Steam Just turned PC gaming into a relaxing Console experience.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Totalgym9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Totalgym9000
Member since 2009 • 1456 Posts

So my complaint with PC gaming was it was never a seemless relaxing console like experience, that was always why the console was still my number 1 choice, but after I was prompted to restart steam I noticed a icon in the top right hand corner called big picture, once you click that it bascially turned steam into a TV/console like OS that is fully navagational with a 360 controller.

Steam was already great but this just made my pc into the console I have always wanted :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
ITT:Hermit circle jerk.
Mrcod11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Mrcod11
Member since 2003 • 3059 Posts

All hail the gaben.

Speedzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Speedzilla
Member since 2012 • 1732 Posts

Good for you.

blog ?

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#5 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

I didn't think Big Picture would be so cool.

It's a definite game changer as far as I'm concerned. I have no need for consoles any more. It doesn't matter what features they add, at the end of the day I have my desktop with keyboard and mouse. But if I want to lounge around on the sofa with a gamepad that option just opened up and it's easy as hell to use. It works awesome on the TV which will be perfect if my buddies or family show up and want to play a game. I toss them the gamepad and we can chill on the sofa.

My entire collection is still there, my friends are all still there and it's just a really seamless and easy to use experience. I'm surprised it hasn't been getting that much more attenton. But as far as I'm concerned, there is no need for me to purchase a console ever again. Steam just changed everything and as we move towards a more integrated future with technology standalone game devices will lose their place on the market. But what's the point of adding in social and browser features when everything I own already does those things so intuitively and now I can use Big Picture with my desktop or my laptop and just run it through the TV to get a similar gaming experience anyway? It's amazing how far ahead of the competition Steam is. Yeah, you could always connect your PC to your TV, but now the UI is totally designed for use with a gamepad and it's just that much smoother on the TV. Very nicely done Gaben.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

Big Picture Mode is awesome. I like the UI much better than PSN. I'm curious if Valve will start adding apps like Netflix and all that so there wouldn't be a need to exit BPM for users with HTPCs

Mr_BillGates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Mr_BillGates
Member since 2005 • 3211 Posts

They need to hurry up with Steam gamepad. Playing games with keyboard is turrible.

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts
I gotta admit, Big Picture UI is sleeker than the console UI's out right now. Plus that water drop intro reminds of the Dreamcast.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

It's pretty cool, works well with a controller. There are still some slight issues, but it's very sleek

arto1223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 arto1223
Member since 2005 • 4412 Posts

I tried it out for a bit. I still prefer the standard layout though if I had to pick one out of the PS3, 360, and Steam, I prefer Steam's.

I just want Valve to make a gaming focused OS now. Oh, and HL3.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

ITT:Hermit circle jerk.darkspineslayer

ITT: Butthurt consolites that PC is factually superior.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

It's a purty UI.

II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts
A second ago, consoles suck, now Steam is amazing cause it more console like?
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
Hopefully this will prompt PC devs to make split screen an option for PC gamers.
NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 NeonNinja

A second ago, consoles suck, now Steam is amazing cause it more console like?II_Seraphim_II

That's not what was said. Nor do you understand what's being discussed.

Steam is still EXACTLY as it was. There is no change to it when you use it on your PC.

It now features Big Picture mode. It is now easier than ever to hook up your computer to your television and browse through it with a gamepad, with a sleek UI. Steam now provides both experiences.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#16 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts
The UI needs more dubstep.
II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 II_Seraphim_II

[QUOTE="II_Seraphim_II"]A second ago, consoles suck, now Steam is amazing cause it more console like?NeonNinja

Steam is still EXACTLY as it was. There is no change to it when you use it on your PC.

It now features Big Picture mode. It is now easier than ever to hook up your computer to your television and browse through it with a gamepad, with a sleek UI. Steam now provides both experiences.

I know what is being said. Im exclusively a PC player now. My point is that people here spent countless hours going on about how terrible controllers are, and how consolites are idiots for even choosing them over the might KB+M, yet Steam releases a patch that pretty much tells you "Whip out your controller" and everyone is just d**k riding it...i bit hypocritical if u ask me.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 clyde46

[QUOTE="NeonNinja"]

[QUOTE="II_Seraphim_II"]A second ago, consoles suck, now Steam is amazing cause it more console like?II_Seraphim_II

I know what is being said. Im exclusively a PC player now. My point is that people here spent countless hours going on about how terrible controllers are, and how consolites are idiots for even choosing them over the might KB+M, yet Steam releases a patch that pretty much tells you "Whip out your controller" and everyone is just d**k riding it...i bit hypocritical if u ask me.

