Star Citizen hangar UPDATE2(Dogfight module Screen shots)

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#151 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@Sushiglutton said:

Unfortunatley my prediction that they wouldn't be capable of making tight moment to moment gameplay seems to have come true. That looks very slow and unexciting.

We got to see about 30 seconds of a couple people playing a buggy alpha build that later crashed.

Way to draw conclusions about a final product not to be released for the next 1.5-2 years.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#152 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

@melonfarmerz said:

@Sushiglutton said:

Unfortunatley my prediction that they wouldn't be capable of making tight moment to moment gameplay seems to have come true. That looks very slow and unexciting.

I don't get how nobody realizes that this is a tech demo with two ai drones who didn't even fight back... Pretty sure Roberts said he was aiming for A LOT of people fighting at a time. Like 50 or so...

Don't care if there are 50 thousand people fighting at the same time. Flying lacked any sense of speed or momentum. The weapons looked and sounded dull. I get it's an alpha, but so far it looks awful and I don't think there's any indication it will be cool by launch.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#153 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

@Sushiglutton:

You do realize there's a thing called G-Forces. They're going for a realistic approach when G-Forces will effect a pilots actions in Star Citizen so you're not gonna see amazing 360's, 180's and barrel rolls out of the blue.

As for the sound, it sounds like every other explosion/bullet sound effect that has been used in numerous space battles in movies, tv shows and games. I even got a slight deja vu of some sound bits from what they used for BSG when Vipers would open fire.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#154 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

This brings up more questions which I know smart people may know the answer to but if you're in space with very little to no gravity then how can there be any meaningful g-force? We can withstand quite a lot of g-stuff but to remove gravity by even just 50% wouldn't this mean we would be able to make exponentially sharper and faster movements?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 foxhound_fox
@JohnF111 said:

This brings up more questions which I know smart people may know the answer to but if you're in space with very little to no gravity then how can there be any meaningful g-force? We can withstand quite a lot of g-stuff but to remove gravity by even just 50% wouldn't this mean we would be able to make exponentially sharper and faster movements?

There would be a force exerted on the pilot based on the relative momentum and change of direction of the ship. So to come to a full stop from maximum thrust, it would require equal amounts of thrust power in the exact opposite direction to stop it. The pilot, even if in a zero-g environment, should still feel the motion of the craft carrying them.

@Sushiglutton said:

@melonfarmerz said:

@Sushiglutton said:

I don't get how nobody realizes that this is a tech demo with two ai drones who didn't even fight back... Pretty sure Roberts said he was aiming for A LOT of people fighting at a time. Like 50 or so...

Don't care if there are 50 thousand people fighting at the same time. Flying lacked any sense of speed or momentum. The weapons looked and sounded dull. I get it's an alpha, but so far it looks awful and I don't think there's any indication it will be cool by launch.

It's only "cool" to people who like a realistic recreation of what space travel several hundred years in the future might be like. This isn't meant to be the Call of Duty of space shooters... it's as close to what they can approximate flying a starship would be like.

And really, what is more rewarding... flying a ship with all the detailed controls of a real one through missions and hotzones, battling off other individuals or groups and successfully vanquishing them all with your many weeks of training and practice... or jumping into an on-rails experience where you push a few buttons, see a bunch of explosions and get congratulated for saving the universe?

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#156 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:
@JohnF111 said:

There would be a force exerted on the pilot based on the relative momentum and change of direction of the ship. So to come to a full stop from maximum thrust, it would require equal amounts of thrust power in the exact opposite direction to stop it. The pilot, even if in a zero-g environment, should still feel the motion of the craft carrying them.

Yeah I understand there will always be force applied to your body but in the video the ship couldn't have been moving very fast so would acceleration to light speed not be similar to accelerating in a sports car, meaning due to having almost no gravity you could accelerate much much more while only producing the same g-force as a fast car.

Maybe it was because the battle was close to a planet and it's gravity was stronger but I think they overdid the g-force a little, maybe some motion sickness but almost passing out? Seems a bit much.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 foxhound_fox

@JohnF111 said:

Yeah I understand there will always be force applied to your body but in the video the ship couldn't have been moving very fast so would acceleration to light speed not be similar to accelerating in a sports car, meaning due to having almost no gravity you could accelerate much much more while only producing the same g-force as a fast car.

Maybe it was because the battle was close to a planet and it's gravity was stronger but I think they overdid the g-force a little, maybe some motion sickness but almost passing out? Seems a bit much.

