Spencer: I Wish We Had Something Like Uncharted for Xbox

#1 Posted by charizard1605 (61548 posts) -

Totally. I'm a big fan of Uncharted and I wish we had an action adventure game of that ilk. We've started some, and we've looked at them. But we don't have one today of that quality. This is an opportunity.

People push me as the content guy, shouldn't it all be about the content you're building? I want to own all of the hits on our platform. Well, not all of them - that's too much. But I want to have a stable of hits on our platform that we own. Absolutely. That's fundamental to us having a successful platform. When a unique opportunity comes up, I've got to go look at that. And this was a unique opportunity.

People have asked me before about IP we own, and they'll say, you own all the IP you publish. I'm explicit about it: that's a goal but there will be situations where we don't, and we've talked about those. Ryse is a situation where we don't own the IP.

SOURCE

Uncharted is so amazing even Spencer wants something like it on Xbox.

I am glad at the candid honestly he has displayed here, though. Hopefully Microsoft can actually work on building their first party soon.

#2 Posted by Blabadon (28424 posts) -

Buy a PS3 Spencer buddy.

#3 Edited by LJS9502_basic (152395 posts) -

Maybe they should stop with all the FPS games......and create some.

#4 Posted by charizard1605 (61548 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:

Maybe they should stop with all the FPS games......and create some.

How many FPS games does Microsoft have, exactly?

#5 Posted by sukraj (23975 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Maybe they should stop with all the FPS games......and create some.

How many FPS games does Microsoft have, exactly?

way too many

#6 Edited by charizard1605 (61548 posts) -

@sukraj said:

@charizard1605 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Maybe they should stop with all the FPS games......and create some.

How many FPS games does Microsoft have, exactly?

way too many

Microsoft has exactly one active FPS franchise. That's less than Sony, incidentally.

#7 Edited by GrenadeLauncher (6256 posts) -

Phil Spencer was head of Microsoft Studios for three years from 2010. Maybe he should have thought to use his position to create studios, foster IPs and nurture talent.

Instead we got dozens of shit Kinect games and Fable.

#9 Edited by Netret0120 (2871 posts) -

We knew this a long time ago. Lemmings are just too blind and silly to ever publicly admit that on SW.

Uncharted>>> Any Xbox exclusive

#10 Posted by edwardecl (2239 posts) -

Why would anyone at Microsoft admit that? Do they want to fail?

It's nice and all admitting your shortcommings, but to say you have nothing in the pipeline of that quality is insane. I'm guessing by him saying "today" he means he has nothing when the next Uncharted comes out or even close to it.

#11 Posted by Heirren (18921 posts) -

Microsoft should have thought fast and bought the rights for Star Wars games. People will buy consoles just for those games and most of them are mediocre and best. Now, if they actually put thought and effort into a SW game itd maybe get the console back on track.

.............or just go search for talent?

#12 Posted by freedomfreak (43443 posts) -

Then they should hire some talent. Set up studios. Get Rare back on its feet again.

Gotta start somewhere.

#13 Edited by StormyJoe (6539 posts) -

@charizard1605: You don't think the folks at Sony wish they had their own "Halo" or "Gears Of War"? Or Mario, Zelda, or Metroid?

#14 Posted by Alcapello (1309 posts) -

Try gears: horizon

#16 Posted by AmazonAngry (968 posts) -

Hats off for the honesty.

#17 Posted by Lionheart08 (15623 posts) -

Well, they have Tomb Raider is a timed exclusive. :P

#18 Posted by StormyJoe (6539 posts) -

@scottpsfan14 said:
@StormyJoe said:

@charizard1605: You don't think the folks at Sony wish they had their own "Halo" or "Gears Of War"? Or Mario, Zelda, or Metroid?

BUTT..HURT..JOSEPH!!!

Are you out of your f**king head? How in any way whatsoever, am I "butthurt"? You dumbasses have ruined that phrase.

If you have nothing to add to the conversation, why are you even replying?

