sony's 'home'. all beauty, no fun.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

captainlouie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 captainlouie
Member since 2006 • 753 Posts
first of all. making your own characters, bowling, and playing pool has to be called a copy of nintendo's wii. granted, you could do more with your characters looks. but the pool and bowling looked very weak. and the biggest benifit of the miis is their inclusion in real games. not just sitting around on couches. and hanging out with your friends at 'home' appeared very lame. who really does this? if a friend and i are both on the ps3, connected by the internet, we'd better be playing games. not just talking. i did like being able to design your home. it's not a new idea by any means. but it appeared to be well done. but i think that this is just another time where sony has made something very beautiful. but the simple wiisports with miis win out by being more fun.
KeyWii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 KeyWii
Member since 2006 • 4884 Posts
You think Home looks beautiful? Oh that explains it, you're a sheep.
StephenKing_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 StephenKing_1
Member since 2003 • 701 Posts

I haven't seen anyone explain exactly what the point of Home is?

Is every room just a place to sit around and chat with strangers?

Mizuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Mizuke
Member since 2005 • 1159 Posts
Pool didn't look weak to me. :)
topcatyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 topcatyo
Member since 2006 • 1732 Posts
Yay for opinions!  Yay for completely ignoring the sticky!
Acenso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Acenso
Member since 2006 • 2355 Posts
Funny. They are adding those little mini games there in. Too bad Nintendo has them out already LOL
KeyWii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 KeyWii

StephenKing_1
It's a virtual hub where you can jump into online games with other people, friends or strangers.
captainlouie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 captainlouie

StephenKing_1
that's about it. design your character. design your home. then sit around.
StephenKing_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 StephenKing_1
Member since 2003 • 701 Posts
[QUOTE="StephenKing_1"]

KeyWii

It's a virtual hub where you can jump into online games with other people, friends or strangers.

And...?

Can't you just boot up a game and do that?

captainlouie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 captainlouie
Yay for opinions!  Yay for completely ignoring the sticky!topcatyo
thanks for the support. it wouldn't be the first time i've been blocked. i hate stickies. who really reads the 800th post to anything.
GEMINI_CYBORG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GEMINI_CYBORG
Member since 2007 • 238 Posts
Hold on. I've experienced MMOs before. WoW, to be exact. Sony trys to make people buy Home. Let's see here:
Music: What are iPods, Napster, iTunes and such for?
Videos: YouTube gets me ametur videos and now everyone's putting their shows online. So, really, no point.
Apartment owning: An apartment? Oh, come on. You can get a house on SL!
3D Chat: Any MMO can do that, just look at WoW the main point is to meet friends and have fun.
Games: SL, Wii Sports and bascially anyone can do that. Is there anything intresting? No? Oh well.

Come on Sony basically everything there is can be done with what we have.
/thread

captainlouie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 captainlouie
You think Home looks beautiful? Oh that explains it, you're a sheep.KeyWii
i want to argue with you. but yes, i thought it was beautiful. and yes, i am a sheep. you really think it looks bad?
Sexy_FFVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Sexy_FFVII
Member since 2006 • 903 Posts
LOL, more idiotic topics from the Sheep.
KeyWii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 KeyWii
Hold on. I've experienced MMOs before. WoW, to be exact. Sony trys to make people buy Home. Let's see here:
Videos: YouTube gets me ametur videos and now everyone's putting their shows online. So, really, no point.
3D Chat: Any MMO can do that, just look at WoW the main point is to meet friends and have fun.
Games: SL, Wii Sports and bascially anyone can do that. Is there anything intresting? No? Oh well.

