Splatoon deserves more attention as a new IP

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hotdiddykong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By hotdiddykong
Member since 2007 • 2099 Posts

Some of you might have already known about the game Splatoon from Nintendo's E3, and its really great

Lets grab a quick checklist of shit people are constantly asking Nintendo for:

New IP? Check

A Genre Nintendo hasnt explored? Check (Multiplayer Arena Shooter)

Adding that Nintendo innovative idea twist? Check

Developed by a core team? Check, the newest members of Nintendo EAD.

Itll be a damn shame if a game like this goes under the radar, it looks extremely fun and from the Nintendo Treehouse Livestream, the booths were constantly filled, yet there are barely any game sites reported on it or gave it a headline.

Why?

It didnt even gain a nominee for anything regarding E3, its easily one of the more interesting and frankly more unique and innovative shooters out there this E3.

This game really needs more love.

erazor51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 erazor51
Member since 2003 • 339 Posts

Been playing counter strike for years and this game makes me want to get a wii u. This game looks like pure fun!

nervmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 nervmeister
Member since 2005 • 15377 Posts

Yes. I give due credit to this game for doing something different for once.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

If it wants more love then it better go Multiplatform !

BOOOOOYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAA ! ! !

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52425 Posts

Yeah, this game looks rad.

Super rad.

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

@nervmeister said:

This.

Could be a new hit for Nintendo.

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 bulby_g
Member since 2005 • 1861 Posts

I think this looks great, very interested in it. Hopefully it gets more attention in the press when it's next mentioned after the barrage of news from E3 is over.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#8 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

Some details:

• Online 4 vs. 4 multiplayer.
  • Local multiplayer.
  • You can play with the gyroscope camera or just use the right stick.
  • You can customize the Inklings clothes and weapons.
  • There will be more than one multiplayer mode.
  • They want to add a Single Player Campaign.
  • There will be some sort of communication.
Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

if it was on xbl arcade or psn i would buy it but wiiu? lol

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#10 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

This does look extremely interesting.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

It looks like a lot of fun, but man I really don't care for the art style too much.

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts

Not sure why but I don't really like the trailer....... my interest rose when I watched people actually playing it tho. :P

What's really cool about the game is the mobility when you swim in your own ink.

60 fps footage of Splatoon The player sucks tho. He's not using the squid mobility enough.:P

Not impressive graphically but still looks really clean and smooth.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

It's been getting a lot of attention.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

This board is the only one not going crazy for this game. There are many people calling it best of show. It looks like fun but could get lost in the mountain of AAA budget games.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Lulu_Lulu

@m_machine024

And thats what "True Next-Gen" is all about ! ;)

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#16 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

It looks really fun. Definitely something to look forward to.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@GoldenElementXL said:

This board is the only one not going crazy for this game. There are many people calling it best of show. It looks like fun but could get lost in the mountain of AAA budget games.

This board has been pretty excited about Splatoon since its initial announcement too.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Lulu_Lulu

I think we may be getting alil too excited..... Theres an extremely high chance its going free to play with Megatransactions !

Splatoon maybe great, but will it survive that ?

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19  Edited By yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I give credit for a new IP and something different, but for some reason the game just doesn't appeal to me. I think my co-op/online shooter days are behind me for the most part.

daveg1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#20  Edited By daveg1
Member since 2005 • 20405 Posts

how? it looks as crap as nintendos digital show at e3..only good thing they showed was the new zelda game which does look pretty damn good!

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Looks interesting, but it seems Nintendo's putting the cart before the horse when they go on releasing a multiplayer based shooter yet their online infrastructure lags years in the past.

sirk1264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#22 sirk1264
Member since 2003 • 6242 Posts

Definitely keeping my eye on this game. Looks like it can be a lot of fun. Definitely love the new take of spraying ink on the ground to give your team a tactical advantage on the battle field.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 freedomfreak
@93BlackHawk93 said:
  • There will be some sort of communication.

lol

I can see where this is going.

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts

@MirkoS77: Not really. Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection (Wii, DS) lagged years behind. The new Nintendo Network (Wii U, 3DS) is doing quite a good job and is improving all the time.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Lulu_Lulu

@sirk1264

You can spray it on the walls too. ;)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@MirkoS77 said:

Looks interesting, but it seems Nintendo's putting the cart before the horse when they go on releasing a multiplayer based shooter yet their online infrastructure lags years in the past.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Nintendo's online infrastructure, it supports everything, the issue is whether individual developers choose to implement the specific features into their games.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MirkoS77

@charizard1605 said:

@MirkoS77 said:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Nintendo's online infrastructure, it supports everything, the issue is whether individual developers choose to implement the specific features into their games.

