Steam Just turned PC gaming into a relaxing Console experience.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#151 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts
[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"][QUOTE="BPoole96"]

Big Picture Mode is awesome. I like the UI much better than PSN. I'm curious if Valve will start adding apps like Netflix and all that so there wouldn't be a need to exit BPM for users with HTPCs

Loegi
Can you start steam into BPM?

Yes, it's an option under interface.

Ahh thank you very much. I'm just going to start doing that.
II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#152 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts

[QUOTE="II_Seraphim_II"][QUOTE="clyde46"] Get the 360 pad. I cant recommend it enough.BPoole96

yeah i want it real bad, but im in St. Lucia and they dont have a lot of gaming hardware. They have used 360 pads on sale but they are the wireless ones and they dont sell the dongle to enable them to be used on PC. :(

Use your PS3 controller with MotionJoy. It will emulate a 360 pad and works just as well. You just have to keep it plugged in with the PS3 charger cable unless you buy the bluetooth dongle.

Yeah thats what I do. I mentioned it in a previous post, but i know how when there are many posts u just gloss over all the old ones lol, i do the same :P
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#153 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

omg, I can't beleive I'm reading that people actually would set up their computers to their tvs for this even though you could have already done that.

:?

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#154 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

[QUOTE="II_Seraphim_II"] yeah i want it real bad, but im in St. Lucia and they dont have a lot of gaming hardware. They have used 360 pads on sale but they are the wireless ones and they dont sell the dongle to enable them to be used on PC. :(II_Seraphim_II

Use your PS3 controller with MotionJoy. It will emulate a 360 pad and works just as well. You just have to keep it plugged in with the PS3 charger cable unless you buy the bluetooth dongle.

Yeah thats what I do. I mentioned it in a previous post, but i know how when there are many posts u just gloss over all the old ones lol, i do the same :P

lol yeah I just read the most recent posts. I don't always have time to read entire threads, especially when they're 100+ posts :P

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#155 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

So my complaint with PC gaming was it was never a seemless relaxing console like experience, that was always why the console was still my number 1 choice, but after I was prompted to restart steam I noticed a icon in the top right hand corner called big picture, once you click that it bascially turned steam into a TV/console like OS that is fully navagational with a 360 controller.

Steam was already great but this just made my pc into the console I have always wanted :)

Totalgym9000

Oh so that is what it does. I was trying to figure it out yesterday when I saw the news on GS. I wonder what new spin the PC haters here on SW will come up with. ;)

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

omg, I can't beleive I'm reading that people actually would set up their computers to their tvs for this even though you could have already done that.

LegatoSkyheart

No they couldn't. Read exactly what it does. It is like a XBL/PSN interface were you can use the gamepad to control everything.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 BPoole96

LegatoSkyheart

Having to switch between KB/M all the time previously was a bit of a hassle. Now, one could set Steam to launch when Windows opens, have BPM set to launch on Steam, and be right at the controller friendly UI without having to touch a mouse. Building an HTPC with a 7850 or 660Ti would be just like having a next gen console, except having all the benefit of PC.

Pair it up with XBMC, and you've got a much better entertainment hub for your living room than a console could provide.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11793 Posts

Cool, I guess. Can you make it launch at startup in this mode?

KiZZo1

Yeah some guy on youtube shows how you can do it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiA5JxWLUKo&list=FLhBx4YTB1c6nIhIaQAyirlQ&index=1&feature=plpp_video

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#159 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
I like Steam on my PC so Big Picture mode is nothing special for me. I will try it out though.
NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 NoodleFighter

[QUOTE="1080pOnly"]

[QUOTE="amaneuvering"]

Like I said; I simply came on trying to get some clarification as to how you're supposed to use this/benefit from this on a TV if you're not already using it via your PC anyway and people bashed me like I am some kind of retard.

I simply pointed out the stupidity of their initial reactions by going through exactly why I didn't think this was anything besides a mostly useless gimmick for the vast majority of people.

I didn't start the insults. I just returned the favor in kind.

amaneuvering

You must be right. You're a random dude on the gamespot forums and your opinion of nerdy/geeky features is bound to be more accurate than a whole gaming focused company that have invested a lot of time and money into developing a new UI. I guess Valve just love those 5 people you seem to think do this so much.

