Star Citizen new UI is the best ever seen

• 60 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ABtoxin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ABtoxin
Member since 2014 • 438 Posts

CIG teases us with a new UI that comes with the alpha 2.0 that is set to release soon. That one sexy UI.

TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By TheFadeForever
Member since 2013 • 2655 Posts

I wonder how much of their new tech will be implemented with the 2.0 version

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

All they do is tease

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@chikenfriedrice said:

All they do is tease

Really? Because they have a multi-feature game currently available for download on their main website.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I find it amazing that they had a couple staff members write up code for an entirely new operating system exclusive to the game world. That kind of detail you don't find anywhere else, past or present.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

I like the concept, seems would be very immersive having the camera focus in on the menu sections your tuning.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

managing your ship while in the middle of intense battles is gonna be awesome and satisfying.

waahahah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 waahahah
Member since 2014 • 2462 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

I find it amazing that they had a couple staff members write up code for an entirely new operating system exclusive to the game world. That kind of detail you don't find anywhere else, past or present.

I highly doubt they are running VM's for each ship. They wrote a lot of exclusive code for their game, and for their interface... it mechanically it looks similar to how elites interface works... and it looks clunky to work with.

rektmuhface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 rektmuhface
Member since 2015 • 455 Posts

looks too confusing. /willnotbuy

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#10 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58889 Posts

Disagree friend, DCS cockpits are probably the most detailed around.

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 sHaDyCuBe321
Member since 2003 • 5769 Posts

@rektmuhface said:

Don't know if serious, but I kind of agree. There comes a point when a game requires too much buy in and involvement to legitimately interest me. I'm sure some people will pour 1,000's of hours into this game, but I just cant see myself enjoying something like this.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

@sHaDyCuBe321: Just put that beast on auto pilot and make you a sandwich.

oflow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#13 oflow
Member since 2003 • 5185 Posts

I see a lot of rebuy costs in your future looking for dials while under fire lol

Gagomkd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#14 Gagomkd
Member since 2009 • 287 Posts

Looks interesting.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#15  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17801 Posts

I remember being impressed when Doom 3 let you interact within the screens. This takes it to another level. It certainly looks intimidating though. Seems a little bit too complicated. Just let me fly that bitch.

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#16 FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts

Is this going to be as lame to play as EVE Online?

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

It does look nice and easy to use.

CroidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 CroidX
Member since 2013 • 1561 Posts

@BassMan said:

I remember being impressed when Doom 3 let you interact within the screens. This takes it to another level. It certainly looks intimidating though. Seems a little bit too complicated. Just let me fly that bitch.

I think once you try it out it won't be as intimating

sovkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 sovkhan
Member since 2015 • 1591 Posts

Congrats then...

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

MENUS SO EXCITING!!!

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

The attention to detail in this game is insane.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:
@rektmuhface said:

Don't know if serious, but I kind of agree. There comes a point when a game requires too much buy in and involvement to legitimately interest me. I'm sure some people will pour 1,000's of hours into this game, but I just cant see myself enjoying something like this.

yeah, if you find that being too confusing, this game is propably not your cup of tea to begin with. having complex features is sort of what the fans want from this. they want to be really involved with everything.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60710 Posts

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:
@rektmuhface said:

It reminds me of the old Jane's Longbow PC games, where the manual to fly the copter was hundreds of pages.

HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 HAZE-Unit
Member since 2007 • 10564 Posts

Too much to tackle at once but I am sure it could be handled if players could handle the iDroid.

Its not the best UI ever btw.

Ice-Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25  Edited By Ice-Cube
Member since 2003 • 2434 Posts

Looks crazy complicated and very intimidating to use. It looks very stylish and smooth, but using it looks a bit daunting.

Still holding out on purchasing til there is "some" type of game to play. And no I don't want to just fly around for a bit or play a little simulation of killing pirates. Looks like i'll be heading to Elite Dangerous, with the new Horizons expansion coming out soon. That game is pretty close to the level of a space game I want to be playing.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

I think what's being forgotten here is a lot of this is being implemented for multi-crew stations on larger ships. You'll literally have a guy on shields another on engines and someone else on weapons and whatever other stations they come up with for ships with larger than 4 man crews.

