Spencer thinks highly of Sony, snubs Pachter, BC=good idea

#1 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (8169 posts) -

What a classy lad, that Spencer...

There have been conflicting predictions on the outcome of E3 next week. Some predict great things, while others expect a rather bland show. One of those that predicted a mediocre outcome is Wedbush Securities Analyst Michael Pachter, but Xbox Division head honcho Phil Spencer took it in stride on Twitter.

Ahh that @michaelpachter guy, he’s a friend. I’ll see him after our briefing, we’ll see if our show matches his predictions.

Spencer was also asked if Sony is somewhat intimidated by his new role, but renewed his appreciation for the competition, and mentioned that he thinks they’ll have a good E3 as well:

I don’t think Sony is intimidated. Sony is great brand and strong team. Competition is good, they’ll have a good E3.

He also explained that the Xbox team is in high spirits and working hard, as the big test approaches:

Thanks, XBOX team is all working hard. There is a renewed sense of belief we are on a good path here, good vibe in the halls.

As a final additional bonus, Spencer also stated that pushing for backwards compatibility (for Xbox One) is a “good push.”

It’s not the first time that Phil Spencer expresses positive thoughts about Microsoft’s competitors, and it’s definitely nice to see him heading into E3 with this kind of sportsmanship. Wouldn’t it be nice if the fans were able to imitate it, and enjoy the show as a celebration of gaming, instead of a bloody war?

#2 Edited by B4X (2680 posts) -

Pachter ownage incoming.

#3 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (12838 posts) -

If spencer can get the games, games, games out there. You might see me on xbox live.

Massive change from the earlier suits, seems like a good thing.

#4 Posted by LadyBlue (3722 posts) -

full BC would be awesome. If it happens I'm hoping you can install 360 games.

#5 Posted by Bruin1986 (1177 posts) -

From the limited exposure I've had to his interviews, comments, etc...he seems like a class act.

#6 Posted by santoron (7455 posts) -

lol @Pachter.

Spencer hasn't made a bad move yet, including when speaking about the competition, and I'm banking on him delivering a very strong E3. I hope his BC comment nudges Sony to release their PSOne and PS2 efforts for PS4.

#7 Edited by TheGuardian03 (21279 posts) -

Spencer is the best thing to happen to the xbox, just show me more games and i'll get an x1 instantly.

If MS plays it right they could easily win E3 this year.

Also if we could get BC that would be great, i wanna continue the witcher 2 and many 360 games.

#8 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (5483 posts) -

@b4x said:

Pachter ownage incoming.

Lmao.

#9 Edited by B4X (2680 posts) -

If this BC comes to pass. I will sell all my 360 hardware June 9th!

#10 Posted by I_can_haz (6484 posts) -

Picking Spencer was the best thing M$ could have done. He is so much better than the boneheads that were running Xbox division in the past. This is coming from a hardcore cow.

#11 Posted by tdkmillsy (1227 posts) -

Picking Spencer was the best thing M$ could have done. He is so much better than the boneheads that were running Xbox division in the past. This is coming from a hardcore cow.

Nice to hear. Top marks

#12 Edited by Salt_The_Fries (8169 posts) -

Kudos.

#13 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (3310 posts) -

who da fuk does this cat think he is snubbing patchter? ceo change, companies change but patchter is forever eternal. screw the haters

#14 Posted by cainetao11 (15917 posts) -

@ladyblue said:

full BC would be awesome. If it happens I'm hoping you can install 360 games.

This would be a big move. Instead of a rental service, having free BC would win appreciation.

#15 Posted by edwardecl (1796 posts) -

Backwards compatibility is impossible if you are thinking of emulation... probably be able to emulate the original Xbox not the 360. The only other choice is video streaming like Sony does.

#16 Edited by Salt_The_Fries (8169 posts) -

Another food for thought:

Microsoft’s Xbox Division Head Honcho Phil Spencer just landed in Los Angeles for E3, and he’s sharpening his fangs for Monday’s battle of the conferences. While he has expressed respect for the competition multiple times, he definitely wants Microsoft to be competitive:

Want to have a good E3. I expect good E3 from the other consoles, I want us to be competitive. The bar will be high.

That said, considering his new appointment and the fact that his words and actions have been appreciated by many in the gaming community, Spencer understands that the show should be about the games and not about him:

Hopefully main character is the content, not me.

I just really don’t want this to be a Phil thing. XBOX team is doing the great work, I’m middle management.

It’s important that I remember people care about xbox, it’s not fame for me but the product that matters.

As an added bonus, Spencer also mentioned that he didn’t forget about improvements to the conditions for digital purchases, like pre-load, prices, pre-orders and the like, so we might hear something about that down the line.

Considering that many downplayed what we’re going to see at E3, it’ll be interesting to see if Spencer will be proven right and the bar will really be as high as he expects. He definitely does seem confident about the hand he has been dealt.

#17 Posted by HitmanActual (313 posts) -

Hopefully MS and fabulous Phil can impress and make a huge improvement on their usual E3 clusterfucks.

Dude seems pretty chill though which is a welcome change over the usual knob jockeys MS employs.

#18 Edited by RR360DD (11416 posts) -

#19 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (8169 posts) -

Yeah, was about to post that but didn't want to post twice in a row.

#20 Edited by misterpmedia (3362 posts) -
#21 Posted by _Matt_ (8791 posts) -

Phil Spencer is the best thing in recent history to happen to Xbox.

#22 Posted by always_explicit (2630 posts) -

Phil knows whats up. Any decent manager knows the customer service, the product, and the service are priority number one.

Looks like we are due some customer service from MS.

Good game Phil. Cant wait to see whats going down at E3 this afternoon.

#23 Posted by littlestreakier (2847 posts) -