Infrastructure's the wrong word I suppose. Of course developers can implement whatever features they want, but why doesn't Nintendo install a universal standard (such that Live and PSN have) so that developers can easily plug into it and gamers know what they're getting? To not do this leaves the customer confused and makes them have to rediscover and remember with each game how it works. It's a poor, disjointed, and inconsistent method that's a hassle for developers and consumers alike.....an overall bad approach to online. When you look at the back of a Sony or MS game and see the "PSN" and "Live" logos, you know exactly what you're getting. With Nintendo you don't. Online functionality standards should be determined and implemented by the platform maker, not the software developer.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Lulu_Lulu

@MirkoS77

PSN and Xbox Live has been a pain in the ass of developers for a while now.... I think developers would appreciate the oppertunity to slide in their own online system in there just like they do on the PC with Steam, Origin, Uplay, Battlenet, etc.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

@Pffrbt said:

It looks like a lot of fun, but man I really don't care for the art style too much.

Yeah.

I know what they are going for, and actually it does look fun. But at the same time, it also look like an indy arcade game or something. Hardly a game that is on my radar - especially since I have no plans for a Wii-U.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

@freedomfreak:

Don't.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 2Chalupas

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@MirkoS77

PSN and Xbox Live has been a pain in the ass of developers for a while now.... I think developers would appreciate the oppertunity to slide in their own online system in there just like they do on the PC with Steam, Origin, Uplay, Battlenet, etc.

Oh. So that's why Wii-U games have so many downgraded or nonexistent online modes.

Makes sense.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Lulu_Lulu

@2Chalupas

Sony and Microsoft have forgotten the majority of gamers prefer to play together with people in the same room not over the net... I honestly couldn't care just how bad Nintendos infrustructure is because I'm not that desperate for company.

And since why are people using the word "downgraded" more and more lately ?

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MirkoS77

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@MirkoS77

Well I can't speak for developers, but I do know enough about software development to know that online functions are basically prewritten pieces of software that developers can easily plug-in to their code that will then offer a standard known to players. Similar to using preexisting texture libraries, sound effect libraries, etc. So nothing has to be done from scratch. It not only saves developers time and effort, but brings familiarity to the user's end as well.

Even if it doesn't help developers it still remains a pain on the user's end to have to relearn and remember for each new game. Steam, Origin, Uplay, Battlenet, they all go towards exemplifying my point--they're essentially just a rule book that all the company's respective software has to abide by. None of those services are only for one game, but for many. All EA games use Origin's rules, all Blizzard's use Battlenet's, etc. It's stupid to do otherwise and Nintendo really needs to get on top of this.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

rule34 seems to be giving it plenty of attention.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60710 Posts

@GoldenElementXL said:

I'm afraid it will.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23898 Posts

@Bigboi500 said:

It's been getting a lot of attention.

Indeed, it got some of the most attention from any Nintendo game on par with Zelda and Super Smash Bros. On some communities, it got even more attention than those 2 games.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 2Chalupas

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@2Chalupas

Sony and Microsoft have forgotten the majority of gamers prefer to play together with people in the same room not over the net... I honestly couldn't care just how bad Nintendos infrustructure is because I'm not that desperate for company.

And since why are people using the word "downgraded" more and more lately ?

That's not even close to true. Might be true for children gamers where the parents might not want them going online, not so much for adult gamers (and by adult, I just mean anyone that can drive).Typical gamers want to go online and play not just with 1 or 2 people, but with larger groups of people (i.e. online shooters, MMO's, sports games with leagues, etc).

How many people in their 20's sit in their home and play local couch co-op? Maybe if your wife is a gamer, or if you have a bunch of kids and want to play family games, but that's about it. Normal adults aren't having "LAN parties" or having "Smash bros" parties to play local. They are instead, playing online, and have been for years. It is not that Sony and Microsoft have forgotten anything, it's that they've moved with the times to cover these audiences, and Nintendo has not.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 freedomfreak
@princessgomez92 said:

Don't.

"I'm using motion controls!"

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@MirkoS77 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@MirkoS77 said:

Infrastructure's the wrong word I suppose. Of course developers can implement whatever features they want, but why doesn't Nintendo install a universal standard (such that Live and PSN have) so that developers can easily plug into it and gamers know what they're getting? To not do this leaves the customer confused and makes them have to rediscover and remember with each game how it works. It's a poor, disjointed, and inconsistent method that's a hassle for developers and consumers alike.....an overall bad approach to online. When you look at the back of a Sony or MS game and see the "PSN" and "Live" logos, you know exactly what you're getting. With Nintendo you don't. Online functionality standards should be determined and implemented by the platform maker, not the software developer.