Come on man, you aren't that stupid....are you? Or maybe you are if you think it's hard to connect a HDMI cable from your PC to the TV.

See, it's clueless people like you that cause all the trouble.

I'm not on about it being hard to do. I'm on about it being pointless for the VAST VAST majority of people because most people haven't connected their PC to their TV and they quite simply won't. Not even for "Big Picture Mode".

The feature is going to be genuinely appealing to and practical for a tiny minority of people and it doesn't actually add that much of benefit even to those who do bother to connect their PC to their TV anyway.

They've invested a lot of time and money on a feature that very few people are ever going to use and even fewer are going to stick with using after a few mins and they realize they'd be better just using their keyboard and mouse for the most part.

You're just not clued in enough to comprehend that.

Over 500,000 people used the Beta

1080pOnly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 1080pOnly
Member since 2009 • 2216 Posts

I'm not on about it being hard to do. I'm on about it being pointless for the VAST VAST majority of people because most people haven't connected their PC to their TV and they quite simply won't. Not even for "Big Picture Mode".

The feature is going to be genuinely appealing to and practical for a tiny minority of people and it doesn't actually add that much of benefit even to those who do bother to connect their PC to their TV anyway.

They've invested a lot of time and money on a feature that very few people are ever going to use and even fewer are going to stick with using after a few mins and they realize they'd be better just using their keyboard and mouse for the most part.

amaneuvering

Stop raging. What 'trouble' am I, or people 'like me', causing? The only problem is in your mind...or what's left of it. The VAST VAST majority of people don't play games full stop, so by your reasoning we shouldn't get excited about anything on these boards.

There are so many reasons to hook up a PC to a TV these days and this is just one more. There are whole companies devoted to producing HTPC's and HTPC's alone...I guess they are selling to no one at all. It may not be completely mainstream yet but as more and more people do connect up and more and more features are released to support it then it will become so.

My TV has a great little gaming/multimedia PC behind it. I have a wireless KB with built in trackpad for web surfing, online TV streaming, Netflix/Lovefilm, DVD's and Blurays, playing my music from, recording TV onto and more. I then have a Wireless dongle and a couple of Wireless Xbox pads for playing games that I buy from Steam. I can now fire up Steam, toss the mini keyboard to one side and control everything from my pad when I have mates over...awesome.

Just go back to your rock, cover your eyes and hope the dark ages return.

Easyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#162 Easyle
Member since 2010 • 2034 Posts
ITT; we see someone make them-self look stupid. Don't rattle the cage to hard children. You might disturb it.
1080pOnly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 1080pOnly

Over 500,000 people used the Beta

NoodleFighter

Can't be true man, I heard some forum troll telling me no one would use it and he is da man for knowledge and stuff, serious!

hoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 hoola
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

Its really nice. I think if the colors/theme could be customized then that would be really cool. Right now it is better and easier to navigate than XBL and PSN which have had many more years to improve the TV gaming experience and still fail hard. That just shows you how awesome Valve is.

Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 Pug-Nasty
Member since 2009 • 8508 Posts

It's nice, but very few of my PC games even have partial gamepad support, so I don't think I'd find much use for it.

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#166 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

Just checked it out, looks awesome. Easily better than the 360 or PS3's UI's. Of course, I don't play PC games on my TV but it's a nice setup and I bet it would work well with the controller. Might just have to get an HDMI cable long enough to give it a shot.

Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts

Some screens.

a

a

a

a

a

jeffster85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 jeffster85
Member since 2010 • 2286 Posts
not a ton of games that support this currently, but i think it will cause a lot of games to add it, as it can be a good way to boost sales.
NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 NoodleFighter

Some screens.

SAGE_OF_FIRE

How did you get non steam games to display pictures?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 deactivated-58b6232955e4a

[QUOTE="SAGE_OF_FIRE"]

Some screens.

NoodleFighter

How did you get non steam games to display pictures?

You have to go to grid view and then you can set the banner image.
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 LegatoSkyheart

No they couldn't. Read exactly what it does. It is like a XBL/PSN interface were you can use the gamepad to control everything.

glez13

Why should I read on something I've had access to for months?

It's freakin' pointless if you ask me.

Having to switch between KB/M all the time previously was a bit of a hassle. Now, one could set Steam to launch when Windows opens, have BPM set to launch on Steam, and be right at the controller friendly UI without having to touch a mouse. Building an HTPC with a 7850 or 660Ti would be just like having a next gen console, except having all the benefit of PC.

