Space sim faceoff - Elite Dangerous vs No Man's Sky

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

Two space exploration / combat games, two different approaches, but somewhat comparable, still. One of them is a timed console exclusive for X1, the other a timed or permament console exclusive for PS4.

Elite: Dangerous vs No Man's Sky, which one of them do you think would do better in console environment? Which one do you think will be a better game? Which one will sell more?

Do you think consolites will even give a fvck?

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52420 Posts

I'll pick No Man's Sky based on the artstyle.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

We don't know enough yet about No Man's Sky. All we've seen is the RNG exploration aspect.

I expect them to reveal way more at E3.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

No Man's Sky doesn't seem to be a game just an exploration sim. Every time the devs are asked in interviews what you actually do in it they say yeah you explore. Explore what? And why would you want to?

It's not a game.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44503 Posts

I pick Space Engineers (whenever that releases) for it's Minecraft in space kind of angle, also a timed console exclusive (in that it will be on Xbox One and won't be on PS4 for at least a year after Xbox One release). You basically mine for resources, create your own ships big or small, or a space station or asteroid base. Your experience will only be limited by your imagination.

Loading Video...

As for whether console gamers will give a damn about space sims, that remains to be seen. Though, it wouldn't surprise me if that was the case given that the genre hasn't had any place on consoles for years. I think how they're retailed and marketed make a difference too. I think downloadable only games on consoles tend to get ignored in favor of physical retail. Then again, a simpler priced downloadable game might seem more enticing than a full price retail game.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

no idea, since not much is known about no man's sky

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 blueinheaven

@lostrib said:

no idea, since not much is known about no man's sky

The people making it don't seem to know much about it either lol so yeah, details are indeed scarce.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61423 Posts

I'm pretty excited to pick up Elite Dangerous... It looks pretty good.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#9 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

No Man's Sky is not a space sim. Elite Dangerous wins by default. This is like Minecraft versus ARMA for military simulation realisim.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11124 Posts

Star Citizen

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By blueinheaven

@GhoX said:

No Man's Sky is not a space sim. Elite Dangerous wins by default. This is like Minecraft versus ARMA for military simulation realisim.

How do you know what No Man's Sky is? Nobody else seems to know. It will be 'in' space or at least up in the sky. lol stupidest game launch in the history of the videogame industry. I will lmao if people actually buy it on release with not the faintest clue what it is.

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ProtossX
Member since 2005 • 2880 Posts

xb1 needs no mans sky to survive

microsoft hello pc is gettin why the hell arent we were gamers too

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts
@ProtossX said:

xb1 needs no mans sky to survive

microsoft hello pc is gettin why the hell arent we were gamers too

cuz of a terrible terrible dumb Policy M$ has for having games on XBOX LIVE.

Some thing about if a game is/was exclusive/came out on another platform, then M$ doesnt want it on LIVE.

Lots of LIVE downloadable games came to PSN 6 months or a year later: BRAID, Castle Crashers, etc. BUT none of the PSN games ever came to LIVE: Flower, Flow, Journey, Fat Princess, Echocrome, and a whole bunch I cant remember.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#15 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts
@lamprey263 said:

I pick Space Engineers (whenever that releases) for it's Minecraft in space kind of angle, also a timed console exclusive (in that it will be on Xbox One and won't be on PS4 for at least a year after Xbox One release). You basically mine for resources, create your own ships big or small, or a space station or asteroid base. Your experience will only be limited by your imagination.

Loading Video...

As for whether console gamers will give a damn about space sims, that remains to be seen. Though, it wouldn't surprise me if that was the case given that the genre hasn't had any place on consoles for years. I think how they're retailed and marketed make a difference too. I think downloadable only games on consoles tend to get ignored in favor of physical retail. Then again, a simpler priced downloadable game might seem more enticing than a full price retail game.

Space Engineers still wont be timed exclusive for the XB1, its already on PC.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#16 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

@blueinheaven said:

@GhoX said:

How do you know what No Man's Sky is? Nobody else seems to know. It will be 'in' space or at least up in the sky. lol stupidest game launch in the history of the videogame industry. I will lmao if people actually buy it on release with not the faintest clue what it is.

