Spencer: Xbox is gaming brand, will be about gaming first

#1 Edited by charizard1605 (60983 posts) -

“My goal, first and foremost, is to make sure that everybody understands that Xbox is a gaming brand and it’s going to be gaming first,” Spencer tells us. “That’s a leadership principle that I will bring to the program from day one. It’s not that it hasn’t been there in the past, but if you put the studio guy at the head, you kinda know what you’re going to get.”

Despite this shift in how Microsoft talks about the Xbox One, the company isn’t abandoning the entertainment side of the console. “If you’re going to be an incredible consumer electronics device in the home today, you’re going to do multiple things,” Spencer says. However, he reiterates that gaming will be at the forefront. “We have always been, since the beginning, all about games at Xbox. I want to make sure that shows up not only internally, but also externally.”

Prior to his promotion, Spencer handled first-party game development as the head of Microsoft Studios. His new position also puts him at the head of third-party relationships. This is in part due to the consolidation of the platform team (formerly headed by Marc Whitten), Spencer’s Microsoft Studios teams, and a leadership group for the brand.

Currently, he’s working on getting up to speed with the different groups now under his leadership. E3, which is only two months away, is a major focus for him, though. He tells us that this year’s press conference will be similar to last year’s, focusing largely on games for the 90 minutes.

Unsurprisingly, there will be new announcements and updates on exclusives, the latter of which Spencer places a great deal of significance. “It’s an incredibly important part of what we do as a platform holder, both for us and for our third-party partners,” he says. “It’s one of the things that makes me so happy about Titanfall, not just that it was on our platform, but to see a studio like Respawn – a brand new studio – have such a great success with their first game.”

Spencer is looking to create more success stories like Titanfall. “We need to win with the gamer,” he says. “[Titanfall is] another great testament to how great content leads to incredible usage and sales. It’s something I want every person on the program to understand, that we’ll be leading with gaming on Xbox One.”

Spencer didn't have many teases today for what Microsoft has on tap for gamers, though he did say this about the Xbox One's expected showing for the year's big gaming show this June: "I'm looking at the E3 line-up and it's incredibly strong both with sequels and new IP, unannounced things.'"

"The Games With Gold program on Xbox 360 has been successful for us," Spencer said. "It’s been part of the value people see in [Xbox Live] Gold, something we recognize that isn’t on Xbox One that isn’t there today. We haven’t announced a plan, but people should understand that we understand the expectation that people have around what the value on Xbox One Gold should be. It might not look exactly the way things have looked in the past, but the recognition that that form of content and that perk for being a Gold subscriber is important to people, something we definitely hear."

"We’ve had feedback from people around how they would like multiple parts of the program to work," Spencer began. "I think we’ve tried to respond to the feedback that we’ve received. We can’t always do exactly what people want for many different reasons, but we try to be open in terms of what we’re thinking about. So feedback to Xbox 360’s Games With Gold is being heard as we think about any future plans we might announce. The feedback loop is definitely active and we want to make sure we’re trying to match what customers want."

"I’m honored to be chosen for this position, but you know what you get when you pick me, which is we’re going to lead this platform from a gaming point of view," Spencer said.

"I want to make sure everything we have on the roadmap going forward makes us the best place for gamers."

"I see the conversation focusing more on the games: what new IP we are investing in, what's going on in Japan, what are we doing with Halo," Spencer said. "It's my job to make sure the best content shows up there... maybe a mix of things we're bringing back from the past, like Killer Instinct, which was very successful, as well as new IPs, likeQuantum Break, Sunset Overdrive and other things we haven't announced yet.

I'm already a fan of this dude and what he is trying to do. Seems like he might restore Xbox to its former glory.

