 posts) -

It's basically going to come down to what FITS in the case, so far as upgrading goes.

It'll be interesting to see if certain Steam Machines manufactures build their OWN, form-factored upgrades so that they are guaranteed to work within their own cases, or if they'll just force people to buy new cases/Steam Machines everyone year or so.

Anything that's proprietary will kill the whole thing though. If I was Valve, I would insist on standardized hardware in those Steam Machines that people can mix, match and even modify at-will. Make it as close to the PC experience as possible and don't lock anything down to specific manufacturers.

#35 Posted by Jankarcop (8976 posts) -

@PC_Otter said:

@GioVela2010 said:

It's almost like he doesn't know that there are a ton of form factors available for PC, mnay of which are specifically designed for being your TV entertainment center...

hes just trolling

#36 Posted by ShepardCommandr (2404 posts) -

So what? You still can't play any direct x games on linux.What's the point of upgrading when you can't even run the latest games?

#37 Posted by lundy86_4 (42988 posts) -

So what? You still can't play any direct x games on linux.What's the point of upgrading when you can't even run the latest games?

You can install Windows.

#38 Edited by Motokid6 (5237 posts) -

I would love for this to push the closed console out the door. Ms and Sony should hop on this band wagon. Hardware Wars sounds.. so much better lol

#39 Edited by GioVela2010 (4018 posts) -

@PC_Otter said:

@GioVela2010 said:

Nobody said there isnt.

But up until not very long ago, Hermits argument was "dude just move the PC to the HDTV"

#40 Posted by GunSmith1_basic (9763 posts) -

these are so superior to consoles.

PC gaming is going to take the ps4 and xb1 to the woodshed this gen. It's not just these steam machinese either. We're going to see PC gaming become cheaper and more user friendly than ever before. Anyone who seriously cares about gaming owe it to themselves to take a closer look at how the industry is evolving.

It's exam season so to put it bluntly-

PC Gaming:ps4/xb1::ps4/xb1:wiiu

#41 Posted by lundy86_4 (42988 posts) -

Really tempted to grab a mid-end, to use as my HTPC. The form-factors are really damn nice.

#42 Posted by lundy86_4 (42988 posts) -

Nobody said there isnt.

But up until not very long ago, Hermits* argument was "dude just move the PC to the HDTV"

*some Hermits

#43 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (8624 posts) -

Seems like a 3Do concept but with upgrades and off the shelf parts

#44 Edited by blackace (20260 posts) -

@megaspiderweb09 said:

It's a PC obviously. Game consoles can't upgrade their key components. It's a PC that wants to be a game console, but never will be.

#45 Posted by TThorlord (4 posts) -

@Riverwolf007:

"targeted demographic"

It seems the targeted demographic is the console gamers who seem to think graphics are the sole-factor that decides a successful console, how many people do you see saying the PS4 is better than the Xbox One simply because '1080p60fps' and spouting hardware performance. Hard pressed everyone admits its actually the games that make the console, but now there's a hard counter for people claiming that graphical power make one console superior to another:
'Oh, the PS4 has a Radeon 7870 rather than a 7850 in the Xbox one? How about the freaking Titan in the Steam Machine that smokes the 7870 by nearly twice the graphical power.'

I think it will be an attractive option for console gamers that want the 'Very Best' but don't know how, or cant bother with putting together a gaming PC.