SSB4: Zero Suit Samus' alternate costume

• 56 results
#1 Posted by nintendoboy16 (27471 posts) -

Source: Miiverse

Normally, I wouldn't do a Smash thread for something as little as a costume, trophy, etc., but...

Masahiro Sakurai recently revealed Zero Suit Samus in alternate costume, paying a nod to various Metroid: Zero Mission endings. The costume shows a lot more skin and, as you expect (despite Sakurai going as far as admitting her designer is female), parts of Twitter and Tumblr are NOT happy about this and I think you can guess what kind.

What do you think?

#2 Posted by Bigboi500 (30409 posts) -

Not skimpy enough.

#3 Edited by 93BlackHawk93 (5913 posts) -

Bunch of kiddies and feminazis.

Yes, I said it.

#4 Edited by Sword-Demon (6970 posts) -

Looks great

I'd why anyone would have a problem with it; it's nothing new, that's the zero suit from Metroid Fusion.

And pretty much every other fighter out there has women in wayyyy skimpier outfits

#5 Posted by Gaming-Planet (14072 posts) -

Lol feminists going wild right now.

#6 Posted by silversix_ (15266 posts) -

That looks kinda ugly. Even zero suit Master Chief would look sexier

#7 Posted by Ballroompirate (23444 posts) -

Awww yeah

#8 Posted by BldgIrsh (2888 posts) -

Zoe Quinn is gonna have a field day with this matter.

#9 Posted by darkspineslayer (20124 posts) -

The ironic thing is I see far more feminazis (do take note I have a completely different connotation here than if I had used the term feminist, before anybody jumps on me) making a big deal about her sexualisation than the supposed pandered to demographic.

Let's be real, guy. We've worked with a lot less material. Those who were fapping to Samus (and what the hell is wrong with you, that's like getting off to Disney Princesses wrong) were already doing it. Everyone else is either complaining about it or sees it as what it actually is. A canonically valid alt costume and just fucking women's sportswear.

#10 Posted by superbuuman (3058 posts) -

unexpected but nice..still prefer the 1 piece Zero Suit Samus tho. :)

#11 Posted by bunchanumbers (1925 posts) -

I don't have a problem with it. I had a problem with Quiet's Sniper suit. Mainly because its not really tactical. I'm sure her ability is camo skin or whatever but still. One shot and she would be done. But when the PC version is released I can get a mod where she is wearing something sensible. This is more of a nod to the past than anything. And besides I could use the regular outfit too. Its not like its the only option.

#12 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (34205 posts) -

I would find it hilarious if someone actually tried to call sexism over this, since:

1. A female was the one who was working Samus' designs in Smash 4
  2. It is a reference to Fusion's endings (and thus isn't there for sex appeal, atleast not solely...)
#13 Posted by freedomfreak (41877 posts) -

The hair looks weird.

Besides that,

#14 Edited by wiifan001 (18448 posts) -

I'm shocked Nintendo actually went there

#15 Edited by nintendoboy16 (27471 posts) -

@DJ-Lafleur said:

I would find it hilarious if someone actually tried to call sexism over this, since:

1. A female was the one who was working Samus' designs in Smash 4
  2. It is a reference to Fusion's endings (and thus isn't there for sex appeal, atleast not solely...)

The folks at GN found one comment on Tumblr saying the suit was designed by twelve year old boys.

#17 Posted by Nuck81 (5875 posts) -

Samus was in a bikini in the first one. This is just a nod to her endings.

Nintendo has never gone for Fan Service. I applaud them for that.

#18 Posted by lamprey263 (24662 posts) -

it is kinda tacky, I like the full blue bodysuit better, it does seem cheap but I'm not gonna scream objectification and shit, Samus is a cherished hero

#19 Posted by locopatho (20438 posts) -

Dam son. That's... alright :P

#20 Posted by Seabas989 (10675 posts) -

Awesome especially since it's from Fusion.

#21 Posted by IamAdorable (402 posts) -

I am not against it :p

#22 Posted by yokofox33 (30133 posts) -

Still not using her. Still pretty cool though I guess.

#23 Posted by MBirdy88 (8576 posts) -

"This might be to much for m dad letting me get the game!" ..... sigh.

the faster this "sex is bad, violence is great" dated christian nonsense goes away the better.

Why would a kid not be allowed to see someone in a bathing suit? I mean FFS.

All the more reason though why I have no respect for most modern feminists ....

#24 Posted by Kaze_no_Mirai (11539 posts) -

I think there are bigger things that people should worry about, even in the gaming industry. People will always find something to complain about and some people just seem to do it for the fuck of it.

#25 Edited by ShepardCommandr (2988 posts) -

Doesn't show enough skin.

#26 Posted by Litchie (16506 posts) -

Why, hello there.

#27 Posted by littlestreakier (2937 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

"This might be to much for m dad letting me get the game!" ..... sigh.

the faster this "sex is bad, violence is great" dated christian nonsense goes away the better.

Why would a kid not be allowed to see someone in a bathing suit? I mean FFS.

All the more reason though why I have no respect for most modern feminists ....

That last line, completely agree. Not sure when this happened, but most feminists I know don't argue for equality.

