Star citizen - First true Next gen title?

• 141 results
#1 Edited by SNIPER4321 (10142 posts) -

so a first true next gen game build on Cryengine 4. Space Sim on ship and FPS on Ground. it looks very interesting from what i have seen so far. it seem like one hell of the game. what do u think ppls?

#2 Edited by SrgtSaggy101 (1863 posts) -

never really got into space sims, but this one I do want to try.

#3 Posted by Blabadon (25714 posts) -

Ughh, please live up to the hype.

#4 Posted by Spartan070 (16327 posts) -

"True" next gen? I thought PC didn't have gens?

#5 Posted by naz99 (1160 posts) -

The dogfighting alpha is only a couple of weeks away,my expectations are tempered until development is farther along but it should be good fun nontheless,

Dropped $120 on this and so far I don't regret it

#6 Edited by foxhound_fox (87396 posts) -

Got my Freelancer ready and waiting.

#7 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (10009 posts) -

What exactly makes this Next Gen ? Is this more graphics nonsense ?

#8 Edited by SNIPER4321 (10142 posts) -

What exactly makes this Next Gen ? Is this more graphics nonsense ?

compare it to destiny that is most overhype "next" gen title.

also i have a feeling that its FPS combat are better than most FPS games release nowadays..

#9 Posted by IgGy621985 (4608 posts) -

I'm kind of worried for this game. They got shitload of cash, and yet they have shown very little.

#10 Edited by naz99 (1160 posts) -

@SNIPER4321: total speculation..you have no idea as none of us have seen the fps gameplay yet...don't start getting all raging fanboy on us end up hijacking your own thread

They have however hinted that a proper fps developer is doing the fps gameplay and they will be revealed soon

#11 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (10009 posts) -

@ SNIPER4321

The Consoles themselves barely qualify as next gen themselves so naturally all the next gen games are very underwhelming.

Still not following what makes Star Citizen so Special ?

#12 Edited by padaporra (3389 posts) -

Looked like a pretty game with 20 years old gameplay.

#13 Edited by naz99 (1160 posts) -

@IgGy621985: the game is being developed across multiple teams they can't show a game that is in pieces spread around the world the effort to bring it together before it is farther along just to show people something would be a colossal waste of time and resources

#14 Edited by JohnF111 (14048 posts) -

Got my Freelancer ready and waiting.

Mine's the Origin 325a Fighter, I want to be blasting pirates and collecting bounties.

#15 Edited by foxhound_fox (87396 posts) -

I'm kind of worried for this game. They got shitload of cash, and yet they have shown very little.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com

Can't show much when it's all still in the making. This has been the most transparent game development in the history of gaming. They talk about literally EVERYTHING they are doing with the game. If people can't get an idea if they'll like it or not at this point, then there is no hope for them. Watch some of the feature videos on that site I linked, they go into great detail about specific facets of the game, but since it's not actually BUILT yet, you have to use your imagination.

#16 Posted by -CC- (1889 posts) -

They did show part of the game at PAXE last month. I dont think they will make that mistake again until it much farther along. The hype for this game comes from it being a Chris Roberts game. I dont think this game could ever have gotten the green light at any major studio and the kickstarter would not have worked without him. If the game live up to half the huge hype expect a bunch of cheap knockoff space sim games that will kill the genre for another 20 years.

#17 Edited by naz99 (1160 posts) -

@padaporra: doom came out 20 years ago...does that mean all fps shooters have 20 year old game play.

Every single game in every single genre that has existed for more than 20 years has 20 year old game play?

*facepalm*

#18 Edited by intotheminx (567 posts) -

I'm thinking of buying that $40 ship just so I can get my foot in the door lol. I wasn't aware there would be fps gameplay. That makes it even more interesting.

As far as being the first true next gen title...I'd say it comes down to whichever game is released first between Star Citizen and The Witcher 3.

#19 Edited by Jebus213 (8720 posts) -
@Lulu_Lulu said:

@ SNIPER4321

The Consoles themselves barely qualify as next gen themselves so naturally all the next gen games are very underwhelming.

Still not following what makes Star Citizen so Special ?

Do you people know anything about space sims?

#20 Edited by Cloud_imperium (2309 posts) -

Duh . Both Star Citizen and Witcher 3 .

#21 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (10009 posts) -

@ Jebus213

Not a damn thing. Completely Uncharted Territory.

#22 Posted by bezza2011 (2321 posts) -

Way Way to much hype for this game.

