Steam Just turned PC gaming into a relaxing Console experience.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11792 Posts

[QUOTE="jimmypsn"][QUOTE="BPoole96"]

Take a look at these

BPoole96

AMD APUs are terrible for high performance gaming on PCs.

They aren't meant for high performance PC gaming (at least as standalone chips with no dedicated GPU), but having a game system that is smaller than a modem that plays PC games definitely has it's perks. These will only get better as APU tech becomes more robust.

Sapphire announced their AMD APU gaming PC series they call it"a revolution for gamers"

SAPPHIRE-EDGE-VS-PR2.jpg

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#202 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

[QUOTE="jimmypsn"] AMD APUs are terrible for high performance gaming on PCs.NoodleFighter

They aren't meant for high performance PC gaming (at least as standalone chips with no dedicated GPU), but having a game system that is smaller than a modem that plays PC games definitely has it's perks. These will only get better as APU tech becomes more robust.

Sapphire announced their AMD APU gaming PC series they call it"a revolution for gamers"

Dear Santa...

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#203 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11792 Posts

I'm still pissed microsoft never made this compatible with windows

Xboxchatpad2.jpg

HTPCs would of been perfect, and I'm surprised at no Xbox 360 controller support on the Metro UI

Xbox360_WirelessControllerwithMessengerK

GamerwillzPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204 GamerwillzPS
Member since 2012 • 8531 Posts

Xboxchatpad2.jpg

HTPCs would of been perfect, and I'm surprised at no Xbox 360 controller support on the Metro UI

Xbox360_WirelessControllerwithMessengerK

NoodleFighter

They're too busy counting money and making crappy Kinect games.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205 BPoole96

NoodleFighter

This would work well for a HTPC. That way you have cursor control without having to use a mouse and could set this on the coffee table.

Mr_Cumberdale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#206 Mr_Cumberdale
Member since 2004 • 10189 Posts
That's great! PC was very rarely a good platform to game on.
madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#207 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

So Hermits all along just wanted a console experience? :o Interesting...

psn8214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 psn8214
Member since 2009 • 14930 Posts

I like it a lot, but I don't use it. No need.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 BPoole96

madsnakehhh
It's about choice and options. On PC, I can use it as either a PC or I can use it as a console. It can do both very competently Consoles are watered down PCs that struggle to even run their own games. PC will soon enough do console gaming better than consoles themselves.
HaloPimp978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#210 HaloPimp978
Member since 2005 • 7329 Posts

Steam is the best nuff said.

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts
[QUOTE="madsnakehhh"]

BPoole96
It's about choice and options. On PC, I can use it as either a PC or I can use it as a console. It can do both very competently Consoles are watered down PCs that struggle to even run their own games. PC will soon enough do console gaming better than consoles themselves.

No, for reasons I already described. Giving a true console experience requires design decisions that are utterly antithetical to the nature of the PC as an open platform.
pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#212 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Hopefully this will prompt PC devs to make split screen an option for PC gamers.clyde46
Hopefully the developers will spend more time and recourses making games better instead of wasting time on obsolite methods of playing multi player.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 BPoole96
[QUOTE="BPoole96"][QUOTE="madsnakehhh"]

lowe0

No, for reasons I already described. Giving a true console experience requires design decisions that are utterly antithetical to the nature of the PC as an open platform.

Can you provide examples of these design decisions?
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
[QUOTE="NeonNinja"]

[QUOTE="II_Seraphim_II"]A second ago, consoles suck, now Steam is amazing cause it more console like?II_Seraphim_II

That's not what was said. Nor do you understand what's being discussed.

Steam is still EXACTLY as it was. There is no change to it when you use it on your PC.

It now features Big Picture mode. It is now easier than ever to hook up your computer to your television and browse through it with a gamepad, with a sleek UI. Steam now provides both experiences.

I know what is being said. Im exclusively a PC player now. My point is that people here spent countless hours going on about how terrible controllers are, and how consolites are idiots for even choosing them over the might KB+M, yet Steam releases a patch that pretty much tells you "Whip out your controller" and everyone is just d**k riding it...i bit hypocritical if u ask me.

Did you ever stop to think that those people saying that are trolls. Depending on what type of game you are playing as to which is better.
MK-Professor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 MK-Professor
Member since 2009 • 4214 Posts

[QUOTE="BPoole96"][QUOTE="madsnakehhh"]

lowe0

just set the settings like that"sub-HD, 30fps, low settings, small fov, controller" on your pc and you will get the ultimate console experience :lol:

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts
I kinda like it, its hard to navigate at first, like hiw do you get back to your game if you go onto the menus witho ut the keyboard n mouse? My girffreind and I bought castle crashers, I plugged my 360 wireless receiver into my laptop and steam automatically went into this mode, was pretty cool
Addict187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217 Addict187
Member since 2008 • 1128 Posts

[QUOTE="IgGy621985"]

[QUOTE="amaneuvering"]

You grasp whatever the f'k you want.

