Splatoon Crosses 1.6 Million Units Sold Worldwide

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Nintendo's third person shooter, Splatoon, has sold 1.62 million units worldwide, making it one of the strongest new IP debuts of this generation, and ahead of big name, anticipated new IP debuts such as Bloodborne and Project CARS. The fact that this happened on Wii U makes this all the more impressive.

With Splatoon continuing to sell, and continuing to enjoy a very robust online community, I wonder what the next shifted goalpost of detractors will be? First it wasn't going to sell, then it was going to die out in a few weeks, now none of that has happened, and the game continues to grow and sustain its userbase. What next? Can we just agree that Splatoon is indeed a success?

And what a well deserved success, at that, too. The upcoming August update should make it even better.

SOURCE

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11792 Posts

squidderific!

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Good, I hope this means Nintendo goes yeah Codename Steam didn't do so hot, but since this did we should do new things.

I'd love to actually see what a Miyamoto, or a Retro Studios, or Aunoma, or Sakurai, the mario kart team, next level games, intelligent systems (more than one new ip please) and all those other Nintendo teams actually do something new.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

Further, Wii U units have sold over ten million units.

I have to wonder though, could Iwata's death have any impact on these sales (like Michael Jackson's music spiking up in sales after he passed)?

Cheleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Cheleman
Member since 2012 • 8198 Posts

who the **** buys these games?

besides you char, of course -____-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@nintendoboy16 said:

I have to wonder though, could Iwata's death have any impact on these sales (like Michael Jackson's music spiking up in sales after he passed)?

No, since these sales are for the period ended June 30, which is before Iwata's death.

Also, man, I find the entire sentiment to be in bad taste, but that's just me.

@jg4xchamp said:

Good, I hope this means Nintendo goes yeah Codename Steam didn't do so hot, but since this did we should do new things.

I'd love to actually see what a Miyamoto, or a Retro Studios, or Aunoma, or Sakurai, the mario kart team, next level games, intelligent systems (more than one new ip please) and all those other Nintendo teams actually do something new.

They might, Nintendo Garage is now a thing, so we should see what they have up their sleeves.

I mean, Sakurai already tried something new, Kid Icarus Uprising was pretty ace. But yeah, it'll be nice to see Nntendo bring new stuff to the market as well as develop their older brands, especially when their newer stuff is more Splatoon than Wii Music.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Desmonic  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

Nintendo's third person shooter, Splatoon, has sold 1.62 million units worldwide, making it one of the strongest new IP debuts of this generation, and ahead of big name, anticipated new IP debuts such as Bloodborne and Project CARS. The fact that this happened on Wii U makes this all the more impressive.

etter.

SOURCE

That seems like jumping the shark. We haven't got any sort of update on those two games outside the inital week/month (not sure we even got that for project Cars actually).

They could be ahead or they couldn't. For Bloodborne (since it's a Sony owned IP) we know that updates for sales will be few and far in between. Sony tends to only give out data when big milestones are reached. Heck for Killzone:Shadow Fall (for example) it was Guerrilla doing all of that, despite selling 2.3+ million units.

---------

In any case, great sales. Wonder what would happen if Ninty actually tried to market this stuff....

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Desmonic said:
@charizard1605 said:

etter.

SOURCE

That seems like jumping the shark. We haven't got any sort of update on those two games outside the inital week/month (not sure we even got that for project Cars actually).

They could be ahead or they couldn't. For Bloodborne (since it's a Sony owned IP) we know that updates for sales will be few and far in between. Sony tends to only give out data when big milestones are reached. Heck for Killzone it was Guerrilla, despite selling 2.3+ million units.

---------

In any case, great sales. Wonder what would happen if Ninty actually tried to market this stuff....

If they had hit any new milestones, we would have received updates- especially given how quick Sony is to give updates for its stuff this generation. The fact that we haven't indicates that they don't have much to share.