Oh, as for where the quotes come from: these come from three separate interviews that I have collated into one thread (and I will continue to update this thread with more interviews as they come). The links to these are:

Game Informer

Kotaku

IGN

IGN 2

Polygon

#2 Posted by AppleFan1991 (3215 posts) -

I'm happy about this decision. This shows that Microsoft is committed to the Xbox Brand and Spencer seems to be in touch with what gamers want from the Xbox brand. I'm excited to see what he can do.

#3 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (8843 posts) -

I love this guy. Sony can say what it wants about gamers but this guy first and foremost is a GAMER. This can only be good news from here on out!

#4 Posted by charizard1605 (60983 posts) -

@FoxbatAlpha said:

I love this guy. Sony can say what it wants about gamers but this guy first and foremost is a GAMER. This can only be good news from here on out!

Well, Sony has Yoshida heading their worldwide studios, and no one is as much of a gamer as he is :)

Still, independently of Sony and Nintendo, Microsoft has made a great move picking Spencer as their head honcho for Xbox.

#5 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (16058 posts) -

Looks like they're trying to take the Sony road now that TV and sports didn't work out.

#6 Edited by misterpmedia (4369 posts) -

The thing Spencer needs to do is be the only one that can produce PR for the xbox brand. Other PR people just add to the toxicity that is the Xbone, playing down resolutions and power differences just adds fuel to the fire that is still smoldering from May last year. I bet it's a real pity for Spencer to finally get this job and have to deal with cleaning up the whirlwind of piss left by the original creators of the box. I reckon if Spencer had been head from the start the hardware would have been extremely different. Shame.

#7 Edited by SolidTy (45767 posts) -

Another thread on the same day about Spencer from the same OP (charizard)? Here's the other Spencer Xbox thread (Link). Especially since this information here I found a link in the other thread and the information is redundant. Spencer is only posting because he was just appointed, making this thread about his appointment again. Just change the title and fit all Spencer information in one glorious thread.

One thread is basic PR 101 from Spencer which fits in this thread because Spencer's interviews are only because of his new appointment.

Part of this information posted was linked in the other Phil Spencer thread made only two hours ago by the same TC. It seems a bit much about one dude in one day to get multiple threads. It's a shame to lose conversation about Spencer in one thread, and have it spill over here. It's a mess.

With all due respect, there is a lot of good Spencer information but why not keep it in the Spencer Promoted thread? You can update the OP even.

Finally, there are no links in the OP.

#8 Posted by charizard1605 (60983 posts) -

@misterpmedia said:

The thing Spencer needs to do is be the only one that can produce PR for the xbox brand. Other PR people just add to the toxicity that is the Xbone, playing down resolutions and power differences just adds fuel to the fire that is still smoldering from May last year. I bet it's a real pity for Spencer to finally get this job and have to deal with cleaning up the whirlwind of piss left by the original creators of the box. I reckon if Spencer had been head from the start the hardware would have been extremely different. Shame.

Spencer is game centric, he's always been game centric. The Kinect was Matrick's brainchild, the focus on TV and entertainment was down to Yusuf Mehdi- if Spencer had been heading the development of the Xbox One, it surely would have come out as a much different machine than it is now.

#9 Posted by Demonjoe93 (9748 posts) -

He definitely gives new hope for the One.

#10 Posted by charizard1605 (60983 posts) -

@SolidTy said:

Another thread on the same day about Spencer from the same OP? Especially since this information here was a link in the other thread and is redundant.

This link was already in the other thread too. It seems a bit much about one dude in one day to get multiple threads.

Er, no? None of this information was in the other thread. This thread is information from three separate interviews collated into one thread to highlight Spencer's directions for the Xbox brand going forwards. Two threads on this is definitely not enough, especially given how many threads something like, say, Project Morpheus or inFamous: Second Son get.

Now if I was just restating or relinking to the same news as I did in the other thread, you would definitely have had a point. But this is different information, so it warrants a new thread =)

#11 Posted by freedomfreak (43036 posts) -

Well, let us see it, Mr. Spencer.

Good to hear they want to go for it though.