The force applied to the body would depend on the acceleration. Accelerating to light speed (or near light speed, as theoretically light speed travel without special quantum exceptions is impossible I hear) at a fast rate would cause severe stress to the body (so much as there is no special exceptions like in Star Trek where they have this compensation mechanic and self-contained artificial gravity on the ship).

Granted, I am merely applying my knowledge of high school level physics and basic scifi tropes to this question. Physics has come a long way in the past decade, and I haven't been keeping up to speed (pun intended).

melonfarmerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#158 melonfarmerz
Member since 2014 • 1294 Posts

One thing you have to love about the Crowd Funded Model is how open the Dev process is. They just released a bit about AI. It's awsome.

Loading Video...

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#159  Edited By lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

^^ thanks for the link..

DeathLordCrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 DeathLordCrime
Member since 2014 • 893 Posts

@melonfarmerz said:

One thing you have to love about the Crowd Funded Model is how open the Dev process is. They just released a bit about AI. It's awsome.

Loading Video...

awesome

-CC-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By -CC-
Member since 2006 • 2048 Posts

That one guy was like the real life Sheldon.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By foxhound_fox

"I'm an astrophysicist that ran simulations on the universe, with supercomputers from around the world".

And this guy is in game development? Wow... do what you love I guess.

This game is turning into something amazing. And the one comment about having the backer/kickstarter model making all this possible, while under a publisher, they'd have to make sacrifices to meet the release schedule really hits home for me. This is how I want games to be made... for the passion of it, not because they need to make a marketable product for the general consumer.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#163 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

"I'm an astrophysicist that ran simulations on the universe, with supercomputers from around the world".

This game is turning into something amazing. And the one comment about having the backer/kickstarter model making all this possible, while under a publisher, they'd have to make sacrifices to meet the release schedule really hits home for me. This is how I want games to be made... for the passion of it, not because they need to make a marketable product for the general consumer.

Can't imagine there is much demand for an astrophysicist around the world. The few jobs there are going to be highly contested. This was probably a better paying job.

TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 TheFadeForever
Member since 2013 • 2655 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

Space Sim after all

CroidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By CroidX
Member since 2013 • 1561 Posts

God damn I wanna see some boarding maybe they will add it in future updates

TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 TheFadeForever

@foxhound_fox said:

If its going be a space sim there going need some experts on making it good

DeathLordCrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 DeathLordCrime
Member since 2014 • 893 Posts

"As a result of hitting this most recent goal, Cloud Imperium’s chairman Chris Roberts, the man behind the Wing Commander games, announced that the dev can now fund a new “Procedural Generation R&D Team.” This team will develop procedural generation technology for later iterations of the game, which will help to enhance the scope and detail of the universe the team is building."

There going to expand it even more maybe they will create some planets we can explore

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#168  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@deathlordcrime said:

"As a result of hitting this most recent goal, Cloud Imperium’s chairman Chris Roberts, the man behind the Wing Commander games, announced that the dev can now fund a new “Procedural Generation R&D Team.” This team will develop procedural generation technology for later iterations of the game, which will help to enhance the scope and detail of the universe the team is building."

There going to expand it even more maybe they will create some planets we can explore

Landing on planets and exploring was already a plan . But now with extra funding they will add an expansion pack that will allow players to explore ENTIRE planet . On game's initial launch , it will have over 450 locations where you can land (all handcrafted) which includes cities , planets , asteroid bases , abandoned bases , underwater cities etc . There will be some limitations though . Since this is huge galaxy , so they can't handcraft everything , exploration of entire planets can only be made possible with procedural generation . Which will be added as expansion .

TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By TheFadeForever

@Cloud_imperium said:

@deathlordcrime said:

Landing on planets and exploring was already a plan . But now with extra funding they will add an expansion pack that will allow players to explore ENTIRE planet . On game's initial launch , it will have over 450 locations where you can land (all handcrafted) which includes cities , planets , asteroid bases , abandoned bases , underwater cities etc .

I'm expecting alien lifeforms on those planets

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@TheFadeForever said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

@deathlordcrime said:

Landing on planets and exploring was already a plan . But now with extra funding they will add an expansion pack that will allow players to explore ENTIRE planet . On game's initial launch , it will have over 450 locations where you can land (all handcrafted) which includes cities , planets , asteroid bases , abandoned bases , underwater cities etc .

