Sony's Greatest Failure Might Just Be What Saves Them

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Xaero_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Xaero_Gravity
Member since 2011 • 9856 Posts
On September 17th, 2010, Sony made an attempt at grabbing the audience largely responsible for the Wii's success by releasing this:  The PlayStation Move. This here controller failed to achieve the success that both Kinect and Wii Remote had attained, but in doing so, it caused Sony to continue it's focus on the hardcore gaming audience. Microsoft found tremendous success with Kinect by appealing to the same casual audience that Nintendo won over with the Wii, and now seems primarily focused on that very same audience, and in the process alienating the audience that helped Microsoft find it's initial success in the console space, the hardcores. The very same audience Sony continues to support, and the very same audience that seems poised to help elivate the PlayStation 4 above it's competition. Nintendo overestimated the loyalty of the casual audience and now the Wii U is suffering because of that. A lesson Microsoft might just end up learning as well. In a perfect world all three consoles would have an even focus on both the casual and hardcore audience, but at least we have one that hasn't forgot what brought them to the dance. Of course this is all pure speculation and I'm no analyst, but if the rumours regarding the focus of the next Xbox are true, then I have very little hope of Microsoft winning me over. Is this kind of speculation premature? Am I an idiot? Voice your opinions folks!
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

yeah they totally learned a valuable lesson and that's why they didn't say anything about move at the reveal. :P

The_Pacific

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 The_Pacific
Member since 2011 • 1804 Posts
Sonys greatest failure is the PS Vita and that ain't saving anything :lol:
KarateeeChop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 KarateeeChop
Member since 2010 • 4666 Posts

sounds about right. sony is forced to feed the "core gamers" whether they like it or not, and it's not a bad thing. 

Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Eddie-Vedder
Member since 2003 • 7810 Posts

Move sold MILLIONS. It really wasn't a failure at all, Sony made money on it, and it's a peripheral, it fits a slot. Playing something like Tiger Woods on a big screen with the Move is an amazing experience. 

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

wait, i got another one.

cows to sw before ps4 reveal: "whaa!:cry:  we hate onlive, kinect and wiiu!"  

cows to sw after ps4 reveal. "omg! genkai, eyetoy and touchpad controller is awesome!!!"

Xaero_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Xaero_Gravity
Sonys greatest failure is the PS Vita and that ain't saving anything :lol:The_Pacific
You know what's sad? I genuinely forgot about the Vita. Thanks for completely defeating my point two posts in. :x
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#8 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

lol nintendo wasnt even going for casuals with the wiiu obvious troll is obvious,   

the system only been out 3 months 350 with hardly any of its killer aps, its like the ps3 and 3ds and vita,   i would stop being to quick on the gun cause 

1-sony hasnt priced ps4 yet and you think its going to miraculously save them

2 -if it only comes with killzone i guarantee you  people wont run ,  especally at a high 500 plus price

3 - and they did show off a move peripheral ---the camera portion of it , lol to say they havent is ludicarous   , they also said move wasnt going any where in fact their going to pump more move stuff for it once ps4 comes out 

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

[QUOTE="The_Pacific"]Sonys greatest failure is the PS Vita and that ain't saving anything :lol:Xaero_Gravity
You know what's sad? I genuinely forgot about the Vita. Thanks for completely defeating my point two posts in. :x

Isn't the Vita supposed to be compatible with the PS4?

maybe two wrongs will make a right for Sony with the PS4. :P

KarateeeChop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 KarateeeChop
Member since 2010 • 4666 Posts

being a more casual gamer, i personally had more fun with the wii than any other console this gen. it is quite the blast when you have someone to swing that wiimote with you.

and that got me thinking, why is it that motion control is only a failure when sony attempts it? is it because playstaion fanbase is made up of mostly "hardcore" basement gamer whose social life is defined by the amount of "girls" get pick up on playstation home? :shock:

Xaero_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Xaero_Gravity

lol nintendo wasnt even going for casuals with the wiiu obvious troll is obvious,   

the system only been out 3 months 350 with hardly any of its killer aps, its like the ps3 and 3ds and vita,   i would stop being to quick on the gun cause 

2 -if it only comes with killzone i guarantee you  people wont run ,  especally at a high 500 plus price

3 - and they did show off a move peripheral ---the camera portion of it , lol to say they havent is ludicarous   , they also said move wasnt going any where in fact their going to pump more move stuff for it once ps4 comes out 

mariokart64fan
All I did was prematurely declare the PS4 the winner, much like you tend to do regarding it's defeat. Main difference being that my post doesn't look like I banged my head against the keyboard unlike your posts. :) But I'm not declaring that Nintendo and Microsoft are doomed, just that their choices might be catching up with them. Like I said though, it's all speculation, so dry those tears.
II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts
Sonys greatest failure is the PS Vita and that ain't saving anything :lol:The_Pacific
I dunno, if this remote play is available with all PS4 games, I can imagine Vita sales going up. Its a smart play from Sony's point of view cause now the Vita will have a larger audience, those who are geniunely interested in a hand held and those who want it as a mobile PS4 for when its bed time. I personally would buy a Vita for nothing more than PS4 remote play. I think that would be fantastic if the feature is implemented properly
bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#13 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
Hehe I called it! I knew it would be the Move before the thread opened up? Where's my cookie? :D
Xaero_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Xaero_Gravity
Hehe I called it! I knew it would be the Move before the thread opened up? Where's my cookie? :Dbbkkristian
Clock-w0rk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Clock-w0rk
Member since 2012 • 3378 Posts

mariokart64fan

HaloPimp978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 HaloPimp978
Member since 2005 • 7329 Posts