#12 Posted by I_can_haz (6511 posts) -

Congrats to him. Still doesn't stop the Xbone brand from being a sinking ship. They should have made him the head a long time ago instead of Mattrick who helped sell PS4s better than Sony ever could on their own.

#13 Posted by charizard1605 (60983 posts) -

@I_can_haz said:

Congrats to him. Still doesn't stop the Xbone brand from being a sinking ship. They should have made him the head a long time ago instead of Mattrick who helped sell PS4s better than Sony ever could on their own.

I don't know, the PS3 was a disaster to begin with, but with changed policies and a tightened focus, Sony managed to turn it around in spite of not reversing their stance for a few years. Microsoft is already righting the ship just a few months into the launch, there is a very legitimate shot that they could salvage the Xbox One going forwards.

#14 Posted by Roler42 (841 posts) -

If mr spencer can make gaming a priority for the xbox again, then i'm all for it, we need competition for things to get awesome for everyone and if the xbox can become all for gaming again, then we will be in for a treat

#15 Posted by Suppaman100 (4330 posts) -

Good choice although he won't save the trainwreck that is Xbone.

#16 Edited by RR360DD (13033 posts) -

Solidty having a meltdown confirmed.

#17 Edited by charizard1605 (60983 posts) -

@Suppaman100 said:

@charizard1605 said:

I don't know, the PS3 was a disaster to begin with, but with changed policies and a tightened focus, Sony managed to turn it around in spite of not reversing their stance for a few years. Microsoft is already righting the ship just a few months into the launch, there is a very legitimate shot that they could salvage the Xbox One going forwards.

#18 Posted by kuu2 (7908 posts) -

Spencer just reconfirming what has already been known about the Xbox, it has always been about the games.

#19 Posted by Floppy_Jim (25834 posts) -

This guy's not a dick. Good for him.

#20 Edited by SolidTy (45767 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@SolidTy said:

Another thread on the same day about Spencer from the same OP (charizard)? Here's the other Spencer Xbox thread (Link). Especially since this information here I found a link in the other thread and the information is redundant. Spencer is only posting because he was just appointed, making this thread about his appointment again. Just change the title and fit all Spencer information in one glorious thread.

One thread is basic PR 101 from Spencer which fits in this thread because Spencer's interviews are only because of his new appointment.

Part of this information posted was linked in the other Phil Spencer thread made only two hours ago by the same TC. It seems a bit much about one dude in one day to get multiple threads. It's a shame to lose conversation about Spencer in one thread, and have it spill over here. It's a mess.

With all due respect, there is a lot of good Spencer information but why not keep it in the Spencer Promoted thread? You can update the OP even.

Er, no? None of this information was in the other thread. This thread is information from three separate interviews collated into one thread to highlight Spencer's directions for the Xbox brand going forwards. Two threads on this is definitely not enough, especially given how many threads something like, say, Project Morpheus or inFamous: Second Son get.

Now if I was just restating or relinking to the same news as I did in the other thread, you would definitely have had a point. But this is different information, so it warrants a new thread =)

This "Spencer PR" is just from interviews Spencer got due to his new job appointment. It's all related to his promotion.

This is basic PR 101 due to his new appointment. He's got to say things that people want to hear, he just got the job. He has to sing praises and make sure we are pleased with this promotion. It is PR for him and for Xbox's future.

Regarding other threads, if they are made within hours of each other, they are deemed lockable and as we know they aren't usually made by the same OP unless it's spammy. Besides, two wrongs don't make a right. Just because you see redundant threads, doesn't mean you should add to the problem.

As I said above, there are no links in your latest "Spencer got a promotion and speaks up to gaming sites" OP either.

My issue with this poor approach is great conversation about Spencer's PR or his promotion will be lost in the two threads, and for no reason. If someone else made this thread, I would have told them it was a redundant Spencer thread, but the same OP should know better. You could modify the original thread's OP and title if you wished.

