Sony's PlayStation 4 can now play 3D Blu-rays

• 56 results
#1 Edited by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

Well that's one less thing lems can complain about with the PS4. It now plays 3D movies. I knew all these issues would be fixed before I got one.

#2 Posted by clyde46 (46283 posts) -

Thats nice?

#3 Edited by lostrib (36959 posts) -

Good, I will make sure not to use that feature

#4 Posted by freedomfreak (40570 posts) -

Riveting.

#5 Posted by SolidTy (43300 posts) -

PS3 could already do that and is my main Blu-Ray player despite a PS4 and Xbone in the same room.

It's nice there is a second option for 3D Blu-Rays in the house though and I know eventually Xbone has plans to do 3D as well at some point.

#6 Posted by _Matt_ (8911 posts) -

Meh, good for those who like to get eye strain and headaches whilst watching films I guess...

I'll stick with me regular BDs ta.

#7 Posted by ShoTTyMcNaDeS (2087 posts) -

HA! 3D movies!!! 90% of them are horrible! But Im sure the Cows will use this as a bragging point some how!!

#8 Posted by DocSanchez (1602 posts) -

Might watch Dredd in celebration. Still the best 3D film so far.

#9 Edited by cfisher2833 (1691 posts) -

....it couldn't before?

@_Matt_ Yeah, the only 3D film that never gave me a headache and eyestrain was the HFR Hobbit. 24fps just doesn't work with 3D.

#10 Posted by xhawk27 (7316 posts) -

@SolidTy said:

PS3 could already do that and is my main Blu-Ray player despite a PS4 and Xbone in the same room.

It's nice there is a second option for 3D Blu-Rays in the house though and I know eventually Xbone has plans to do 3D as well at some point.

Next month. Funny Sony had nine months to add-in 3D support and they do it right before August.

#11 Edited by thehig1 (2000 posts) -

I actually prefer 2d over 3d, especially at the cinema the picture is too dark with the glasses on.

#12 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4781 posts) -
@thehig1 said:

I actually prefer 2d over 3d, especially at the cinema the picture is too dark with the glasses on.

yeap. you're not alone.

#13 Edited by LadyBlue (3928 posts) -

@xhawk27 said:

@SolidTy said:

Next month. Funny Sony had nine months to add-in 3D support and they do it right before August.

It's only funny to you trolls/fanboys.

#14 Posted by xhawk27 (7316 posts) -

@ladyblue said:

@xhawk27 said:

@SolidTy said:

Aren't you one of them too?

#15 Posted by Chutebox (37218 posts) -

@ShoTTyMcNaDeS said:

HA! 3D movies!!! 90% of them are horrible! But Im sure the Cows will use this as a bragging point some how!!

You apparently missed all the lems bragging when MS announced it a couple weeks ago

#16 Posted by Chutebox (37218 posts) -
@DocSanchez said:

Might watch Dredd in celebration. Still the best 3D film so far.

Oooo, never thought about that one. Tried Desolation of Smaug and I couldn't stand it. Hurt my eyeballs.

#17 Posted by AmazonAngry (945 posts) -

Yep. Saw that update last night.

SDC

#18 Posted by xhawk27 (7316 posts) -

@Chutebox said:

@ShoTTyMcNaDeS said:

You apparently missed all the lems bragging when MS announced it a couple weeks ago

Yeah and all the Cows claimed they didn't care for 3D. ;)

#19 Posted by Chutebox (37218 posts) -
@xhawk27 said:

@Chutebox said:

@ShoTTyMcNaDeS said:

Yeah and all the Cows claimed they didn't care for 3D. ;)

100% correct. The world we live in!

#20 Edited by sailor232 (4711 posts) -

Great stuff, I really enjoy watching 3d movies, I really really need to watch Dredd in 3d, love that movie. Just watched Frozen in 3d and thought they did a great job, Pacific Rim and Prometheus are the most amazing movies in 3d, to watch that is.

#21 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (7121 posts) -

Golf clap?

Golf clap.

#22 Edited by Shadowchronicle (26039 posts) -

Looks like it's time for us to pack up our bags and throw our Xbox ones out the window. PS4 has 3D.

#23 Posted by Netret0120 (2150 posts) -

Good feature to have. I wonder if People use the function often though. I watch the odd Blu ray on my PS3 but they seriously need External HDD support before i get my ps4

#24 Edited by tubbyc (3742 posts) -

That's really good news that their latest console now supports it. I got my replacement PS3 not long ago which should last a long time, and can't see myself ever getting a third PS3, but I may want a replacement PS4 some day. Never had any issue with 3D movies, like eye-strain or headaches.

#25 Posted by hiphops_savior (7910 posts) -

Maybe I might use it if my PS3 suddenly breaks down?

#26 Edited by Midnightshade29 (5311 posts) -

@shadowchronicle said:

Looks like it's time for us to pack up our bags and throw our Xbox ones out the window. PS4 has 3D.

