Steam is a Worse DRM Than Xbone

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LordSadic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#301 LordSadic
Member since 2010 • 298 Posts

PC games have always been un-sellable once you use them. Its nothing new. clyde46

Not always, but for the most part yes, didn't see anyone bitchin about it though.

STEAM SALES > Xbot1 Solid_Tango

To all people saying "because of the price" "It has sales" etc. ¿Would you be okay with the Xbone if adopted this kind of pricing and discounts (apart from the games they will be gifting every month)? Because to me that seems to be the only grip steam has for you guys.....

savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#302 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts

wow there is a lot of misinformation about steam in here, to the people that were saying games can come drm free that is a flatout lie,

The executables have hooks to Steam which will start steam. Steam is requied to play steam purchased games. I think people aren't understanding the difference between portable and drm free. Yes you can easily copy them to another drive/pc and run them, in which case will want to start steam first.

Also offline mode works much like xbox's, I just don't think it's as intrusive as every 24 hours. I imagine its more of an adaptive system where the more you try to run in offline mode, the more likely it's going to want to keep checking in. Otherwise the checkin seems random, sometimes it wants to check in when you restart steam for w/e reason. Sometimes it feels like you get away wiht a lot of offline mode.

Your not supposed to lend people your account. Thats really a big no no, but I imagine you can get away with it on any system. It'll be slitghtly harder on xbox.

I think xbox seems slightly more flexible with lending people games, or at least will be. I have no problem with xbox's licensing as described, after all steam has worked fine for me. I'm just hoping the retail market doesn't try to keep high prices, or microsoft try's to maintain those prices actively stiffling competition since they now control the entire software market on xbox. That's not the case on PC where competition is fierce.

Link256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#304 Link256
Member since 2005 • 29195 Posts

Along with what everyone has said, people buy new games on steam for absurdly cheap, like legit recent games for a few dollars. The sales are insane and frequent, PLUS Steam isn't a monopoly, the PC has plenty of competition, digital and retail. You have tons of options.Eddie-Vedder
This.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#305 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Got to agree. I hate Steam. Just recently I purchased The Witcher 2 off Steam and my game files kept getting messed up along with some random shitty lag spikes. I did some reading on the Internet to try and fix these issues and ended up uninstalling the client all together. Unfortunately that uninstalled IL2 Dover as well! *sigh Oh well shit happens.messedupworld

that sounds like a problem on your end

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#306 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

[QUOTE="cain006"]

[QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"]Games on Steam = mostly 50 dollars and under--many on sale for 25 or less. Games on Xbone = 60+PurpleMan5000

I'm a hermit but I hate this argument. Console games do go on sale and guess what, you can sell them. My brother sold Portal 2 for like $15 last week because of the special gamestop had going on.

But really cost has nothing to do with this, DRM is DRM and consumers should be against it.

Console games go on sale and you can sell them, but you just don't see massive sales on multiple games where you can stockpile an entire year's supply at 70-80% off, like the Steam Christmas sale. If the Xbox One had something similar, I don't think people would care as much about the whole used game thing.

People SHOULD complain about this. Why would you just sit there and lose the ability to do stuff because MS said something?

And those pack deals usually aren't very good. Very rarely will anybody play all the games and you're probably only interested in half of them.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#308 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

[QUOTE="messedupworld"]Got to agree. I hate Steam. Just recently I purchased The Witcher 2 off Steam and my game files kept getting messed up along with some random shitty lag spikes. I did some reading on the Internet to try and fix these issues and ended up uninstalling the client all together. Unfortunately that uninstalled IL2 Dover as well! *sigh Oh well shit happens.lostrib

That's quite a problem; sounds like User Error to me. Uninstalled another game? :lol:

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#309 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts
[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="messedupworld"]Got to agree. I hate Steam. Just recently I purchased The Witcher 2 off Steam and my game files kept getting messed up along with some random shitty lag spikes. I did some reading on the Internet to try and fix these issues and ended up uninstalling the client all together. Unfortunately that uninstalled IL2 Dover as well! *sigh Oh well shit happens.messedupworld

I don't care. I bought a GoG copy of The Witcher 2 it's been 2 weeks and zero issues. Had Steam copy for about 5 days.

Wow, you realize you can put that steam copy key on your Gog.com account and get the game for free on GoG.com, right?
bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#310 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

I think your all forgetting it's not all about the drm or steam. it's the fact xbox one charges you for xbox live you then have to pay for the internet connection from the provider, to even buy a game off of xbox you have to have xbox live, steam is free when i go on my pc, i can buy games for cheap and i'm done, happy i can even play the games offline all the time, xbone won't let me, what if my internet goes off for a week for repairs or i'm having stuff done to my house can i still play even if it hasn't checked in who knows.

EvanTheGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#311 EvanTheGamer
Member since 2009 • 1550 Posts

Console gaming isn't supposed to suck like PC gaming.

This is what TC does not understand.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#312 lostrib

Console gaming isn't supposed to suck like PC gaming.

This is what TC does not understand.

EvanTheGamer

shhhh. go away

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#313 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

On Steam:

1) You have to be connected to the internet to activate any new games, even the ones you bought from retail.

