Starwars Battleflop... are we surprised?

• 99 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RedentSC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 RedentSC
Member since 2013 • 1243 Posts

IMO it was just PvZ Garden Warfare reskinned anyway but i know a few people whose gaming opinions i respect, yet still adore this game thus far.

Not being a star wars fan i'm not bothered really but i'm curious about the consensus of SW (if there is such a thing), is a 7 what we were expecting? and i missing out on something amazing?

Lastly, if you have made this purchase, can you put a rough date on when you think you'll be bored of it? I'm expecting it to have died off completely come the new year

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44021 Posts

Thankfully the Star Wars name alone wasn't enough to achieve AAA status is my take on the game.

TBH tho, eh, what do I know, I haven't played it. :P

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34558 Posts

It's exactly what I was expecting. Voted a 7 in the hype thread.

Can't answer your last question as I'm not getting the game, since all signs point to the game being boring.

RedentSC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 RedentSC

well during the beta the game felt solid, but repetitive and dull. its almost like they spent so much time fixing frostbite's netcode issues that they forgot to actually build content

lastcoin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lastcoin
Member since 2015 • 248 Posts

Game is awesome and fun!it is only sad they have left so much behind the DLC...

Desprado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Desprado
Member since 2015 • 60 Posts

Dice has lost their touch since Battlefiled hardline.Another terrible game from them.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

Anything dice I try to avoid

RedentSC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 RedentSC
@desprado said:

Dice has lost their touch since Battlefiled hardline.Another terrible game from them.

erm i'd agree if Hardline weren't created by DICE LA .. old Visceral Games and not DICE Stockholm. I'm still holding out hope for DICE to be honest. this game feels like a filler, something to tie them over while Team 3 at DICE work on their next engine (whatever that will be)

So have faith my friend, we haven't hurt from "DICE" since BF4

chriscoolguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By chriscoolguy
Member since 2011 • 729 Posts

I really like it a lot. I love the multi player feel in BF4, and this feels like it but maybe better. IMO it's better than black ops 3, not a fan of running on walls and doing super jumps. I also like having vehicles.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58830 Posts

Sadly, EA see starwars as a large meal ticket and little else.

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#12 Flyincloud1116
Member since 2014 • 6418 Posts

Let's wait and see what the sales are like.

Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Ross_the_Boss6
Member since 2009 • 4056 Posts

7 is a good score, and I suspect the game will have a solid user base for awhile.

It's not for me though.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12139 Posts

I am honestly glad reviewers are not buckling to hype. If only Pandemic was still around.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

@lastcoin said:

Game is awesome and fun!it is only sad they have left so much behind the DLC...

This. Even the lack of content is overblown a bit. It has what, like 9 different modes? At least the first DLC is free - but I agree they likely left too much out in favor of DLC. The quality is there, and I'm loving it so far. But the content is light if we compare to a main Battlefield game. Especially with the lack of a story mode...

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

I wish it had a SP and more features out of the box.

I will say the visuals, music, and sound effects are phenomenal. Those star wars sound effects send all my neurons firing. The nostalgia hits me hard and it's hard not to get into all the footage I've seen.

Good thing I don't own a new gen twin and thus the temptation to put money into this bare bones release is non existent.

PraetorianMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 PraetorianMan
Member since 2011 • 2073 Posts

Too lacking in features. The PVZ Garden Warfare comparision is... more suitable than it should be. I'm actually more excited for PVZ GW2 than I was for this.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b0367b217732
deactivated-5b0367b217732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 9

#18 deactivated-5b0367b217732
Member since 2014 • 1697 Posts

They actually managed to make a game that's even less fun than Hardline. They deserve recognition for that alone.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@hernandezzzz said:

They actually managed to make a game that's even less fun than Hardline. They deserve recognition for that alone.

It's not the same fucking people.....

Avatar image for deactivated-5b0367b217732
deactivated-5b0367b217732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By deactivated-5b0367b217732
Member since 2014 • 1697 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:
@hernandezzzz said:

It's not the same fucking people.....

People say it's a Battlefield clone, well it's not. It's far worse than Battlefield.

And somehow even worse than Hardline.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60702 Posts

7 is a good score and I'm still going to play it.

UltimateImp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#22 UltimateImp
Member since 2015 • 1192 Posts

No, I'm not surprised that this is a simple cash in of the upcoming movie's hype, but I can't say I'm not disappointed that it was just that.

Xaero_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Xaero_Gravity
Member since 2011 • 9856 Posts

The game's a lot of damn fun to me, but it's really lacking on content. Hopefully the DLC ends up being as substantial as the Battlefield DLC and people can then pick up the complete package sometime next year. In the meantime, I'll be drowning in nostalgia with the sound design. XD

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#24  Edited By Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

Not surprised based on my time with the beta, it is a fun game just nothing incredible.....If I was a huge Star Wars fan I would buy it, but it's not really my thing I'm more into Star Trek :)

What is interesting is how much better received the often-bashed Titanfall was.....despite also lacking a real campaign. I guess TitanFall felt more fresh with its parlour mechanics, so overall it makes sense to me.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#25  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

I'm not sure why people thought it was going to score higher than it did. They had 2 years to build the game from scratch and get it out in time for the movie. That's just not enough time anymore to deep dive into all of the mechanics.