Having an xbone to throw out the window in the first place.....is doing it wrong.. :P

#27 Posted by sts106mat (19846 posts) -

some films are better in 3D like gravity for example.

I dont use the 3D feature of my TV all that often, but when i do i use my 3D bluray player.

#28 Posted by CyberLips (1824 posts) -

Cool but who watches 3D movies? I can only wear 3D glasses for 10 minutes before my eyes start to water.

#29 Posted by Mr_Huggles_dog (1197 posts) -

I'd rather have the option than not have it....nothing negative about this.

Haters gonna hate bc they need the boost in personal morale.

#30 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (4418 posts) -

@ladyblue said:

@xhawk27 said:

@SolidTy said:

It's tedious to me. There are no games on the current gen consoles, so media functionality should have been the priority in the first year for both MS and Sony.

#31 Edited by scottpsfan14 (5241 posts) -

Whoop de fucking doo.

Fuck the world because IDGAF.

#32 Posted by Mr_Huggles_dog (1197 posts) -

@HalcyonScarlet: I have a bunch of games for my PS4.

You right?

#33 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (4418 posts) -
@mr_huggles_dog said:

@HalcyonScarlet: I have a bunch of games for my PS4.

You right?

I'm only planning on getting exclusives on my X1.

I was considering getting rid of it as I was interested in the Wii U for the exclusives and upcoming games on that, but realised I would lose a ton of money doing that. The X1 has lost an unbelievable amount of value for early adopters.

#34 Edited by getyeryayasout (7496 posts) -

I don't hate 3D, it's just that there is such a small handful of movies that do it well that I couldn't justify the extra cost when I bought my newest tv a few years back. Nice that it's available on the PS4 now, but like others have said, I use my PS3 for my bluray watchin'.

#35 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151048 posts) -

@lostrib said:

Good, I will make sure not to use that feature

Couldn't have said it better....

#36 Posted by gameofthering (10256 posts) -

I've stopped buying 3D movies a while back.

#37 Edited by GoldenElementXL (3197 posts) -

I watch a ton of 3D movies. Unfortunately for the PS4 I already have 3 3D capable bluray players in the house. So this new feature will likely go unused.

#38 Posted by tormentos (18101 posts) -

@xhawk27 said:

@SolidTy said:

Funny MS had those same 9 months to implement it,and will do it on August...lol

#39 Posted by Heirren (17075 posts) -

This only reminds me how I'd like to get around to fixing the broken plasma I have sitting around. 3D Bluray....................interesting to witness a well done disc, but really just a novelty. Gran Turismo 5 in 3D was pretty slick but it literally went so fast my eyes wanted to bleed--it reminded me of those films where the villian attempts to torture a suspect through repeated visual cues.

#40 Posted by donalbane (16342 posts) -

I like 3D... can't wait to get the final Hobbit movie on blu ray. But what will keep me from watching 3d movies on my PS4 is the lack of universal remote support. The PS3 supported it right out of the box... they even sold a dedicated remote. I really wish they would hurry up and make my Harmony work with the PS4.

Also, does this mean you will be able to rent 3d movies from the PSN store? I sure hope so, but I am cautiously optimistic.

#41 Edited by Shielder7 (5152 posts) -

Great Now I just need to buy a $4,000 TV so I can wear goofy glasses that will give me a headache.

#42 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (8773 posts) -

Sony adds this and remote downloads that power up your console suspiciously after Microsoft had first announced both.

#43 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (7280 posts) -

Well, that is good news if I ever decide to purchase a PS4. I definitely prefer 3D to 2D.

#44 Edited by GoldenElementXL (3197 posts) -

@Shielder7 said:

Great Now I just need to buy a $4,000 TV so I can wear goofy glasses that will give me a headache.

You haven't looked at TV. prices recently have you? You can get a 50" Sony Bravia 3D T.V. for $999.99. 48" Samsung 3D T.V. for $899.99. Hell you can get a Samsung 65" 4K 3D T.V. for well under your mentioned $4,000.

Now I have nothing for the goofy glasses and headache part of your post. Pretty much spot on.

#45 Posted by Desmonic (14056 posts) -

Yay! All those 5 people that gave a crap are super happy right now! :D

#46 Edited by Zelda187 (863 posts) -

3D is a gimmick

I can't believe this shit hasn't died off for like the 5th time yet.

#47 Edited by HadOne2Many (1279 posts) -

Nice feature to have. Hard to find a HDTV over 40 inches that isn't 3D ready these days, might as well be able to take advantage of that for the few movies that are good to watch in 3D.

#48 Posted by LadyBlue (3928 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

Yay! All those 5 people that gave a crap are super happy right now! :D

You wish the vita had 3d. ;)

#49 Posted by bbkkristian (14952 posts) -

And nobody cares.

#50 Posted by Boddicker (2732 posts) -

I still haven't watched a movie in 3D.

No, not even at the theaters.