Visually it does look stunning and from what I've seen it looks great but that's it, all we've seen is visuals and some demo's of walking around and stuff, we still aren't sure on how the space fights are gonna be and how the fps is going to be, what else will happen, other things we can do, how diverse the worlds are gonna be, until then, i'm holding my judgement on this and not being dragged into all the hype of a few video's and remember the video's have been in 4k so of course it's going to look amazing, it all depends how amazing it will all look in the final build aswel

#23 Posted by IgGy621985 (4608 posts) -
#24 Edited by Jebus213 (8720 posts) -
@Lulu_Lulu said:

@ Jebus213

Then it would be completely pointless to even try to explain it to you.

But as a person who's played Freelancer for 7-8 years I'm looking for a new online space sim that has a dynamic economy, player owned systems and stations, a huge seamless world to explore, better controls, and better graphics.

Other then graphics and immersion, Star Citizen hasn't impressed me all that much.

Elite Dangerous looks more appealing to me.

#25 Edited by GarGx1 (2431 posts) -

Um, you don't appear to be following development at all because you could not be more wrong mate.

We get three shows a week - minimum. Wingman's Hangar, 10 for the Chairman and TGNS (ok that's a competition). The April monthly report was published a couple of days ago and a DFM update was published the week before. We also have near direct contact with the dev's through the forums, all you need to do is ask a question in the relevant section and it's likely to be answered.

There has never been a game in the history of gaming that has the community more involved than this. True they kind of have too, we are essentially the investors and publishers in a round-a-bout kind of way, but most games are in development for a couple of years before we get an official announcement and then they disappear again for another few years until it's ready for release.

I'm not sure how they can be more open with us and if you want more pictures and images, get a subscription and have a look in the vault and/or read through Jump Point.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13848-Monthly-Report-April-2014

#26 Posted by blackace (20082 posts) -

@SNIPER4321: Love it. Can't wait to get a copy and play it. Making sure the next PC I build runs it smoothly. They did show a video of some minor space battle which was nice. The hit and damage detection was turned off for asteroids at the time though. The guy kept running into asteroids and getting no heavy damage. As soon as he ran into his space station, the ship blew up. lol!! The cockpit looked nice though. The game is beautiful.

#27 Posted by GarGx1 (2431 posts) -

Looked like a pretty game with 20 years old gameplay.

Here's hoping the gameplay is as much fun as Wing Commander. I'm certainly banking on it.

#28 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (10009 posts) -

@ Jebus213

Simulators are not games. Obviously. Still not seeing the "Next Gen" part of all this. Wait wait wait !!! How do you simulate space.... I'm pretty sure thats uncharted territory for you too isn't it ?

#29 Edited by melonfarmerz (1107 posts) -

Yes. Not only are the graphics great, what the game promises is amazing. A massive persistent universe in which every planet can be explored by foot. Exploration, its own economics system where you can make an empire, dog fighting, FPS, ect. It's literally a universe sim. In that regard, the ambition is seperate from any last gen game

#30 Posted by Cloud_imperium (2309 posts) -

@ Jebus213

Both of you should play Freelancer . It is the best Space Sim for new comers . Unlike hardcore games like Wing Commander , Tie Fighter , or Freespace etc , it is a bit arcady . However that doesn't make too easy because the the game is still challenging , and story telling is still one of the best .

Star Citizen in basically two games in one package . The first game is Squadron 42 , which is single player campaign that takes place within Star Citizen universe . Squadron 42 is designed like next gen Wing Commander , which means ; Character driven story , Branching storyline , multiple endings , Cutscenes etc but now with FPS combat and improved dog fights as well . It won't be just 5 hours campaign like modern so called AAA games but at least 15-16 hours campaign (50 missions) . They haven't shared much about plot due to spoilers but what we know so far is that it'll be about great war between UEE (United Empire of Earth) and Vanduuls (one of the alien races in the game) .

Second game is Star Citizen itself , which is designed like Next gen Freelancer (Minus the storyline) . It is completely open world , you can go where you want , do whatever you want . On launch , the game will support 110 Star Systems . They are planning to have 450 locations on launch where you can land your ship (Asteroids , Cities , Outposts , Underwater Cities etc) . You can get out of ship and walk around to do different stuff (purchase upgrades for your ships , engage with characters/other players , explore , engage in FPS combat on lawless planets etc) . The lore of the game is pretty cool , you can find videos about it on youtube , uploaded by fans . Then there is support for private servers , LAN and Mods . There is so much more to this game , I haven't even scratched the surface yet . I highly recommend you check out their official website .

You can take part in alpha by pledging 40 dollars and it will also give you access to Squadron 42 and Star Citizen upon release as well . This is the cheapest AAA game ever , in many years .

