Square Enix "interested" in bringing future FF games to PC

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by whiskeystrike (12068 posts) -

Linky-dink

Square Enix is interested in bringing future Final Fantasy games to the PC, it's said.

While MMO Final Fantasy games Final Fantasy 11 and Final Fantasy 14 are available on PC, none of the Final Fantasy 13 trilogy of games are, and Final Fantasy 15 is confirmed for release on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One only.

It's a series whose heritage is on console, but according to Final Fantasy producer Yoshinori Kitase, that may change.

"Let's not forget, when we developed the Final Fantasy 13 series, all three titles, at the early stages of development we were working on PC," Kitase told Eurogamer.

"Then we had to port it to the consoles. As far as the technology is concerned, it would have been possible for us to make a PC version, but we decided against it for two reasons: we looked at the market situation and we didn't think it would be a good idea, and also it would have involved lots of complex issues like security. So we decided not to do it this time around.

"But we see potential in it and there are lots of regions and countries where PC is very strong. So in terms of our hope of being able to deliver our games to every single country in the world and to as many gamers as possible, yes, we would definitely be interested in pursuing that route in the future."

Square Enix has recently released some of the Final Fantasy games on Steam, including Final Fantasy 7 and Final Fantasy 8. Kitase said these titles had enjoyed success, making more launches on Valve's enormously successful digital platform likely.

"Final Fantasy 7 and 8 are now available on PC and they've been proving quite popular," he said. "It's an early stage for us. We haven't got an awful lot of experience in this field. So when we have more know-how and experience in this market we would be very interested."

In June last year Square Enix unveiled Final Fantasy 15 for PS4 and Xbox One, in development at the company's First Production Department and under the guidance of producer Shinji Hashimoto, director and character designer Tetsuya Nomura and co-director Hajime Tabata. Kingdom Hearts composer Yoko Shimomura is also working on the game.

-----------

Knowing Square they'll probably end up porting all the FF classics (I-VI) to Steam and then to future FF titles from there. PC gamers are you excited for more Japanese support?

And to make this more System Wars appropriate.... lolz PC gets all the games, consoles am doomed #rekt, #PCdominationcontinuation

#2 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (6902 posts) -

I think it's great that the PC is getting more JRPGs. I just wish the Final Fantasy series were as good as it used to be.

#3 Edited by longtonguecat (2492 posts) -

Unless they convince PC gamers that they're not cash-in ports, they won't sell very well on PC as most would either buy them on consoles or not really be interested in a long established franchise they haven't had much exposure to on the platform (lets be honest a lot of the previous non-MMO FFs don't really feel at home on PC).

#4 Edited by SonicNextGen2 (3398 posts) -

I think it's great that the PC is getting more JRPGs. I just wish the Final Fantasy series were as good as it used to be.

Since FFXV is by a different team, hopefully it'll be better. Now if only we can get Valkyria Chronicles for the PC :D

#5 Posted by treedoor (7478 posts) -

They should also bring the past games to PC as well.

I know they've already put 7 and 8 on Steam, and I'm sure 9 is on its way, but I bet people would appreciate 1-6 as well as 10-13 (potentially).

It'd help to build up a fanbase rather than just throwing FF15 on PC randomly after last releasing FF8.

#6 Posted by edwardecl (2021 posts) -

"Final Fantasy 7 and 8 are now available on PC and they've been proving quite popular,"

I'm sure Final Fantasy 7 has been on PC for a very long time... I had a demo of it for PC probably not far from the original release on console.

#7 Posted by lawlessx (46459 posts) -

@PurpleMan5000 said:

Since FFXV is by a different team, hopefully it'll be better. Now if only we can get Valkyria Chronicles for the PC :D

Valkyria chronicles would do very well on the PC.

#8 Edited by treedoor (7478 posts) -

@lawlessx said:

@SonicNextGen2 said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

Valkyria chronicles would do very well on the PC.

I think a lot of Sega's titles would.

But that requires Sega of Japan to wise up. They have a very long history of being stubborn.

#9 Posted by whiskeystrike (12068 posts) -

FFXV and Kingdom Hearts III coming to PC would pretty much kill any ambition for me to get a PS4 or Xbox One.