Spencer got a promotion. Spencer get's interviewed because of his promotion. I wouldn't want to read two different Kamiya, Miyamoto, Mikami, or Kojima threads within two hours of each other either, and at least those dudes actually make and design games. I like those guys a hell of a lot more due to what they've given me as a gamer, and even then multiple threads means lost conversation which I wouldn't want. I don't want to post over and over about how good or bad they are or whatever. This is just about a corporate head, it's not even as exciting. The guy got promoted and he is singing praises about said promotion, which is what he should do. I would. Going back to Miyamoto and other reputable game directors, even if one thread was about their new promotion and the other thread was those Amazing game designers talking about their new promotion and the new direction of their company, it would mean lost conversation for no reason between multiple threads for no real reason.

#21 Edited by charizard1605 (60983 posts) -

@SolidTy said:

@charizard1605 said:

@SolidTy said:

This Spencer PR from interviews he got due to his appointment. It's all related.

This is basic PR 101 due to his new appointment. Regarding other threads, if they are made within hours of each other, they are deemed lockable and as we know they aren't usually made by the same OP unless it's spammy. Besides, two wrongs don't make a right. Just because you see redundant threads, doesn't mean you should add to the problem.

As I said above, there are no links in your latest "Spencer got a promotion and speaks up to gaming sites" OP either.

Are you sure there are no links?

#22 Edited by shawn30 (4367 posts) -

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Same here. I love the entertainment stuff on Xbox One and I certainly want it to be refined/enhanced/updated going forward. But having games as the lead focus is a solid strategy. I'm all in for the all in one entertainment, but gaming first. Good to see Phil taking the bull by the horns and stating exactly what his strategy is.

#23 Posted by _Matt_ (9351 posts) -

@RR360DD said:

#24 Posted by shawn30 (4367 posts) -
@I_can_haz said:

While I don't agree that the One is a sinking ship at all, everything else you said is complete and total truth undeniable.

#25 Edited by kuu2 (7908 posts) -

@_Matt_ said:

@RR360DD said:

When your goal is to be a mod you go around pointing out rules.

#26 Posted by uninspiredcup (12365 posts) -

Phil Spencer is a hansom man who clearly works out.

#27 Posted by musicalmac (23541 posts) -

Great thread.

#28 Posted by AppleFan1991 (3215 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

Phil Spencer is a hansom man who clearly works out.

I've heard that's why they chose him.

#29 Posted by bobbetybob (19297 posts) -

Big talk, let's see him back it up...preferably with a non Kinect Xbone

#30 Posted by SolidTy (45767 posts) -

@_Matt_ said:

Really Matt?

#31 Posted by shawn30 (4367 posts) -

@misterpmedia said:

Lot of truth here.

#32 Posted by ninjapirate2000 (3253 posts) -

This thread delivers.

#33 Posted by Suppaman100 (4330 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@Suppaman100 said:

@charizard1605 said:

Agree, although PS3 and Xbone have a lot in common there a still some fundemental differences. Even though, this is the start of the gen, they made some crucial mistakes and do have to make a 180 in order to appeal to the masses again. I think it's too late to be saved in Europe (and Japan of course) even if they changed their policies drastically.

#34 Edited by SolidTy (45767 posts) -
@charizard1605 said:

@SolidTy said:

@charizard1605 said:

@SolidTy said:

This "Spencer PR" is just from interviews Spencer got due to his new job appointment. It's all related to his promotion.

This is basic PR 101 due to his new appointment. He's got to say things that people want to hear, he just got the job. He has to sing praises and make sure we are pleased with this promotion. It is PR for him and for Xbox's future.

Regarding other threads, if they are made within hours of each other, they are deemed lockable and as we know they aren't usually made by the same OP unless it's spammy. Besides, two wrongs don't make a right. Just because you see redundant threads, doesn't mean you should add to the problem.

