Splitscreen or local coop games for next gen

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by mannyboo22 (319 posts) -

Hey guys. I was thinking earlier today about which system I should get next gen. I know it seems almost pointless to ask here as fanboyswill just shout out their console of choice, but I'll try anyways. I'm kind of leaning towards the ps4 due to the price difference but I think the determining factor will be which console has the better collection of split screen and local coop games. What games with local play have been announced. I'm not just interested launch lineup but in general. Thanks in advance. Also sorry for any typos. I'm on mobile and this site is crap on mobile. :P

#2 Edited by ActicEdge (24492 posts) -

Its far to early to make a decision based off of this feature. Might as well just enjoy current gen if that's the feature you want and just wait a few years.

#3 Posted by Sushiglutton (5357 posts) -

I think it's better to look back than forward. I would go through Ps3+X360 libraries to see which one offered the most local splitscreen games in your favourite genres. Launch lineups don't really mean all that much.

#4 Posted by mannyboo22 (319 posts) -

@ActicEdge: why is it too early? Just want to know which games offering split screen and/or coop have been announced.

#5 Posted by ActicEdge (24492 posts) -

@mannyboo22 said:

@ActicEdge: why is it too early? Just want to know which games offering split screen and/or coop have been announced.

Can't you just do that research then? Its a pretty easy google search. The systems are extremely young and not out, you won't get a good grasp on the type of games with this sort of support for the next 5-7 years from what's announced. That's my point

#6 Posted by Netret0120 (2255 posts) -

Splitscreen ftw

#7 Posted by mannyboo22 (319 posts) -

@ActicEdge: the point is that there's information all over the place( I know how to Google search) and it's easier to ask those informed about it already which you cleary aren't so why bother replying? At first it seemed like you were being helpful then you turned in to a tool.

#8 Posted by ActicEdge (24492 posts) -

@mannyboo22 said:

@ActicEdge: the point is that there's information all over the place( I know how to Google search) and it's easier to ask those informed about it already which you cleary aren't so why bother replying? At first it seemed like you were being helpful then you turned in to a tool.

My original point was if you want split screen and coop as reasons to buy a system, what's currently announced isn't a good sample. I think it was pretty obvious that was my point. But hey, if you want everyone else to do your research for you, that's cool too.

#9 Posted by mannyboo22 (319 posts) -

@Sushiglutton: Well I only had a ps3 but the Xbox seemed to have a better library of couch coop games but I have no first hand experience with them. Might go with xbone but like Arcticedge said and wait a bit . Thanks.

#10 Posted by PAL360 (27009 posts) -

Very few, if any, next gen games have that opinion, which is sad. Splitscreen should be standard for shooters.

#11 Posted by mannyboo22 (319 posts) -

@ActicEdge: sorry I came off as a prick I just felt your "Google it" remark came off a bit condescending. I get where you're coming from. I just have no internet at home and am using my phone (with crappy internet service) so I was just looking for a comprehensive list of sorts to avoid the hassle. Thanks though I probably will wait a bit later on to make my choice.

#12 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (14652 posts) -

I here the Wii U has a few local multiplayer games, technically it is next gen :D

#13 Posted by heiq (6 posts) -

hi there,

same problem here.

I think i will get the xbox one. Nut i cant find any game in the next few months that i can buy with, to play with my girl friend. So what game(s) should i get.

The most interesting thing is local co-op, and more interesting is a game that supports the local gaming without splitscreen.

Do u know "Obscure" on xbox classic?

That kind of game rocks with mates on the same couch!

#14 Posted by TruthBToldShow (328 posts) -

Its way too early know if one lineup will cater to offline co-op or not. Sadly, more pushing towards online is keeping splut-screen down

One ps4 feature to note: the light-bar on the DS4 will allow the ps4 to see which side players are seated and will arrange split-screen sides to adjust accordingly.

(IF you have the new ps-eye)

#15 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (14652 posts) -

Perhaps the next gen Kinect will come with Kinect Adventures/Sports extreme. Theres bound to be some local multiplayer there. Too bad the Kinect is barely a Gaming peripheral anymore, its gona be a security measure, DRM like you've never seen it before. :D

#16 Edited by spliopgames (6 posts) -

We recently released a video on this topic!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEl0M9MXld0

#17 Posted by Basinboy (11274 posts) -

Personally I have little use for a local multiplayer game. And in general, it consumes a good number of resources and slashes overall performance.

The only games that really make sense anymore are fighters/brawlers. Shooters are undermined by one crucial feature: Screen-peeking - it's for p*ssies.

#18 Posted by getyeryayasout (7760 posts) -

I was splitscreening Earth Defense Force 2017 earlier today. Gaming is just that much better with your buddies sitting next to you. Hopefully it continues to be supported on the new systems and isn't phased out.