Splatoon Might Be The Next Big Nintendo Multiplayer IP

• 69 results
#1 Edited by charizard1605 (62724 posts) -
Loading Video...

Splatoon looks amazing- the multiplayer shooter from Nintendo that comes with its own twist looks like the most genuinely fresh game in years, and not just because it's a new IP, but also because of how mechanically inventive it is. With the game's strong focus on multiplayer (online was the star of the show, but the developers have also confirmed local and a single player campaign), Splatoon just feels like it will be the next big Nintendo multiplayer property. You know- like Super Smash Bros. and Mario Kart.

In any case, I'm very excited for this game, and cannot wait for it to hit next year.

#2 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (8140 posts) -

Maybe. The graphics are bad and I'm not a huge fan of limiting the online to 4 vs 4. It just seems like having 4 teams of 4 would work better for a game like this. I hadn't heard of the single player campaign and I might gain some interest if that looks good. The game does look a lot different than anything else that has ever been tried. It could end up being great.

#3 Posted by brimmul777 (1665 posts) -

lol.Nintendo.lol.

#4 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (19082 posts) -

No blood? No violence? No way for me to be a bigot, racist, or anything else? No thanks. I'll go back to playing COD and Titanfall.

#5 Posted by charizard1605 (62724 posts) -

@brimmul777 said:

lol.Nintendo.lol.

Your insight is staggering.

@PurpleMan5000 said:

Maybe. The graphics are bad and I'm not a huge fan of limiting the online to 4 vs 4. It just seems like having 4 teams of 4 would work better for a game like this. I hadn't heard of the single player campaign and I might gain some interest if that looks good. The game does look a lot different than anything else that has ever been tried. It could end up being great.

The graphics are obviously not done yet- we have more than a year to go before the game releases, they will obviously be worked on. The idea with more teams playing on the map is intriguing though, although it might have already been tried and discarded as too unbalanced.

#6 Edited by xWoW_Rougex (2790 posts) -

I've said it another thread but it feels a bit weak on content so far? Are there gonna be other weapons? Customizations? Leveling up? Many maps? Maybe other goals? More teams?

So far it appears to be quite simple? 4 vs 4, few maps, all with the same weapons. It could get boring real quick.

Edit: Didn't watch video, 33 minutes of gameplay? no thx

#7 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19050 posts) -

If only it was Multiplatform ! :(

#8 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (5811 posts) -

maybe but i can see kids getting confused by the game

#9 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (8140 posts) -

@xWoW_Rougex said:

I've said it another thread but it feels a bit weak on content so far? Are there gonna be other weapons? Customizations? Leveling up? Many maps? Maybe other goals? More teams?

So far it appears to be quite simple? 4 vs 4, few maps, all with the same weapons. It could get boring real quick.

Yeah, I agree with this. The gameplay that is shown intrigues me, but I would need a lot more info to get really excited about this. What has been shown would warrant a $15 eshop purchase to me, but not a $60 retail release.

#10 Edited by charizard1605 (62724 posts) -

@xWoW_Rougex said:

It's more than a year out lol, this was just the first reveal. It's obviously going to have more, but to answer your questions:

• Yes, it has multiple maps
  • Yes, it has multiple kinds of weapons
  • Multiple game modes
  • No clue about customizations or leveling up, but this seems to be a classical arena style shooter, so it might not have loadouts and perks and shit

#11 Posted by Heil68 (48430 posts) -

eh, doesn't really grab my attention or interest.

#12 Edited by 93BlackHawk93 (6438 posts) -
@charizard1605 said:

@xWoW_Rougex said:

It's more than a year out lol, this was just the first reveal. It's obviously going to have more, but to answer your questions:

• Yes, it has multiple maps
  • Yes, it has multiple kinds of weapons
  • Multiple game modes
  • No clue about customizations or leveling up, but this seems to be a classical arena style shooter, so it might not have loadouts and perks and shit

The only thing they have said about customizations is that you can change the Inklings (squid girls) clothes.

On another note, that footage doesn't do the graphics justice. It looks so much better in the trailer

#13 Edited by wiifan001 (18536 posts) -

What's appealing about it? It's just a quantity paint contest.

#14 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (9927 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

eh, doesn't really grab my attention or interest.

This.

#15 Posted by Pikminmaniac (9533 posts) -

Not interested... I was actually a bit annoyed by how much time it took up towards the end of the E3 direct.

#16 Edited by SolidGame_basic (19655 posts) -

meh I would take Goldeneye HD over this

#17 Posted by Raptor_Herc (315 posts) -

Looks promising, although I too would be interested in knowing whether there will be any single player game modes as well as whether there'll be different multiplayer modes (CTF, King of the Hill, etc.).

#18 Edited by TheEroica (14620 posts) -

I watched the reveal a few times and while I think that it's a refreshing break from the standard fare competitive multiplayer, I don't know that even if executed well it has the broad appeal to gain a foothold on the masses... It certainly could provide a strong niche following though... obviously all speculation though.

#19 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (34367 posts) -

I don't see it having Mario Kart/SSB levels of success, but hopefully it can manage to do well regardless.

#20 Edited by GamingGod999 (3134 posts) -

Seriously? lol.

#21 Posted by MonsieurX (32059 posts) -

I just hope it won't be priced over 60$

#22 Posted by enzyme36 (1700 posts) -

I really enjoyed Tag mode in the ol Tony Hawk Pro Skater games... this reminds me of that but at a much better scale. Should be real fun.