Project CARS sold 1 million in three weeks, that was an official report we got a little while after the game launched.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jg4xchamp

@charizard1605 said:

@jg4xchamp said:

They might, Nintendo Garage is now a thing, so we should see what they have up their sleeves.

I mean, Sakurai already tried something new, Kid Icarus Uprising was pretty ace. But yeah, it'll be nice to see Nntendo bring new stuff to the market as well as develop their older brands, especially when their newer stuff is more Splatoon than Wii Music.

Okay Wii Music sucks, but I don't even mind when Nintendo does that. It's fine if they do newer things that are marketed to a broader audience, but I'd like the studios that are meant to cater to the enthusiast to also do newer things. You would think at some point when they spent 3 of the last 4 console gens getting their asses kicked in hardware sales someone would think, maybe we need more than just Mario, Zelda, and blah blah.

They have way too many resources, and nevermind the ridiculous amount of talent under that umbrella to not do newer things. Albeit maybe the first thing they need to figure out is catching up to the rest of the industry when it comes to basic online features in their game.

For the record that doesn't mean they stop their old franchises, just also do new things.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

@charizard1605 said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

No, since these sales are for the period ended June 30, which is before Iwata's death.

Also, man, I find the entire sentiment to be in bad taste, but that's just me.

I was just asking out of curiosity. Not to offend anyone. Sheesh...

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Desmonic  Moderator

@charizard1605: Not true. Like I said, besides initial updates they haven't given any sort of update on software. Take the example above. Killzone: ShadowFall. Sold at least 2.3 million copies (likely still their single best selling exclusive right now). We know that because Guerrila said so, not Sony (aka, no "official Sony statement" like the hardware updates get).

So, again, that seems like jumping the shark. Just sayin'.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52424 Posts

Squid lolis.

A gap in the market that Nintendo took care of.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Desmonic  Moderator

@freedomfreak said:

Squid lolis.

A gap in the market that Nintendo took care of.

I have a feeling you have been doing some...."research".... >.>....

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jg4xchamp

@Desmonic said:

@charizard1605: Not true. Like I said, besides initial updates they haven't given any sort of update on software. Take the example above. Killzone: ShadowFall. Sold at least 2.3 million copies (likely still their single best selling exclusive right now). We know that because Guerrila said so, not Sony (aka, no "official Sony statement" like the hardware updates get).

So, again, that seems like jumping the shark. Just sayin'.

I mean lets be real, Chaz's biggest issue is that his statement comes off as a clear statement, and not the conjecture it absolutely is. Even if it has some justification for it.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45061 Posts

@Desmonic said:
@charizard1605 said:

etter.

SOURCE

They could be ahead or they couldn't. For Bloodborne (since it's a Sony owned IP) we know that updates for sales will be few and far in between. Sony tends to only give out data when big milestones are reached. Heck for Killzone:Shadow Fall (for example) it was Guerrilla doing all of that, despite selling 2.3+ million units.

---------

You mean jumping the gun. Jumping the shark is a totally different phrase lol.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Desmonic: The developers would have updated us then, like Guerrilla did, then.

Regardless, going by last given numbers, the statement holds factually true. With the information we have, it holds accurate. Shouldn't be an issue, honestly.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56040 Posts

Move your body Squid kids, were gonna celebrate 1.6 Million Units Sold Worldwide :D

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 freedomfreak

@Desmonic: Deary no lol, but I've bumped into it on other message boards.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Desmonic  Moderator

@charizard1605: Yes, because FromSoftware is the sort of studio that shares stuff all the time! It too them 3 Souls games (counting ports and remakes) to share the damn totals of the series :P

No idea about the PCars studio though.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Desmonic  Moderator

@freedomfreak said:

@Desmonic: Deary no lol, but I've bumped into it on other message boards.

Yeah... I'm sure you "bumped" into it lol

@SolidGame_basic said:

You mean jumping the gun. Jumping the shark is a totally different phrase lol.

