Steam Machine PC or console?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

Will GS have to re-organize the forums where do I say things about Steam Machine?

#2 Posted by lostrib (34459 posts) -

A steam machine is a PC

#3 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -
#4 Edited by -RPGamer- (34283 posts) -

Since the Steam Machine failed to be anything beyond a PC, why would need to do anything here to separate it?

#5 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

so basically any device that plays games at better specs and better features then PS4 or Xbox is called a PC.

Got it

#6 Edited by lostrib (34459 posts) -

@SEANMCAD said:

so basically any device that plays games at better specs and better features then PS4 or Xbox is called a PC.

Got it

...No, not at all

#7 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@SEANMCAD said:

Got it

...No, not at all

but...the $500 Steam Machine is nearly 2x the power of PS4...

#8 Edited by lostrib (34459 posts) -

@SEANMCAD said:

@lostrib said:

@SEANMCAD said:

Got it

...No, not at all

Not sure how that is relevant

#9 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@SEANMCAD said:

Got it

...No, not at all

Shhhh!!!! Let him stew in his ignorance.

#10 Edited by psymon100 (6138 posts) -

PM things about Steam machines to me please. That's the correct protocol.

#11 Posted by -RPGamer- (34283 posts) -

@SEANMCAD: not sure how you arrived to that conclusion. A Steam Machine could be made weaker than current gen consoles and it would still be nothing more than a PC.

#12 Posted by lundy86_4 (43009 posts) -
#13 Edited by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

@SEANMCAD: not sure how you arrived to that conclusion. A Steam Machine could be made weaker than current gen consoles and it would still be nothing more than a PC.

well its confusing to me because consoles are actually PCs as well so yeah the line is really confusing to me

#14 Posted by -RPGamer- (34283 posts) -

@SEANMCAD: really? A closed system that controls everything for you compared to an open system that you control everything is that confusing?

#15 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

@SEANMCAD said:

@-RPGamer- said:

well its confusing to me because consoles are actually PCs as well so yeah the line is really confusing to me

You thinking consoles are PCs only tells me you have bigger issues than trying to figure out what the Steam box is.

#16 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

@SEANMCAD said:

@-RPGamer- said:

You thinking consoles are PCs only tells me you have bigger issues than trying to figure out what the Steam box is.

lol... you think consoles are not PCs?

they have a CPU and GPU Ram and a Hard drive.

#17 Edited by EndlessInfinity (219 posts) -

Console are closed platform that are not upgradable the steam machine that will be release can be upgraded and use windows. The hardware used in many of the steam machine are pc hardware you can buy off the market while console are more customize and unified. You can not build a pc identical in hardware to next gen console because they are more unique in how they are design while you can build a identical pc like the $499 steam machine. The steam machine are just like your everyday desktop except for the hardware is clamped into a very small custom case.

There will be some unique steam machine out there but valve and the 499$ ones revealed will just be like any other pc except for they are packing all their hardware in a very small case.

#18 Edited by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

@endlessinfinity said:

Console are closed platform that are not upgradable the steam machine that will be release can be upgraded and use windows. The hardware used in many of the steam machine are pc hardware you can buy off the market while console are more customize and unified. You can not build a pc identical in hardware to next gen console because they are more unique in how they are design while you can build a identical pc like the $499 steam machine. The steam machine are just like your everyday desktop except for the hardware is clamped into a very small custom case.

The entire Steam Machine project is really mostly marketing when you boil it down. Its way over due.

All these manufactures could have done this decades ago

#19 Edited by Gaming-Planet (13997 posts) -

@SEANMCAD said:

@-RPGamer- said:

There's nothing personal about a console and you can't do any productivity on it.

#20 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

@SEANMCAD said:

@-RPGamer- said:

There's nothing personal about a console and you can't do any productivity on it.

thats the operating system which consoles also have.

Consoles are basically small PCs with a different operating system on them.

#21 Posted by MrYaotubo (2637 posts) -

It´s clearly a PC.

#22 Edited by trugs26 (5294 posts) -

@SEANMCAD: To keep it short, "PCs" are modifiable, "consoles" are closed. The parts and software on a console is intended to be fixed by the company of said console, where as the PC is modifiable on hardware and software. I haven't looked into the Steambox too much, but to my knowledge, everything is modifiable. I assume you could even download the SteamOS and use it on your personal desktop or laptop if you like too. And you could install Windows on the Steambox if you like. Everything about it is a PC.

#23 Posted by wis3boi (31114 posts) -
#24 Edited by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

@SEANMCAD said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@SEANMCAD said:

@-RPGamer- said:

lol... you think consoles are not PCs?

they have a CPU and GPU Ram and a Hard drive.

No, I know they aren't PC. By your sad pathetic logic, a tattoo gun is a car because it has a motor.

#25 Edited by MonsieurX (29507 posts) -

@SEANMCAD said:

@lostrib said:

@SEANMCAD said:

Got it

...No, not at all

Which Steam Machine are you talking about?