#19 Posted by Heil68 (47171 posts) -

Everyone wants a top 5 GOAT, cant blame him.

#20 Posted by Bishop1310 (1203 posts) -

This guy works for a company in direct competition with Sony and he's less of a fan boy then all the unemployed goofs on this board.

Amazing.

#22 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (9481 posts) -

@sukraj said:

@charizard1605 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Maybe they should stop with all the FPS games......and create some.

How many FPS games does Microsoft have, exactly?

way too many

They have Halo and........................................???????

#23 Posted by StormyJoe (6539 posts) -

@scottpsfan14 said:
@StormyJoe said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@StormyJoe said:

@charizard1605: You don't think the folks at Sony wish they had their own "Halo" or "Gears Of War"? Or Mario, Zelda, or Metroid?

BUTT..HURT..JOSEPH!!!

Are you out of your f**king head? How in any way whatsoever, am I "butthurt"? You dumbasses have ruined that phrase.

If you have nothing to add to the conversation, why are you even replying?

You were butthurt. Just the fact that you said the first comment dictates you were affected by this thread. Lie all you want but fact is, Phil wishes he had an Uncharted like game for Xbox. I imagine Sony wishes they had a game like Halo that sells the way it does, but why mention that if you aren't in fact butthurt? It was 100% damage control. Just saying.

I don't care if he wants an "Uncharted" game. My point was, I am sure EVERY company wishes they had games the competed with their rivals' franchise titles.

That's not "butthurt", that's just fact. If you can't figure out the difference, that is your problem, but it doesn't make me "butthurt".

#24 Edited by mems_1224 (48570 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@sukraj said:

@charizard1605 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Maybe they should stop with all the FPS games......and create some.

How many FPS games does Microsoft have, exactly?

way too many

Microsoft has exactly one active FPS franchise. That's less than Sony, incidentally.

Owned

Spencer is the best.

#26 Posted by StormyJoe (6539 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

Everyone wants a top 5 GOAT, cant blame him.

Watch it, @scottpsfan14 is going to say you are butthurt...

#27 Posted by Shewgenja (10982 posts) -

You know, the more they let this guy talk, the more I am actually starting to like him. I have my doubts because he was part of that NFL deal. That being said, if he is focused on games now and still willing to write those 400 million dollar checks, then he is in a position to buy into a lot of studios.

#28 Posted by tymeservesfate (2227 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

Everyone wants a top 5 GOAT, cant blame him.

what are the other 4?

#29 Edited by MBirdy88 (9007 posts) -

@Netret0120 said:

We knew this a long time ago. Lemmings are just too blind and silly to ever publicly admit that on SW.

Uncharted>>> Any Xbox exclusive

pretty confident that Halo beats it in pretty much every way except movie-wannabe.

#31 Posted by TheEroica (14463 posts) -

Not to be a downer, because I see uncharted appeal and rather enjoy them myself, but for me not uncharted game has come close to my goty in any release... I usually praise the games with competent and impressive gameplay over the games that push it further down the ladder. Uncharted is gummy as eff where your success in a fight is not against the enemy but against the controller most of the time... I hold hope that UC4 does better, as tlou did.

Truly on topic though, ms lost my business this gen because they don't practice what they're preaching. 500 bucks for a console with only a small hand full of games I can't get anywhere else, and some of those franchises are beaten to death... nah, I'll wait. When Spencer starts showing new exclusive ip I'll start listening.

#32 Posted by Animal-Mother (27137 posts) -

lol....Ms First party....hahahahaha

#33 Posted by Heil68 (47171 posts) -

@TheEroica said:

Not to be a downer, because I see uncharted appeal and rather enjoy them myself, but for me not uncharted game has come close to my goty in any release... I usually praise the games with competent and impressive gameplay over the games that push it further down the ladder. Uncharted is gummy as eff where your success in a fight is not against the enemy but against the controller most of the time... I hold hope that UC4 does better, as tlou did.

