Square Enix: We Now Understand The True Power of 3DS

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by charizard1605 (52594 posts) -

"I was most impressed by how smoothly Monster Hunter 4 sold, I felt that Monster Hunter showed me the true powers of the Nintendo 3DS,” said Square Enix's Akitoshi Kawazu.

SOURCE

Well no shit, Square Enix. Maybe this will cause you to stop putting your games on smartphone shit, and start putting them on real platforms. Hell, your own 3DS games- Dragon Quest VII, Bravely Default, and Kingdom Hearts 3D, did incredibly well. Dragon Quest VII sold over a million, and it hasn't even released outside of Japan!

Seriously, I hope this means better and more 3DS support from Square. Maybe a The World Ends With You 2?

#2 Edited by lundy86_4 (41641 posts) -

Just gimme mah Bravely Default... Gonna pick up Monster Hunter tomorrow (first ever).

#3 Posted by charizard1605 (52594 posts) -

Just gimme mah Bravely Default... Gonna pick up Monster Hunter tomorrow (first ever).

Heads up, it might try your patience to begin with, but if you stick with it, the payoff is great.

#4 Posted by lundy86_4 (41641 posts) -

@lundy86_4 said:

Heads up, it might try your patience to begin with, but if you stick with it, the payoff is great.

Pretty much what I expect, just from looking at it. It still seems really interesting, and it's only $40. Win/win.

#5 Posted by charizard1605 (52594 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@lundy86_4 said:

Pretty much what I expect, just from looking at it. It still seems really interesting, and it's only $40. Win/win.

Haha yep. You got the Circle Pad Pro?

#6 Posted by lundy86_4 (41641 posts) -

@lundy86_4 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@lundy86_4 said:

Gonna grab that as well. I've been itching to play some RE: Revelations again, so it's worth it.

#7 Edited by charizard1605 (52594 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@lundy86_4 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@lundy86_4 said:

Gonna grab that as well. I've been itching to play some RE: Revelations again, so it's worth it.

Yeah, Monster Hunter for new players without CCP is... rough

#8 Posted by lundy86_4 (41641 posts) -

Yeah, Monster Hunter for new players without CCP is... rough

Seems like a must buy then. I'd probably rage quit without it.

#9 Edited by Heil68 (40487 posts) -

I might get that as well.

#10 Posted by dobzilian (2334 posts) -

Good, now let's have a FFTA3.

#11 Posted by PonchoTaco (1661 posts) -

Hitman 3DS

#12 Posted by lundy86_4 (41641 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

@lundy86_4 said:

The series seems pretty cool. Might as well try it out.

#13 Posted by Heil68 (40487 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

@lundy86_4 said:

The series seems pretty cool. Might as well try it out.

Hopefully it's not crushing hard.

#14 Edited by mrintro (1354 posts) -

they're gonna cream their pants when they unlock the potential of the Vita

#15 Posted by Blabadon (23726 posts) -

I like their iPhone/3DS mix they have going. Multiplats are fine with me.

#16 Posted by Crazyguy105 (9482 posts) -

That's just great Square-Enix, now get Nomura and Jupiter to start The World Ends With You 2 for 3DS.

#17 Posted by charizard1605 (52594 posts) -

@mrintro said:

they're gonna cream their pants when they unlock the potential of the Vita

Yeah, I don't think you understood what he was saying. He is talking about sales potential.

#18 Posted by finalfantasy94 (25809 posts) -

I dont know if MH is a good indication since that game is so popular over there if it was for vita im sure those sales would skyrocket as well.If anything this shows the true power of MH.

#19 Posted by Animal-Mother (25032 posts) -

Shame square rarely makes good games anymore.

#20 Posted by charizard1605 (52594 posts) -

I dont know if MH is a good indication since that game is so popular over there if it was for vita im sure those sales would skyrocket as well.If anything this shows the true power of MH.

Monster Hunter on the Vita wouldn't be as profitable as Monster Hunter on the 3DS.

You do miss out on the point, especially given Square's own massive successes on the platform.

#21 Posted by k--m--k (951 posts) -

I guess they didnt see how awesome Pokemon X is until now

#22 Posted by BlessedChill (676 posts) -

3DS graphics are horrible. That's why SE puts games on phones. My 5s/Vita runs circles around it smh.

#23 Posted by lundy86_4 (41641 posts) -

3DS graphics are horrible. That's why SE puts games on phones. My 5s/Vita runs circles around it smh.

I wouldn't describe them as horrible, but definitely lacking. That being said, the games are phenomenal. No two ways around it.

#24 Posted by finalfantasy94 (25809 posts) -

@finalfantasy94 said:

Monster Hunter on the Vita wouldn't be as profitable as Monster Hunter on the 3DS.