#23 Posted by santoron (8361 posts) -

Not even worth thinking about now. It's still going to be an upcoming title Next E3, so we can see how it's shaping up then. Nothing about it so far stands out as a hit to me. If Nintendo wasn't making it I doubt anyone in SW would be talking it up at all.

#24 Posted by mattykovax (22693 posts) -

I will wait and see.

Pros: maybe an online game I might enjoy that is not tacked on co-op, or the COD type competitions and jerks that are why I hardly play online in the first place.

Cons: its on Nintendo. the way they have treated online up until this point can their online infrastructure handle this if it became big? and can I just get on and play and find my friends, or do I have to jump through hoops and friends code type bullshit.

#25 Posted by OhJayDubya (1172 posts) -

Game looks a load of fun but seen too little to make any kind of opinion on it. I'll wait until more details likes modes, weapons and maps but nice to see something this original for once.

#26 Posted by ocidax (769 posts) -

One of the most interesting concepts of the E3. That game can be big.

#27 Posted by Shottayouth13- (6879 posts) -

Nah, this game will bomb to high hell.

#28 Posted by Maroxad (8979 posts) -

I dont know if it will be big or even popular, but one thing is certain, I am pretty interested in it.

1. From what I hear, there will be no (gameplay changing) level ups or perks or other nonsense ruining online FPS.
  2. The game mode looks interesting to say the least, plenty of opportunity for players to make comebacks and seems to allow teams to employ multiple strategies.
  3. The whole squid thing opens up a lot of gameplay opportunities.

The game has a lot of potential, all it needs now is tweaks and more than content than one map.

#30 Edited by PinkieWinkie (1454 posts) -

Why are Nintendo games all so kiddy?

Its like they dont want long time fans. Just appealing to the same 8-14 year old crowd every gen.

#31 Posted by aroxx_ab (11048 posts) -

@PinkieWinkie said:

Why are Nintendo games all so kiddy?

Its like they dont want long time fans. Just appealing to the same 8-14 year old crowd every gen.

Yeah you start gaming with Nintendo then you grow up but Nintendont. But if you love colorful cartoon kiddy games you are in heaven when playing Nintendo games.

#32 Edited by f50p90 (3767 posts) -

It looks like a $10 or $15 title... Sure those can be great and even win some GOTYs but I don't see any lasting appeal here

#33 Posted by lamprey263 (26138 posts) -

I have doubts, I mean it looks like a really fun multiplayer game, but online multiplayer isn't what I imagine to be most peoples first though when picking up a Wii U or its games.

#34 Posted by nervmeister (15348 posts) -

Splatoon and Evolve are so far the only two unique multiplayer offerings I've seen in E3.

#35 Edited by Wild_man_22 (825 posts) -

I'm watching this game closely. I really love what I have seen so far, but I'm cautiously optimistic given nintendos approach to online gaming so far.

This game is a whole nother beast when compared to mario kart. And will more than likely live or die by how fully featured the online multiplayer is.

Worse case scenario I think splatoon becomes a good learning experience for Nintendo, when it comes to making a successful online game. Best case Nintendo has another hit on its hand and I end up loving it.

I'm excited to hear more about it either way.

#36 Posted by nethernova (4323 posts) -

Another Splatoon thread?

But yeah, I can see it getting a solid 4/10 here.

#37 Edited by seanmcloughlin (38219 posts) -

Splatoon and super smash bros make me want a WiiU

#38 Posted by Speak_Low (1281 posts) -

Three threads on the first page, just for this little game? Too bad it's still going to flop

It won't be anything close to the popularity of Mario Kart and SSBU because it won't even sell much better than the underselling Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101. This game has "ignored niche title" all over it. And I'm going to laugh if they make this $59.99 in stores.

Perhaps desperate Nintendo can make a deal with Home Depot and bundle this game with paint cans

#39 Posted by Gue1 (11600 posts) -

I don't see "mario" in the title so I expect another flop.

#40 Posted by silversix_ (16614 posts) -

that is VERY sad compared to games available on other systems such as destiny

#41 Posted by UnbiasedPoster (1134 posts) -

Not unless they rename it: Mario's Splatoon.

#42 Posted by nutcrackr (12890 posts) -

Might sell 300-500k lifetime.

#43 Posted by PhazonBlazer (11994 posts) -

If it's like a $20 eShop game I might get it.

#44 Edited by super600 (31213 posts) -

@nutcrackr said:

Might sell 300-500k lifetime.

I don't think nintendo is going to treat this game like wonderful101. They will treat it like one of the big IP's most likely and it may break a million . They showed this game a lot during the treehouse live stream.So I think they care about growing a userbase that will be interested in this type of game. They may actually advertise the game when it comes out or during holiday 2015.

#45 Edited by SexyJazzCat (1636 posts) -

Highly doubt it.

#46 Posted by finalstar2007 (26157 posts) -

It looks nice but i dont see it getting you addicted to it for more than an hour i mean it seems like one of those games that you hold R1 during the entire match with the hopes that you get someone in the process and those kind of games get old really fast.. Also 4 vs 4 is small for being a console shooter.

#47 Edited by mehgat0n (34 posts) -

Graphics are superb, 60 fps video available here.

Also seems like there will be a high skill ceiling, judging by this gif:

I don't think Nintendo could have presented an "online shooter new IP" any better than this honestly. We'll see if they can translate potential to mass popularity.

#48 Posted by R4gn4r0k (17575 posts) -

Is it free to play ?

#49 Posted by FreedomFreeLife (3186 posts) -

GAME NEEDS RANK SYSTEM OR NO BUY!!!

#50 Posted by mehgat0n (34 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

Is it free to play ?

Fully fledged physical release according to the developers in charge of the game.