Eh, maybe. Though jumping a live shark totally seems more badass than jumping a measly gun :P

@jg4xchamp said:

I mean lets be real, Chaz's biggest issue is that his statement comes off as a clear statement, and not the conjecture it absolutely is. Even if it has some justification for it.

Nah. His problem is that P5 still hasn't released! xD

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jg4xchamp

Yo real talk, I respect the Calimari pun, in fact I like a lot of the puns in the game, those are great, keep those coming. But fucking don't need the news bulletin bullshit, that is so lame.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By freedomfreak
@jg4xchamp said:

Yo real talk, I respect the Calimari pun, in fact I like a lot of the puns in the game, those are great, keep those coming. But fucking don't need the news bulletin bullshit, that is so lame.

True.

And Splatoon lore and theories are great.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#23 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58856 Posts

A life changing game, greatly benefiting the world.

Excellent.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Thunderdrone
Member since 2009 • 7154 Posts

This game is fantastic. Really an absolute must have, unless you really dont care at all about online competitive games.

Super refreshing premise.

Full of charm and personality.

Fantastic art and character design.

AMAZING traversal mechanics, gameplay and gameflow.

Surprisingly deep in terms of playstyle and costumization.

Genius soundtrack straight out of the drug haze that birthed Jet Set Radios' OST.

And its really pleasant to look at.

The segmented release regarding content is unfortunate, but it is quickly becoming a thing of the past as the "free" content releases.

Oh and the single player might be a glorified training and gear hunting mode, but someone tell me if this isnt one of the coolest boss fights you've recently played in any videogame:

DJ Octavio: "You cant handle my spicy wasabi beats!"

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

Regardless, going by last given numbers, the statement holds factually true. With the information we have, it holds accurate. Shouldn't be an issue, honestly.

True, SONY hold the best numbers for exclusive with KZ SF! Almost double the sales of this game. Goly, that is a lot. Good point.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

Highly impressive for a new IP.

well done to both the fans and Nintendo

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Thunderdrone

Man, this would work really well as a CN cartoon. Nintendo should push for this type of stuff.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#28 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

Good stuff, it's the kind of game I would buy if I had a WiiU. These kind of online games can have limitless replay value, but only if the core gameplay is solid and the online performance is good. Leaderboards also help a lot with longevity if you have a competitive player mindset.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DaVillain  Moderator

@Thunderdrone said:

Man, this would work really well as a CN cartoon. Nintendo should push for this type of stuff.

I would like that. If they used the same art style from Sonic Boom, [sorry but I don't like Boom] I can see a really good Splatoon show series happening. Though I would like to see something like that on Nickelodeon since Splatoon uses ink.

Avatar image for Smashbrossive50
Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 Smashbrossive50
Member since 2009 • 3915 Posts

@Thunderdrone: for what reason is that? To catch up with Sonic Boom? I have a feeling it won't do good if it were aired on weekends,because that's when Sonic Boom took time.

I'll be here just for a bit in case I have better things to do elsewhere around the forums.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#31 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

@Thunderdrone: Haha that DJ looks cool....off topic observation, but his mouth looks like the Original Xbox logo(just a simple observation, I'm not implying anything)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Heil68 said:
@charizard1605 said:

True, SONY hold the best numbers for exclusive with KZ SF! Almost double the sales of this game. Goly, that is a lot. Good point.

What about Mario Kart 8 or Smash Bros 4, then? ;)

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#33 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

I bet that when the update launches that there will be a lot of people running around with the Splatling gun. But what I wanna see is the other gear. I want pants!

