Steam Machine is a PC nuff said lol

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by EndlessInfinity (219 posts) -

I keep hearing dimwitted console fanboys or pc illiterates trying to claim its a console ever since the announcement of a 500 dollar steam machine that has better specs than next gen. Alienware and Cyber power were already selling small form PCs for a while and no its not a console hybrid no such thing we had mini pc for a long time.

Upgradable

Can run windows

Play pc games like any other pcs

#2 Edited by lundy86_4 (42648 posts) -

Yes it is.

Stop flamebaiting.

#3 Edited by Jankarcop (8827 posts) -

PC wins again.

#4 Edited by TheFadeForever (1633 posts) -

ITT: We had mini PCs for years

#5 Posted by millerlight89 (18338 posts) -

II do not get the point of it. You can build your own small for factor, you can install steam os yourself, you probably can buy the steam controller (not sure why you would) seperately. I honestly fail to see the point in this thing.

#6 Posted by TheFadeForever (1633 posts) -

@millerlight89:

You can't build a gaming pc as small like the steam machine from valve

#7 Posted by millerlight89 (18338 posts) -

@millerlight89:

So that's the only reason? It can be slightly smaller? I mean it's not like this thing will have exclusives, I don't get it.

#8 Posted by TheFadeForever (1633 posts) -

@millerlight89:

Valve said it was a push for the living room other than alienware and cyberpower there aren't whole lot of places to get something that small that is capable of playing games not only they were market it to mass market.

#9 Edited by clyde46 (43512 posts) -

@millerlight89:

Yes you can. Everything Valve used is off the shelf.

#10 Posted by silversix_ (13553 posts) -

Its for console peasants who want to take a step in the right direction, the pc master race

#11 Posted by TheFadeForever (1633 posts) -

@clyde46:

I haven't seen many small cases like the steam machine from valve that you can build a good gaming rig from

#12 Posted by clyde46 (43512 posts) -
#13 Edited by TheFadeForever (1633 posts) -

@clyde46:

the height of it looks longer compared to the valve steam machine from that picture how small is compared to one from valve. Can you fit any GPU in it?

#14 Posted by clyde46 (43512 posts) -

@clyde46:

the height of it looks longer compared to the valve steam machine from that picture how small is compared to one from valve

Valve's case is custom made for them, that is as close as you will get to fit a full system in if you were building one yourself. If you look at the insides of the Valve machine you can see that the video card is suspended above the main board and uses a riser to connect it to the PCI slot. Hell I'd even go as far to say that the inside of Steam machine looks like a console.

#15 Edited by CroidX (925 posts) -

@clyde46:

That looks bigger from all the pictures I saw and from this video assuming that's the one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA-IJpQ7jbU

#16 Posted by soulitane (13375 posts) -

II do not get the point of it. You can build your own small for factor, you can install steam os yourself, you probably can buy the steam controller (not sure why you would) seperately. I honestly fail to see the point in this thing.

Like a lot of things, to take advantage of people who don't know better. People will think they need this steam machine to use all of these features, when in reality the normal version of steam can do everything the steam machine can (and more) without the need to buy a whole new system (or at least a steam machine).

#18 Edited by TheFadeForever (1633 posts) -

@clyde46:

Valve steam machine looks more cram packed when putting the parts in compared to that case. The case is definitely custom made I haven't seen many like it on the market. I think the GPU and CPU are the only ones off the shelf.

#19 Posted by clyde46 (43512 posts) -

@clyde46:

Valve steam machine looks more cram packed when putting the parts in compared to that case. The case is definitely custom made I haven't seen many like it on the market. I think the GPU and CPU are the only ones off the shelf.

Looking at this picture, I actually think Silverstone had a hand in making the case.

The only thing that is not off the shelf is the case and that LED PCB.

#20 Edited by TheFadeForever (1633 posts) -

@clyde46:

It looks like almost everything is upgradable, and doesn't look difficult to swap parts

#21 Posted by clyde46 (43512 posts) -

@clyde46:

Looks like almost everything is upgradable doesn't look difficult to swap parts

They did mention in the teardown that the God Tier cable management can prove a problem if you decided to rip it apart.

#22 Edited by ronvalencia (15109 posts) -
@endlessinfinity said:

I keep hearing dimwitted console fanboys or pc illiterates trying to claim its a console ever since the announcement of a 500 dollar steam machine that has better specs than next gen. Alienware and Cyber power were already selling small form PCs for a while and no its not a console hybrid no such thing we had mini pc for a long time.