/thread

GEMINI_CYBORG

Home is free to use.
Dr_Evil_PhD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Dr_Evil_PhD
Member since 2006 • 1507 Posts
meh, I wasn't really impressed with home. I'm still waiting for sony to give me something that I don't already have on my 360 or PC. :?
Mizuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Mizuke
Member since 2005 • 1159 Posts

/thread

GEMINI_CYBORG
But Sony unifies those features. You've just named a tonne of different services.
topcatyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 topcatyo
Member since 2006 • 1732 Posts

[QUOTE="topcatyo"]Yay for opinions!  Yay for completely ignoring the sticky!captainlouie
thanks for the support. it wouldn't be the first time i've been blocked. i hate stickies. who really reads the 800th post to anything.

Who really needs to read the 800th + topic about the same thing over and over again?

solidsnakeEx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#18 solidsnakeEx3
Member since 2004 • 26413 Posts
Home sounds great.  You can customize a lot and there is a lot of interactivity within a "space".  However I agree, it'll probably get boring quick.  It's a hype creator for people who like customization, and developers that are easily excited by achievements and making their own Home Spaces.
Avatar image for deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
deactivated-57af49c27f4e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#19 deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
Member since 2005 • 14149 Posts
i think it's a pretty good idea, it's getting too bashed. however, i haven't seen any footage yet, so i guess i'll stay neutral.
KeyWii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 KeyWii
[QUOTE="KeyWii"]You think Home looks beautiful? Oh that explains it, you're a sheep.captainlouie
i want to argue with you. but yes, i thought it was beautiful. and yes, i am a sheep. you really think it looks bad?

It looks good for what it's designed to do, but it's by no means beautiful. I know the Wii couldn't run the application. X360 may not be able to do it unless they toned down all the video streaming (cell is excellent at streaming video)
captainlouie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 captainlouie

[QUOTE="captainlouie"][QUOTE="topcatyo"]Yay for opinions!  Yay for completely ignoring the sticky!topcatyo

Who really needs to read the 800th + topic about the same thing over and over again?

you're here. plus this thing just happened. can't we freely talk about the gdc. things don't happen that fast in the video game world. if topics are all considered old after just a few days then no one would be in system wars.
Hman321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Hman321
Member since 2007 • 1271 Posts
[QUOTE="captainlouie"]first of all. making your own characters, bowling, and playing pool has to be called a copy of nintendo's wii. granted, you could do more with your characters looks. but the pool and bowling looked very weak. and the biggest benifit of the miis is their inclusion in real games. not just sitting around on couches. and hanging out with your friends at 'home' appeared very lame. who really does this? if a friend and i are both on the ps3, connected by the internet, we'd better be playing games. not just talking. i did like being able to design your home. it's not a new idea by any means. but it appeared to be well done. but i think that this is just another time where sony has made something very beautiful. but the simple wiisports with miis win out by being more fun.

thank you for your opinion but it really not need it here
Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts
I after I create my character and deorate my pad , I will probably visit home on a weekly basis just to see the latest stuff . Who knows maybe I will meet a couple of cool people and we can launch into a Motorstorm game together.

Maybe later on I will go back there and look at my trophies just for my personal satisfaction.

Sounds cool to me.

Truth01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24 Truth01
Member since 2005 • 2732 Posts
I'm not getting your point on how Home is like the Mii system.

I see no negatives in Home only positives.
JeffGenocideX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 JeffGenocideX
Member since 2004 • 4853 Posts
Home is for Teenagers.
Flame1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Flame1
Member since 2003 • 463 Posts
it be cool if you could set up a little poker game in your home. or a pool game which they already showed but in your apartment with your friends. i got a lot of friends who live far away at different colleges so this would be pretty cool for playing with them. at the same time i could play my music or videos. sounds pretty fun to me.
Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27 Omni-Slash
Member since 2003 • 54450 Posts
my only complaint is that it looks as though setting up online matches will be tedious and time consuming......not to mention it's yet another thing that takes away from actually playing games on a gaming system.......but for chatting and such it does look like fun.....
Truth01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#28 Truth01
Member since 2005 • 2732 Posts
my only complaint is that it looks as though setting up online matches will be tedious and time consuming......not to mention it's yet another thing that takes away from actually playing games on a gaming system.......but for chatting and such it does look like fun.....Omni-Slash
Home is extremely simplistic in function and design, so it would only make sense that the lobby system is that same.
_AsasN_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 _AsasN_
Member since 2003 • 3646 Posts
[QUOTE="captainlouie"]first of all. making your own characters, bowling, and playing pool has to be called a copy of nintendo's wii. granted, you could do more with your characters looks. but the pool and bowling looked very weak. and the biggest benifit of the miis is their inclusion in real games. not just sitting around on couches. and hanging out with your friends at 'home' appeared very lame. who really does this? if a friend and i are both on the ps3, connected by the internet, we'd better be playing games. not just talking. i did like being able to design your home. it's not a new idea by any means. but it appeared to be well done. but i think that this is just another time where sony has made something very beautiful. but the simple wiisports with miis win out by being more fun.

