onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5272 Posts

This is to let everyone know that GameSpot has posted its review of Star Fox 2 and gave it a 5/10.

Link

It should be known that this game will not affect the overall quality of the SNES Classic System.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3231 Posts

IGN also gave it a 5 as well. Can't say I'm surprised.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#3 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69998 Posts

SNES Classic is a waste of silicon as this and all of the games for the system proves. But Nintendo drones will be drones. They will buy new OLD hardware to play old games even if the identical experience can be had with existing hardware. Why bother consolidating your games onto one system when you can have your games randomly spread across a variety of useless hardware?

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#4 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

I mean, judging by modern standards most of the games would get low scores.

NoRemorse13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 NoRemorse13
Member since 2003 • 3476 Posts

ok

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44348 Posts

Not surprising as this sounded like it really wasn't that good of a game. Thankfully this was pretty far from being a big reason as to why I picked up a SNES Classic. Star Fox 2 was a curiosity for me, nothing more. I was far more interested in the other fantastic games that were included on the system even though I played them all before.

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FLOPPAGE_50
Member since 2004 • 4500 Posts

So buying the SNES classic is pointless over the actual SNES/emulators?

I keep reading that the reason people want this so bad is because of the finished SF2 game.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#8  Edited By iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4580 Posts

I was just at the Nintendo store in Times square and the amount of people in line was astounding. This guy was heckling them saying "you people are waiting in line to buy a miniature box to play emulated 25 year old games that can be played on a Wii and Wii U. I'm a Nintendo fan, but he had me cracking up.

Was anyone expecting SF2 to get a good score?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46486 Posts

Well yeah, if the game can't be played than of course it deserves no more, I'd argue it deserves less.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Isn't it technically an incomplete game?

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

Was playing on the SNES Mini today. It's a decent piece of kit but if you don't have any nostalgia there's little point to it. I'm glad I didn't buy one. I mean don't get me wrong, there isn't a bad game on it and they are mostly all time classics (Castlevania IV being the best game on it for me) but let's be honest, it's way overpriced.

That being said. I think Star Fox is one of the worst games on it. It hasn't aged well at all. 2D games age so much better, but what was groundbreaking in the past now looks archaic when it comes to 3D. It isn't unplayable, but I would have included a couple of different games instead of this.

I suppose it comes down to whether the box is purely for nostalgia or not.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

Isn't it technically an incomplete game?

I thought Nintendo issued a complete game. I think the rom versions were incomplete and modders over time completed it in a way that differs from what's in the SNES Classic.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#13 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41562 Posts

After so many cries for the game to be released either in cart form or VC, this happens. lol I called it.

resevl4rlz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 resevl4rlz
Member since 2005 • 3848 Posts

they rated the game has it was in 2017 not rate it for the time in 199x

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By sHaDyCuBe321
Member since 2003 • 5769 Posts

Yeah the game is ass. The worst games in the system are SF and SF2

Btw the amount of salt in this thread is hilarious. It’s a toy that’s meant to play to nostalgia, nothing more nothing less.

Why do people keep talking about emulation as if it’s not an illegal option. In order to legally emulate these games you would need to own said games. Last time I checked Earthbound and Super Mario RPG are not only hard to find, but are expensive as shit.

Maybe you’re just mad you didn’t get one?

AfterShafter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 AfterShafter
Member since 2002 • 7175 Posts

@KungfuKitten said:

I mean, judging by modern standards most of the games would get low scores.

One would think so but it isn't always the case. The re-release of a lot of the Zelda games a while back got rave reviews when, frankly, most of them were absolute trash by any pretense of objective standards of graphics, or "what we've come to expect from modern games" and whatnot. It all comes down to nostalgia and what we're willing to let a game get away with... I go back and play Planescape: Torment and say "Best game ever - still" and I ignore blatant gameplay issues in the face of the most sophisticated story I've ever seen told in a video game - but I don't pretend like I'm some sort of authority on how good games are, just an old fart of gaming. People do the same thing with their favourite games from the past all the time, as we drool at the prospect of a new Megaman in the classic style or a re-release of Street Fighter II and whatnot. Heck, some people even pine over MUD style games in one breath while bashing games that came a decade later because they lack what we've come to expect from contemporary games, as if there were some absolute standard of advancement in gaming that all games are held to. Unfortunately, some of those people become reviewers for big sites and suddenly what they say is perceived as authoritative.

