Sqare Enix opens new studio specialize in console dev

This topic is locked from further discussion.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

Square Enix officially opens up a new studio that specializes in developing RPGs for consoles only.

Will we be seeing more RPGs from Square this generation?

http://gematsu.com/2014/09/square-enix-opening-new-console-rpg-studio

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

i always get so excited to see the squeenix logo... as publisher.

if they are actually behind the making of the game the squeenix logo is like a warning.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#3 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

For some reason I really love the position names.

gfxpipeline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 gfxpipeline
Member since 2014 • 543 Posts

Oh joy. Even more garbage from this joke of a studio.

Square Enix needs to finish the remaining remasters from its glory days then crawl in a ditch and die.

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

If they pulled Hiroyuki Ito out of their basement he could fill about half of those.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

Square Enix actually has money left?

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

@gfxpipeline said:

Oh joy. Even more garbage from this joke of a studio.

Square Enix needs to finish the remaining remasters from its glory days then crawl in a ditch and die.

this

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

um.....I'm confused here Square enix has almost always been exclusively console or portable anyways....Cellphones? these are relatively new mediums for square enix they've not released many games of them. PC? the support for the PC arena has always been anemic for square enix.

What is the point of opening a console studio when you were always a console studio?

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

I would like to see a new RPG IP for the PS4/XB1/PSVita/3DS. They are so slow at making new games though, so I don't expect anything out of this studio until Fall 2016 at the earliest.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#12 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

They want people specializing in Unity, which is used to make small, lightweight indie (or indie-like) games, so if you are expecting the next Final Fantasy from this studio, you'll be extremely disappointed.

I'd expect something more like Child of Light, which would honestly be okay with me.

Prawephet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Prawephet
Member since 2014 • 385 Posts

@WilliamRLBaker: What was the last console rpg they actually made? FF13-3?

SE has really been developing handheld games almost exclusively for a long while now. What these assholes need to do is listen to their fans screaming and yelling "give us final fantasy 15 and kingdom hearts 3!!!" It's only been 5-10 years since the last full release RPGs from the company. People have been begging for kingdom hearts 3 for 10 years now. Dumbass SE skipped that title for an entire generation of consoles.

Once again. Those stuck up pricks just need to actually give their fans what we've been asking for for the last 10 years.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

After they accepted the Tomb Raider exclusivity deal with Microsoft, I no longer support them.

byhzyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 byhzyy
Member since 2014 • 48 Posts

@Telekill said:

After they accepted the Tomb Raider exclusivity deal with Microsoft, I no longer support them.

after from softwore accepted the bloodborne exclusivity with sony, i will no longer support them

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

@Telekill said:

You must not support a ton of other publishers as well then.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

What would be cool is if they could open a studio that specializes in releasing games.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@Telekill: why?

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@Telekill said:

Seems like a pitiful excuse.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ConanTheStoner

@Telekill said:

Bro, of all the legit reasons to not buy shit from SE anymore, this is the one you pick?

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Telekill

To all those that don't like my post. Tomb Raider was and is a favorite series of mine. They spit in my face for the second time. I won't support them because of that and will only buy their products used.

If you feel that you've been slighted from some bullshit third party exclusivity agreement, I encourage you to boycott whatever developer it is. Not giving these companies our money is the only way for our opinions to be heard.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ConanTheStoner

@Telekill said:

To all those that don't like my post. Tomb Raider was and is a favorite series. They spit in my face for the second time. I won't support them because of that and will only buy their products used.

If you feel that you've been slighted from some bullshit third party exclusivity agreement, I encourage you to boycott whatever developer it is. Not giving these companies our money is the only way for our opinions to be heard.

I guess lol.

I would think that the fact that SE slowly pumped out a AAA turd, followed it up with 2 sequels that nobody wanted, keeps on sleeping on IPs that people do want and has been spending the better part of a decade screwing around with what looks to be another mediocre FF title would have been enough to give up on them.

Timed exclusive though? That shit happens all the time and it's not like SE hasn't been known to shift "loyalties" before.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@Telekill: in what way did they spit in your face?