Fair enough- I just wanted to clarify that that stuff exists. You have universal IDs, friend lists, voice chat, text chat, video chat, Miiverse support with screenshot, video, achievements, and level sharing, you have a lag free online environment, you have full support and access to releasing patches and DLC without having to go through a second certification process for those (which Steam, Xbox Live, and PSN all necessitate, btw), it's basically a very well done and full featured online network. On the other hand, you are right in claiming that Nintendo does not enforce universal standards- they have created all this framework, but they either mandate nor enforce any of it. They leave it to developers to use as much or as little of it as they want. In a sense, I suppose it's a more development friendly approach, but it does lead to a more disjointed experience for the end user.

Regardless, as a flagship in house title, I expect top of the line online support for Splatoon.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

It doesn't look like something that I would enjoy, but I'm glad it exists. The new IP from Nintendo that has me most excited is Code Name: STEAM. I'm also pretty stoked for some Captain Toad.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Lulu_Lulu

@2Chalupas

Don't kid yourself Adult games may play online but its certainly not because they want to especially where sports games are concerned. Also adults have LANs all the time infact in my country it only adults who do LAN, kid would rather go play outside with their friends, game is a game to them whether its under the sun or on screen.

Not that it matters.... Kid gamers are gamers too since when has age been a factor in this topic ? Are they less important because your big and they're small ? Why don't you take a look around, you're in System Wars.... Wana gues how many of the users bickering in here are actually children ?

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

It looks really damn fun, I'd love to give it a go.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#43 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

Looks incredibly fun and unique. It's a definite purchase for me.

sam890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 sam890
Member since 2005 • 1119 Posts

Not my type of game I rarely enjoy FPSs and the art style.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Lulu_Lulu

@sam890

TPS.... Big Difference !

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By 2Chalupas

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@2Chalupas

Don't kid yourself Adult games may play online but its certainly not because they want to especially where sports games are concerned. Also adults have LANs all the time infact in my country it only adults who do LAN, kid would rather go play outside with their friends, game is a game to them whether its under the sun or on screen.

Not that it matters.... Kid gamers are gamers too since when has age been a factor in this topic ? Are they less important because your big and they're small ? Why don't you take a look around, you're in System Wars.... Wana gues how many of the users bickering in here are actually children ?

I didn't say they were "less important". I'm just explaining why Nintendo makes the decisions they do. It's pretty obvious. They CLEARLY go after the 6-13 demographic which is less "online oriented" for obvious reasons. Whereas Microsoft and Sony are going for the 15-25 demographic which is all about being online and connected. That doesn't mean much older people can't enjoy Nintendo games, or that you don't have younger people online playing Call of Duty or GTA V even though they really shouldn't. Obviously that will happen regardless, and there's millions playing these games .

But when you look at what Nintendo does, with the limited focus on online, the extreme content control of online, obviously they are more focused on making it "safe" for a much younger audience than the other consoles are going for.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 MirkoS77

@charizard1605 said:

@MirkoS77 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@MirkoS77 said:

Fair enough- I just wanted to clarify that that stuff exists. You have universal IDs, friend lists, voice chat, text chat, video chat, Miiverse support with screenshot, video, achievements, and level sharing, you have a lag free online environment, you have full support and access to releasing patches and DLC without having to go through a second certification process for those (which Steam, Xbox Live, and PSN all necessitate, btw), it's basically a very well done and full featured online network. On the other hand, you are right in claiming that Nintendo does not enforce universal standards- they have created all this framework, but they either mandate nor enforce any of it. They leave it to developers to use as much or as little of it as they want. In a sense, I suppose it's a more development friendly approach, but it does lead to a more disjointed experience for the end user.

Regardless, as a flagship in house title, I expect top of the line online support for Splatoon.

I'd agree that they have the potential of a full-featured online platform, but as is can't agree it's well done, much less very. And I suspect it probably frustrates developers more than anything. I'm sure many want a simple system they can plug their games into. Nintendo needs to standardize it.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Lulu_Lulu

@2Chalupas

No they don't. You're judging games by their facade and not by their gameplay.....

Whats really is you actually believe playing games with nudity, violence and language some how makes you mature...... The age rating system doesn't determine whether something is geared to ward children.... It tells if something is appropriate. But level of maturity is not implied.....

You must be really thick in the head if you actually believe playing a TPS with a deep and profound story somehow negates the but load of sensless violence that occurs with in the the gameplay....

The Wii U is just a console dude theres no reason to try to paint any of its features or lack there of as an indicator for which age group its geared towards..... And as far as I'm concerned its kids who populate the online scene...... Either that or Man Children.

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

@Suppaman100 said:

@nervmeister said:

This.

Could be a new hit for Nintendo.

I agree.. but I can't see this being a $60 title.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23898 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

voice chat, text chat, video chat, you have a lag free online environment, you have full support and access to releasing patches and DLC without having to go through a second certification process for those (which Steam, Xbox Live, and PSN all necessitate, btw)

Really?

the 16th (when my Wii U arrives) can't come soon enough.