With the single seat fighters most of the tuning will be done from key presses/joystick buttons adjusting pre-sets (as it is now), i.e. boosting front shields by 25% will reduce rear shields by 25%. You'll only need to go into the menus and screens if you want finer adjustment.

Avatar image for DarthaPerkinjan
DarthaPerkinjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 DarthaPerkinjan
Member since 2005 • 1318 Posts

I like No Man's sky's HUD better

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

@Ice-Cube said:

Looks crazy complicated and very intimidating to use. It looks very stylish and smooth, but using it looks a bit daunting.

Still holding out on purchasing til there is "some" type of game to play. And no I don't want to just fly around for a bit or play a little simulation of killing pirates. Looks like i'll be heading to Elite Dangerous, with the new Horizons expansion coming out soon. That game is pretty close to the level of a space game I want to be playing.

Arena Commander is a little bit more than that even now.

What Game Modes can I play?

Single-Player modes include:

- Arena Commander Tutorial

- Vanduul Swarm

- Free Flight

- Murray Cup Racing

Multiplayer modes include:

- Battle Royale

- Squadron Battle

- Capture the Core

- Vanduul Swarm Coop

- Murray Cup Racing

Source

The Baby/Mini PU or Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 is probably closer to what you're looking for, not the full game but it's where it'll all start to come together. With a bit of luck we'll have before the year is out.

Northernboxer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Northernboxer
Member since 2004 • 1723 Posts

An actual game with a learning curve beyond a five minute hand-holding tutorial. I guess I can't say I'm surprised console kids are whining about it being complicated.

Avatar image for deactivated-6079d224de716
deactivated-6079d224de716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-6079d224de716
Member since 2009 • 2567 Posts

Well, it's an evolution of UIs from Doom 3 so nothing new, just a bigger scale.

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 sHaDyCuBe321

@Northernboxer said:

An actual game with a learning curve beyond a five minute hand-holding tutorial. I guess I can't say I'm surprised console kids are whining about it being complicated.

It's actually the complete opposite.

For people who have careers, a marriage and kids, gaming is a hobby or an escape. Often times those people who have serious real world commitments have very little time to begin with. Given the time constraints it would make sense that those people would want a game that is easier to pick up and play. No one is asking for hand-holding. Some people are just saying that they would prefer a game that you don't need to take a class on to get the best experience possible.

So who's actually the kid? The person who gave a reason to back up his opinion, or the person who calls others kids without considering all the factors.

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 BobRossPerm
Member since 2015 • 2886 Posts

This is very ambitious. It could either go over as one of the greatest games ever made or completely shit the bed as an unbalanced, clunky mess. I'd like to see it play out, the Squadron 42 story, then the huge MMO mode and how the average player will go about playing it.

Northernboxer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Northernboxer

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:
@Northernboxer said:

For people who have careers, a marriage and kids, gaming is a hobby or an escape. Often times those people who have serious real world commitments have very little time to begin with. Given the time constraints it would make sense that those people would want a game that is easier to pick up and play. No one is asking for hand-holding. Some people are just saying that they would prefer a game that you don't need to take a class on to get the best experience possible.

So who's actually the kid? The person who gave a reason to back up his opinion, or the person who calls others kids without considering all the factors.

You're serious? You think this game is complicated enough that you may need to take a class on it? There are plenty of simple, shallow games that are marketed to people like you. I guess this isn't on of them.

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By sHaDyCuBe321

@Northernboxer said:
@sHaDyCuBe321 said:
@Northernboxer said:

You're serious? You think this game is complicated enough that you may need to take a class on it? There are plenty of simple, shallow games that are marketed to people like you. I guess this isn't on of them.

And some simple minded people like yourself clearly can't decipher between serious comments and hyperbolic statements, go figure.