Pair it up with XBMC, and you've got a much better entertainment hub for your living room than a console could provide.

BPoole96

Never is or was.

getting a game to read your Controller is usually as easy as plugging it in. If you needed to you could always install the drivers yourself, which is as simple as copy and pasting.

Otherwise you're just being lazy.

Oh btw, Big Picture Mode doesn't support all PC controlers fyi.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

chat looks nice in BP

CNf7L.jpg

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts
Except the majority of games will still required keyboard/mouse because controllers are limited little toys in comparison.
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 LegatoSkyheart

Some screens.

a

a

SAGE_OF_FIRE

I suddenly realized that most of those aren't PC games.

moistsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 moistsandwich
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

I've been using a 360 controller for PC gaming for years..... I'm failing to see the "NEW" here.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 deactivated-58b6232955e4a

[QUOTE="SAGE_OF_FIRE"]

Some screens.

a

LegatoSkyheart

a

I suppose

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 LegatoSkyheart

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

[QUOTE="SAGE_OF_FIRE"]

Some screens.

SAGE_OF_FIRE

I suppose

;) it's cool. I got non steam games on mine too.

5hN40.jpg

iB7aD.jpg

omKRz.jpg

(find the nonsteam games. :P bet you can't guess them lol.)

menes777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 menes777
Member since 2003 • 2643 Posts

This is Valve's stepping stone to making their own OS and/or gaming platform. They are going to see how well this does and how many users consistently use it. Then use that data to select to either make a whole gaming oriented OS (based on Linux) and or a complete console like system (also probably Linux based).

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 NoodleFighter

[QUOTE="SAGE_OF_FIRE"]

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

LegatoSkyheart

I suppose

Billy Hatcher

Day Z

Battlefield 3

SWTOR

Jioel

Kanoei

MineCraft

Guild Wars 2

What's my prize :D

menes777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 menes777
Member since 2003 • 2643 Posts

[QUOTE="1080pOnly"]

[QUOTE="amaneuvering"]

Like I said; I simply came on trying to get some clarification as to how you're supposed to use this/benefit from this on a TV if you're not already using it via your PC anyway and people bashed me like I am some kind of retard.

I simply pointed out the stupidity of their initial reactions by going through exactly why I didn't think this was anything besides a mostly useless gimmick for the vast majority of people.

I didn't start the insults. I just returned the favor in kind.

amaneuvering

You must be right. You're a random dude on the gamespot forums and your opinion of nerdy/geeky features is bound to be more accurate than a whole gaming focused company that have invested a lot of time and money into developing a new UI. I guess Valve just love those 5 people you seem to think do this so much.

Come on man, you aren't that stupid....are you? Or maybe you are if you think it's hard to connect a HDMI cable from your PC to the TV.

That's funny because the guys who are more into the HTPC scene probably consider the gamers the geeky ones! LOL

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 LegatoSkyheart

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

[QUOTE="SAGE_OF_FIRE"]

I suppose

NoodleFighter

Billy Hatcher

Day Z

Battlefield 3

SWTOR

Jioel

Kanoei

MineCraft

Guild Wars 2

What's my prize :D

ooo so close. and it's Jisei and Kansei but yeah you were close to naming them all.

according to what I see in the pictures theres at least 10 (12 actually) visible games that are not Steam Powered.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46260 Posts

Some screensSAGE_OF_FIRE

I know this stuff can't be talked about on the forums so can you send me a PM on how you can have a seperate icon & launcher per game i.e. not launch them through one program ?

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts
That's been in beta for a while, you could always do it. Not sure why you would want to have it full screen, as you play games full screen, not Steam the game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 deactivated-58b6232955e4a

[QUOTE="SAGE_OF_FIRE"]

Some screensR4gn4r0k

I know this stuff can't be talked about on the forums so can you send me a PM on how you can have a seperate icon & launcher per game i.e. not launch them through one program ?

[spoiler] For the Ps2 in the Steam shortcut you just place the path to the iso after the target in quotes (Example: "C:\Games\application.exe" "C:\Games\game.ISO") for the wii/gcn you do the same thing but add /e between the two paths and /b after the second one (Example: "C:\Games\application.exe" /e "C:\Games\game.iso" /b). [/spoiler] .