Explain to me how could possibly know Mii's are more fun than something you have only seen and never tried for yourself. Also note that Home isn't even complete. Man this fanboy crap is getting annoying. Is there anybody in these forums who can handle an actual discussion about video games? That is what we're here for afterall.
SergeantSnitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SergeantSnitch
Member since 2007 • 3692 Posts
my only complaint is that it looks as though setting up online matches will be tedious and time consuming......not to mention it's yet another thing that takes away from actually playing games on a gaming system.......but for chatting and such it does look like fun.....Omni-Slash
I agree but I think it will work out fine.
jechtshot78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jechtshot78
Member since 2004 • 29851 Posts
I thought it looked pretty fun. :)
Avatar image for playstationhome
playstationhome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 playstationhome
Member since 2007 • 59 Posts
[QUOTE="KeyWii"][QUOTE="StephenKing_1"]

StephenKing_1

And...?

Can't you just boot up a game and do that?

i dont think u get the concept of home i do understand that tho concidering they have alot more to anounce about it but...but just to clear it up a bit for you... it will have everything xbox live has cept picture live in a 3d world and picture basically a cursor but instead of that its a character based off you plus extras like you get a home decerate it ect... i cant fit everything into 1 answer

bam11bam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 bam11bam
Member since 2005 • 846 Posts
I wonder if i can buy a 360 and put it in my "Home"...:P
captainlouie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 captainlouie
[QUOTE="_AsasN_"][QUOTE="captainlouie"]first of all. making your own characters, bowling, and playing pool has to be called a copy of nintendo's wii. granted, you could do more with your characters looks. but the pool and bowling looked very weak. and the biggest benifit of the miis is their inclusion in real games. not just sitting around on couches. and hanging out with your friends at 'home' appeared very lame. who really does this? if a friend and i are both on the ps3, connected by the internet, we'd better be playing games. not just talking. i did like being able to design your home. it's not a new idea by any means. but it appeared to be well done. but i think that this is just another time where sony has made something very beautiful. but the simple wiisports with miis win out by being more fun.

Explain to me how could possibly know Mii's are more fun than something you have only seen and never tried for yourself. Also note that Home isn't even complete. Man this fanboy crap is getting annoying. Is there anybody in these forums who can handle an actual discussion about video games? That is what we're here for afterall.

making your miis and playing wiisports with them is fun. i've seen countless people play it and all have tons of fun. can you picture sony putting together video after video of people playing 'home'. smiling, laughing, and jumping up and down.
Sgt_Hale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Sgt_Hale
Member since 2007 • 2257 Posts

