Star citizen(The new Freelancer)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Jebus213 (8717 posts) -
#2 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16609 posts) -

What the hell if Freelancer? I know it as the starting job in Final Fantasy III on the DS.

#3 Posted by Jebus213 (8717 posts) -

What the hell if Freelancer? I know it as the starting job in Final Fantasy III on the DS.

turtlethetaffer
Here you go idiot: http://bit.ly/QuP5s3
#4 Posted by IAmNot_fun (3336 posts) -
Freelancer is one of my fav games of all time but I dont think this one is open world. However, I would fvcking love to be wrong
#5 Posted by Jebus213 (8717 posts) -
[QUOTE="IAmNot_fun"]Freelancer is one of my fav games of all time but I dont think this one is open world. However, I would fvcking love to be wrong

You're wrong.
#6 Posted by AdrianWerner (27960 posts) -

It's more of a new Wing Commander/Privateer, than the dumbed down (even though I still loved it) Freelancer.

#7 Posted by IAmNot_fun (3336 posts) -
[QUOTE="Jebus213"][QUOTE="IAmNot_fun"]Freelancer is one of my fav games of all time but I dont think this one is open world. However, I would fvcking love to be wrong

You're wrong.

Then by his Lordship, I came
#8 Posted by mirgamer (1865 posts) -

It's more of a new Wing Commander/Privateer, than the dumbed down (even though I still loved it) Freelancer.

AdrianWerner
Its not, it is being touted as a open world game with new systems being discovered and added in over time. It does has a single player/co-op element gampaign called "Squadron 42" that is entirely optional.
#9 Posted by iamrob7 (2138 posts) -

Freelancer is my favourite space game of all time, really really hope this lives up to it. A new version with these kind of graphics would be awesome.

Did anyone see the detail on the ship in the presentation? Amazing.

#10 Posted by skrat_01 (33767 posts) -
It's looking like one of the most astounding games of recent memory, design wise in ambitions and the technicality of it. Which is pretty damn glorious.
#11 Posted by Twin-Blade (6795 posts) -

...Okay, I'm jelly. Might have to save for a rig.

#12 Posted by AdrianWerner (27960 posts) -

[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]

mirgamer

Its not, it is being touted as a open world game with new systems being discovered and added in over time. It does has a single player/co-op element gampaign called "Squadron 42" that is entirely optional.

I don't think you know what Privateer was :)

#13 Posted by pelvist (4580 posts) -

turtlethetaffer

Its probably one of the best games ever made, this is certainly true in the space sim genre, but if youre a console gamer whos never head of it then it sucks, obviously.

#14 Posted by Easyle (2034 posts) -
Wow, I posted this 3 days ago.
#15 Posted by slimjimbadboy (1729 posts) -

Wow, I posted this 3 days ago.Easyle

Yea you did and amazingly that thread died off fast :P

#16 Posted by NoodleFighter (6963 posts) -

It also runs on CryEngine 3 trolololol!

#17 Posted by glez13 (8583 posts) -

I don't see what Freelancer has to do with this. Freelancer is the Call of Duty of space sims. This apparently will be a serious space sim.

#18 Posted by Heil68 (43273 posts) -
Looks great, but I sill long for Freelancer2.
#19 Posted by The__Kraken (851 posts) -

Game looks nice. Last space sim game I've played was X2 (did not like it). Last space sim game I liked playing was Star Wars: Klingon Academy.

Hopefully you can pilot large ships, like dreadnoughts or something, instead of small and fast ships. I can't be the only one wanting to pilot a ship the size of the carrier in the trailer.

#20 Posted by Slow_Show (2153 posts) -

WAIT A F*CKING MINUTE she droped her keys yes????? then how the hell did she get in the BEAUTIFUL CORVETTE and drive away am i the only 1 that is like wtf????

[spoiler] As great as the game sounds, and as much as I love the idea of a new space sim, Star Citizen is at best vapourware and at worst a borderline scam. Even if the crowdfunding is hugely successful and works as bait for VCs, itstill won't have the funding to pull off that laundry list of proposed features.

If a top-tier dev like Blizzard or Valve said they were going to spend $100 million on a game like this I'd be skeptical, never mind a kinda-indie kinda-crowdfunded kinda-VC funded game from an unproven studio run by a guy who has been out of the industry for years. [/spoiler]

#21 Posted by Midnightshade29 (5254 posts) -
When does this come out? please don't tell me 2014...lol... I loved freelancer and privateer, xwing, and all the old original wing commander games. But freelancer and privateer were the best! I never tried their originator elite..where that style of space sim started. We really need space sims...why did this genre die when it was so popular in the 90s?
#22 Posted by halogreatest (110 posts) -
But really, who plays this kind of games?
#23 Posted by raskullibur (3390 posts) -
Dayum I love Freelancer on of my all time favorite game, feels like Sid Meier's Pirates but in space...
#24 Posted by lowe0 (13692 posts) -
console gamers am cryJebus213
The game looks great, but where do you people keep getting this idea that we're crying? I'm not sitting here sobbing because I won't get to play this.
#25 Posted by halogreatest (110 posts) -
[QUOTE="Jebus213"]console gamers am crylowe0
The game looks great, but where do you people keep getting this idea that we're crying? I'm not sitting here sobbing because I won't get to play this.

because of jelly replies like that, you make us console gamers look bad.
#26 Posted by OB-47 (10908 posts) -

So wait, the game will actually look that good :o

Jeez.