You do miss out on the point, especially given Square's own massive successes on the platform.

You dont think MH being on vita would move units when MH helped out psp by a great deal.

#25 Posted by charizard1605 (52594 posts) -

a) He is not talking about graphics

b) 3DS graphics are not horrible, they are competent. They are well beyond PS2/GCN level. Sure, they're not Vita level, but they don't need to be if they are well above the minimum acceptable standard.

c) SE puts games on phones because it dumps cheap ROMs on there. Minimum investment, maximum returns. Phone games have such low expectations, it doesn't matter. If they tried doing that on 3DS or even Vita, they would be mobbed.

#26 Posted by charizard1605 (52594 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@finalfantasy94 said:

You dont think MH being on vita would move units when MH helped out psp by a great deal.

PSP already had a massive userbase that was very active.

MH Vita would move units, of course it would, just not even close to the amount it did on the 3DS.

#27 Posted by BlessedChill (676 posts) -

@BlessedChill said:

b) 3DS graphics are not horrible, they are competent. They are well beyond PS2/GCN level. Sure, they're not Vita level, but they don't need to be if they are well above the minimum acceptable standard.

c) SE puts games on phones because it dumps cheap ROMs on there. Minimum investment, maximum returns. Phone games have such low expectations, it doesn't matter. If they tried doing that on 3DS or even Vita, they would be mobbed.

I was replying to when you said "Square Enix. Maybe this will cause you to stop putting your games on smartphone shit, and start putting them on real platforms."

I don't know what fake platform (Iphone 5s) crushes a real platform in graphical capability.

#28 Posted by charizard1605 (52594 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@BlessedChill said:

I was replying to when you said "Square Enix. Maybe this will cause you to stop putting your games on smartphone shit, and start putting them on real platforms."

I don't know what fake platform (Iphone 5s) crushes a real platform in graphical capability.

One with shit controls?

There is much more to a platform than just 'power.'

#29 Posted by finalfantasy94 (25809 posts) -

@finalfantasy94 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@finalfantasy94 said:

MH Vita would move units, of course it would, just not even close to the amount it did on the 3DS.

I still dont see how im missing the point of the comment since again its MH in japan and it moving alot of units is not really a shock.

#30 Posted by charizard1605 (52594 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@finalfantasy94 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@finalfantasy94 said:

I still dont see how im missing the point of the comment since again its MH in japan and it moving alot of units is not really a shock.

He's talking about the 3DS's ability to have massive returns on high end titles, Monster Hunter is just one example.

#31 Edited by Liquid_ (2055 posts) -

Hoping they don't mess up bravely default

Mario Tennis Open and Tales of the Abyss are my favorites so far.

Mario Party Island Tour is fun too, but no multiplayer

#32 Posted by charizard1605 (52594 posts) -

@Liquid_ said:

Hoping they don't mess up bravely default

Mario Tennis Open and Tales of the Abyss are my favorites so far.

Mario Party Island Tour is fun too, but no multiplayer

Bravely Default is already out everywhere except for America. It was released to rave reviews.

#33 Edited by Chozofication (2491 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@BlessedChill said:

b) 3DS graphics are not horrible, they are competent. They are well beyond PS2/GCN level.

No, bro.

It's like a Dreamcast or PSP on geometry/textures at best but with modern shaders and effects, at least to the extent the 3ds can handle them.

I don't think it quite reaches the Ps2 in raw power even when considering the modern stuff, and it's not even close to gamecube.

#34 Posted by charizard1605 (52594 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@BlessedChill said:

b) 3DS graphics are not horrible, they are competent. They are well beyond PS2/GCN level.

No, bro.

It's like a Dreamcast or PSP on geometry/textures at best but with modern shaders and effects, at least to the extent the 3ds can handle them.

I don't think it quite reaches the Ps2 in raw power even when considering the modern stuff, and it's not even close to gamecube.

I dunno, stuff like Kid Icarus or Resident Evil Revelations feels like it would have been impossible on the PSP or Dreamcast.

Also, in terms of sheer numbers, we know the 3DS is higher specc'd (though of course a lot of that goes towards just maintaining the 3D).

#35 Posted by crimsonman1245 (4253 posts) -

Do they even have a 3DS game announced? The last one they made was Bravely Default and they were to cheap to even localize the game. It's kind of amazing how incompetent their management is.

I mean, they JUST now realized that the 3DS is a money maker for japanese publishers? Are you fucking kidding me? I could run this company better, i truly believe i could.