#31 Edited by SNIPER4321 (10142 posts) -

@SrgtSaggy101 said:

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@ Jebus213

Both of you should play Freelancer . It is the best Space Sim for new comers . Unlike hardcore games like Wing Commander , Tie Fighter , or Freespace etc , it is a bit arcady . However that doesn't make too easy because the the game is still challenging , and story telling is still one of the best .

Star Citizen in basically two games in one package . The first game is Squadron 42 , which is single player campaign that takes place within Star Citizen universe . Squadron 42 is designed like next gen Wing Commander , which means ; Character driven story , Branching storyline , multiple endings , Cutscenes etc but now with FPS combat and improved dog fights as well . It won't be just 5 hours campaign like modern so called AAA games but at least 15-16 hours campaign (50 missions) . They haven't shared much about plot due to spoilers but what we know so far is that it'll be about great war between UEE (United Empire of Earth) and Vanduuls (one of the alien races in the game) .

Second game is Star Citizen itself , which is designed like Next gen Freelancer (Minus the storyline) . It is completely open world , you can go where you want , do whatever you want . On launch , the game will support 110 Star Systems . They are planning to have 450 locations on launch where you can land your ship (Asteroids , Cities , Outposts , Underwater Cities etc) . You can get out of ship and walk around to do different stuff (purchase upgrades for your ships , engage with characters/other players , explore , engage in FPS combat on lawless planets etc) . The lore of the game is pretty cool , you can find videos about it on youtube , uploaded by fans . Then there is support for private servers , LAN and Mods . There is so much more to this game , I haven't even scratched the surface yet . I highly recommend you check out their official website .

You can take part in alpha by pledging 40 dollars and it will also give you access to Squadron 42 and Star Citizen upon release as well . This is the cheapest AAA game ever , in many years .

Squadron 42 sound very interesting. not much interested in MMO.

#32 Edited by naz99 (1160 posts) -

@SNIPER4321: it's not really an mmo it does not contain the game mechanics normally contained in an mmo. No skill trees or leveling etc..its more an instanced pvp/coop open world game,everyone plays on one mega server but are split into instances of allegedly 40 to 100 ships depending on how populated certain star systems are

It will be more similar to an open world single player space sim but with pvp and coop added in and even then it is optional unless you are on the very fringes of lawless space

I love the idea of soloing the game doing my own thing most likely a merchant but then maybe breaking away to pick up a bounty that has been placed on anotjer player because he has been robbing ships which has the result of messing with my business as the goods I was expecting never turned up because of the thieving sod..then go tracking him round the galaxy in an effort to put a stop to his dishonest ways.

#33 Posted by Cloud_imperium (2309 posts) -

@SNIPER4321: Lot of us who played previous games of Chris Roberts are more excited about Squadron 42 . For me and a lot of us Squadron 42 will be gateway to Star Citizen itself and it'll also release BEFORE Star Citizen . So , they know that this game is important , since it'll be first glimpse of Star Citizen universe . That's why they formed whole different studio in UK to completely focus on making kick ass Single Player campaign . FPS in the game will be tactical and slow with ability to lean through corners . Few shots can kill you (One shot in head) and you can lose your arms , legs etc in Star Citizen , then you'll get artificial arms and legs instead of you real ones . However in Squadron 42 , you'll die and will have to load last save game like other Single Player games (since it is story driven) .

#34 Posted by rabakill (557 posts) -

The way they are developing the game pretty much guarantees it will be amazing and the lack of a publisher forcing it out seals the deal. They already gave content development tools to the public/beta testers and there will be user generated content at launch. The community is developing the game along with RSI so if at any point there are serious issues the community will be the first to let the developers know. The game is literally being shaped by the backers. Of any game to be hyped this has the best chance of success because its so open and the community wouldn't stand for something being released that doesn't work.

Take for instance the multiplayer components. The game is going to automatically load players from other instances to give an immersive feel but the way it handles parties and who gets loaded will be tested to infinitum before release. Imagine if that had happened with dark souls 2 and soul memory

#35 Edited by SNIPER4321 (10142 posts) -

@SNIPER4321: Lot of us who played previous games of Chris Roberts are more excited about Squadron 42 . For me and a lot of us Squadron 42 will be gateway to Star Citizen itself and it'll also release BEFORE Star Citizen . So , they know that this game is important , since it'll be first glimpse of Star Citizen universe . That's why they formed whole different studio in UK to completely focus on making kick ass Single Player campaign . FPS in the game will be tactical and slow with ability to lean through corners . Few shots can kill you (One shot in head) and you can lose your arms , legs etc in Star Citizen , then you'll get artificial arms and legs instead of you real ones . However in Squadron 42 , you'll die and will have to load last save game like other Single Player games (since it is story driven) .

hardcore tactical gameplay in science fiction FPS ... sounds like MY type of game..