My issue with this poor approach is great conversation about Spencer's PR or his promotion will be lost in the two threads, and for no reason. If someone else made this thread, I would have told them it was a redundant Spencer thread, but the same OP should know better. You could modify the original thread's OP and title if you wished.

Spencer got a promotion. Spencer get's interviewed because of his promotion. I wouldn't want to read two different Kamiya, Miyamoto, Mikami, or Kojima threads within two hours of each other either, and at least those dudes actually make and design games. I like those guys a hell of a lot more due to what they've given me as a gamer, and even then multiple threads means lost conversation which I wouldn't want. I don't want to post over and over about how good or bad they are or whatever. This is just about a corporate head, it's not even as exciting. The guy got promoted and he is singing praises about said promotion, which is what he should do. I would. Going back to Miyamoto and other reputable game directors, even if one thread was about their new promotion and the other thread was those Amazing game designers talking about their new promotion and the new direction of their company, it would mean lost conversation for no reason between multiple threads for no real reason.

Are you sure there are no links?

Now there are links as you edited. You fixed that issue, obviously. You could have just said you fixed the OP and added the links instead of writing that question out as if the OP wasn't edited.

I found two of those links by other means but I wouldn't have had to do so had those links been there. So, there's that.

#35 Posted by handssss (1898 posts) -

@bobbetybob said:

Big talk, let's see him back it up...preferably with a non Kinect Xbone

it does need to go, but I wonder if they'll ever do that. At any rate, the real test is if those words remain 4 years from now. 360 came out of the gates with games galore, but it didn't last even half the generation.

#36 Posted by musicalmac (23541 posts) -

I made a thread not too long ago about a product manager who relied on presumptuous hyperbole to explain his vision with the Xbox One. This fellow comes out and at least voices his seemingly genuine thoughts, with explanation, about how he intends to direct the Xbox division and where his head is at.

Not bad. It's not unexpected, but it's also not typical to get such an honest answer.

#37 Edited by SolidTy (45767 posts) -
@kuu2 said:

@_Matt_ said:

When your goal is to be a mod you go around pointing out rules.

Not my goal.

My goal is preserve "Spencer got promoted" information posted by users related to Spencer's promotion so we don't all have to post redundantly. It also preserves any great points made about Spencer. It's also better when we look back at the threads in the future knowing we posted in one thread, not multiple threads. There are many reasons, which is why I didn't invent the idea, but rather is a rule to keep things nice and tidy for us forumers.

#38 Edited by charizard1605 (60983 posts) -

@SolidTy: I had added those links way before this post. They had been added right around the same time as you made your first post. Your pointing out a lack of links by the time you made the post I replied to was erroneous, which is why I chose to reply as I did.

@Suppaman100 said:

Agree, although PS3 and Xbone have a lot in common there a still some fundemental differences. Even though, this is the start of the gen, they made some crucial mistakes and do have to make a 180 in order to appeal to the masses again. I think it's too late to be saved in Europe (and Japan of course) even if they changed their policies drastically.

I don't know, at one point PS3 was doing worse than Gamecube and Dreamcast in Japan, and then it went on to do so great in the end. Now I don't think Xbox One will do as great in Japan obviously, but it has potential to have a turnaround in Europe. It's too early to say anyway is what I am saying.

#39 Posted by lglz1337 (4116 posts) -

tooo late MS nice try

#40 Edited by SolidTy (45767 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@SolidTy: I had added those links way before this post. They had been added right around the same time as you made your first post. Your pointing out a lack of links by the time you made the post I replied to was erroneous, which is why I chose to reply as I did.

Another problem when going between multiple threads. Since I'm bouncing between two Spencer threads (and other threads) and replying, I can't refresh just in case the OP is fixed...that's assuming your timing is correct. I had no indication until after the fact that you intended to fix the OP. After all, I see people forget links all the time in SW OPs, it's not uncommon I ask for links in other threads.

