Steam is a Worse DRM Than Xbone

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kingfire11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 kingfire11
Member since 2005 • 1498 Posts

On Steam:

1) You have to be connected to the internet to activate any new games, even the ones you bought from retail.

2) Constantly gets greeted by annoying pop-up when you launch the client.

3) NO USED GAMES AT ALL! You can't legally sell your games under their EULA.

4) No game sharing beside giving your account to somebody else.

5) Offline mode is really spotty and can get very buggy at some times.

6) You can't get unbanned from VAC if your account was hacked and the hacker used cheats on VAC servers. You have to re-buy all these games.

7) System was forced on the consumers on 2004 specially with the release of HL2. Many copies of that game required Steam to function when Steam was really buggy and crappy. This is the definition of anti-consumer right there.

On Xbone:

1) Connect at least once every 24, which sucks.

2) Used games will still exist, but the market will be more controlled.

3) Sharing will be available (up to 10 family members).

4) Loaning the games or giving away to friends will be avalible (not on launch).

So why does Gamespot posters defend the POS that is STEAM in arms? If people are really agains the POS that is DRM and the Xbone then perhaps they need to stick to their principles and fight big Gabe Newell too since his policies are even worse regarding used games. No wonder his ass is getting kicked by EU courts where this crap can't pass there.

I get that people enjoy the savings, but would those people support the xbone if prices were cheaper? Are people really okay with crappy DRM if they are saving a few bucks even if the DRM is anti-consumer? Are gamers simply addicted and can't stop gaming no matter how bad the treatment they get is?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts
PC > PS4
kingfire11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 kingfire11
Have you even read what I wrote?
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

No...because:

You can play offline whenever you want.

You can lend your account to all your friends without first needing get permission.

Plenty of Steam games are actually DRM free.

pcgamingowns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 pcgamingowns
Member since 2013 • 1223 Posts

not all games are forced steam support there goes your argument.

kingfire11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 kingfire11

No...because:

You can lend your account to all your friends without first needing get permission.

AdrianWerner

You can't lend games on Steam as far as I know. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#7 Goyoshi12
Member since 2009 • 9687 Posts

Uh....yeah, no.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 AdrianWerner

[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]

No...because:

kingfire11

You can't lend games on Steam as far as I know. Please correct me if I am wrong.

You can lend account. Plus a lot of Steam games have no DRM.

kingfire11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 kingfire11

pcgamingowns
No. People still buy and support games that are Steam-exclusive. You remember the whole "no steam=no sale" thingy?
ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts

AdrianWerner
I was like what??? I'm going to take this as; Plenty of games found on Steam can be found else where DRM free.
kingfire11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 kingfire11

[QUOTE="kingfire11"]

[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]

No...because:

AdrianWerner

You can lend account. Plus a lot of Steam games have no DRM.

By "lend account" you mean giving your password to somebody so that person uses it for some time then I can only lol at this.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts

why would you want to game share when you can get like a x4 bundle for the price of 1 xboned game and then give 3 codes to friends.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Have you even read what I wrote?kingfire11
You bet. PC > PS4
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 AdrianWerner

[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]

ShadowDeathX

I was like what??? I'm going to take this as; Plenty of games found on Steam can be found else where DRM free.

No, I meant exactly what I wrote. It's common misconception that all Steam games have DRM. They do not. Devs can implement DRM if they want, but many won't. In such cases Steam acts solely as distribution platform. You can install the game through Steam, then go to Steamapps folder and copy the game to whatever machine you want and launch it without Steam.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ShadowDeathX
[QUOTE="pcgamingowns"]

kingfire11
No. People still buy and support games that are Steam-exclusive. You remember the whole "no steam=no sale" thingy?