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#25 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

Why care? They already took money from MS? Some here said it wont go towards rise of the tomb raider. Aren't Square the evils now?

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#26 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

@Telekill: To all those that don't like my post. Tomb Raider was and is a favorite series of mine. They spit in my face for the second time. I won't support them because of that and will only buy their products used.

I agree that is your only action. But spit in your face? No they didn't. Did you think they had a journal of who bought that series on Ps, PC, or xbox? Grow up. Its business. And Sony did the similar with bloodborne. "oh but its a new ip, funded by Sony" bullshit. It plays, sounds, looks like the Souls games, is made by the same creator. This is business. Get emotions out of it.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Telekill

@cainetao11: I'll do as I wish. Deal.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

@Telekill said:

To all those that don't like my post. Tomb Raider was and is a favorite series of mine. They spit in my face for the second time. I won't support them because of that and will only buy their products used.

I guess you didn't get the memo, but Sony pulled the same exclusivity stunt back in the PS1 era with, you guessed it, the Tomb Raider series.

lol at only hating on them now.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#29 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

@Telekill said:

You must hate From software then over the BloodBorne deal.

Mr-Powers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Mr-Powers
Member since 2013 • 508 Posts

There's like three people in here comparing the Tomb Raider 2 deal to Bloodborne, there are probably other examples but that one is incorrect.

Sony Japan co-developed the Demon's Souls IP with From Software, the spiritual successors went multiplat. They are developing another new IP together. The series probably wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for Sony, or at the very least it would be radically different.

The same can't be said about Tomb Raider and MS. MS needed to get a leg up on the competition and something to go against Uncharted, so they made a deal. That's business.

Oh, and lol PC left out again.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

@Blabadon said:

For some reason I really love the position names.

Can you imagine the amount of clunge a title like "Battle Director" would get ya, awwww yeah.

@Telekill said:

Ah you're the same Telekil from the Bungie forums who want's MS to go out of business because of the Tomb Raider deal, i thought you were a System Warrior after reading that tripe, haha.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

@chronoschris said:

@byhzyy said:

@Telekill said:

after from softwore accepted the bloodborne exclusivity with sony, i will no longer support them

Um Bloodborne is a spiritual successor to Demon's Souls which is owned by Sony, there is no hidden deal, fans getting shafted or hidden agenda going on here. Tomb Raider is a completely different story.

It's not really, was exclusive, went multiplat, latest installment is exclusive again. Simples.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#34 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

They want people specializing in Unity, which is used to make small, lightweight indie (or indie-like) games, so if you are expecting the next Final Fantasy from this studio, you'll be extremely disappointed.

I'd expect something more like Child of Light, which would honestly be okay with me.

Mobile ports inc.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Make another Chrono (Cross or Trigger) game SE, you know you want to unless you hate money being thrown at you.

Avatar image for littlestreakier
littlestreakier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 littlestreakier
Member since 2004 • 2950 Posts

@nini200 said:

Square Enix actually has money left?

probably using the money they got from MS :p

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#37 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

Hopefully this new studio can find a way to finish FFXV already. 8 years coming up on 9 years is way to long for a game to be in development hell. I also expect a Wii U SE game.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#38 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts
@Ballroompirate said:

Make another Chrono (Cross or Trigger) game SE, you know you want to unless you hate money being thrown at you.

Remember this tech demo? Remember how, after it was shown, people really expected SE to remake FF7 with modern graphics? It never happened. It never will. Square Enix doesn't give a shit about their fans.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#39 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

@Telekill said:

That's kind of a silly reason.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#40 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

@treedoor said:

I guess you didn't get the memo, but Sony pulled the same exclusivity stunt back in the PS1 era with, you guessed it, the Tomb Raider series.

lol at only hating on them now.

That, and a bunch of other IP's. Jeez, this hypocrisy around money-hatting needs to die.

Alcapello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Alcapello
Member since 2014 • 1396 Posts

Finally, sound like a smaller funded project that idn't indy.