It's also a Star Wars shooter, it was never going to be as "hardcore" as other shooters. The fanbase is much more casual. Battlefront 1 and 2 were the same. The shooting and basic mechanics in those games was extremely shallow.

To the people saying they "left out" content for the DLC, I advise you go follow some of the Community Map Project for Battlefield 4 to see how long it takes to make a map to the standards we have today. Maps today aren't 500 polygons and 10 textures that can be whipped up in an easy editor like the old Half-Life 1 days. They take a lot of time and effort to build properly. The only DLC content they "left out" was the stuff that is supposed to launch along side of the movie, and that's coming for free for everybody.

DICE doesn't withhold content for the launch. They've always assigned a smaller team to make DLC post launch while the rest of the staff moves onto another game (which is this case is probably a split of Mirror's Edge 2 and Battlefront's sequel). This is why we got some really awesome DLC for Battlefield Bad Company 2 (the Vietnam DLC), and tons of good maps for BF3 and BF4 that brought with them a lot of unique gameplay. It doesn't seem like a lot of people here actually played a lot of BF3 and BF4 to know how the DLC worked for those games.

This whole "thin" launch is simply a product of having roughly 2 years to make the game. We saw what happened with Battlefield 3 and Battlefield 4 when DICE tried to stretch themselves too far over that 2 year period. The single player component in both games stunk and the multiplayer had tons of issues, especially BF4. So they did their best with what they did.

If you don't feel like it's worth $60 then don't buy it, just don't be ignorant gamers and assume they are withholding content.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

There is no single player campaign, it deserves to flop. An awesome FPS single player campaign set in the star wars universe? What could have been...

dante1972

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 dante1972
Member since 2004 • 934 Posts

Still going to buy it. I hated Witcher 3. Different strokes for different fokes.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

@Heil68 said:

7 is a good score and I'm still going to play it.

This

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#30 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

I might pick it up in the manner that I picked up BF4. Well after release, well after I can buy the game with all the DLC at a price cheaper than 60 bucks. The beta presented a game that was fun, but shallow, and with the game lacking in so much content I wasn't really feeling ponying up for a game that hardly felt special.

dante1972

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 dante1972
Member since 2004 • 934 Posts

This game will also probably improve over time. I still play battlefield 2 years after release (and enjoy it). I am sure that if the game is a 7 today and was reviewed a year from now it would probably score an 8. to 8.5

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#32 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Saw this coming from a mile away, especially after Battlefield 4's broken launch, Sim City's fiasco, Hardline, NFS and other stuff that EA released in recent times.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

@sts106mat said:

@misterpmedia: LOL

Journey, 2 hours, no singleplayer = GOTY

Sometimes I wonder if you love getting owned lol

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

The problem is that some people care what others think too much. For one, I couldn't care less that there isn't a single player campaign. I never played Battfront games for it. It was always to play with my friends and have a good time. Some say it's boring, which blows my hair back. Have you played Walker Assault? There is so much going on...I can't imagine how someone could say its boring, unless they haven't played the game. I can't argue against the lack of content. I want space battles.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56026 Posts

Battlefront was worth my money when I got it on PC and i have no issue what the game had to offer and nothing more.

leandrro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#36 leandrro
Member since 2007 • 1644 Posts

@RedentSC said:

IMO it was just PvZ Garden Warfare reskinned anyway but i know a few people whose gaming opinions i respect, yet still adore this game thus far.

Not being a star wars fan i'm not bothered really but i'm curious about the consensus of SW (if there is such a thing), is a 7 what we were expecting? and i missing out on something amazing?

Lastly, if you have made this purchase, can you put a rough date on when you think you'll be bored of it? I'm expecting it to have died off completely come the new year

i remember when all the internet loved modern warfare 3, and people called me crazy for saying battlefield bad company 2 was better, bfbc2 got an score of 8, still today almost 6 years later i can turn bfbc2 and have a epic battle on a lot of full servers

people also say the same about bf hardline, i think the game is very fun and full price for 300+ hours of gameplay is worth it

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

I played there beta, had a lot of fun, I know the game is shallow and lacks a lot of things ( like single player campaign ), still purchasable but ...... not right now, I cancelled my preorder and purchased the Halo 5 controller instead, will purchase the game in the future when it drops in price pretty much like I did with Titanfall.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#38 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9726 Posts

No, we are not.

leandrro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#39 leandrro
Member since 2007 • 1644 Posts

its hard not to think that review scores these days are driven by fanboylism

if bethesda release a ugly bugged game that everyone is preordering and desperatetly waiting for it gets a 9

if ubi$oft release another annualised crap with downgraded visuals from unity for the pleasure of millions of fanboys it gets a 9

if a game is released excluvely for a console and fanboys are desperate to justify their investiment tan it gets a 9,

they want to convince me that battlefront has less to offer than this crap source engine game, in wich every game mode feels the same and all the maps feels the same, with little progression and no vehicles, no multiplayer, no co-op http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/titanfall-review/1900-6415690/

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

How did the reviews work for this game? Did reviewers just play single player and co-op? Or did they include the exp from the Beta and hop online for a few hours after release and post a review?

lastcoin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By lastcoin
@Wasdie said:

I'm not sure why people thought it was going to score higher than it did. They had 2 years to build the game from scratch and get it out in time for the movie. That's just not enough time anymore to deep dive into all of the mechanics.