#36 Posted by Jakandsigz (4512 posts) -

"I was most impressed by how smoothly Monster Hunter 4 sold, I felt that Monster Hunter showed me the true powers of the Nintendo 3DS,” said Square Enix's Akitoshi Kawazu.

SOURCE

Well no shit, Square Enix. Maybe this will cause you to stop putting your games on smartphone shit, and start putting them on real platforms. Hell, your own 3DS games- Dragon Quest VII, Bravely Default, and Kingdom Hearts 3D, did incredibly well. Dragon Quest VII sold over a million, and it hasn't even released outside of Japan!

Seriously, I hope this means better and more 3DS support from Square. Maybe a The World Ends With You 2?

You do realize smartphones are stronger outside of the Vita right?

#37 Posted by lundy86_4 (41641 posts) -

Do they even have a 3DS game announced? The last one they made was Bravely Default and they were to cheap to even localize the game. It's kind of amazing how incompetent their management is.

I mean, they JUST now realized that the 3DS is a money maker for japanese publishers? Are you fucking kidding me? I could run this company better, i truly believe i could.

Bravely Default is being localized, and a sequel is being made.

Though, I agree... SE are pretty much asshats.

#38 Posted by Dreams-Visions (26569 posts) -

The true power of the 3DS: making developers money.

#39 Posted by Jakandsigz (4512 posts) -

@Chozofication said:

@charizard1605 said:

@BlessedChill said:

No, bro.

I dunno, stuff like Kid Icarus or Resident Evil Revelations feels like it would have been impossible on the PSP or Dreamcast.

You don't need to be a tech expert to see that RER CAN run on a Dreamcast. A PSP could run it to but a few effects would be missing. It would still run smoothly.

#40 Edited by crimsonman1245 (4253 posts) -

@crimsonman1245 said:

Square Enix is not localizing the game, Nintendo had to localize it for them, how pathetic is that?

#41 Edited by lundy86_4 (41641 posts) -

@crimsonman1245 said:

@lundy86_4 said:

@crimsonman1245 said:

Square Enix is not localizing the game, Nintendo had to localize it for them, how pathetic is that?

What? That's my bad... Should have done more research. This was the perfect game to localize, as it harkens back to FF's glory dayds.

#42 Posted by FlamesOfGrey (7357 posts) -

Wait true power? Monster Hunter would sell on anything in Japan especially a handheld. If MH4 was on the Vita it would have still sold millions. Maybe not quite the same amount because of userbase but close.

#43 Posted by crimsonman1245 (4253 posts) -

@crimsonman1245 said:

@lundy86_4 said:

@crimsonman1245 said:

What? That's my bad... Should have done more research. This was the perfect game to localiz, as it harkens back to FF's glory dayds

I couldn't agree with you more, Type-0 on 3DS/Vita would be easy money as well, but they wont do it.

#44 Edited by lundy86_4 (41641 posts) -

@crimsonman1245 said:

I couldn't agree with you more, Type-0 on 3DS/Vita would be easy money as well, but they wont do it.

They need to smarten up. At least we've kinda seen it, with regards to watching the FF quality... Now, let's work on localizing fucking great games.

Bravely Default is probably my most hyped game at the moment.

#45 Posted by Shewgenja (6825 posts) -

@crimsonman1245 said:

They need to smarten up. At least we've kinda seen it, with regards to watching the FF quality... Now, let's work on localizing fucking great games.

For once, I absolutely agree with you.

#46 Posted by lundy86_4 (41641 posts) -

@lundy86_4 said:

@crimsonman1245 said:

For once, I absolutely agree with you.

For once, eh? Don't deny my genius!

#47 Edited by xWoW_Rougex (2720 posts) -

The True Power of the 3DS?! W--What about all people that owns a Playstation Vita! And a Playstation 3/4!

Sqaru-Enixu...You bastards... If you intend to focus only on the 3DS, I...
*clench fist*

I WON'T FORGIVE YOU!

#48 Posted by FlamesOfGrey (7357 posts) -

The True Power of the 3DS?! W--What about all people that owns a Playstation Vita! And a Playstation 3/4!

*clench fist*

I WON'T FORGIVE YOU!

You won't see much SE development on consoles this gen anyway. I'd expect FF 15, KH3 and maybe 1 or two smaller games.

#49 Edited by lundy86_4 (41641 posts) -

@xWoW_Rougex said:

*clench fist*

I WON'T FORGIVE YOU!

Glorious anime/manga reference.

#50 Edited by crimsonman1245 (4253 posts) -

@xWoW_Rougex said:

*clench fist*

I WON'T FORGIVE YOU!

You won't see much SE development on consoles this gen anyway. I'd expect FF 15, KH3 and maybe 1 or two smaller games.

Yeah, and if we are lucky they might even localize them.