StephenKing_1
Have you ever played an MMORPG before? Just like any other clan clubhouse, Home gives each owner their own personal space as well as public spaces to meet with gamers of similar interests. Game developers will also be give public spaces so gamer's can meet at say EA's or Square-Enix's lounge where they may find new trailer's or news about games from the devs, meet gamer's that like the same games they do, or try any of the Home games that the dev has set up in their lounge. Other than that it pretty much unifies the online gaming experience amongst games similar to XBL... and if you don't want to have fun in the virtual world, you still have access to all of the options of Home directly from the XMB without having to launch Home. It's a very slick service.
_AsasN_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 _AsasN_
Member since 2003 • 3646 Posts
[QUOTE="captainlouie"][QUOTE="_AsasN_"][QUOTE="captainlouie"]first of all. making your own characters, bowling, and playing pool has to be called a copy of nintendo's wii. granted, you could do more with your characters looks. but the pool and bowling looked very weak. and the biggest benifit of the miis is their inclusion in real games. not just sitting around on couches. and hanging out with your friends at 'home' appeared very lame. who really does this? if a friend and i are both on the ps3, connected by the internet, we'd better be playing games. not just talking. i did like being able to design your home. it's not a new idea by any means. but it appeared to be well done. but i think that this is just another time where sony has made something very beautiful. but the simple wiisports with miis win out by being more fun.

making your miis and playing wiisports with them is fun. i've seen countless people play it and all have tons of fun. can you picture sony putting together video after video of people playing 'home'. smiling, laughing, and jumping up and down.

You didn't answer my question.
Sgt_Hale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Sgt_Hale

What really doesn't make sense is that lems & sheep act like it is stupid to have a service that allows for interactive chatting IN ADDITION to unifying the online gaming experience for the console.... and yet most of you spend a lot of time chatting on these forums :roll:

Well now cows basically get thier OWN forum that won't be populated by trolls that just happens to be 10-20x better than the standard forum such as GS. And if we're supposed to think that is a bad thing.... well, then you shouldn't even be on here!

Sgt_Hale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Sgt_Hale

You may have missed the interview that Phil gave stating that you have access to all of the options of Home on the XMB without having to launch Home. We will presumably have quite a few options from the games themselves as well. In the interview he says that they still have not released all of the features to us yet.... what was shown was mainly geared towards the developers.

EDIT: And b/c I know that someone will ask for a link. It is on IGN's PS3 page under their GDC coverage... believe the title is Phil's Home. Don't be lazy.... go look for yourself. :P

Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#39 Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts

You know this because?

Oh, heh... sorry, I thought for a second that this thread might have some merit. It doesn't, of course.
captainlouie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 captainlouie
[QUOTE="_AsasN_"][QUOTE="captainlouie"][QUOTE="_AsasN_"][QUOTE="captainlouie"]first of all. making your own characters, bowling, and playing pool has to be called a copy of nintendo's wii. granted, you could do more with your characters looks. but the pool and bowling looked very weak. and the biggest benifit of the miis is their inclusion in real games. not just sitting around on couches. and hanging out with your friends at 'home' appeared very lame. who really does this? if a friend and i are both on the ps3, connected by the internet, we'd better be playing games. not just talking. i did like being able to design your home. it's not a new idea by any means. but it appeared to be well done. but i think that this is just another time where sony has made something very beautiful. but the simple wiisports with miis win out by being more fun.

untill sony starts putting out games for their system, we won't be able to discuss them.
Sgt_Hale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Sgt_Hale
[QUOTE="captainlouie"][QUOTE="_AsasN_"][QUOTE="captainlouie"][QUOTE="_AsasN_"][QUOTE="captainlouie"]first of all. making your own characters, bowling, and playing pool has to be called a copy of nintendo's wii. granted, you could do more with your characters looks. but the pool and bowling looked very weak. and the biggest benifit of the miis is their inclusion in real games. not just sitting around on couches. and hanging out with your friends at 'home' appeared very lame. who really does this? if a friend and i are both on the ps3, connected by the internet, we'd better be playing games. not just talking. i did like being able to design your home. it's not a new idea by any means. but it appeared to be well done. but i think that this is just another time where sony has made something very beautiful. but the simple wiisports with miis win out by being more fun.

untill sony starts putting out games for their system, we won't be able to discuss them.

I'm pretty sure this was the question he was referring to: Explain to me how could possibly know Mii's are more fun than something you have only seen and never tried for yourself. .....As for the games, Sony is putting out games and most of us having been very busy enjoying them, thanks.