This is one thing I hate. I remember I did on poll on the PC forums asking which would they prefer; a) NO DRM or b) Steamworks. More people choose Steamworks over NO DRM. Makes no sense but what can you do.
kingfire11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 kingfire11
why would you want to game share when you get can like a x4 bundle for the price of 1 xboned game and then give 3 codes to friends.campzor
So guess DRM and all that shit does not matter as long as the prices are good? You basically accept to have your rights taken away just because you are saving a few bucks? You can't sell what you have. Hell, even the EU courts are not happy about that.
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 AdrianWerner

By "lend account" you mean giving your password to somebody so that person uses it for some time then I can only lol at this.

kingfire11

THat's far better than lending Xbox One will offer.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ShadowDeathX

[QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"][QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]

AdrianWerner

No, I meant exactly what I wrote. It's common misconception that all Steam games have DRM. They do not. Devs can implement DRM if they want, but many won't. In such cases Steam acts solely as distribution platform. You can install the game through Steam, then go to Steamapps folder and copy the game to whatever machine you want and launch it without Steam.

Oh that is true.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
[QUOTE="campzor"]why would you want to game share when you get can like a x4 bundle for the price of 1 xboned game and then give 3 codes to friends.kingfire11
So guess DRM and all that shit does not matter as long as the prices are good? You basically accept to have your rights taken away just because you are saving a few bucks? You can't sell what you have. Hell, even the EU courts are not happy about that.

PC games are so cheap that you don't need to sell them. DRM is fine with PC. PCs aren't meant for you to lug around and play. PCs are stationary gaming/entertainment systems.
TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TheFadeForever
Member since 2013 • 2655 Posts

most games on steam don't have drm

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

Is it bad drm? yes.

Is it as bad as xbox dOne? nope.

kingfire11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 kingfire11

[QUOTE="kingfire11"]

AdrianWerner

THat's far better than lending Xbox One will offer.

What you outlined as "lending" is actually illegal under Steam's EULA since you are not supposed to share your account with anybody, so here goes your argument. Although Xbone's lending system is horrible, it at least will exist, unlike Valve's Steam.
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

On Steam:

1) You have to be connected to the internet to activate any new games, even the ones you bought from retail.

2) Constantly gets greeted by annoying pop-up when you launch the client.

3) NO USED GAMES AT ALL! You can't legally sell your games under their EULA.

5) Offline mode is really spotty and can get very buggy at some times.

6) You can't get unbanned from VAC if your account was hacked and the hacker used cheats on VAC servers. You have to re-buy all these games.

7) System was forced on the consumers on 2004 specially with the release of HL2. Many copies of that game required Steam to function when Steam was really buggy and crappy. This is the definition of anti-consumer right there.

kingfire11

1. Connect once and never have to activate again.

2. So turn them off.

3. Games are so damn cheap that no one cares. In fact that's why no one seems to mind any negatives that come with Steam or other DD platforms.

5. Offline mode works perfectly fine.

6. Steam's support does suck. This is known.

7. Brand new, digital platform has issues at launch. What's so anti-consumer about that?

Plus a lot of Steam games have no DRM.

AdrianWerner

Because those games can be gotten elsewhere. They aren't Steam(works) games.

nyzma23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 nyzma23
Member since 2013 • 1003 Posts

On Steam:

kingfire11

you can't share or give your account so somebody else if they found out you will be ban ,it's on eula basicaly you have right to use it not own it

http://store.steampowered.com/subscriber_agreement/

kingfire11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 kingfire11
[QUOTE="kingfire11"][QUOTE="campzor"]why would you want to game share when you get can like a x4 bundle for the price of 1 xboned game and then give 3 codes to friends.PonchoTaco

PC games are so cheap that you don't need to sell them. DRM is fine with PC. PCs aren't meant for you to lug around and play. PCs are stationary gaming/entertainment systems.

DVD movies are cheap too yet the used market still exists and shit will blow out if movie studios try to kill it. Gaming is changing. Many people are gaming on touch screens and laptops nowadays so the ability to sell your games is important. Also, consoles by nature are stationary devices too!
Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Eddie-Vedder
Member since 2003 • 7810 Posts

Along with what everyone has said, people buy new games on steam for absurdly cheap, like legit recent games for a few dollars. The sales are insane and frequent, PLUS Steam isn't a monopoly, the PC has plenty of competition, digital and retail. You have tons of options.

Xbone is one closed off fascist DRM prison with no options, no choices. 

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

yeah but that is countered by competitively (cheap) priced games due to competition between multiple DD retailers

kingfire11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 kingfire11

yeah but that is countered by competitively (cheap) priced games due to competition between multiple DD retailers

lostrib

So I guess people are okay with intrusive DRM if the prices are low?