Square pls

#10 Posted by heretrix (37296 posts) -

FF9 and FF12 pls.

Thanks.

#11 Edited by finalfantasy94 (26256 posts) -

why not. its more money in their pockets.

#12 Posted by MBirdy88 (7438 posts) -

"Final Fantasy 7 and 8 are now available on PC and they've been proving quite popular,"

I'm sure Final Fantasy 7 has been on PC for a very long time... I had a demo of it for PC probably not far from the original release on console.

Yea, but it was re-released recently. with cloud save games.... and some updated resolution adjustments ect... nothing fancy... infact alot worse than what modders have been able to do.

I don't see why Square is so upset about "security" .... you still get sales, and porting FF15/KH3 to PC would not be a difficult task for them.

Why wait?

#13 Edited by FoxbatAlpha (6068 posts) -

Square should be interested in not sucking anymore.

#14 Edited by EndlessInfinity (219 posts) -

FFXIII has left me with a very sour taste for the franchise. I'm sure there a audience in the pc community that are interested in JRPG.

#15 Edited by EndlessInfinity (219 posts) -

@MBirdy88:

Steam is pretty much all the security you need now.

#16 Posted by Consternated (489 posts) -

#17 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (13133 posts) -

I think we can agree here.

#18 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (6068 posts) -

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Did we just become best friends? Lol.

#19 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (13133 posts) -

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Did we just become best friends? Lol.

as long as lightning dies. :)

#20 Posted by glez13 (8585 posts) -

This would be good news if FF games were still awesome. After VIII the only one I really liked was XII. Everything else was just passable or I forced myself to different degrees to play them.

#21 Posted by jhonMalcovich (4414 posts) -

@treedoor said:

I know they've already put 7 and 8 on Steam, and I'm sure 9 is on its way, but I bet people would appreciate 1-6 as well as 10-13 (potentially).

It'd help to build up a fanbase rather than just throwing FF15 on PC randomly after last releasing FF8.

They can keep XIII though.

#22 Posted by Mozelleple112 (6618 posts) -

@PurpleMan5000: This.

FF used to be one of the greatest franchises in gaming, along with Metal Gear, Mario, Zelda and GTA, or heck, back when FF was in its "prime" (so '80s-90s) only Mario and Zelda could match it.

Nowadays its just producing garbage, sure FFXIII was a decent game, but compared to FF history its so bad I wish it never was made.

Why can't FF return to its glory :(

#23 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16610 posts) -

Maybe there will finally be some games worth playing on the PC.

#24 Posted by foxhound_fox (87379 posts) -

The original PC version hasn't been on sale for well over a decade. The only copies of the game available were either pirated or second hand. They released an upgraded rerelease on Steam over Christmas (or was that FFVIII?). They both have been doing quite well on Steam. Especially since you can mod the hell out of it and make it look halfway decent.

#25 Posted by lundy86_4 (42875 posts) -

If they seriously up the quality, then this is pretty cool.

#26 Posted by Ballroompirate (22289 posts) -

Wow so FFXV is only gonna be on PS4 and X1?, that just killed any desire to buy the game now -.-

#27 Posted by lundy86_4 (42875 posts) -

FFXIII has left me with a very sour taste for the franchise. I'm sure there a audience in the pc community that are interested in JRPG.

If they take a serious look at it, which they appear to be doing, then the quality may increase. They have said they are watching the quality of the series, and with the way they fixed FFXIV, this could be great.

#28 Posted by PsychoLemons (1987 posts) -

It's helps but is Final Fantasy still relevant nowadays?

#29 Posted by Crossel777 (5593 posts) -

Lol FFXV with midi tune soundtrack.

#30 Edited by Sweenix (5396 posts) -

Hopefully they port lightning returns to pc :)

#31 Edited by charizard1605 (55591 posts) -

Yes, take away my last reason to buy a non Nintendo console, that sounds like a great idea.

Oh well. There's still Persona, I guess.

#32 Edited by whiskeystrike (12068 posts) -
@charizard1605 said:

Yes, take away my last reason to buy a non Nintendo console, that sounds like a great idea.