#41 Posted by silversix_ (15882 posts) -

Bu Bu Buttttt But Xbox One is an all in One system, Spencer

#42 Edited by magicalclick (23750 posts) -

It is nice to have a game centric guy as the director. And so far, he has been doing good work on adding things gamer cares about. So, good for him.

#43 Posted by musicalmac (23541 posts) -

@SolidTy said:

@charizard1605 said:

Another problem when going between multiple threads. Since I'm bouncing between two Spencer threads (and other threads) and replying, I can't refresh just in case the OP is fixed...that's assuming your timing is correct. I had no indication until after the fact that you intended to fix the OP. After all, I see people forget links all the time in SW OPs, it's not uncommon I ask for links in other threads.

Time for you to deal with it and stay on topic. No more criticizing the person, time for you to focus on the point.

#44 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (8843 posts) -

As usual a lot of cow negativity. This news overshadows Yoshida's confirmation that the PS4 has DRM and that E3 was only about disc based games. Talk about stabbing in the back.

At least Microsoft was up front about it. Phil Spencer will usher in a new era of awesomeness.

#45 Edited by SolidTy (45767 posts) -

@musicalmac said:

@SolidTy said:

Time for you to deal with it and stay on topic. No more criticizing the person, time for you to focus on the point.

I am not criticizing the person at all as you actually know, I spoke on a forum problem politely and I did post on topic revealing there were no links in the OP which has been rectified for this thread.

I also posted on topic in the other Spencer thread as my first post. I've also moved on from both threads until you posted this inviting me back in.

Carry on and enjoy the various Spencer topic(s). I'm going back to what I was doing away from both threads as I had already said my piece on multiple topics and I said my piece on the Spencer news.

Spencer's a good appointment over the last guy. I'm not a fan of Elop.

#46 Edited by musicalmac (23541 posts) -

@SolidTy said:

I am not criticizing the person and I did post on topic revealing there were no links in the OP which has been rectified.

I also posted on topic in the other thread. I've also moved on from both threads until you posted this inviting me back in.

I'll let you know when I gain the ability to read minds.

One thing I can already read, though, is a meltdown. When someone takes charge like Phil did here, and gives candid answers to a hungry gamer population, it's not unsurprising to see such reactions.

I'm encouraged by this interview, and I think the reasonable population, too, is encouraged by this information. I also appreciate the way in which multiple ideas were compiled into one, well constructed thread. It's nice to see quality threads on SW.

EDITS: Added "...by this interview" and you were absolutely criticizing the OP, please don't choose to lie to us. Please stay on topic and use other avenues to voice your frustration. The private message system exists for a reason, don't hesitate to use it to contact a moderator when you feel something is wrong. It's more likely change will occur than if you post passive-aggressive criticisms of users in public places.

#47 Posted by lbjkurono23 (12544 posts) -

Anyone can say the right things. We'll see what happens soon enough.

#48 Posted by nini200 (10404 posts) -

Ok that's great on paper but too many times have reps talked and not walked. You say it's for gamers just like Sony did? Well let's see some proof at e3. Sony had alot of talk and have yet to provide any of what they talked and fortunately I had the sense to know better which is why I am waiting for some actual games before I decide to pick up a PS4.

E3 better be mind blowing this year. There were alot of things promised by the companies and they need to start delivering.

Spencer sounds like a nice guy but nice and business seldom get along together.

#49 Edited by Animal-Mother (27136 posts) -

@FoxbatAlpha said:

So now lems are about games again and not all "TEH FeaTurEz" of the xbox one? Because Sony has games coming out if you just so happened to forget

#50 Edited by super600 (31031 posts) -

@Suppaman100 said:

MS is reacting way faster than sony did last gen when the ps3 was floundering.The xbox one was flawed, but it was no trainwreck.The wiiu is the closest to an actual trainwreck.