Upgradable

Can run windows

Play pc games like any other pcs

There are X86 PCs that are used for embedded systems.

Taito's Type X3 arcade gaming machine is just an X86 PC box in embedded type deployment. http://andriasang.com/comy7f/

NAS (Network Attached Storage) device with dual core Intel Atom http://www.mwave.com.au/product/asustor-as202te-2-bay-diskless-nas-enclosureintel-atom-dual-core-12ghz-ab52151

An ATM machine that used X86 PC

Both AMD and Intel are actively seeking embedded deployments for their X86 based solutions.

#23 Posted by GioVela2010 (4017 posts) -

It's for desktop peasants who want to join the elite god tier class of Home Theater Gaming

#24 Posted by lostrib (31519 posts) -

This is a stupid thread

#25 Edited by deleteduser198 (0 posts) -

correct

#26 Posted by Rage010101 (5470 posts) -

@lostrib said:

This is a stupid thread

Now that Gio is here, the thread got even more stupid. The stupid in the air is so thick, it can be cut with a butter knife.

#27 Edited by WallofTruth (1048 posts) -

@GioVela2010 said:

It's for desktop peasants who want to join the elite god tier class of Home Theater Gaming

Haha $400 peasant console, dat god tier.

Maybe you should try a gameboy color, that's another cheap console, perfectly for your "god tier" gaming needs.

#28 Posted by lostrib (31519 posts) -

@lostrib said:

This is a stupid thread

Now that Gio is here, the thread got even more stupid. The stupid in the air is so thick, it can be cut with a butter knife.

eh, just ignore him. He's a pretty pathetic troll these days

#29 Posted by joehult (353 posts) -

So when it flops, you still have a low class pc for a couple years, that is outperformed by an iPhone. This is good, we haven't had a wtf were they thinking flop system since 3do

#30 Posted by Heil68 (42609 posts) -

Who said they wern't?

#31 Posted by lostrib (31519 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

Who said they wern't?

people on system wars

#32 Edited by Vatusus (4225 posts) -

Who cares what it is. It'll fail baddly

#33 Posted by MonsieurX (28652 posts) -

Thanks Captain Obvious

#34 Posted by MK-Professor (3633 posts) -

This is supposed to be news?, We already know that it is a PC since the day it was announced.

#35 Posted by edidili (3446 posts) -

Of course it is a PC, thanks for stating the obvious.

What people mean by "console" is about what userbase Valve is trying to get with the steambox. The out of the box experience, the default, the one tech-illiterate people are going to experience. This is a box that is marketed for the living room, next to your TV, a limited console-like OS that is mainly controlled with a gamepad. This is what people are calling a box that offers a console-like experience and this is what Valve are trying to pull off.

#36 Posted by GioVela2010 (4017 posts) -

@GioVela2010 said:

Maybe you should try a gameboy color, that's another cheap console, perfectly for your "god tier" gaming needs.

What does a $400 dollar console have to do with anything? Sounds to me like you're bottom of the barrel desktop gaming scum, and jealous of those who can afford to hook up their PC/Consoles to real home theater setups.

Stay Jelly desktop pleb.

#37 Posted by WallofTruth (1048 posts) -

@walloftruth said:

@GioVela2010 said:

What does a $400 dollar console have to do with anything? Sounds to me like you're bottom of the barrel desktop gaming scum, and jealous of those who can afford to hook up their PC/Consoles to real home theater setups.

Stay Jelly desktop pleb.

Cute insults but someone who owns a $1800 desktop obviously has more money to waste than someone who only owns a $400 ToyStation. But have fun with your god tier $50 online and no Anti Aliasing and low draw distance, god tier fo shizzle.

#38 Posted by CrumUnderMe (195 posts) -

PC wins again.

its prize: soap and a 1 way trip into a shower.

#39 Posted by no-scope-AK47 (2656 posts) -

The steam machine is really the OS that is free and will free the gaming masses from windoze upgrade slavery AMEN.