It's also a Star Wars shooter, it was never going to be as "hardcore" as other shooters. The fanbase is much more casual. Battlefront 1 and 2 were the same. The shooting and basic mechanics in those games was extremely shallow.

To the people saying they "left out" content for the DLC, I advise you go follow some of the Community Map Project for Battlefield 4 to see how long it takes to make a map to the standards we have today. Maps today aren't 500 polygons and 10 textures that can be whipped up in an easy editor like the old Half-Life 1 days. They take a lot of time and effort to build properly. The only DLC content they "left out" was the stuff that is supposed to launch along side of the movie, and that's coming for free for everybody.

DICE doesn't withhold content for the launch. They've always assigned a smaller team to make DLC post launch while the rest of the staff moves onto another game (which is this case is probably a split of Mirror's Edge 2 and Battlefront's sequel). This is why we got some really awesome DLC for Battlefield Bad Company 2 (the Vietnam DLC), and tons of good maps for BF3 and BF4 that brought with them a lot of unique gameplay. It doesn't seem like a lot of people here actually played a lot of BF3 and BF4 to know how the DLC worked for those games.

This whole "thin" launch is simply a product of having roughly 2 years to make the game. We saw what happened with Battlefield 3 and Battlefield 4 when DICE tried to stretch themselves too far over that 2 year period. The single player component in both games stunk and the multiplayer had tons of issues, especially BF4. So they did their best with what they did.

If you don't feel like it's worth $60 then don't buy it, just don't be ignorant gamers and assume they are withholding content.

Sadly only the "Battle of Jakku" will be free next week,which took place 1 year after the Return of jedi and 30 years before the new movie.

I doubt we will see anything from the film.

I beg we'll need to pay for the cool stuff from the new movie again(?).

Unless the movie flop...

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@leandrro said:

if bethesda release a ugly bugged game that everyone is preordering and desperatetly waiting for it gets a 9

if ubi$oft release another annualised crap with downgraded visuals from unity for the pleasure of millions of fanboys it gets a 9

if a game is released excluvely for a console and fanboys are desperate to justify their investiment tan it gets a 9,

they want to convince me that battlefront has less to offer than this crap source engine game, in wich every game mode feels the same and all the maps feels the same, with little progression and no vehicles, no multiplayer, no co-op http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/titanfall-review/1900-6415690/

Titanfalls core gameplay is far better than battlefronts... it was actually very well designed.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts
@leandrro said:

Yeah I agree... If this wasn't Star Wars, it'd definitely have scored lower.

It's just another MP-only game like Evolve and Titanfall, that will die off after 6 months (although it will probably last a bit longer because it's Star Wars, and everyone loses their sh** over Star Wars).

Avatar image for deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
deactivated-58abb194ab6fb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
Member since 2010 • 3984 Posts

People in here just don't know the meaning of the word flop. In no way will Star Wars be a flop, it's estimated to be one of the highest grossing games this year, the game is getting good to great scores, the game play is smooth and the graphics are beautiful so for anything to think this game will be a flop is just dumb.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#46  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17792 Posts

The game is a rushed cash grab. Thankfully it is not broken, but that is because they didn't want to repeat the same mistake as BF4. So, they had to scale back the scope of the game to ensure they could deliver a certain quality. They made the right decision based on the deadline, but the game itself is not that good and lacks depth and features. Is there fun to be had? Yes, but it is nowhere near as good as BF4.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

What is there to be surprised about?

360ru13r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48 360ru13r
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts

Well in all honesty a 7 isn't bad. That means there is joy to be found but yeah I'm not surprised. Saw a little footage of the game and nothing excited me about it. Not having a single player experience didn't help the game's cause either.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#49  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44539 Posts

I'm sure EA will be laughing themselves to the bank on this...

hahaha, they said it was a "flop", hahaha, but they're buying it just like tickets are selling for Star Wars Episode VII, what a riot, they're all like "I won't get that $50 DLC'" but they DO, hahaha, then they're going to vote us most evil company in the world again but they still buy our games, even the people on YouTube who are like "vote with your wallet" are buying it and doing Twitch stream, bwahahaha

Let's face it, this whole anti-EA act is beginning to feel a bit futile, like...

Loading Video...

lastcoin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By lastcoin

@BassMan said:

The game is a rushed cash grab. Thankfully it is not broken, but that is because they didn't want to repeat the same mistake as BF4. So, they had to scale back the scope of the game to ensure they could deliver a certain quality. They made the right decision based on the deadline, but the game itself is not that good and lacks depth and features. Is there fun to be had? Yes, but it is nowhere near as good as BF4.

I thought BF4 is just a update for BF3,nd get bored real quick?

TBH I think SWBF is a fun game to play,even on par with BF3.....but hate 'em cause they cut more for DLC than BF3....