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
1. Are you telling me your PC isn't connected to internet always? PC and other devices are very different in terms of always-on internet. And you can play offline all you want as long as it has been updated. 2. I don't get pop ups 3. The new games on Steam sale are a lot cheaper than buying used console games. 4. I don't lend games to people anyway. 5. I've not had a single problem with offline mode ever yet. 6. The first time I'm hearing this 7. That's 9 years ago. They fixed. you know what MS did a decade ago? Charged for online multiplayer. Did they change it? Fvck no.
Avatar image for ShoulderOfOrion
ShoulderOfOrion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ShoulderOfOrion
Member since 2013 • 3379 Posts
Pretty much the only argument people seem to have for why they adore Steam but shit on Xbox One is "teh deals." And that's a very flimsy argument.
TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 TheFadeForever
Member since 2013 • 2655 Posts

Games on steam are cheap especially when they are on sales you can go to places like cdkeyhouse and buy keys for the game to activate on steam for a pretty low price especially when for new release.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
[QUOTE="kingfire11"][QUOTE="PonchoTaco"][QUOTE="kingfire11"] So guess DRM and all that shit does not matter as long as the prices are good? You basically accept to have your rights taken away just because you are saving a few bucks? You can't sell what you have. Hell, even the EU courts are not happy about that.

DVD movies are cheap too yet the used market still exists and shit will blow out if movie studios try to kill it. Gaming is changing. Many people are gaming on touch screens and laptops nowadays so the ability to sell your games is important. Also, consoles by nature are stationary devices too!

I can think of many times when I would bring my console to someone's house to play. I would not do that with my PC. PC is a stationary device. If you had to bring your PC with you to play games, why would you go somewhere that didn't have internet?
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

kingfire11

So I guess people are okay with intrusive DRM if the prices are low?

it's not overly intrusive, and yes. as long as not AO

kingfire11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 kingfire11

Pretty much the only argument people seem to have for why they adore Steam but shit on Xbox One is "teh deals." And that's a very flimsy argument. ShoulderOfOrion
Exactly. It is like people can easily leave their principles behind if the price is right. It is like that banker who is very vocal about ethics in the workplace yet he would accept a 10m dollar bribe because 'thatz alot of moni'. Stick to your principles people or simply abandon them.

gamerdude970

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 gamerdude970
Member since 2009 • 367 Posts

you dont own your games with steam if steam shutsdown all of your games are gone.

kingfire11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 kingfire11
[QUOTE="PonchoTaco"][QUOTE="kingfire11"][QUOTE="PonchoTaco"] PC games are so cheap that you don't need to sell them. DRM is fine with PC. PCs aren't meant for you to lug around and play. PCs are stationary gaming/entertainment systems.

I can think of many times when I would bring my console to someone's house to play. I would not do that with my PC. PC is a stationary device. If you had to bring your PC with you to play games, why would you go somewhere that didn't have internet?

Ever heard of Gaming laptops? You know Steam runs on those too.
Sharpie125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#37 Sharpie125
Member since 2005 • 3904 Posts

PC games are so cheap that you don't need to sell them. DRM is fine with PC. PCs aren't meant for you to lug around and play. PCs are stationary gaming/entertainment systems.PonchoTaco

So much this. If we want our friends playing games, we'll gift it to them.

Having your games readily available and always tied to your account is a major boon, not the other way around. If XBL wasn't a paid service, I would applaud their ownership policy and actually buy the Xbox. 

And just fyi, you can turn off that popup when you start up Steam/exit a game. Some people find it helpful, but I don't. Haven't seen it in years.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

when M$ sell cheap games like steam you can talk

Plus i don-t need to be online to play them

Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Eddie-Vedder
[QUOTE="ShoulderOfOrion"]Pretty much the only argument people seem to have for why they adore Steam but shit on Xbox One is "teh deals." And that's a very flimsy argument. kingfire11
Exactly. It is like people can be easily leave their principles behind if the price is right. It is like that banker who is very vocal about ethics in the workplace yet he would accept a 10m dollar bribe because 'thatz alot of moni'. Stick to your principles people or simply abandon them.