#40 Edited by ShepardCommandr (2121 posts) -

and it's useless until you install windows on it

#41 Posted by AtariKidX (6192 posts) -

wait......you need to install windows in this console...??This sucks...lol

#42 Edited by Sushiglutton (5171 posts) -

Isn't "console" also a subcategory of PC? Reading on wikipedia it defines a PC as below. Nothing there excludes videogame consoles.:

A personal computer (PC) is a general-purpose computer, whose size, capabilities and original sale price makes it useful for individuals, and which is intended to be operated directly by an end-user with no intervening computer operator. This contrasted with the batch processing or time-sharing models which allowed larger, more expensive minicomputer andmainframe systems to be used by many people, usually at the same time. Large data processing systems require a full-time staff to operate efficiently.

Software applications for most personal computers include, but are not limited to, word processing, spreadsheets, databases, Web browsers and e-mail clients, digital media playback,games and myriad personal productivity and special-purpose software applications. Modern personal computers often have connections to the Internet, allowing access to the World Wide Web and a wide range of other resources. Personal computers may be connected to a local area network (LAN), either by a cable or a wireless connection. A personal computer may be a desktop computer or a laptop, tablet or a handheld PC.

#43 Posted by TheTruthIsREAL (750 posts) -

In my eyes, it's a console. Xbox One runs Windows 8 lol. Anyway, it's targeted towards the relevant crowd called console gamers. Valve knows where the money at. I feel sorry for them having to deal with PC only gamers who'd only buy games when there's a huge discount.

#44 Edited by naz99 (985 posts) -

@GioVela2010 said:

@walloftruth said:

@GioVela2010 said:

Stay Jelly desktop pleb.

I bet once the kids and wife have gone to bed you go into your room lay out all your hardwre on the floor and masterabte over it while looking at a picture of a tramp and screaming how he cant afford a theatre home setup like you, your vanity and insecurity is stunning and amazingly pathetic...but if it is what gets you off then so be it, but rather than being jealous most of us are glad we are not as pathetic or vain as you...... :)

You are like that kid at school that turns up in his £200 trainers and continue to brag to everyone about them, and he thinks everyone hates him because he can afford nice stuff but in reality everybody hates him because he is just simply an utter prick.

Stay classy

#45 Posted by edidili (3446 posts) -

Isn't "console" also a subcategory of PC? Reading on wikipedia it defines a PC as below. Nothing there excludes videogame consoles.:

PC is a fairly broad term, especially now with all these different devices. Back when it was first coined it was to make the difference between a super computer, servers and a computer on which you can write a document, watch a movie, play a game, use messaging application. A personal computer.

However nowadays you can do that on several devices, phones, tablets, you can do some of those things on consoles too. Personal computer now is mostly used for desktop and laptops. You have those Apple ads which even convinced people that a PC is only a computer that runs windows, as hilarious as it sounds it worked for a lot of people.

#46 Posted by naz99 (985 posts) -

So if the steam box with hundreds of linux games is useless without windows on it then does that mean the xbone and ps4 with only a handfull of games are no better than paperweights?

#47 Edited by Gargus (2147 posts) -
#48 Posted by WallofTruth (1048 posts) -

@naz99 said:

@GioVela2010 said:

@walloftruth said:

@GioVela2010 said:

Stay Jelly desktop pleb.

I bet once the kids and wife have gone to bed you go into your room lay out all your hardwre on the floor and masterabte over it while looking at a picture of a tramp and screaming how he cant afford a theatre home setup like you, your vanity and insecurity is stunning and amazingly pathetic...but if it is what gets you off then so be it, but rather than being jealous most of us are glad we are not as pathetic or vain as you...... :)

You are like that kid at school that turns up in his £200 trainers and continue to brag to everyone about them, and he thinks everyone hates him because he can afford nice stuff but in reality everybody hates him because he is just simply an utter prick.

Stay classy

Kids and wife? You give him too much credit my friend.

#49 Posted by freedomfreak (38160 posts) -

A consolized PC.

The final step in total console domination.

#50 Posted by WallofTruth (1048 posts) -

In my eyes, it's a console. Xbox One runs Windows 8 lol. Anyway, it's targeted towards the relevant crowd called console gamers. Valve knows where the money at. I feel sorry for them having to deal with PC only gamers who'd only buy games when there's a huge discount.

And in my eyes you're a peasant. And I'm laughing at your last part, oh yes, poor Valve, they have to deal with PC only gamers who are making them billions, bu bu but PC gamers don't buy games! Haha pleb.