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 LegatoSkyheart

hidden

SAGE_OF_FIRE

You should probably PM him instead bra.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 deactivated-58b6232955e4a

[QUOTE="SAGE_OF_FIRE"]

hidden

LegatoSkyheart

You should probably PM him instead bra.

Hey I'm just talking about making shortcuts which is a normal feature in operating systems.
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46260 Posts

I'm wondering if you can hook up a WiiU pro controller to PC. The 360 controller is pretty great except for 2D games like Super Meat Boy, nintendo controllers always have a better D-pad, which is ideal for that type of game.

Anyone try it ?

Hey I'm just talking about making shortcuts which is a normal feature in operating systems. SAGE_OF_FIRE

Thanks. Never knew that:)

Avatar image for deactivated-5dd711115e664
deactivated-5dd711115e664

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 deactivated-5dd711115e664
Member since 2005 • 8956 Posts

So wait...does this mean Steam is now casual and/or holding back PCs? Because I thought PC fanboys believed everything associated with consoles was horrible, inferior and "holding back PC".

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#190 MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts

So wait...does this mean Steam is now casual and/or holding back PCs? Because I thought PC fanboys believed everything associated with consoles was horrible, inferior and "holding back PC".

ZIMdoom
You clearly havent´t seen what this is all about,this isn´t changing steam in any way,shape or form,it´s only adding the option to use the interface with a controller easier for people that prefer that input method,that´s what the PC is all about,options. And in this specific case,they´re doing a much better job with this than the actual ccurrent console interfaces,so that´s pretty amusing. This just adds another layer to the service to get even more people on board but steam itself is the same as always.
1080pOnly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 1080pOnly

ZIMdoom

Yawn. Not everything, just 98.63% of things. Controllers for the arcade titles, KB/M for everything else.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

ZIMdoom

They also mostly agree that more options are better :?

jimmypsn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 jimmypsn
Member since 2010 • 4425 Posts

I don't see the point of my gaming rigg next to my HDTV in the living room but whatever floats your boat.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#194 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

They need to hurry up with Steam gamepad. Playing games with keyboard is turrible.

Mr_BillGates

Works fine with 360 controller :)

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 BPoole96

I don't see the point of my gaming rigg next to my HDTV in the living room but whatever floats your boat.

jimmypsn

Take a look at these

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#196 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts
Steam definitely helps makes games more available but it doesn't turn a PC into a console imo. There are lots of other aspects of consoles that make them more approachable to the average consumer besides selecting games. There's the initial price of the hardware for one, but mostly the fact that you don't have to worry about maintaining your hardware after buying a console. With a console you can stick it in the corner and forget about it until the next gen. With PCs you have to worry about keeping your specs up and also keeping it running smoothly as performance drags down the more you use it. A lot of people don't know about or understand the benefits of defrag.
jimmypsn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 jimmypsn

[QUOTE="jimmypsn"]

BPoole96

Take a look at these

AMD APUs are terrible for high performance gaming on PCs.
jimmypsn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 jimmypsn
Steam definitely helps makes games more available but it doesn't turn a PC into a console imo. There are lots of other aspects of consoles that make them more approachable to the average consumer besides selecting games. There's the initial price of the hardware for one, but mostly the fact that you don't have to worry about maintaining your hardware after buying a console. With a console you can stick it in the corner and forget about it until the next gen. With PCs you have to worry about keeping your specs up and also keeping it running smoothly as performance drags down the more you use it. A lot of people don't know about or understand the benefits of defrag.GunSmith1_basic
I agree there's more to console gaming than being able to play on your HDTV.
PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts
I messed around with the new interface for a bit, and then switched back. I could see the appeal if everything on my computer ran on a similar interface and I could just launch Steam with a controller because then I wouldn't really need a keyboard and mouse to play games in my living room. I do need a keyboard and mouse to operate everything else on the computer, though, so why not use the old interface that makes it quicker and easier to navigate the store and find my games?
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 BPoole96

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

[QUOTE="jimmypsn"]

jimmypsn

Take a look at these

AMD APUs are terrible for high performance gaming on PCs.

They aren't meant for high performance PC gaming (at least as standalone chips with no dedicated GPU), but having a game system that is smaller than a modem that plays PC games definitely has it's perks. These will only get better as APU tech becomes more robust.