#28 Posted by GoldenElementXL (3566 posts) -

@bldgirsh said:

Zoe Quinn is gonna have a field day with this matter.

Or maybe Samus is just pulling a play from the Zoe Quinn playbook.

#29 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (7755 posts) -

People act like she's only wearing Jack's belts from Mass Effect 2. I don't see the problem with her alt. Nothing mind blowing nor controversial. It's just....there.

#30 Edited by TheGuardian03 (22124 posts) -

Thank you nintendo.

#31 Edited by nintendoboy16 (27471 posts) -

@YearoftheSnake5 said:

People act like she's only wearing Jack's belts from Mass Effect 2. I don't see the problem with her alt. Nothing mind blowing nor controversial. It's just....there.

Oh please don't remind me of that vomit inducing "outfit".

#32 Edited by wolverine4262 (19949 posts) -

Ninty is really trying to use sex appeal to sell their system. This and Hyrule Warriors come to mind...Anyway, Ill just go back to SR4 with my no censor mod. :P

#33 Edited by foxhound_fox (89815 posts) -

They really need to update her hair. It's looked like shit since Zero Mission.

And that costume is from Metroid: Fusion's endings, not Zero Mission. Zero Mission gave her that iconic suit everyone knows about.

EDIT: Nevermind, I forgot about these ones:

Either way, fix the goddamn hair. It looks like crap in 3D.

#34 Edited by PrincessGomez92 (3705 posts) -

So much sexism in gaming. Time to boycott Nintendo too.

#35 Posted by Heirren (18087 posts) -

@princessgomez92 said:

So much sexism in gaming. Time to boycott Nintendo too.

On both ends. In fact I'd say there are more real down-to-earth female representations in games than males.

#36 Edited by YearoftheSnake5 (7755 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

Oh please don't remind me of that vomit inducing "outfit".

You're welcome. :D

#37 Posted by commonfate (12591 posts) -

I agree that the alternate costume is of little consequence but the whole a woman designed hence it can't be sexist is a weaksauce arguement.

#38 Posted by parkurtommo (27503 posts) -

@darkspineslayer said:

and what the hell is wrong with you, that's like getting off to Disney Princesses wrong

Oh shit

#39 Posted by foxhound_fox (89815 posts) -

@commonfate said:

I agree that the alternate costume is of little consequence but the whole a woman designed hence it can't be sexist is a weaksauce arguement.

It's the same argument Ubisoft used to defend against the people raging over the first Assassin's Creed game being set in the Middle East and (apparently) putting Islam in a bad light (when in reality it was Christianity, not Islam that was being subtly criticized). They put a "this game was made by a team of people from various creeds and backgrounds yadayadayada" disclaimer at the beginning.

I don't see what is "sexist" about a woman wearing skimpy clothing. On one hand, we have women going out, dressed in skimpy clothes doing "slut walks" in support of anti-rape campaigns... and on the other, we have women calling out a developer for being "sexist" for putting a (quite strong, independent) female character in a skimpy outfit.

The double standards of the PC/SJW movement needs to be ended. It's almost like they are just looking for attention rather than trying to come up with legitimate criticisms.

#40 Posted by Star_Skywalker (4023 posts) -

It's so Retro I love it.

#41 Posted by nintendoboy16 (27471 posts) -

@YearoftheSnake5 said:

You're welcome. :D

*holds mouth and runs like Todd in the Shadows in this video*

#42 Edited by wolverine4262 (19949 posts) -

Sexy =/= Sexist.

#43 Edited by kingjazziephiz (2443 posts) -

Love it

#44 Posted by nini200 (10083 posts) -

I honestly though her alt was going to be Bayonetta

#45 Posted by Maroxad (8517 posts) -

The model is pretty poor, but that is a stupid reason to bash it.

I guess sex negative feminists are gonna continue being sex negative feminists. On the bright side, I don't think the sex positive feminists would have much of a reason to complain.

#46 Posted by Lionheart08 (15479 posts) -

@commonfate said:

I partly agree, but at the same time, there actually were people legit using the argument that, from their understanding, it being a man who was the designer was what made it sexist.

But yeah, a lady employing "Male Gaze" doesn't make the concept of male gaze itself not sexist, like you said.

#47 Posted by GunSmith1_basic (9867 posts) -

Samus has been showing skin since the NES days.

However it seems to me like she would be THE female character to not do this with though. She should be a badass, and kind of a tomboy who does things on her own. I don't think she should aspire to the Spice Girls' version of "girl power"

#48 Posted by superbuuman (3058 posts) -

@GunSmith1_basic said:

Samus has been showing skin since the NES days.

However it seems to me like she would be THE female character to not do this with though. She should be a badass, and kind of a tomboy who does things on her own. I don't think she should aspire to the Spice Girls' version of "girl power"

No, she is a badass so she can wear what she wants & you will like it! :P

#49 Posted by JangoWuzHere (16957 posts) -

Would they prefer they she strip down to her underwear like in the original NES game?

#50 Posted by Kjranu (1051 posts) -

I've seen stuff a lot raunchier than that on the internet and elsewhere.

Just saying.