I know a pile of pointless gimmicky crap for complete nerds and nothing more when I see it.

This could have actually been something special.

It's not.

You can believe whatever it is you want to imagine to be the truth.

amaneuvering

Dude, why are you so angry?:?

In the end of the day, BPM is a choice. People can use it if they like it. Or they don't have. What's with all the hatred?

I'm not angry.

I just think clyde46 is a little t***er and I'm responding to him accordingly.

My point about BPM still stands regardless of who I'm replying to however.

This guy reminds me of that LOTR geek from clirks 2, the one gets so mad he throws up. Only a complet neerd coud get mad over somthing that dose not matter like the new steam interface, that i like and having fun using. You mad bro
tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

[QUOTE="lowe0"][QUOTE="BPoole96"] It's about choice and options. On PC, I can use it as either a PC or I can use it as a console. It can do both very competently Consoles are watered down PCs that struggle to even run their own games. PC will soon enough do console gaming better than consoles themselves.MK-Professor

just set the settings like that"sub-HD, 30fps, low settings, small fov, controller" on your pc and you will get the ultimate console experience :lol:

Also, if you scrunch your eyes up you will get that console-blur effect.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#219 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

I'm wondering if you can hook up a WiiU pro controller to PC. The 360 controller is pretty great except for 2D games like Super Meat Boy, nintendo controllers always have a better D-pad, which is ideal for that type of game.

Anyone try it ?

R4gn4r0k

someone has the Classic Controller working for PC.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#220 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46231 Posts

[QUOTE="R4gn4r0k"]

I'm wondering if you can hook up a WiiU pro controller to PC. The 360 controller is pretty great except for 2D games like Super Meat Boy, nintendo controllers always have a better D-pad, which is ideal for that type of game.

Anyone try it ?

LegatoSkyheart

someone has the Classic Controller working for PC.

Yeah but you need to have that hooked up to a Wiimote all the time so thats not so practical to me :P

I'm guessing that WiiU controllers also use bluetooth to connect like the Wii controllers, so it should be able to work on PC.

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 lowe0
[QUOTE="BPoole96"][QUOTE="lowe0"][QUOTE="BPoole96"] It's about choice and options. On PC, I can use it as either a PC or I can use it as a console. It can do both very competently Consoles are watered down PCs that struggle to even run their own games. PC will soon enough do console gaming better than consoles themselves.

Sure. Let's go with an easy one: auto login. For a single purpose device like a console, it makes sense to secure certain areas (microtransactions, mature games) and leave the rest of the system open for convenience. On a general purpose device that might contain copies of your tax returns, access to your bank or brokerage accounts, etc., it's irresponsible to have an automatic login. The ability to use the PC for many things other than gaming can add significant value, but precludes optimizing for a specific use case. Another good example is the ongoing debate about certification for apps: it's great for ensuring that developers follow a set of guidelines for a consistent user experience, but it also precludes the development of things like DayZ or even Minecraft. Valve takes a lighter touch with developers because the idea of strict testing and refusing certification is a non-starter on PC.
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 BPoole96

[QUOTE="BPoole96"][QUOTE="lowe0"] No, for reasons I already described. Giving a true console experience requires design decisions that are utterly antithetical to the nature of the PC as an open platform. lowe0

Sure. Let's go with an easy one: auto login. For a single purpose device like a console, it makes sense to secure certain areas (microtransactions, mature games) and leave the rest of the system open for convenience. On a general purpose device that might contain copies of your tax returns, access to your bank or brokerage accounts, etc., it's irresponsible to have an automatic login. The ability to use the PC for many things other than gaming can add significant value, but precludes optimizing for a specific use case. Another good example is the ongoing debate about certification for apps: it's great for ensuring that developers follow a set of guidelines for a consistent user experience, but it also precludes the development of things like DayZ or even Minecraft. Valve takes a lighter touch with developers because the idea of strict testing and refusing certification is a non-starter on PC.

You have a point with the auto login, but for those whom are using an HTPC as an multimedia hub for their living room, I doubt that they will be storing any valuable documents on there.It would make much more sense to keep that kind of stuff in a safer area and possibly on an external HDD that is locked with other valuables.