Yes, some people did berate consoles for that fact but most PC gamers have a controller of some sort so this is a very good thing.

ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts
Tried it out, really liked it.
DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26641 Posts
[QUOTE="NeonNinja"]

[QUOTE="II_Seraphim_II"]A second ago, consoles suck, now Steam is amazing cause it more console like?II_Seraphim_II

No, we don't berate controllers. We berate consoles because they force you to use controllers for every game. You have it wrong.
NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 NeonNinja

[QUOTE="NeonNinja"]

Some people are like that, sure. But there's no denying that some games in my Steam library need a controller: Dark Souls, Sonic Generations, Geometry Wars all come to mind.

So the whole "everyone is d*ck riding" is an overstatement. This eliminates the need for me to even consider a future console purchase as it will essentially give me the option to play my Steam games whichever way I prefer, whether it's with a mouse and keyboard or with a gamepad. That and you don't need a gamepad for Big Picture mode. It's compatible with a mouse and keyboard as well. The interface is sleek and easy to use and works great on a TV. It's cool man. People are allowed to get excited about their favorite service expanding. Especially when it costs them no extra money. It's a dope idea and it's really easy to use. Hypocritical or not, it opens up further options for PC GAMING and not the other way around.

II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 II_Seraphim_II
[QUOTE="clyde46"] Yes, some people did berate consoles for that fact but most PC gamers have a control of some sort so this is a very good thing.

Im with you. Im excited about this. hook up my lappy to my projector, and get my game on! Ive been using my controller on my PC for ages...its just makes more sense for certain games (i.e. racers, open world games like sleeping dogs and gta4). And when im about to sleep, i always play with a controller. Its more comfortable and i dont need to have my lap top on my bed. I can leave it on my desk hooked up to my projector and just chill on my bed and play! Just calling out all the hypocrites :P
KiZZo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 KiZZo1
Member since 2007 • 3989 Posts

Cool, I guess. Can you make it launch at startup in this mode?

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 clyde46

[QUOTE="clyde46"] Yes, some people did berate consoles for that fact but most PC gamers have a control of some sort so this is a very good thing. II_Seraphim_II
Im with you. Im excited about this. hook up my lappy to my projector, and get my game on! Ive been using my controller on my PC for ages...its just makes more sense for certain games (i.e. racers, open world games like sleeping dogs and gta4). And when im about to sleep, i always play with a controller. Its more comfortable and i dont need to have my lap top on my bed. I can leave it on my desk hooked up to my projector and just chill on my bed and play! Just calling out all the hypocrites :P

Funny you mention those games. I played GTA4 with a controller and Sleeping Dogs with a controller. :P

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 clyde46

Cool, I guess. Can you make it launch at startup in this mode?

KiZZo1
I believe you can.
mccoyca112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mccoyca112
Member since 2007 • 5434 Posts

As of right now, I don't like it. Hopefully they change it up, make it more smooth, and easier to navigate. I will say that I love the web searcher, and community tab. They're excellent. I should elaborate that if it's an actual console experience that you're looking for, it's not too shabby.

SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#27 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

given that Steam is all about the games and community. i really like it.

I like PSN and XBL, but they're both so cluttered with every other multi-media app jammed in.

As for me, i need a devoted controller. All i got right now is a jerry-rigged PS3 controller. it works fine, just hate having to set it all up each time.

Totalgym9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Totalgym9000
Member since 2009 • 1456 Posts
If windows 8 ends up letting u navigate the metro start up using a 360 controller than you will be able to get a pretty seamless console experience.
II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 II_Seraphim_II

I like PSN and XBL, but they're both so cluttered with every other multi-media app jammed in.

As for me, i need a devoted controller. All i got right now is a jerry-rigged PS3 controller. it works fine, just hate having to set it all up each time.

SaudiFury
LOLOLOL! Dude im like you. I use my PS3 controller with MotionJoy. I think tomorrow ill hit the store and buy a legit logitech controller.
MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts
It´s funny that the PC is the one actually doing the best controller based interface of any system lol.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 clyde46
[QUOTE="SaudiFury"]

II_Seraphim_II
LOLOLOL! Dude im like you. I use my PS3 controller with MotionJoy. I think tomorrow ill hit the store and buy a legit logitech controller.