Truly on topic though, ms lost my business this gen because they don't practice what they're preaching. 500 bucks for a console with only a small hand full of games I can't get anywhere else, and some of those franchises are beaten to death... nah, I'll wait. When Spencer starts showing new exclusive ip I'll start listening.

Dripping of lem delusions that you just cant seem to let go of.

#34 Edited by TheEroica (14463 posts) -

@Heil68: I just bashed Spencer man!

#35 Posted by Bigboi500 (31308 posts) -

Maybe one day, ole frat boy.

#36 Edited by chikenfriedrice (11018 posts) -

Instead of wishing get some 1st party studios going.....as my step dad always says "wish in one hand and shit in the other, and see which one fills up faster"

#37 Posted by getyeryayasout (8482 posts) -

I thought that that's why they rented Tomb Raider.

#38 Posted by Heil68 (47171 posts) -

@getyeryayasout said:

I thought that that's why they rented Tomb Raider.

hahah..rented..lol

#39 Edited by darkangel115 (2230 posts) -

@StormyJoe said:

@charizard1605: You don't think the folks at Sony wish they had their own "Halo" or "Gears Of War"? Or Mario, Zelda, or Metroid?

exactly. and this is why i love Spencer. If Sony was asked something similar they'd be like "lol halo sucks dudebro shooter , PS4 is 10 million sold 1080p 60fps bitches"

#40 Posted by intotheminx (888 posts) -

@Bishop1310 said:

This guy works for a company in direct competition with Sony and he's less of a fan boy then all the unemployed goofs on this board.

Amazing.

I watched a video recently about fanboys that mentioned how a lot of people at opposing companies are actually buds. At E3 employees of MS and Sony were going out at night and having a blast together....some war huh? lol. Delusional people is all.

#41 Posted by intotheminx (888 posts) -

Lets be honest for a sec.....The Tomb Raider reboot>Uncharted 3.

#42 Posted by StormyJoe (6539 posts) -

@scottpsfan14 said:
@StormyJoe said:

@Heil68 said:

Everyone wants a top 5 GOAT, cant blame him.

Watch it, @scottpsfan14 is going to say you are butthurt...

Why would he be butthurt? His is an avid follower of the Church of Godny. He has been blessed upon with GOTY's and GOAT's from the fabled Godny first party.

Why such 'butthurt' Joseph?

Umm... he said pretty much exactly what I did.

#44 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (16190 posts) -

@getyeryayasout said:

I thought that that's why they rented Tomb Raider.

Dem blockbuster exclusives still in effect.

#45 Posted by Douevenlift_bro (5788 posts) -

Lol no shit. And LOL @ lems accidentally admitting that all Xbone has is HALO.

Shouldnt have sold all your studios and invested in kinect you morons!!

#46 Posted by ShepardCommandr (3261 posts) -

Well now with Tomb Raider they do.

The reboot was basically uncharted.

#47 Posted by which_wich (189 posts) -

@scottpsfan14 said:
@StormyJoe said:

@charizard1605: You don't think the folks at Sony wish they had their own "Halo" or "Gears Of War"? Or Mario, Zelda, or Metroid?

BUTT..HURT..JOSEPH!!!

When Sony wishes they had something they try to create their versions of that thing and they're usually successful. People buy xbox to play codhalogearsandforza so there's no reason for MS to even try to make other genres for their platforms because no one will buy it.

#49 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (6256 posts) -

@chikenfriedrice said:

Instead of wishing get some 1st party studios going.....as my step dad always says "wish in one hand and shit in the other, and see which one fills up faster"

This damage control is so shit. You've done much better before.

#50 Posted by chikenfriedrice (11018 posts) -

@GrenadeLauncher said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

Instead of wishing get some 1st party studios going.....as my step dad always says "wish in one hand and shit in the other, and see which one fills up faster"

This damage control is so shit. You've done much better before.

That's weird because it isn't damage control....it's just damage. How is saying MS should get more 1st party studios damage controlling? That's a very unbiased statement.