Even based on the extremely limited information and gameplay videos, it's clear that you don't have to practice 20 minutes just to learn how to dock your ship. So no, it is not a space sim like Elite Dangerous. :P

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 lamprey263

@pelvist said:

I didn't say "timed exclusive" I said "timed console exclusive", the "console exclusive" term by it's properly exercised context means a game that's available on one console and not the others, but doesn't exclude the existence of a PC port, it just disregards it.

Regardless if you're familiar with the term, you should have effortlessly deducted that this thread, given the context of the OP, is about the space sims that are coming to consoles, and more specifically about games on one console and not the other (i.e. on Xbox One not PS4, and vice versa); hence, why I used the term "console exclusive" in the first place.

Santesyu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18 Santesyu
Member since 2008 • 4451 Posts

Is it ok if I go with battlefront instead?

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11780 Posts

@pelvist said:
@lamprey263 said:

Loading Video...

Oh god look at the comment section with people saying "I should of got an Xbox!" "LOL Games like this is why Xbox RULES"

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

I don't know but Elite is boring. yawn.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By lamprey263

@Nengo_Flow said:

cuz of a terrible terrible dumb Policy M$ has for having games on XBOX LIVE.

Some thing about if a game is/was exclusive/came out on another platform, then M$ doesnt want it on LIVE.

Microsoft has abandoned the restrictions of its parity clause since 2013, evident by the existence of staggered releases making it's way onto the Xbox One, including those that had timed exclusivity deals with PlayStation systems. These include titles like Outlast, Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty, Velocity 2X, Neverwinter, Space Engineers, Elite: Dangerous. If fact, MS has explicitly said they want No Man's Sky on the Xbox One just recently, obviously extending an olive branch to the developer. Free Live's, developers of Broforce, claimed in an interview that MS wouldn't let them develop their game on the Xbox One, contrary to the fact that MS also explicitly said Free Live's made no effort to contact ID@Xbox, despite telling Free Live's that they'd like to have Broforce on the Xbox One, despite it coming to PC and PS4/Vita first; in essence calling him out on being an utter ignorant ass that spends too much time around NeoGAF fanboys. There's nothing really stopping devs these days from staggering their releases onto the Xbox One, except for either their own unwillingness to do so, or because they've been giving people like you who have no idea what they're talking about too much credit.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By pelvist

@lamprey263 said:

@pelvist said:

I didn't say "timed exclusive" I said "timed console exclusive", the "console exclusive" term by it's properly exercised context means a game that's available on one console and not the others, but doesn't exclude the existence of a PC port, it just disregards it.

Regardless if you're familiar with the term, you should have effortlessly deducted that this thread, given the context of the OP, is about the space sims that are coming to consoles, and more specifically about games on one console and not the other (i.e. on Xbox One not PS4, and vice versa); hence, why I used the term "console exclusive" in the first place.

You seldom hear of Space engineers on these forums because it is only on PC and has been for about 2 years, I expect the same would be true about No Mans Sky if it where the other way around. If we play by the rules made up by console gamers and a game released on one console platform as well as the PC platform is a "console exclusive", then does that mean every multi platform game released on the PC platform is "PC exclusive" because the PC doesnt have any competition? -No, it doesnt.

The term "console exclusive" however exercised in its context on SW is just a term made up by console gamers to suit their needs in an argument that can only be won by excluding the PC platform from it. Just to remind you, this is the system wars forum not console wars, so arguing over the best system while being ignorant to the PC platform is just arguing over second best, if that wasnt the case then console gamers would have no problem including the PC.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

Why are people excited about No Man's Sky? Despite them releasing 3 or 4 trailers, we still know next to nothing about that game.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

I absolutely love space sims, but I really want to see a capital ship simulator.. All we have are all these dog fighter simulators, which is great, but complete lack of capital ship ones (aside from two moba games).

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

@JangoWuzHere said:

Why are people excited about No Man's Sky? Despite them releasing 3 or 4 trailers, we still know next to nothing about that game.

Because people need something to play on their console.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

@sSubZerOo said:

I absolutely love space sims, but I really want to see a capital ship simulator.. All we have are all these dog fighter simulators, which is great, but complete lack of capital ship ones (aside from two moba games).

