Square Enix $914 million loss

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by pelvist (4873 posts) -

Must be all those PC pirates, oh wait...

First Epic and now Square Enix, whats the excuse console gamers? PC piracy made console sales low?

#2 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -

First Epic and now Square Enix, whats the excuse console gamers? PC piracy made console sales low?

pelvist

Making sh!t games no1 wants or asked for, and not giving us what we DID ask for.

its pretty obvious.

This is what you DESERVE square, for giving us sh!t like lightning returns instead of versus 13..

Who knows how many games are in 'development hell'

That alone is probably making them lose a ton.

#3 Posted by pelvist (4873 posts) -

If that was the case they would have made a loss on all systems, nice try though.

#4 Posted by SUD123456 (4488 posts) -

I don't think you actually understand the potential implications of the points raised in your two links.

#5 Posted by Heil68 (45245 posts) -
How re they doing as publisher with sleeping dogs, de hr and hitman? I love all those games.
#6 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (28422 posts) -

pelvist
lol come back when the majority of profit made on the pc isn't by low number dev teams working for a week on a flash game then charging a few dollars for it.
#7 Posted by Blake135 (3994 posts) -

[QUOTE="pelvist"]

campzor

Making sh!t games no1 wants or asked for, and not giving us what we DID ask for.

its pretty obvious.

This is what you DESERVE square, for giving us sh!t like lightning returns instead of versus 13..

First Post Nails It

#8 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
[QUOTE="pelvist"]

WilliamRLBaker
lol come back when the majority of profit made on the pc isn't by low number dev teams working for a week on a flash game then charging a few dollars for it.

i had a paragraph prepared for his statement, but this will do.
#9 Posted by StaticOnTV (583 posts) -

[QUOTE="pelvist"]

campzor

its pretty obvious.

Lightening returns is not even out yet, you can't blame that for a loss. Also Heil86, the publishing contributes to the loss. However, they are delaying releases, not releasing at al, and releasing ios rehashes, and spending large budget values on games that don't sell, and relying to much on Eidos in the west which can't do everything for them.
#10 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
[QUOTE="campzor"]

[QUOTE="pelvist"]

StaticOnTV

its pretty obvious.

Lightening returns is not even out yet, you can't blame that for a loss. Also Heil86, the publishing contributes to the loss. However, they are delaying releases, not releasing at al, and releasing ios rehashes, and spending large budget values on games that don't sell, and relying to much on Eidos in the west which can't do everything for them.

i know that, im just using that as an example of them doing something which the industry doesnt want.
#11 Posted by LordQuorthon (5350 posts) -

Sok. Final Fantasy XIII-II-V.4.32-III will save them. 

#12 Posted by BPoole96 (22803 posts) -

Console gamers are a tough crowd. Unless the box says Call of Duty, Halo, Grand Theft Auto, Fifa, Madden, or Assassin's Creed, it's tough to make considerable earning. Launching solid new IPs such as Sleeping Dogs will not net the sales it deserves simply because the console market likes buying the sequels to the same games over and over

#13 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (28422 posts) -

let me add to that.

come back when the other half of that profit isn't made by WoW or f2p games where your charged money to put on sparly dresses..lol its sad but thats what hermits do now.

#14 Posted by Ly_the_Fairy (8652 posts) -

I knew console piracy was bad, but I didn't think it was that bad.

#15 Posted by finalfantasy94 (26596 posts) -

[QUOTE="pelvist"]

campzor

its pretty obvious.

translation "I didint like your game so you deserve to fail" man internet sure is harsh.

#16 Posted by StaticOnTV (583 posts) -

Sok. Final Fantasy XII-II-V.4.32-III will save them. 

LordQuorthon
The last Final Fantasy game had horrible sales pacing. They actually started killing the expected momentum with the second XIII.
#17 Posted by crimsonman1245 (4253 posts) -

Lol 5.7 billion yen is not 914 million dollars.

#18 Posted by SUD123456 (4488 posts) -

Console gamers are a tough crowd. Unless the box says Call of Duty, Halo, Grand Theft Auto, Fifa, Madden, or Assassin's Creed, it's tough to make considerable earning. Launching solid new IPs such as Sleeping Dogs will not net the sales it deserves simply because the console market likes buying the sequels to the same games over and over

BPoole96

That isn't actually the primary driver of the problem.

#20 Posted by JohnF111 (14093 posts) -
Good, they deserve every loss that comes to them.
#21 Posted by loosingENDS (11826 posts) -

pelvist

Square spend a fortune to make one of the worst game franshises of all time, the FF13 series

What did you expect ?

If they dont bring their good games like Bravely Default, which also dont need a huge budget, how are they supposed to turn a profit ?

Solution is simple

stop making garbage 3D games, that noone wants, with huge budgets

make FF7-8-9 budget games like Bravely Default, release them, make billions

#22 Posted by HaloPimp978 (7295 posts) -

crimsonman1245

This that seems so inaccurate.