#27 Posted by parkurtommo (26132 posts) -

NoodleFighter
Really? That can't be good...
#28 Posted by lowe0 (13692 posts) -
[QUOTE="lowe0"][QUOTE="Jebus213"]console gamers am cryhalogreatest

For pete's sake, people, stop saying "jelly". It just sounds ignorant. While we're at it, might be time to ditch "butthurt" too.
#29 Posted by halogreatest (110 posts) -
[QUOTE="halogreatest"][QUOTE="lowe0"]The game looks great, but where do you people keep getting this idea that we're crying? I'm not sitting here sobbing because I won't get to play this.lowe0

For pete's sake, people, stop saying "jelly". It just sounds ignorant. While we're at it, might be time to ditch "butthurt" too.

It seems you happen to be both at the moment.
#30 Posted by Rocker6 (13358 posts) -

But really, who plays this kind of games?halogreatest

Is that jelly or butthurt?

Or both? :twisted:

#31 Posted by halogreatest (110 posts) -

[QUOTE="halogreatest"]But really, who plays this kind of games?Rocker6

Its mocking
#32 Posted by Easyle (2034 posts) -

[QUOTE="Easyle"]Wow, I posted this 3 days ago.slimjimbadboy

Yea you did and amazingly that thread died off fast :P

Not really, lasted a day and a half with 90 replies.
#33 Posted by NoodleFighter (6963 posts) -

[QUOTE="NoodleFighter"]

parkurtommo

Really? That can't be good...

Why do you think that?

#34 Posted by skrat_01 (33767 posts) -

[spoiler] As great as the game sounds, and as much as I love the idea of a new space sim, Star Citizen is at best vapourware and at worst a borderline scam. Even if the crowdfunding is hugely successful and works as bait for VCs, itstill won't have the funding to pull off that laundry list of proposed features.

If a top-tier dev like Blizzard or Valve said they were going to spend $100 million on a game like this I'd be skeptical, never mind a kinda-indie kinda-crowdfunded kinda-VC funded game from an unproven studio run by a guy who has been out of the industry for years. [/spoiler]

Slow_Show
Have you watched the GDC presentation? I'm guessing not.
#35 Posted by Lonelynight (30039 posts) -
Freelancer was pretty cool.
#36 Posted by Jebus213 (8717 posts) -
but where do you people keep getting this idea that we're crying? I'm not sitting here sobbing because I won't get to play this.lowe0
Are you really taking a meme serious? Are you really that stupid? "am cry"
#37 Posted by Heil68 (43273 posts) -

[QUOTE="halogreatest"]But really, who plays this kind of games?Rocker6

both, and it seems lowe0 caught a case of them too -_-
#38 Posted by MrYaotubo (2610 posts) -
[QUOTE="lowe0"]but where do you people keep getting this idea that we're crying? I'm not sitting here sobbing because I won't get to play this.Jebus213
Are you really that stupid?

Do you really have to ask that question when the answer is already so obvious?
#39 Posted by Jebus213 (8717 posts) -
[QUOTE="halogreatest"][QUOTE="lowe0"]The game looks great, but where do you people keep getting this idea that we're crying? I'm not sitting here sobbing because I won't get to play this.lowe0

u jelly?
#40 Posted by oddballrulez (1642 posts) -

There is no resistance in space - thus the rudders on the craft displayed in the demo could not possibly direct the craft due to lack of thrusters. Game debunked. Though seriously it looks awesome.

#41 Posted by lowe0 (13692 posts) -
[QUOTE="lowe0"]but where do you people keep getting this idea that we're crying? I'm not sitting here sobbing because I won't get to play this.Jebus213

Okay, so look at the underlying message of said meme. Do you have a significant amount of evidence that we're upset because we don't get to play PC exclusives?
#42 Posted by FrozenLiquid (12788 posts) -
.....:shock: tumblr_ls4ygczjbD1qlrzy2.gif
#43 Posted by Timstuff (26823 posts) -
I am definitely going to be a backer for this game. I wish I could afford one of the more ridiculous bundles that came with the game on a starship-shaped USB drive, but I will be happy with just getting to play the game early. It's going to be incredible, and Chris Roberts is one of the best PC game developers ever.
#44 Posted by clyde46 (44103 posts) -
If this is anything like X3 then I'm on board! I never got to play the original Freelancer
#45 Posted by Jebus213 (8717 posts) -
[QUOTE="Jebus213"][QUOTE="lowe0"]but where do you people keep getting this idea that we're crying? I'm not sitting here sobbing because I won't get to play this.lowe0

Okay, so look at the underlying message of said meme. Do you have a significant amount of evidence that we're upset because we don't get to play PC exclusives?

You know what, I'm going to let you figure it out. Not even going to respond to your next post. Your question is so incredibly stupid.
#46 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (15887 posts) -

There is no resistance in space - thus the rudders on the craft displayed in the demo could not possibly direct the craft due to lack of thrusters. Game debunked. Though seriously it looks awesome.

oddballrulez

In outer space, it's true enough. But, what about if the craft visits a planet with an atmosphere? I mean, c'mon. The control surfaces on the Space Shuttle don't work in the vacuum of space either.

#47 Posted by Slow_Show (2153 posts) -

Have you watched the GDC presentation? I'm guessing not.skrat_01

Nope. Can you give me the cliff's notes version?

#48 Posted by Timstuff (26823 posts) -
Looks great, but I sill long for Freelancer2.Heil68
Meh, Star Citizen looks better than Freelancer anyway. This game is the best of both worlds, since Freelancer 2 basically exists within the game if that's how you want to play.