Get the 360 pad. I cant recommend it enough.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 clyde46
It´s funny that the PC is the one actually doing the best controller based interface of any system lol.MrYaotubo
The original Xbox Blades were awesome.
MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts
[QUOTE="MrYaotubo"]It´s funny that the PC is the one actually doing the best controller based interface of any system lol.clyde46

They were certainly much better than what we have now that´s for sure,wouldn´t say it was better than BP though.
Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#34 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts
My major issues with PC gaming were that it was very uncomfortable and the lack of Japanese software. The integration of 360 controllers (and UI) into games is a great start. Now we have a UI that works well as well (before you would need a mouse and have to sit at your workstation to load up a game). As for Japanese games...well they have almost no prominence on consoles these days anyway (having moved to handhelds), and to an extent the indie scene scratches the same itches. There are still some steps that could be taken though to improve the experience. For instance, some games need UI tweak options to make them TV friendly (RTS in particular) and other games inexplicably have console UI and input removed for the PC versions (almost all the recent Bioware games). I don't expect the former to ever change (though I guess I do mostly use the PC for console ports). Now all I need to do is find an effective way to kill the fan noise on the PC and we're good.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 clyde46
[QUOTE="Articuno76"]My major issues with PC gaming were that it was very uncomfortable and the lack of Japanese software. The integration of 360 controllers (and UI) into games is a great start. Now we have a UI that works well as well (before you would need a mouse and have to sit at your workstation to load up a game). As for Japanese games...well they have almost no prominence on consoles these days anyway (having moved to handhelds), and to an extent the indie scene scratches the same itches. There are still some steps that could be taken though to improve the experience. For instance, some games need UI tweak options to make them TV friendly (RTS in particular) and other games inexplicably have console UI and input removed for the PC versions (almost all the recent Bioware games). I don't expect the former to ever change (though I guess I do mostly use the PC for console ports). Now all I need to do is find an effective way to kill the fan noise on the PC and we're good.

To fight the noise, you have to get a good case with good ventilation so you dont need to have a lot of high powered fans.
SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#36 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts
[QUOTE="II_Seraphim_II"][QUOTE="SaudiFury"]

clyde46

Get the 360 pad. I cant recommend it enough.

I got a 360 controller. I barely use my 360 at all (just for exclusives which i rent, like i did with Halo 4 recently, and will do with Gears of War Judgement). just ordered the 360 Receiver for PC. be here next week. not in like a huge rush. i got a shame pile on PS3, Vita, and PC to play through, and the big spring game-blitz is coming. Once i got it, i'll definitely play with Big Picture some more. it'll probably be the thing that'll get me playing more on PC in my game room.
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 45993 Posts

[QUOTE="MrYaotubo"]It´s funny that the PC is the one actually doing the best controller based interface of any system lol.clyde46

Oh yeah. I still have to try out big picture mode but that and the XMB are my favourite controller UIs

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 clyde46

[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="MrYaotubo"]It´s funny that the PC is the one actually doing the best controller based interface of any system lol.R4gn4r0k

Oh yeah. I still have to try out big picture mode but that and the XMB are my favourite controller UIs

I dont think I'm going to bother too much with BP just yet. I dont play on a TV so its a bit redunant for me. But in the future I'm planning on building a gaming grade HTPC so it will in handy then.
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 45993 Posts

I dont think I'm going to bother too much with BP just yet. I dont play on a TV so its a bit redunant for me. But in the future I'm planning on building a gaming grade HTPC so it will in handy then.clyde46

A gaming grade HTPC is not easy to build right ? It can't be too big or make too much noise yet needs to have a decent graphics card.

I'm thinking about moving my PC up to my room where I can hook it up to my HDTV, would be great for playing games like GTA IV or Most Wanted which I'm playing with a controller anyway:)

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 NeonNinja

My major issues with PC gaming were that it was very uncomfortable and the lack of Japanese software. The integration of 360 controllers (and UI) into games is a great start. Now we have a UI that works well as well (before you would need a mouse and have to sit at your workstation to load up a game). As for Japanese games...well they have almost no prominence on consoles these days anyway (having moved to handhelds), and to an extent the indie scene scratches the same itches. There are still some steps that could be taken though to improve the experience. For instance, some games need UI tweak options to make them TV friendly (RTS in particular) and other games inexplicably have console UI and input removed for the PC versions (almost all the recent Bioware games). I don't expect the former to ever change (though I guess I do mostly use the PC for console ports). Now all I need to do is find an effective way to kill the fan noise on the PC and we're good.Articuno76

The lack of Japanese software is a little sad. I still managed to buy a few Japanese games: Binary Domain, Dark Souls, Recettear, Sonic Generations are what I have on Steam (and Guilty Gear X2 #Reload off of GoG). I'm eyeing Half-Minute Hero and even considering The Last Remnant at the moment. But there really isn't much.