2) Constantly gets greeted by annoying pop-up when you launch the client.

3) NO USED GAMES AT ALL! You can't legally sell your games under their EULA.

4) No game sharing beside giving your account to somebody else.

5) Offline mode is really spotty and can get very buggy at some times.

6) You can't get unbanned from VAC if your account was hacked and the hacker used cheats on VAC servers. You have to re-buy all these games.

7) System was forced on the consumers on 2004 specially with the release of HL2. Many copies of that game required Steam to function when Steam was really buggy and crappy. This is the definition of anti-consumer right there.

On Xbone:

1) Connect at least once every 24, which sucks.

2) Used games will still exist, but the market will be more controlled.

3) Sharing will be available (up to 10 family members).

4) Loaning the games or giving away to friends will be avalible (not on launch).

So why does Gamespot posters defend the POS that is STEAM in arms? If people are really agains the POS that is DRM and the Xbone then perhaps they need to stick to their principles and fight big Gabe Newell too since his policies are even worse regarding used games. No wonder his ass is getting kicked by EU courts where this crap can't pass there.

I get that people enjoy the savings, but would those people support the xbone if prices were cheaper? Are people really okay with crappy DRM if they are saving a few bucks even if the DRM is anti-consumer? Are gamers simply addicted and can't stop gaming no matter how bad the treatment they get is?

kingfire11

Let me first take the Steam points you make since some of them is clearly misunderstod

1) Most games does this and its not just Steam, also its a one time deal and then you dont have to do it anymore,

2) You do know right that you can turn it off right? 

3) And? noone forces you to buy it from steam, you can buy it retail and do what ever you like with it.

4) Again as above steam is a option and unless you buy the games on sale, prices are almost the same as a retail and you even get the added bonus of having something physical to share (Also dont say this but you can actually share the steam game anyways ;) ) 

5) What offline mode is buggy? i think i have played aroudn 1000+ hours offline and i have yet to have one single problem with any game.

6) And? still dont see why its a point against steam? noone forces you to buy games on steam.

7) So what your saying is a complaint against a VALVE game using a VALVE system , its almost like EA using Origin and forcing it on you eh? or MS forcing Live on you or UBIsoft wanting you to use Uplay. 

Also the biggest thing you clearly misunderstand is that Steam is not a console "yet" and its Software, its not hardware.

kingfire11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#314 kingfire11
Member since 2005 • 1498 Posts

wow there is a lot of misinformation about steam in here, to the people that were saying games can come drm free that is a flatout lie,

The executables have hooks to Steam which will start steam. Steam is requied to play steam purchased games. I think people aren't understanding the difference between portable and drm free. Yes you can easily copy them to another drive/pc and run them, in which case will want to start steam first.

Also offline mode works much like xbox's, I just don't think it's as intrusive as every 24 hours. I imagine its more of an adaptive system where the more you try to run in offline mode, the more likely it's going to want to keep checking in. Otherwise the checkin seems random, sometimes it wants to check in when you restart steam for w/e reason. Sometimes it feels like you get away wiht a lot of offline mode.

Your not supposed to lend people your account. Thats really a big no no, but I imagine you can get away with it on any system. It'll be slitghtly harder on xbox.

I think xbox seems slightly more flexible with lending people games, or at least will be. I have no problem with xbox's licensing as described, after all steam has worked fine for me. I'm just hoping the retail market doesn't try to keep high prices, or microsoft try's to maintain those prices actively stiffling competition since they now control the entire software market on xbox. That's not the case on PC where competition is fierce.

savagetwinkie
Exactly. I have some of these supposed "drm free" games and they do launch Steam first. Good post.
Sali217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#315 Sali217
Member since 2012 • 1301 Posts

When I buy a game new on Steam and still end up with more money in my pocket than someone who bought a console disk and then resold it at a horrible price at gamestop, I have nothing to complain about.

Sure at launch they are pretty much the same price new, but I know I'm not an impatient child and can wait a month or two and get a kickass deal on the game. 
Even much later, when consolite buy an expensive scratched disk at their gaming store, I'll have a nice clean download for 5$ on Steam. 

Idontremember
If I can beat a retail game in 3 or 4 days I can sell it on ebay for nearly what I paid for it.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#316 lostrib

[QUOTE="Idontremember"]

When I buy a game new on Steam and still end up with more money in my pocket than someone who bought a console disk and then resold it at a horrible price at gamestop, I have nothing to complain about.

Sure at launch they are pretty much the same price new, but I know I'm not an impatient child and can wait a month or two and get a kickass deal on the game. 
Even much later, when consolite buy an expensive scratched disk at their gaming store, I'll have a nice clean download for 5$ on Steam. 

Sali217

If I can beat a retail game in 3 or 4 days I can sell it on ebay for nearly what I paid for it.

not worth the effort

Sali217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#317 Sali217
Member since 2012 • 1301 Posts

[QUOTE="Sali217"][QUOTE="Idontremember"]

lostrib

not worth the effort

Depends on the game, for example I'm one of those weird people who likes CoD's single player campaign's but am not into the multiplayer.