Star Citizen will have capital ships that will require multiple individuals to properly operate. Obviously we're still on the release, but they'll have it.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries: On topic, NMS will do better on consoles. It focuses more on an arcady style that can appeal to console gamers (not saying this is in a bad).

Has for which is better, neither. They're different.

Elite Dangerous right now is lacking alot of stuff, but will grow over time.

NMS still has to prove itself. I'll believe the worlds are interesting and that mechanics can keep occupied when i see someone play for 30-60 minutes and not bullshit trailer

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 pelvist

@sSubZerOo said:

Other than Star Citizen there is a game called Flagship which is like an RTS but you control the fleet in first person on board a capital ship. It failed its Kickstarter but the devs are still making it as far as I know. There is also Pulsar: Last Colony which is kind of like a first person version of Faster Than Light and your crew members are controlled by up to four other players.

Available now there is the X series which let you pilot capital ships but (without mods/cheats) it can take a VERY long time to reach a point where you would have enough money to afford one.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Star Citizen. A game that is not stuck in the past and pushing Space Sim genre into Next Generation. It's not low budget indie either but a big ass game that we used to get until 2007 then Modern Warfare happened and publishers started to prefer franchises that can be annualized.

B_rich84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#30 B_rich84
Member since 2013 • 367 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

Loading Video...

Space Engineers has been out going on 2 years now for PC. I have about 25 or so hours in it. It's not my favorite builder (that would Terraria) but it's pretty fun. It does suck to have spent 8 hours on a ship only to have it rammed and destroyed by another player lol.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60681 Posts

I'd prefer No Mans Sky because its coming to PS4.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

@Heil68 said:

What if current gen console leader is not ready for domination in space???

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60681 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@Heil68 said:

What if current gen console leader is not ready for domination in space???

I'd still prefer console version :P

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@pelvist said:

@sSubZerOo said:

Other than Star Citizen there is a game called Flagship which is like an RTS but you control the fleet in first person on board a capital ship. It failed its Kickstarter but the devs are still making it as far as I know. There is also Pulsar: Last Colony which is kind of like a first person version of Faster Than Light and your crew members are controlled by up to four other players.

Available now there is the X series which let you pilot capital ships but (without mods/cheats) it can take a VERY long time to reach a point where you would have enough money to afford one.

Piloting capital ships in X series is unfortunately shitty.. The best simulator I have come across for one is Nexus The Jupiter Incident.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By lamprey263

@pelvist said:

The term "console exclusive" however exercised in its context on SW is just a term made up by console gamers to suit their needs in an argument that can only be won by excluding the PC platform from it.

Exactly!! When it comes to the console fanboys we simply don't care largely if PC has it, it comes down to which console gets what and which one doesn't. You're pretty much making my point.

And, from the horse's mouth...

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#36 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

We haven't seen a single thing from No Man's Sky since Sony announced they were paying for timed exclusivity.

Elite is already out and proving itself as a good space flight game.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

Havent seen enough of No Man's Sky to make a judgement. Let's face it, it could be quite shallow at this point. A sort of Journey in space. I hope it isn't, the idea is there.

Elite is the sequel to one of the games I've enjoyed the most at one stage. Back in the day I got into Elite. It was a slow paced, slow burner which grew on you as your ship grew. Haven't played the new one, but I'm going to.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

Elite Dangerous simply because they have the entire milky way galaxy mapped out into one game based on actual NASA mapping. That alone makes me love Elite Dangerous. That is an insane amount of work.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19550 Posts

I don't have any doubt that Elite Dangerous will be the better game.

No Man's Sky might still be fun though, provided that they can fill the game with rewarding gameplay.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#40  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58643 Posts

Perhaps some of you are too young. Being an older person, mature, wise and knowledgeable, when bringing up the video game "No Mans skys", and the impressive footage shown off, for the sake of objectivity, this comes to mind.

Loading Video...

Then I saw the movie.

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

Elite Dangerous simply because it's already released and I can actually play it.

Avatar image for iknowwhatswrong
IKnowWhatsWrong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By IKnowWhatsWrong
Member since 2015 • 163 Posts

I vote for Star Citizen!