Northernboxer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Northernboxer

@sHaDyCuBe321: I'm sorry you're hurt enough to throw insults, but you'll get over it. Hyperbolic or not, my point still stands. If you don't want a complicated game, don't buy this one. My op was praising the game for the fact that there aren't many like it these days, while there are plenty of games marketed to busy people like you.

If your hobby was reading, and you are very busy with family and career, would you only read short stories? The fact that you can only put an hour into your hobby per day, doesn't mean you need to dumb down the content.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#36 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

... And best sound effects too. Alpha 2.0 is right around the corner. Sq42 is coming next year. Can't wait.

ABtoxin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ABtoxin

@bobrossperm said:

This is very ambitious. It could either go over as one of the greatest games ever made or completely shit the bed as an unbalanced, clunky mess. I'd like to see it play out, the Squadron 42 story, then the huge MMO mode and how the average player will go about playing it.

Hard to believe it will end up clunky when so many people are testing the game with feedback.There also no set date for the game they can fix any issue as long as it takes. A game only ends up like that if its rushed but CIG isn't doing that.

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By BobRossPerm
Member since 2015 • 2886 Posts
@abtoxin said:
@bobrossperm said:

Hard to believe it will end up clunky when so many people are testing the game with feedback.There also no set date for the game they can fix any issue as long as it takes. A game only ends up like that if its rushed but CIG isn't doing that.

It would be better to test it all out in context of a complete game. Right now all we have seen is slices of gameplay mechanics and nothing that is fully complete. So we can't tell. But that's the nature of open development isn't it.

ABtoxin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ABtoxin

@bobrossperm said:
@abtoxin said:
@bobrossperm said:

It would be better to test it all out in context of a complete game. Right now all we have seen is slices of gameplay mechanics and nothing that is fully complete. So we can't tell. But that's the nature of open development isn't it.

Alpha 2.0 is pretty much exactly that its not a complete game but it has the modules implemented all together.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Cloud_imperium

@abtoxin said:
@bobrossperm said:

Most of them don't realize that a lot of these things were already done in Freelancer in one way or another as well as some other MMOs. Star Citizen is basically true next gen Freelancer. Nothing what they've promised is out of reach. The hardest part was to have a technology to support design of the game. Many doubted that it cannot be done, especially on CryEngine.

They spent 8 months to re-engineer CryEngine and transformed it into "Star Engine". The current game engine supports several millions of Kilometer long maps and full sized 3D planets, as well as seemless transition between dog fighting and FPS combat.

All of this stuff was never done before and it's already up and running which is very impressive. Now it's just the matter of adding content from now on. In my opinion, the hardest part is over, now it's about populating the universe with interesting missions and places etc.

Right now Arena Commander alone is more fun to play than Elite Dangerous. And they have new flight model on their way along with Alpha 2.0 which will be packed with sandbox star map, FPS, single seated and multi crew ships as well as places for on foot exploration/fights etc. It'll be first step in the universe. And controls won't be clunky. Backers make several complain threads every day even if the issue is small and not so important.

But CIG always tries best to address those concerns. Too many people are playing the game to let it release in broken state. Yes, there will be flaws on launch just like any other game but at the end of the day, I expect it to be an excellent game that will get even better with updates and expansions. Then you have 3 Single Player games (Squadron 42 Trilogy) on the way as well.

Apacheguns515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#41 Apacheguns515
Member since 2014 • 53 Posts

@rektmuhface said:

They will likely have a "simple mode" like most flight sim games have to where it makes everything much easier and less complicated. At least for Squadron 42 anyway.

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 sHaDyCuBe321

@Northernboxer said:

@sHaDyCuBe321: I'm sorry you're hurt enough to throw insults, but you'll get over it. Hyperbolic or not, my point still stands. If you don't want a complicated game, don't buy this one. My op was praising the game for the fact that there aren't many like it these days, while there are plenty of games marketed to busy people like you.

If your hobby was reading, and you are very busy with family and career, would you only read short stories? The fact that you can only put an hour into your hobby per day, doesn't mean you need to dumb down the content.

You realize calling gamers in this thread "console kids" for claiming that the game was too involved is also an insult right? People not liking what you liked seemed to have triggered you or pushed some button.

