Square-Enix Announces New IP: The Last Reminant

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bryehngeocef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 0

#1 bryehngeocef
Member since 2003 • 2281 Posts

-Running on Unreal Engine 3 (Sorry Wii)

-Simultanious Japan/USA launch targeted for spring 2008

-Directed by: Hiroshi Takai (Final Fantasy Anthology, The Bouncer, Legend of Mana, SaGa Frontier)

-Announced in Game Informer instead of Shonen Jump or Famitsu

-Turn-Based combat using "QTE" (Quick Time Events)

Scans of Game Informer are floating around, and the game looks great. Huge scale battles that feature hundreds of combatants. I'm sure more details will surface soon... 

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

Link?

Which console will it be on?

Lilac_Benjie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Lilac_Benjie
Member since 2006 • 12287 Posts

-Running on Unreal Engine 3 (Sorry Wii)bryehngeocef

The awesome thing about Unreal Engine 3 is that it can be scaled back so much that it can be made to run on a Gameboy Color. 

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Bread_or_Decide
[QUOTE="bryehngeocef"]

-Running on Unreal Engine 3 (Sorry Wii)Lilac_Benjie

The awesome thing about Unreal Engine 3 is that it can be scaled back so much that it can be made to run on a Gameboy Color. 

Wouldn't that defeat the whole purpose of using it?

Tnasty11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Tnasty11
Member since 2005 • 4497 Posts

The latest issue of Game Informer features as-promised details on a new Square-Enix role playing game. That issue is now showing up in the mailboxes of subscribers and the magazine lovin' members of NeoGAF have begun to leak details on the game.

According to a post from NeoGAFer Sallokin, Square-Enix will release its single-player RPG The Last Remnant on "next generation platforms" which I'll will be on the PLAYSTATION 3 and Xbox 360. The Last Remnant will be the first title to use Epic's Unreal Engine 3 which the company announced it was licensing earlier this year.

The game is designed to appeal to both Japanese and Western gamers with two main playable characters tailored to each region's tastes. The Last Remnant is directed by Hiroshi Takai who previously worked on The Bouncer and Legend of Mana.

Game Informer subscribes should wait out front for the mailman. Hopefully, we'll learn more about the game when Ashcraft attends the Square-Enix Party 2007, only days away.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Wait... hold on... Squeenix announced a NEW IP!? Holy crap... the world is going to implode... :|
Lilac_Benjie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Lilac_Benjie
Member since 2006 • 12287 Posts
[QUOTE="Lilac_Benjie"][QUOTE="bryehngeocef"]

-Running on Unreal Engine 3 (Sorry Wii)Bread_or_Decide

There is very little I am allowed to comment on about that at this moment. That will have to wait until another time. 

Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts
Well at least its not another Final Fantasy Spinoff.
StealthSting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 StealthSting
Member since 2006 • 6915 Posts
Hell after the vibe I'm getting from them recently...... I hope they keep them coming. Tho the beginning of the generation, is usually the best moment to present new Ip's. This might actually be interesting.
Tnasty11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Tnasty11
Member since 2005 • 4497 Posts

ps3 and 360 :D      wii:cry:

NeoStar9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 NeoStar9
Member since 2003 • 1761 Posts

Yeah. Just because it's on the Unreal Engine 3 doesn't mean that discounts the Wii. The very nature of the engine is that is can be altered and scaled. From my understanding it isn't a fix engine, it can be altered in a LOT of ways. Also if I recall correctly Red Steel is actaully running on the Unreal Engine 2.5. No reason to think that Unreal Engine 3 couldn't be scaled back in some areas to that while keeing other Engine 3 aspects. That was also a launch title which accounts for the roughness in it but there were some great looking areas as well. No reason to think the Wii couldn't handle Engine 3 with alterations (some major and some minor, just don't know).l

Actually use of the engine itself allows Square-Enix to be able to port it easier if they wish as it isn't written specificly for any one platform. Given the success of the Wii I don't doubt Square would try to make money off it by releasing a Wii version.  

bryehngeocef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#12 bryehngeocef
Member since 2003 • 2281 Posts

Link?

Which console will it be on?

Bread_or_Decide

360 & PS3 most likely. No link (Scans of USA magazine) 

SpaceDragonMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SpaceDragonMan
Member since 2007 • 1502 Posts
[QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"][QUOTE="Lilac_Benjie"][QUOTE="bryehngeocef"]

-Running on Unreal Engine 3 (Sorry Wii)Lilac_Benjie

There is very little I am allowed to comment on about that at this moment. That will have to wait until another time.

haha, are you trying to say that you're a game developer of some sort?

Btw. It sounds great  that SE is finally making games on the 360. About the scans, can anyone link me to them? or atleast give me a hint where to look? 

SpaceDragonMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SpaceDragonMan
never mind, I found them
Carmilla31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Carmilla31
Member since 2005 • 3335 Posts
That director has a terrible track record. Bouncer = lol Legend of Mana = worst mana game in the series Saga = a joke of a good rpg FF Anthology = port of a SNES game
NickyJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 NickyJD
Member since 2007 • 231 Posts

Who remembers when Square said 360 was crap and they weren't going to support it. Funny how they change there tune when the horse they've been backing for 10 years has got all it's legs broken and is on it's last.

I bet all these developers wish they could go back two years and make Wii games instead of PS3 games, maybe then they would see a profit.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Bread_or_Decide
[QUOTE="Lilac_Benjie"][QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"][QUOTE="Lilac_Benjie"][QUOTE="bryehngeocef"]

-Running on Unreal Engine 3 (Sorry Wii)SpaceDragonMan

haha, are you trying to say that you're a game developer of some sort?

Btw. It sounds great  that SE is finally making games on the 360. About the scans, can anyone link me to them? or atleast give me a hint where to look? 

I think he's hinting that the game will be ported to the Gameboy SP using the super scaled back Unreal Engine 3.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Bread_or_Decide

Yeah. Just because it's on the Unreal Engine 3 doesn't mean that discounts the Wii. The very nature of the engine is that is can be altered and scaled. From my understanding it isn't a fix engine, it can be altered in a LOT of ways. Also if I recall correctly Red Steel is actaully running on the Unreal Engine 2.5. No reason to think that Unreal Engine 3 couldn't be scaled back in some areas to that while keeing other Engine 3 aspects. That was also a launch title which accounts for the roughness in it but there were some great looking areas as well. No reason to think the Wii couldn't handle Engine 3 with alterations (some major and some minor, just don't know).l

Actually use of the engine itself allows Square-Enix to be able to port it easier if they wish as it isn't written specificly for any one platform. Given the success of the Wii I don't doubt Square would try to make money off it by releasing a Wii version.  

NeoStar9

Unreal Engine 3 on the Wii?

LOL

Sheep can dream can't they?

SpaceDragonMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SpaceDragonMan
[QUOTE="NeoStar9"]

Actually use of the engine itself allows Square-Enix to be able to port it easier if they wish as it isn't written specificly for any one platform. Given the success of the Wii I don't doubt Square would try to make money off it by releasing a Wii version.

Bread_or_Decide

Unreal Engine 3 on the Wii?

LOL

Sheep can dream can't they?

It's wishful thinking, don't pay attention to them...Â