Sony's PSVita 2 years ago

#1 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (8709 posts) -

John Koller admits that PS Vita's message of "console-like games on portables" is essentially the same as PSP's, but argues that there was a significant problem with how developers approached that idea before.

"The issue that happened with PSP is we got overrun with ports," he explains. "It became very difficult for us to define what made PSP unique. The content development became a bit unstructured or decentralized, in that we got a lot of content that was on PlayStation 2 and got thrown over to the handheld."

Link

That type of strategy died quickly and the Vita is just like the PSP as well as a PS4 useless accessory

#2 Posted by MonsieurX (30010 posts) -

2 times less games!

#3 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (4647 posts) -

All that potential squandered.

At least I have Murasaki Baby and Hotline Miami 2.

#4 Posted by SolidGame_basic (17395 posts) -

I wasn't that crazy about PSP, but at the time it did have the advantage of being a unique media device. When Vita came out, smart phones and tablets were taking off and selling like crazy. Asking people to pay $250/$300 plus memory card for another device was a difficult proposition

#5 Posted by Telekill (4525 posts) -
#6 Posted by PapaTrop (860 posts) -

The PSP was alright. There were lots of unique games, and heavy Japanese focus. If you liked the PS1 or 2 you'd have liked the PSP.

That's all people wanted from the PS Vita though, but Sony came out of the gate talking about lots of high-budget, western blockbuster focus, and that's not the kind of experience people buy handhelds for. They didn't have to make the system as powerful as they did because no dev was ever going to take advantage of it in the grand scheme of things.

And they're obviously hurt on the Japanese side considering 3DS and smartphones are the two big earners over there.

It's like the spent all their time listening to the American and European markets when it was the Japanese gaming industry that drove the PSP's success.

#7 Posted by Suppaman100 (3863 posts) -

The handheld market is dying anyway. Even in Japan it's not doing as good as before.

Even if Vita would have a great library, I really doubt it would've been a commercial success.

Anyway, Nintendo is the only one that really needs to worry, since handhelds are their bread and butter.

#8 Posted by GTSaiyanjin2 (5867 posts) -

I think it all comes down to price. But I also dont think there is a market for a handheld here in america, at least one thats not made by Nintendo.

#9 Posted by KBFloYd (13440 posts) -

nintendo did the same thing with the wiiU....they said turd parties would be on board this time.

was a lie like the vita was.

#10 Posted by Vatusus (4597 posts) -

At least the PSP still got its fair share of great AAA exclusives something the Vita didnt... I ponderated buying the upcoming Adventure Mega Pack bundle but I changed my mind. No point in buying a console that wont be supported in the future.

#11 Posted by UnbiasedPoster (774 posts) -

No one cares about the Vita.

Not cows.

Not Sony.

Not anyone.

I don't know why sheeps keep bringing it up as some form of ownage. No one gives a shit.

#12 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (8709 posts) -

No one cares about the Vita.

Not cows.

Not Sony.

Not anyone.

I don't know why sheeps keep bringing it up as some form of ownage. No one gives a shit.

First of all, Sheep is both singular and plural, I don't know why other fanboys always add an extra s in sheep? Secondly, there are just too many "new" 3DS threads so I thought about picking on the Vita, especially against those hardcore cows as well.

#13 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (7435 posts) -

Vita: It only does weeaboo games and multiplat indy's. lulz