As for quality assurance and app certification, sure, that kind of stuff is more standardized on consoles, but that is not to say that most PC games are a mess and require all sorts of tinkering outside of game in order to play. For things like DayZ, that is a Mod in Beta testing, so obviously that is going to be buggy. Is that any different than console games getting beta tests for games? The purpose of that is to make a better product in the long run. If the standalone version of DayZ is still bug ridden, then it is open for harsh criticism.

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 lowe0

[QUOTE="lowe0"][QUOTE="BPoole96"] Can you provide examples of these design decisions?BPoole96

You have a point with the auto login, but for those whom are using an HTPC as an multimedia hub for their living room, I doubt that they will be storing any valuable documents on there.It would make much more sense to keep that kind of stuff in a safer area and possibly on an external HDD that is locked with other valuables.

As for quality assurance and app certification, sure, that kind of stuff is more standardized on consoles, but that is not to say that most PC games are a mess and require all sorts of tinkering outside of game in order to play. For things like DayZ, that is a Mod in Beta testing, so obviously that is going to be buggy. Is that any different than console games getting beta tests for games? The purpose of that is to make a better product in the long run. If the standalone version of DayZ is still bug ridden, then it is open for harsh criticism.

Not having a certifying authority manifests itself in other ways, too. Like I pointed out earlier, take a look at the category for "partial controller support" on Steam. On a console, there would be no partial support - even Guitar Hero had a gamepad mode. In the rare case where console manufacturers allow deviation from the platform's standards, only disaster results - see Metal Gear Online for an example of what happens without firm enforcement of standards.
Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts

[QUOTE="BPoole96"][QUOTE="lowe0"] No, for reasons I already described. Giving a true console experience requires design decisions that are utterly antithetical to the nature of the PC as an open platform. lowe0

Partition your HDD and encrypt the side that contains your sensistive information and automatically boot into the other one.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225 BPoole96

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

[QUOTE="lowe0"] Sure. Let's go with an easy one: auto login. For a single purpose device like a console, it makes sense to secure certain areas (microtransactions, mature games) and leave the rest of the system open for convenience. On a general purpose device that might contain copies of your tax returns, access to your bank or brokerage accounts, etc., it's irresponsible to have an automatic login. The ability to use the PC for many things other than gaming can add significant value, but precludes optimizing for a specific use case. Another good example is the ongoing debate about certification for apps: it's great for ensuring that developers follow a set of guidelines for a consistent user experience, but it also precludes the development of things like DayZ or even Minecraft. Valve takes a lighter touch with developers because the idea of strict testing and refusing certification is a non-starter on PC.lowe0

Not having a certifying authority manifests itself in other ways, too. Like I pointed out earlier, take a look at the category for "partial controller support" on Steam. On a console, there would be no partial support - even Guitar Hero had a gamepad mode. In the rare case where console manufacturers allow deviation from the platform's standards, only disaster results - see Metal Gear Online for an example of what happens without firm enforcement of standards.

The partial support thing is kind of wonky, but BPM just released. Now that Valve has created this interface built around controllers, I would expect they would encourage devs to offer full controller support into their games. That, of course, is only speculation, but I think this is a great step for those whom are interested in PC gaming but are accustomed to consoles and don't like change.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#226 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts
I don't use STEAM much. I think I have maybe 3 games off of STEAM. Could care less about the UI.
lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 lowe0

[QUOTE="lowe0"][QUOTE="BPoole96"]

BPoole96

The partial support thing is kind of wonky, but BPM just released. Now that Valve has created this interface built around controllers, I would expect they would encourage devs to offer full controller support into their games. That, of course, is only speculation, but I think this is a great step for those whom are interested in PC gaming but are accustomed to consoles and don't like change.

Encouragement isn't enough. 100% consistency requires an iron hand.
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 BPoole96

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

[QUOTE="lowe0"] Not having a certifying authority manifests itself in other ways, too. Like I pointed out earlier, take a look at the category for "partial controller support" on Steam. On a console, there would be no partial support - even Guitar Hero had a gamepad mode. In the rare case where console manufacturers allow deviation from the platform's standards, only disaster results - see Metal Gear Online for an example of what happens without firm enforcement of standards.lowe0

Encouragement isn't enough. 100% consistency requires an iron hand.

Maybe they will do that. All we can do is speculate at this point.

Avatar image for deactivated-61cc564148ef4
deactivated-61cc564148ef4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#229 deactivated-61cc564148ef4
Member since 2007 • 10909 Posts

Big Picture mode is great.

Valve is going to dominate the world and turn everyone into Gabens

1080pOnly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 1080pOnly
Member since 2009 • 2216 Posts

I don't use STEAM much. I think I have maybe 3 games off of STEAM. Could care less about the UI. blackace

Couldn't care less....

Sorry that's a bugbear of mine but think about what you're saying!