Your original post wasn't praising the game, it was bashing people who didn't praise it. And clearly the book metaphor is completely off given that a book is a finite piece of art that requires little more than reading the words on a page. While this game involves more effort and time than reading a book.

At the end of the day, you'll enjoy it and I won't. Doesn't mean I'm a console kid and you're some sort of hardcore elite gamer who is above "console kids" because you have the time to invest in it. Don't pretend like your comment wasn't snarky to begin with.

Northernboxer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Northernboxer

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:
@Northernboxer said:

a book is a finite piece of art that requires little more than reading the words on a page. While this game involves more effort and time than reading a book.

Yes, a book is a finite piece of art - like a game. And yes, you're right, reading also requires little more than reading words on a page.... when you're reading something simple/easy/shallow like most, if not all, console games.

oflow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#44 oflow
Member since 2003 • 5185 Posts

@Cloud_imperium: I dunno about a few of those statements. Arena Commander doesnt really look more fun than CQC. I havent tried AC in a while, but I like CQC better than what I played in AC, considering how much AC crashes. (i know alpha) Thats just personal preference though.

Also, the hardest thing that still needs to be implemented is the working economy that they are touting. Thats the thing that will sell me on the game and that part is a lot harder than a multi crew ship or seamless ship to fps combat.

If the economic system is terrible, buggy or easily exploitable, everything else wont matter.

Not saying that it will be because I really like the concept they have drawn up. The whole thing could be unravelled by players that live to find loopholes and exploits in systems like this. And I'm sure the SC community has far more of these types of players (even clans of them) than the average game. The more complex a game is, generally the more complex and hardcore the cheaters are.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Cloud_imperium

@oflow said:

@Cloud_imperium: I dunno about a few of those statements. Arena Commander doesnt really look more fun than CQC. I havent tried AC in a while, but I like CQC better than what I played in AC, considering how much AC crashes. (i know alpha) Thats just personal preference though.

Also, the hardest thing that still needs to be implemented is the working economy that they are touting. Thats the thing that will sell me on the game and that part is a lot harder than a multi crew ship or seamless ship to fps combat.

If the economic system is terrible, buggy or easily exploitable, everything else wont matter.

Not saying that it will be because I really like the concept they have drawn up. The whole thing could be unravelled by players that live to find loopholes and exploits in systems like this. And I'm sure the SC community has far more of these types of players (even clans of them) than the average game. The more complex a game is, generally the more complex and hardcore the cheaters are.

CQC is out? If so then I didn't know about that.

And yeah,,, you are right about the economy. But still modification of the engine was also a huge milestone and was not an easy task.

What I like about Star Citizen is that it's more about quality than quantity. Elite Dangerous heavily relies on procedural generation and I've never been a fan of that. I like smaller but more detailed/immersive worlds.

mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 mirgamer
Member since 2003 • 2489 Posts

That looks like pretty fucking impressive. And yeah, reminds me alot of Doom 3, wonder why not many games picked that up, it really adds a level of immersiveness and interactivity.

Can the game rename ships? I may need to name mine after my wife so she won't be so mad for me spending too much time with SC if it launches in a reasonably playable state....

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 blueinheaven  Online
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

It's definitely the blurriest UI I've ever seen but it probably runs (or stands still) at 60 fps which is great as Bassman won't have some kind of mad fit and be admitted to hospital. They're sick to death of seeing him in there every time he plays the wrong videogame.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#48  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17801 Posts

@blueinheaven said:

It's definitely the blurriest UI I've ever seen but it probably runs (or stands still) at 60 fps which is great as Bassman won't have some kind of mad fit and be admitted to hospital. They're sick to death of seeing him in there every time he plays the wrong videogame.

Looks like I have a fan. He is even stalking me in threads where I don't talk about 60fps. lol

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 blueinheaven  Online
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

@BassMan said:
@blueinheaven said:

Looks like I have a fan. lol

You're comedy gold mate.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Appears intrusive. Custom keyboard or second screen tablets would suit the options far better.