#36 Posted by Cloud_imperium (2309 posts) -

@naz99 said:

@SNIPER4321: it's not really an mmo it does not contain the game mechanics normally contained in an mmo. No skill trees or leveling etc..its more an instanced pvp/coop open world game,everyone plays on one mega server but are split into instances of allegedly 40 to 100 ships depending on how populated certain star systems are

It will be more similar to an open world single player space sim but with pvp and coop added in and even then it is optional unless you are on the very fringes of lawless space

I love the idea of soloing the game doing my own thing most likely a merchant but then maybe picking up a bounty that has been placed on anotjer player because he has been robbing ships which has the result of messing with my business as the goods I was expecting never turned up because of the thieving sod..then go tracking him round the galaxy in an effort to put a stop to his dishonest ways.

This . Not to mention exploring unknown parts of the universe . Players have already started to form organizations dedicated to exploring the universe .

#37 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (13150 posts) -

I'm fully expecting this to suck.

#38 Edited by g0ddyX (3889 posts) -

A next gen PC game for sure.

#39 Edited by Jebus213 (8720 posts) -

@ Jebus213

Damnit, I triped over my own two feet.

fix'd

#40 Posted by naz99 (1160 posts) -

Oh my god guys!!!!!

Are we actually having a civilized conversation in system wars???

Where is XboxDerp74 when you need him :p

#41 Posted by scottpsfan14 (3343 posts) -

Star Citizen will be the next Crysis 1 in terms of technical prowess for PC. Absolutely no console restraints. I am not sure yet, but this may be beyond the new consoles capability completely, meaning that if it was to have a release on the PS4, it would be mutilated like Crysis 1 was for PS3/360. And would be gimped not just in textures and resolution, but in models and game play elements. That's to say if it lives up to the hype. I've seen nothing so far on SC that looks beyond the PS4's capability. It probably is on a technical level, but the consoles would give it a good go given that the devs utilize the low level api's in the consoles bla bla bla.

#42 Posted by glez13 (8585 posts) -

Isn't this a 2015 title? Probably something else will come out before it.

#43 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (10009 posts) -

@ Jebus213

uhm..... Okay.... Weird.

@ Cloud_imperium

Interesting... Built a campaign mode from a simulator.....

Anyway I don't think its my type of thing.... I'm more into physics based stuff like Project CARS.

#44 Edited by Cloud_imperium (2309 posts) -
@glez13 said:

Isn't this a 2015 title? Probably something else will come out before it.

They've already switched from Cry Engine 3 to 4th gen Cry Engine . Most of the stuff is not even implemented in the game . This game is targeted for next gen video cards from AMD and nVIDIA , they are working closely with those companies along with Crytek . Graphics are going to become better as release date comes closer . Just compare December Dog Fight Footage with New footage from last month . The difference is night and day , nothing remains static in game development .

December :

April :

Now imagine , the final game in 2015 .

#45 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (15888 posts) -

We've discussed this before. But,some people have a reason to be concerned. Anyone remember Battlecruiser 3000AD?

#46 Edited by naz99 (1160 posts) -

@jun_aka_pekto: all i remember about that game is that it was bad and the developer was renowned for being a dick

Derek (dick) Smart

#47 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (15888 posts) -
@naz99 said:

@jun_aka_pekto: all i remember about that game is that it was bad and the developer was renowned for being a dick

The game was also a bit too ambitious. Hopefully Star Citizen won't end up the same.

That's why I keep my enthusiasm tempered until the game is actually out. But, I expect good times ahead for space sim fanatics. The first wave of games should be heaven. Then the me-too copycats will cause saturation.

#48 Posted by Epic-gamerz (196 posts) -

The car interior dash cam of Forza 5 looks better than the dash cam interior of the battle ship in SC. And didn't take 2 years to design

#49 Posted by naz99 (1160 posts) -

@jun_aka_pekto: the problem was that they shot for the stars (no pun intended :p)but did not have the budget to back it up so it just felt rushed and half arsed.and at the time Derek smart was largely unproven,chris roberts isnt

#50 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (15888 posts) -

@naz99 said:

@jun_aka_pekto: the problem was that they shot for the stars (no pun intended :p)but did not have the budget to back it up so it just felt rushed and half arsed.and at the time Derek smart was largely unproven,chris roberts isnt

I agree. Chris Roberts goes back a long time. I played his first game, Times of Lore (RPG), on my Tandy 1000SX back in the late 80's. I never played the follow-on, Bad Blood, which had the same top-down view as Times of Lore. He He. I was expecting him to become an RPG icon until he came out with Wing Commander.