I don't know how good Star Fox 2 is, but something tells me that a lot of re-releases, re-masters, and collections do not get held to the standard that says that the "enjoyable moments are hamstrung by modern standards and expectations" very often. In this case, this one was.

djura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By djura
Member since 2016 • 542 Posts

@Pedro said:

SNES Classic is a waste of silicon as this and all of the games for the system proves. But Nintendo drones will be drones. They will buy new OLD hardware to play old games even if the identical experience can be had with existing hardware. Why bother consolidating your games onto one system when you can have your games randomly spread across a variety of useless hardware?

Well, for one thing, there's the quality of the emulation and getting an official controller to boot. I didn't really bother getting much in the way of Virtual Console games for Wii because of the lack of HD, and the emulation on the Wii U often seemed fairly poor.

You can go and get other solutions as well (Raspberry Pi), but these aren't really ideal either for a number of reasons (unless you really want to tinker with them). There are also a lot of crappy quality ROMs and emulators out there where compatibility and reliability can be very spotty.

So I think it just comes down to having really good emulation in HD all in one box that's just plug-and-play - and for a very reasonable price (certainly, I'd argue that SNES Classic is likely better value as a "bundle" than buying all these games separately on download services).

I'd like Nintendo to create a new/dedicated Virtual Console service where you purchase a game once and that's it and it lives across your devices via your account (like PSN or Xbox Live) - but at the moment, that isn't an option. So, something like SNES Classic makes a lot of sense, especially if you want a fairly authentic experience.

I do see a lot of debate about this stuff, but I think it boils down to "because I personally can't understand why a person would buy this product, then they must be making a bad decision" - when actually, no, we just have different tastes and reasons for buying certain products. Nothing wrong with that.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@Pedro said:

lmao

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19585 Posts

Strange - Eurogamer seemed to really love Star Fox 2. I guess they were comparing it to games of the SNES era rather than to modern gaming standards like Gamespot here.

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

Why do people keep talking about emulation as if it’s not an illegal option. In order to legally emulate these games you would need to own said games. Last time I checked Earthbound and Super Mario RPG are not only hard to find, but are expensive as shit.

Last time I checked, owning the games doesn't make a difference.

Whether you own the original game or not, It's a breach of copyright to make an unauthorised copy of the files. Downloading a ROM from the internet is obviously against the law - there's not even any grey area there, legally speaking.

The only way to legally emulate these games is to buy an authorised reproduction (Virtual Console, SNES Classic, etc.), or if you got consent from Nintendo/Square Enix/whoever (which they won't give...and even if they did, it would only be for personal use).

jorzorz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20 jorzorz
Member since 2017 • 114 Posts

the game was amazing for its time, now it sucks because being 3d is not impressive anymore. Back in the 90s early 3d games blew people away even if the game didnt play so well. I call it crysis syndrome, no matter how generic the game is, everyone is impressed by the visuals.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By KBFloYd

@jorzorz said:

the game was amazing for its time, now it sucks because being 3d is not impressive anymore. Back in the 90s early 3d games blew people away even if the game didnt play so well. I call it crysis syndrome, no matter how generic the game is, everyone is impressed by the visuals.

i think starfox on snes is better than starfox64. imo the dpad controls the arwing much better than the analog stick.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5014 Posts

How does it compare to star fox 1? is it really that bad?

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#23 Litchie  Online
Member since 2003 • 34698 Posts

Starfox 1 wasn't good either.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

The SNES collectors Edition is pretty sweet. I'm playing super metroid for the first time and enjoying it.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46486 Posts

@jorzorz said:

Crysis was generic ?

What other FPS games of the time offered huge open sandbox style levels ?

What other FPS games of the time gave you super powers ?

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

Even Star Fox 1 was only ever a "look at the '3D' graphics!" game. I found it a boring sloppy mess to play, even back then. 5/10 sounds generous for a semi finished sequel. Thankfully there's loads of actually brilliant games on SNES mini.

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

Flop, looks like SNEs classic is DOA

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

A unreleased game not scoring well? HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN!?!!?

My god people. Why do you think it was never released in the first place?

waahahah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By waahahah
Member since 2014 • 2462 Posts

@mojito1988 said:

A unreleased game not scoring well? HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN!?!!?

My god people. Why do you think it was never released in the first place?

isn't it released now? if it was bad then they shouldn't have done that.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 KBFloYd

i just played some...

um it is very different. it is played mostly in 1st person and the aiming is clunky.

it is more of a defense game and not an on rails 3rd person arial shooter.

leave it to nintendo to "innovate" and not do the same thing twice. look at zelda on nes. zelda 2 was completely different.