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

@charizard1605 said:
@Heil68 said:
@charizard1605 said:

What about Mario Kart 8 or Smash Bros 4, then? ;)

Nope KZ SF is king and a launch game to boot. Sonytecular! :D

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Thunderdrone
@Alucard_Prime said:

@Thunderdrone: Haha that DJ looks cool....off topic observation, but his mouth looks like the Original Xbox logo(just a simple observation, I'm not implying anything)

Its actually one of his tentacles :P

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#36 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

@freedomfreak: @davillain-:You 2 really know how to make the air in here feel..........diffirent.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Thunderdrone

@Smashbrossive50 said:

@Thunderdrone: for what reason is that? To catch up with Sonic Boom? I have a feeling it won't do good if it were aired on weekends,because that's when Sonic Boom took time.

I'll be here just for a bit in case I have better things to do elsewhere around the forums.

Sonic is an excelent example actually. The series critical reception is generally poor, yet its super popular with younger generations and has been a constant million selling franchise for SEGA.

Non-gaming related exposure like cartoons and comics are part of why it manages to survive such a long string of garbage games.

I was also thinking more Powerpuff Girls and less Sonic Boom.

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#38  Edited By drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts

For a new IP that's excellent. Good for it.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#39  Edited By Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

That's pretty amazing for a new IP on the God damn WiiU. Never expected it to be this successful.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

I just got back from doing math.

Those sales are impossible without voice chat.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23895 Posts

Not bad for a new IP,

Not bad for a game with legs,

@Thunderdrone said:

I always felt it would fit right in with Nickelodeon.

Avatar image for Smashbrossive50
Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#42 Smashbrossive50
Member since 2009 • 3915 Posts

@Thunderdrone: huh,he being a good example,my frosty ass. The last time he being a bad example comes from that awful Sonic X,in which I devalue its English dub for all the living and dead reasons..let's just hope the possible Splatoon: The Series won't repeat that same mistake,I hate to see that a cartoon can take so much clichés that baffled the minds of those who expected it. The game sold well,but let"s not waste its power for something that is way too general for kids these days,like using cheap references outside the game itself.

sayyy-gaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 sayyy-gaa
Member since 2002 • 5850 Posts

guess this means two things I didn't really know:

1. The Wiiu is not dead after all.

2. People are still buying games for the system.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:
@charizard1605 said:
@jg4xchamp said:

Okay Wii Music sucks, but I don't even mind when Nintendo does that. It's fine if they do newer things that are marketed to a broader audience, but I'd like the studios that are meant to cater to the enthusiast to also do newer things. You would think at some point when they spent 3 of the last 4 console gens getting their asses kicked in hardware sales someone would think, maybe we need more than just Mario, Zelda, and blah blah.

They have way too many resources, and nevermind the ridiculous amount of talent under that umbrella to not do newer things. Albeit maybe the first thing they need to figure out is catching up to the rest of the industry when it comes to basic online features in their game.

For the record that doesn't mean they stop their old franchises, just also do new things.

From what I've read getting a new idea through Nintendo is beyond difficult. You have to prove to every team leader, beyond the shadow of a doubt that your idea is something special, new, and exciting. And these are hard folks to impress. Splatoon had a hell of a time and that started off with you playing as TOFU cubes.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Thunderdrone

The Iwata Asks interview for Splatoon is hilarious btw

--------

Iwata: So at first it wasn’t squid at all. It was black and white tofu shooting each other with ink. (laughs)

Nogami: Right. (laughs)

Iwata: But tofu is usually white.

Sakaguchi: The black one was sesame tofu! (laughs)

Sato: So the basis of Splatoon was a fight between a block of sesame tofu and a block of firm tofu.

All: (laugh)

--------

I'm gonna miss these :/

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46 deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts

I still have yet to purchase this game. Some day...

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

@freedomfreak said:
@jg4xchamp said:

True.

And Splatoon lore and theories are great.

That's awesome!

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 DaVillain  Moderator

@Ant_17: What can I say, I'm just that good.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#49  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44548 Posts

I've no interest in it myself really, but that's impressive considering the Wii U base isn't that big, and this isn't a license with a solid legacy like other Nintendo titles.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#50 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

I'm gonna get this game in August.