You kids are pretty ignorant. Who cares if you can't sell or buy used when you can buy games new for 2$. It has nothing to do with morals, it's value and worth. Console games are absurdly expensive and have a shorter longevity in general.
kingfire11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 kingfire11

[QUOTE="PonchoTaco"]PC games are so cheap that you don't need to sell them. DRM is fine with PC. PCs aren't meant for you to lug around and play. PCs are stationary gaming/entertainment systems.Sharpie125

So much this. If we want our friends playing games, we'll gift it to them.

Having your games readily available and always tied to your account is a major boon, not the other way around. If XBL wasn't a paid service, I would applaud their ownership policy and actually buy the Xbox. 

And just fyi, you can turn off that popup when you start up Steam/exit a game. Some people find it helpful, but I don't. Haven't seen it in years.

And I have no problem with your views. My problem is with those hypocrites who scream against the Xbone for its DRM policies yet form kissing parties on Newell's giant ass even though Steam DRM is even worse (no used games at all, no lending at all).
ShoulderOfOrion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ShoulderOfOrion
[QUOTE="Eddie-Vedder"] Who cares if you can't sell or buy used when you can buy games new for 2$.

Are you drunk? When could you ever buy any brand new game for $2 on Steam?
Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Eddie-Vedder

Krelian-co
Nor do you need to use steam, these ignorant lems don't seem to understand, steam is a popular option because it's SOOO cheap and has so many cool features, you don't even need to buy off steam and you can still add your games to steam. And again slowly, even buying from steam, not all games have DRM, honestly most don't.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
[QUOTE="ShoulderOfOrion"][QUOTE="Eddie-Vedder"] Who cares if you can't sell or buy used when you can buy games new for 2$.

He didn't say buy brand new games. He said buy games new.
Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Eddie-Vedder
[QUOTE="ShoulderOfOrion"][QUOTE="Eddie-Vedder"] Who cares if you can't sell or buy used when you can buy games new for 2$.

I bought both Left4 Deads for 2 bucks, I bought the company of heroes pack for 2 bucks, I've bought indie packs with games like super meat boy, world of goo, plants vs zombies, alan wake etc for under 50cents. You really need too look at steam sales.
kingfire11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 kingfire11
[QUOTE="PonchoTaco"][QUOTE="ShoulderOfOrion"][QUOTE="Eddie-Vedder"] Who cares if you can't sell or buy used when you can buy games new for 2$.

He can also buy used on Steam and save even more at an earlier time!....oh wait...
ShoulderOfOrion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ShoulderOfOrion
[QUOTE="PonchoTaco"][QUOTE="ShoulderOfOrion"][QUOTE="Eddie-Vedder"] Who cares if you can't sell or buy used when you can buy games new for 2$.

oh i read that wrong. but what if i don't want to wait years to play a game?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
[QUOTE="kingfire11"][QUOTE="PonchoTaco"][QUOTE="ShoulderOfOrion"] Are you drunk? When could you ever buy any brand new game for $2 on Steam?

He can also buy used on Steam and save even more at an earlier time!....oh wait...

Or he could buy that new $60 PS3 game for $40-$50 on release day for PC.
kingfire11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 kingfire11
[QUOTE="Krelian-co"]

Eddie-Vedder
Nor do you need to use steam, these ignorant lems don't seem to understand, steam is a popular option because it's SOOO cheap and has so many cool features, you don't even need to buy off steam and you can still add your games to steam. And again slowly, even buying from steam, not all games have DRM, honestly most don't.

I agree that the prices are very attractive. But please look around you. People are completely against the DRM that MS is introducing and those consumers are not even bringing the price argument into the equation. So far i haven't seen any media outlet or popular forums say, "hey if we get teh dealz then its cool." Everybody is against it because it is "anti-consumer." I can see your point and I hope you can see mine. Personally, I don't give a shit either. I go where my wallet is most comfortable, but again I don't argue against the Xbone for ethical reasons and then go praise the mighty ass of Gabe Newell
I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts
lol no.
tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts
Steam is a big DRM, but to me it makes up for it in 2 big ways: -You can play your games offline, I've had ZERO issues with it. -Its sales are ridiculous. Good luck getting games 75% off before the year mark on the X1.