I'm still really hoping that Platinum Games intend on releasing their titles on PC as there were some articles about that earlier this year when they visited Gaben and the Steam offices.

amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#41 amaneuvering
Member since 2009 • 4809 Posts
But how do you actually get it to run on your TV? My PC isn't connected to my TV and you don't have it on Wii/WiiU/Xbox360/PS3. So how the hell does it work on your TV?
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 clyde46

[QUOTE="clyde46"]I dont think I'm going to bother too much with BP just yet. I dont play on a TV so its a bit redunant for me. But in the future I'm planning on building a gaming grade HTPC so it will in handy then.R4gn4r0k

A gaming grade HTPC is not easy to build right ? It can't be too big or make too much noise yet needs to have a decent graphics card.

I'm thinking about moving my PC up to my room where I can hook it up to my HDTV, would be great for playing games like GTA IV or Most Wanted which I'm playing with a controller anyway:)

2500K used Z77 M-ITX 8Gb of RAM 128Gb SSD 500W Modular PSU Bitfenix Prodigy AMD 7950 Would play anything at 1080p.
IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

Used BPM while it was in beta. It's okay, but since FIFA 13 is the only game I play via the 360 pad, I don't actually need it.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 clyde46
[QUOTE="amaneuvering"]But how do you actually get it to run on your TV? My PC isn't connected to my TV and you don't have it on Wii/WiiU/Xbox360/PS3. So how the hell does it work on your TV?

Have Steam boot when you start your PC up, it should boot straight into BP mode.
GamerwillzPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 GamerwillzPS
Member since 2012 • 8531 Posts

I really like the Big Picture UI, it looks great. Much nicer and fluider than PS3's and 360's UI. It's good that Valve is doing something good for the PC.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#46 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

Now all I need to do is find an effective way to kill the fan noise on the PC and we're good.Articuno76

Liquid cooling. Total silence, and it'll keep your components cooler than any fans ever could.

Or, if you're feeling adventurous (and a little ghetto), remove all your fans, and put your entire motherboard (with RAM, CPU, GPU, etc. attached) into a fish tank full of vegetable oil. Keep your power supply, disc drives, and harddrives out of the tank, and just run their cables right into the tank, and peripheral cables (mouse/keyboard, controllers, monitor) out of the tank.

It works because, unlike water, vegetable oil doesn't conduct electricity, so the components submerged in it work just fine, and aren't damaged (aside from being messy when and if you remove them). However, being a liquid, the oil makes full surface contact with every component, and every little nook and cranny of the mobo, absorbing all the heat right out of them. Works so well you can overclock your processors to more than double their factory speeds, and they'll never even rise above room temperature.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 the_bi99man

But how do you actually get it to run on your TV? My PC isn't connected to my TV and you don't have it on Wii/WiiU/Xbox360/PS3. So how the hell does it work on your TV?amaneuvering

Umm... by plugging your PC into your TV. Which any PC built in the last 10 years can do, with any HDTV.

Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Ly_the_Fairy
Member since 2011 • 8541 Posts

I'm no more, or less relaxed when I game on my PC in comparison to console gaming.

I donno, maybe it's because I bought a quality computer chair, but I can sit in it forever, and not care too much.

With that said I won't find much use for this new mode. It's just rare that I actually buy a PC game that works best with a controller, and I don't have a seperate in my living room. If I did then I'm sure I'd download what controller-friendly games I do have onto it

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 the_bi99man

I really like the Big Picture UI, it looks great. Much nicer and fluider than PS3's and 360's UI. It's good that Valve is doing something good for the PC.

GamerwillzPS

I really dig it too. Makes me want to get more games that I would control with my 360 controller. I only have a few games on Steam I even could play with a controller. And a couple of them are shooters, which control as well as you could expect from a console game, but I'd still use m/kb more often because, you know, they're shooters.

amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#50 amaneuvering
Member since 2009 • 4809 Posts

[QUOTE="amaneuvering"]But how do you actually get it to run on your TV? My PC isn't connected to my TV and you don't have it on Wii/WiiU/Xbox360/PS3. So how the hell does it work on your TV?clyde46
Have Steam boot when you start your PC up, it should boot straight into BP mode.

I'm talking about getting it ON MY TV.

Sure, I can run it on my PC that's stuck in the corner of my room but that doesn't change anything.

How do I actually get Steam to run on my TV that's sitting in the center or my living room in front of my nice comfy sofa?

That's the whole point selling point of this right, to be able to play it on my big TV from the comfort of my sofa, no?