#23 Posted by BPoole96 (22803 posts) -

crimsonman1245

You're right

fn79Mc8.jpg

#24 Posted by SUD123456 (4488 posts) -

[QUOTE="crimsonman1245"]

BPoole96

You're right

fn79Mc8.jpg

So true. It is about $58 Million at today's exchange rate.
#25 Posted by lundy86_4 (43567 posts) -

[QUOTE="crimsonman1245"]

BPoole96

You're right

fn79Mc8.jpg

I'm assuming it's a typo and that it's 91.4 million, which sounds about right, taking into account what companies charge for converting the Yen. Assuming a rate of 0.016 which would be about spot on for banks.

#26 Posted by crimsonman1245 (4253 posts) -

[QUOTE="crimsonman1245"]

BPoole96

You're right

fn79Mc8.jpg

Yeah, its like a 57 million dollar loss, thats huge, but its not going to bankrupt Square Enix.

Back on topic, Square Enix has no one to blame but themselves, to blame this on the "Tough" console market is a joke, they are spending a ton of money rebuilding FF14 with their own teams like they should have done in the first place, they are releasing shovelware FF games on IOS for quick cash grabs, we have no info on Versus, 13-3 wont be done until Fall, 14 wont be done until Fall at least, they wont localize Bravely Default, they wont localize Type-0, where are the HD collections? Where is a Vita game?

I dont understand how they can do such a good job with Eidos, and such a bad job with their japanese teams, its not a matter of talent or IPs, they just make bad decision after bad decision.

I cant wait for next gen, it will be a clean slate for SE, i like their Luminous Engine, thats a good start, i hope they can get it turned around because i love their talent and IPs.

#27 Posted by MakeMeaSammitch (3953 posts) -

they released very few games this gen and those they did weren't up to their usual par.

who's honestly surprised they're losing money?

Also no ff7 remake.

#28 Posted by ferret-gamer (17327 posts) -

To all the people that are somehow trying to spin this against PC, you might want to read the article. They stated that their PC portfolio was making a profit. Consoles have a massive loss; PC makes an acceptable profit.

You can make all the excuses you want about piracy, facebook games, and MMOs, but it doesn't change that their PC side made a profit while the console side caused a huge loss.

#29 Posted by TwistedShade (3165 posts) -

Not surprised they've been making horrible decision's as of lately. FF14 was a disaster, alot of people haven't been fond of 13 and yet they keep churning out sequel's for it. And they simply refuse to release some of their few "Great" games to NA (See Bravely Default)

#30 Posted by Lance2500 (680 posts) -

Right in the feels.

#31 Posted by p3anut (5939 posts) -

Making games are not cheap. So when the game doesn't sell as good as they want they lose money. We seen many studios go bankrupt because of console players not buying their games.

#32 Posted by Lionheart08 (15436 posts) -

Square's horrible business strategy this gen is reflective on consoles. Versus being vaporware, releasing two sequels to easily their most divisive game, making a sad excuse for an MMO. Their losses came from people speaking with their money.

#33 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (42983 posts) -
"The company did take time to say its portfolio of PC and social games were showing "acceptable profit."" That's good news for them at least.
#34 Posted by Namgis (3585 posts) -

Pro Tip #1: Ask why your games aren't selling on consoles and take your consumer's advice to heart.

Pro Tip #2: Try not to alienate a 100+ million strong install base on the eve of a major launch of one of the former heavy hitters in gaming.

-

I for one have been letting my wallet speak for me, and from the looks of it, I'm not the only one. Upon hearing them complain about and blame me and everyone else, I am now going to wait for TR to hit the bottom of the barrel in the used bin before I buy. It was a, near launch window buy previously.

#35 Posted by svaubel (2498 posts) -

[QUOTE="pelvist"]

campzor

its pretty obvious.

Lol so true. Trying to understand why pubs releasing games no one wants over games people do want isnt possible. Dont think I'll ever understand SE's philosophy of 'Announce 10 games a year but only release one every two years'

Im surprised people are still craving FF13Vs, it was vaporware two years ago. 

#36 Posted by Cherokee_Jack (32198 posts) -
They need to ditch everything but Eidos Montreal, Crystal D, IO, and the Dragon Quest team. Trust me, I have an MBA.
#37 Posted by finalfantasy94 (26596 posts) -

Square's horrible business strategy this gen is reflective on consoles. Versus being vaporware, releasing two sequels to easily their most divisive game, making a sad excuse for an MMO. Their losses came from people speaking with their money.

Lionheart08

didint 13 sell well. 

#38 Posted by Cherokee_Jack (32198 posts) -

[QUOTE="Lionheart08"]

finalfantasy94

didint 13 sell well. 

13 did well, around 6.6 million. 13-2 only sold around 3.1 million though. I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't meet their expectations.

#39 Posted by Vari3ty (11111 posts) -

Maybe they should actually make the games people want to play? From what I hear there's one game they could make that would do them well.