Roberts said, I think at the PAX demo, that you can collect life forms and objects and show them off in your ship or house or whatnot

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 Cloud_imperium

@wis3boi said:

@TheFadeForever said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

@deathlordcrime said:

Roberts said, I think at the PAX demo, that you can collect life forms and objects and show them off in your ship or house or whatnot

Yes you can . He said that , it'll be like a trophy that you can be proud of since you traveled to unknown space to collect all those unique items and living organisms (He mentioned fish) .

TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 TheFadeForever

@Cloud_imperium said:

@wis3boi said:

@TheFadeForever said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

@deathlordcrime said:

Yes you can . He said that , it'll be like a trophy that you can be proud of since you traveled to unknown space to collect all those unique items and living organisms (He mentioned fish) .

Did he say anything about other alien species who are sentinel that we will encounter that we might end up fighting

GodspellWH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 GodspellWH
Member since 2013 • 1078 Posts

Oh shit that reminds me about the aliens in the games weren;t there hostile ones we might encounter

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#174 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60711 Posts

@milannoir said:

@Heil68 said:

@lawlessx said:

@Heil68 said:

I may have a new rig by the time it comes out. I'm not sold on the game however, it has to be fun to me for me to be interested. "space adventure, trading and dogfighting in first person."

If it's more sim than action, I'll pass.

what exactly do you want from the game? If you're not into sim this game may just annoy you.

I want action! :P Seriously sims aren't my thing, so games like Civilization and the TW series are not games I enjoy.

This game plans to have intense single-seat fighter dogfights.. AND massive fights involving capital ships with player and/or NPC crews, requiring good coordination at different battlestations, and between fighter wings... AND boarding mechanics/ planetside on-foot combat (FPS.. This is done in the CryENgine after all)....

So you've got the action covered, if you want it. Or you can play as an explorer, searching for new jump points, new systems, new planets, abandoned colonies, shipwrecks etc. Or you can play as a trader, as an industrialist...

But if you're the sort of player who wants someting that is pick-up-and-play, easy-to-master, arcade-esque crap... This game isn't for you.

Sounds great if that's the case. My time for gaming is limited these days and getting into deep sim type games, like Civ 5 really isn't practical.

CroidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 CroidX
Member since 2013 • 1561 Posts

@godspellwh said:

Oh shit that reminds me about the aliens in the games weren;t there hostile ones we might encounter

Yea I heard there were multiple ones in the universe not sure what they will do I think you can fight them in space

milannoir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By milannoir
Member since 2008 • 1663 Posts

Quite a few alien species already known in the game's lore.

The Banu are friendly to humans (clan structure, a trader culture).

The Xi'An are reptilian humanoids. There was a long cold war between them and the human empire.

The Tevarin were vanquished by humanity and what's left of them has been assimilated by the human empire.

The Kr'thak (or something like it) are the Xi'An's arch enemies, and humans know close to nothing about them.

And then you have the Vanduul: a nomadic, warrior race, that threatens many human systems with their raiding parties. Their ships are impressive:

melonfarmerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By melonfarmerz
Member since 2014 • 1294 Posts

Holy shit the Xi'an concept on the bottom left. That's amazing.

What ships did everyone get? I only have a 325A

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 foxhound_fox
@melonfarmerz said:

I want a Freelancer.

milannoir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By milannoir
Member since 2008 • 1663 Posts

@melonfarmerz said:

You mean this one?

Looks great indeed.

I pledged for many ships :p

My personal favourite is the Retaliator.. Or maybe the Avenger.. Love Aegis' designs!

hofuldig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#181 hofuldig
Member since 2004 • 5126 Posts

@TheFadeForever said:

@Consternated said:
@foxhound_fox said:

Have a friend that is bringing me in on this for his in-game company. He himself has contributed over $3000 to the game. He already has a bunch of ships in his hangar.

I guess that's the SC equivalent of this...

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/46/6a/bf/466abf0e765bab9911ce16ffeb95e5cb.jpg

@TheFadeForever said:

@Consternated said:

I can't see the video. Do you have a link?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaxOzR8vhTo

Sweet, thanks.

here for the newer one I added

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN00Ui4SDCY

you stole this video from level cap and posted it as ur own.

napo_sp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By napo_sp
Member since 2006 • 649 Posts

good quality raw screenshots from pax demo

source https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/120693/some-pure-screenshots-of-dfm/p1

TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 TheFadeForever

@hofuldig:

um what? I found it on youtube

TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 TheFadeForever

@napo_sp said:

good quality raw screenshots from pax demo

source https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/120693/some-pure-screenshots-of-dfm/p1

I'll put some in the front

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

PC the best.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By Cloud_imperium

@TheFadeForever said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

@wis3boi said:

@TheFadeForever said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

@deathlordcrime said:

Did he say anything about other alien species who are sentinel that we will encounter that we might end up fighting

Yes , it was known since the beginning . Star Citizen does have intelligent Alien Races like Vanduul , Banu , Xi'AN etc . Single Player storyline will focus on war between Humans and Vanduul .