If Sega of Japan starts copying Sega of NA we might start seeing some Persona games also pop up on Steam.

Well, at least I can only hope so. And yeah, Japanese support on the PC pretty much solidifies my PC + Nintendo stance.

#33 Edited by Seabas989 (10044 posts) -

@heretrix said:

FF9 and FF12 pls.

Thanks.

^This especially the International version of XII.

#34 Posted by Basinboy (10993 posts) -

Bout damn time, S-E. Test the waters with FFX/X-2 HD releases, possibly the KH remakes, but god please do not hold your game hostages in a PC client. Either go with Steam or DRM-free, please.

Console, PC - it'd be nothing but semantics if publishers were more consistent in supporting multiple platforms.

#35 Posted by remiks00 (1650 posts) -

@treedoor said:

I fully agree.

I'm calling it now. They are gonna release FF13 on pc, and abandon the idea of releasing future FF's on the platform. Why? because FF13 was genuinely bad, and not many people would buy it on PC.

but I could be proven wrong...... >_>

#36 Posted by treedoor (7478 posts) -

@remiks00 said:

@jhonMalcovich said:

@treedoor said:

I fully agree.

I'm calling it now. They are gonna release FF13 on pc, and abandon the idea of releasing future FF's on the platform. Why? because FF13 was genuinely bad, and not many people would buy it on PC.

More likely they'll only release Lightning Returns on PC

#37 Posted by remiks00 (1650 posts) -

@treedoor said:

@remiks00 said:

@jhonMalcovich said:

@treedoor said:

I fully agree.

More likely they'll only release Lightning Returns on PC

Even worse lol.

#38 Posted by ShepardCommandr (2308 posts) -
#39 Edited by Gaming-Planet (13890 posts) -

Let 13 die in a coffin.

#40 Edited by Pffrbt (6481 posts) -

I would like it if more developers released their games on PC as well.

#41 Posted by MlauTheDaft (3273 posts) -

I suppose the old FFs were released to test the waters.

Personally, I'd love the franchise on PC, but consoles can keep the Lightning games ;)

#42 Posted by Consternated (489 posts) -

Personally, I'd love the franchise on PC, but consoles can keep the Lightning games ;)

FF7 & FF8 were PC releases in 1998 & 2000. I doubt we'll see anything come to PC that isn't a new game or a HD remake. I wouldn't be surprised to see FF X/X-2 HD on PC, but I would be VERY surprised to see FF1-6, & 9, on Steam, as they've never had a native PC version, or a modern remake for other platforms.

#43 Posted by MlauTheDaft (3273 posts) -

@MlauTheDaft said:

FF7 & FF8 were PC releases in 1998 & 2000. I doubt we'll see anything come to PC that isn't a new game or a HD remake. I wouldn't be surprised to see FF X/X-2 HD on PC, but I would be VERY surprised to see FF1-6, & 9, on Steam, as they've never had a native PC version, or a modern remake for other platforms.

Fair enough. I was indeed referring to the re-releases.

And I'd buy FFX/FFXII in a heartbeat ;)

#44 Edited by Articuno76 (18679 posts) -

@PurpleMan5000: Yeah. The PC has a lot of variety but it has always been hurting for strong Japanese support. Recently that has been changing though.

Having Square-Enix on board with their major releases could open the floodgates.

#45 Posted by charizard1605 (55591 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

If Sega of Japan starts copying Sega of NA we might start seeing some Persona games also pop up on Steam.

Well, at least I can only hope so. And yeah, Japanese support on the PC pretty much solidifies my PC + Nintendo stance.

Put Persona on PC, I literally will have no reason to buy a non Nintendo console again.

I mean, sure, I'll miss God of War and Uncharted, but I think I'll live :p

#46 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (6902 posts) -

@whiskeystrike said:
@charizard1605 said:

Put Persona on PC, I literally will have no reason to buy a non Nintendo console again.

Don't all of the Persona games just get better versions released on the handhelds, anyway?

#47 Edited by charizard1605 (55591 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@whiskeystrike said:
@charizard1605 said:

Don't all of the Persona games just get better versions released on the handhelds, anyway?

Nah, P3 still has its best version exclusive to consoles.
Well, until next year anyway.