#40 Posted by topgunmv (10249 posts) -

I wonder if the people in this thread really don't know how many games square actually makes/publishes, or if they're just playing stupid.

#41 Posted by whiskeystrike (12068 posts) -

Weak yen.

This is not a 1:1 reflection of the Final Fantasy series. Square Enix is pretty much the publisher of Japan, hell they even publish CoD. Not much of a stretch to call them the Activision of the East.

#42 Posted by Phreek300 (202 posts) -

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

[QUOTE="crimsonman1245"]

crimsonman1245

You're right

fn79Mc8.jpg

Yeah, its like a 57 million dollar loss, thats huge, but its not going to bankrupt Square Enix.

Back on topic, Square Enix has no one to blame but themselves, to blame this on the "Tough" console market is a joke, they are spending a ton of money rebuilding FF14 with their own teams like they should have done in the first place, they are releasing shovelware FF games on IOS for quick cash grabs, we have no info on Versus, 13-3 wont be done until Fall, 14 wont be done until Fall at least, they wont localize Bravely Default, they wont localize Type-0, where are the HD collections? Where is a Vita game?

I dont understand how they can do such a good job with Eidos, and such a bad job with their japanese teams, its not a matter of talent or IPs, they just make bad decision after bad decision.

I cant wait for next gen, it will be a clean slate for SE, i like their Luminous Engine, thats a good start, i hope they can get it turned around because i love their talent and IPs.

THIS...THIS... THIS!!! Well said.
#43 Posted by AM-Gamer (4046 posts) -

Thank god, I rarely root for a dev to lose money but Square Enix has made nothing but trash.  FF13 was a linear RPG on rails it was pathetic.  How do we go from great titles like FF7 and FF8 to this garbage. And what do they do?  Give us more lighting, whoopty doo. 

#44 Posted by lamprey263 (24236 posts) -
why bring up FFXIII-2, that's not even accounted for in the current fiscal year, they're tallying up the last 9 months prior to December 31st, about the only noteworthy titles they released in the west were Sleeping Dogs, which people seemed to like but only sold 1.39 million at retail, and Hitman Absolution, which was a pretty decent game. but it only sold 2.83 million copies, and I don't imagine Quantum Conundrum or Heroes of Ruin added to their revenues anyhow, they still have Tomb Raider releasing, which should do okay but don't imagine being a big seller, Square Enix would still be in the red though, this game would have to sell like COD for them to turn a profit this year
#45 Posted by finalfantasy94 (26596 posts) -

why bring up FFXIII-2, that's not even accounted for in the current fiscal year, they're tallying up the last 9 months prior to December 31st, about the only noteworthy titles they released in the west were Sleeping Dogs, which people seemed to like but only sold 1.39 million at retail, and Hitman Absolution, which was a pretty decent game. but it only sold 2.83 million copies, and I don't imagine Quantum Conundrum or Heroes of Ruin added to their revenues anyhow, they still have Tomb Raider releasing, which should do okay but don't imagine being a big seller, Square Enix would still be in the red though, this game would have to sell like COD for them to turn a profit this yearlamprey263

cause some angry people want to be able to go "see see it sucked so bad its killing them. man SE sucks this proves it im glad thier failing cause they made a game I didint like see see" its sad but its true.

#46 Posted by Junsei (698 posts) -

Thank god, I rarely root for a dev to lose money but Square Enix has made nothing but trash. FF13 was a linear RPG on rails it was pathetic. How do we go from great titles like FF7 and FF8 to this garbage. And what do they do? Give us more lighting, whoopty doo.

AM-Gamer

its a really easy answer. almost all of the main people that was involved with those titles are no loner apart of square-enix. come on man I know you knew that

#47 Posted by pelvist (4873 posts) -

let me add to that.

come back when the other half of that profit isn't made by WoW or f2p games where your charged money to put on sparly dresses..lol its sad but thats what hermits do now.

WilliamRLBaker

Square Enix has nothing to do with WoW profits Baker. Come back when you have a question that isnt stupid.

All of you acting like wank games are the reason for this are missing the bigger picture. If it was wank games then there would be similar outcome across all platforms since most of SEs recent major titles are multi-platform and this loss is counted from 9 months ending 21st of December. ( try reading )

The most obvious comeback would be ( and has been ) "because they make crap games" yet their biggest games are quite established and with a very large fan-base, much like Resident Evil is for Capcom, but as crap as they are thats never stopped gamers buying it. The problem with consoles is that far too much money is needed for marketing a product. Publishers like Square Enix spend millions upon millions trying to get console gamers off COD in order to try something new and low and behold, once again for yet another publisher, it wasnt worth it. You need to start buying your games console gamers.

#48 Posted by caryslan2 (2111 posts) -

They need to ditch everything but Eidos Montreal, Crystal D, IO, and the Dragon Quest team. Trust me, I have an MBA.Cherokee_Jack

Taito can stay too.   Bust a Move and Space Invaders have gotten some good games over the last few years:)