Evo_nine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 Evo_nine
Member since 2012 • 2224 Posts

so, what resolution will this be on the ps4? :P

this is looking awesome, cant wait!

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#188  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

@Evo_nine said:

so, what resolution will this be on the ps4? :P

this is looking awesome, cant wait!

0px @ 0fps

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#189 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

Any ground combat in this game or is it all spaceships?

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 Cloud_imperium

@biggest_loser said:

Yes there is ground combat as well . It'll be tactical and not mindless unlike COD .

Campaign will have 70% action in ship and 30% ground combat + free roaming aboard Bangal Carrier and you can interact with other characters between missions .

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#191  Edited By Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Star Citizen is slowly becoming the game I wished Mass Effect would've been. I will not argue against the Star Citizen = GOAT...the more I see of this game I seriously need to calm down.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 lawlessx

@biggest_loser said:

yes..they have a separate team working on the FPS portion of the game

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts

@Ballroompirate said:

Star Citizen is slowly becoming the game I wished Mass Effect would've been. I will not argue against the Star Citizen = GOAT...the more I see of this game I seriously need to calm down.

Please no, that would have been horrible. Character driven RPG saga where you spend 70% of your time in a 1-man cockpit?

You'd just be Joker the whole series lol

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 lawlessx

@Spartan070 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

Please no, that would have been horrible. Character driven RPG saga where you spend 70% of your time in a 1-man cockpit?

there are ships that require 10+ players to maintain.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@Spartan070 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

Seth Green: Wing Commander. 10/10

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 Spartan070

@lawlessx said:

@Spartan070 said:

there are ships that require 10+ players to maintain.

Wow, thank goodness we have online chat or that would be impossible, unless they were a hive mind...also impossible.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By Cloud_imperium

@Spartan070 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

There are lot of multiple crew ships . The story starts on Idris Frigate , which is huge space ship then later in the story you'll go to Bangal carrier which is over 2 Kilometers long . Much bigger than Normandy , with plenty of time to interact with crew until you go to briefing room for your next mission . Not to mention your fellow Wing men will fly with you on each mission . Some missions will put you in single seated dog fighter , others will put you in multi crew ships manning turrets , others will be on ground FPS etc . Just like Wing Commander or Mass Effect , protagonist can communicate with your squad when on mission . Hell , if you play online or with LAN , your friends can take over AI and can control your squad member . You can play entire story like this . This is something that Mass Effect should've featured as well , instead they wasted their resources on PVE multiplayer .

There are a lot of exploration elements to this game as well . Exploring the unknown , cities , new star systems , landing on planets , finding abandoned bases , alien wrecks , there are going to be even underwater cities . And yes you can go wherever you want , it is fully open world .

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198  Edited By Spartan070

@Cloud_imperium said:

@Spartan070 said:

There are lot of multiple crew ships . The story starts on Idris Frigate , which is huge space ship then later in the story you'll go to Bangal carrier which is over 2 Kilometers long . Much bigger than Normandy , with plenty of time to interact with crew until you go to briefing room for your next mission . Not to mention your fellow Wing men will fly with you on each mission . Some missions will put you in single seated dog fighter , others will put you in multi crew ships manning turrets , others will be on ground FPS etc . Just like Wing Commander or Mass Effect , protagonist can communicate with your squad when on mission . Hell , if you play online or with LAN , your friends can take over AI and can control your squad member . You can play entire story like this . This is something that Mass Effect should've featured as well , instead they wasted their resources on PVE multiplayer .

There are a lot of exploration elements to this game as well . Exploring the unknown , cities , new star systems , landing on planets , finding abandoned bases , alien wrecks , there are going to be even underwater cities . And yes you can go wherever you want , it is fully open world .

While all that not only sounds ambitious but awesome as well, Bioware didn't waste resources on ME3s PVE mp, I spent more time in that that any other mp game all last gen. I still occasionally watch streams of it and do some solo-gold runs.

But back to Star Citizen, yes that all sounds great.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#199 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

@milannoir: .....and the Kilrathi. Pups have been exterminated by no other than Skywalker himself.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 foxhound_fox

@Spartan070 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

It would have been better than what we got in ME2/3, which was a glorified third-person shooter with "choices".