As soon has I clicked on it I knew it was the move.

brofists

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 brofists
Member since 2011 • 2120 Posts
My goodness! This sounds like your average article from mainstrean gaming "journalists" A lot of spinning of the facts, and revisionist history going on... Sony has always focused on the core gamer, and was focusing on the core gamer before the move ever came out The move was simply just another option for gamers etc Sony never shoved move down our throats, like how Microsoft is shoving Kinect down every one's throats And even though move has been a success for Sony, you can check the stats, it has, Sony has continued to support core gamers like you and I Where as once Kinect had success, Microsoft abandoned ship to go chase the Wii's casual pot of gold Sony is the only one who has been there for the core gamer, and who has continued to support core gamers no matter what, so core gamers support Sony back...and its always been like that (before even move came out as previously mentioned) And Sony will continue to support the move, but they are also still going to be all for the core gamer! Sony balances it all out beautifully, unlike Microsoft! Sony is for the core gamer so if you are a core gamer, then give Sony your support and let the industry know we matter
Speedzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Speedzilla
Member since 2012 • 1732 Posts

The Move sold 15m+ units. I would hardly call that a failure. But thank God Sony didn't chase dat Wii pot of gold like M$.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you Sony.

OldSnakePS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 OldSnakePS3
Member since 2012 • 306 Posts

sony has always cared about the core gamer 1st but im thankful move didnt do as well as kinect :P

Avatar image for Douevenlift_bro
Douevenlift_bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Douevenlift_bro
Member since 2013 • 6804 Posts

mariokart64fan

Uh_wtf_gif.gif

Sheep have lost it.

DropsofJupiter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 DropsofJupiter
Member since 2013 • 1449 Posts
Uhhh, the PS Vita and Cell are bigger failures than the Move, I daresay :P
gamefan67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 gamefan67
Member since 2004 • 10034 Posts

wait, i got another one.

cows to sw after ps4 reveal. "omg! genkai, eyetoy and touchpad controller is awesome!!!"

Riverwolf007
heh.
DropsofJupiter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DropsofJupiter

Move sold MILLIONS. It really wasn't a failure at all, Sony made money on it, and it's a peripheral, it fits a slot. Playing something like Tiger Woods on a big screen with the Move is an amazing experience. 

Eddie-Vedder
Move is an amazing experience, and yet Wii and Kinect are gimmicky, casual focused trash? :roll: Eddie-Vedder strikes again, folks. Biggest hypocrite on this board bar none.
Xaero_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Xaero_Gravity
Uhhh, the PS Vita and Cell are bigger failures than the Move, I daresay :PDropsofJupiter
It genuinely slipped my mind man.
DropsofJupiter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DropsofJupiter
[QUOTE="DropsofJupiter"]Uhhh, the PS Vita and Cell are bigger failures than the Move, I daresay :PXaero_Gravity
It genuinely slipped my mind man.

That speaks loads, I guess lol
g0ddyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 g0ddyX
Member since 2005 • 3914 Posts

Move and Kinect do motion controlling better than the Wii.
Killzone 3 with the move set up is pretty epic if anyone has tried it.

There is room for some kind of immersive motion controlling like FPS realtime battle simulator..

DropsofJupiter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DropsofJupiter

There is room for some kind of immersive motion controlling like FPS realtime battle simulator..

g0ddyX
Kinect des motion controlling better than Wii? Lol
super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33098 Posts

[QUOTE="g0ddyX"]

DropsofJupiter

Kinect des motion controlling better than Wii? Lol

:lol:

That's funny.Anyway I'm not surprised goddy wrote that.

RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 RyanShazam
Member since 2006 • 6498 Posts

Came in expecting a Vita thread.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#30 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Motion controls have an audience and a place in games.  However, they simply haven't received proper attention in crafting a game with a larger scope and a deeper experience than what creators did with the gamepad.  It can work, but only if it improves upon what already exists instead of replacing all that is good with the way games already are with a cheap and straightforward gimmick.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

I'm a proud core Playstation gamer. Feed me Sony and I'll be loyal. :)

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

Motion controls are a gimmick for the most part. That's why Nintendo is facing the possibility of becoming a game software only company. They have motion controls and not enough else going for them. 

RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 RyanShazam
Member since 2006 • 6498 Posts

Motion controls are a gimmick for the most part. That's why Nintendo is facing the possibility of becoming a game software only company. They have motion controls and not enough else going for them. 

clr84651
Nintendo's handheld division can keep them in the console race for as long as they want.
blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

yeah they totally learned a valuable lesson and that's why they didn't say anything about move at the reveal. :P

Riverwolf007
They should one game (or demo) for the MOVE at the reveal. It was nothing special to me. Controlling some marionettes didn't get me too excited. Also Sony's biggest failure was the PSP Go. So far the PSVita is a close 2nd. Sony doesn't care much about the MOVE obviously, yet they continue to sell it with no games worth buying for it.
j_assassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 j_assassin
Member since 2012 • 1011 Posts
Kinect games are more fun than move, but maybe with a right game the move can be fun too
StrifeDelivery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 StrifeDelivery
Member since 2006 • 1901 Posts

wait, i got another one.

Riverwolf007

Well first it's Gaikai, not DBZ. Also haven't really seen too many people jumping for joy over the touch part in the new DS controller. Another thing about Gaikai is that it is a big unknown at the moment. PS4 seems to not natively support PS3 games, however, would be really neat if I insert a PS3 disk, PS4 identifies the game and Gaikai does the rest. That way no need to rebuy games. Until we learn more about what Gaikai will be able to offer, it's up for grabs. 

NineTailedGoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 NineTailedGoku
Member since 2012 • 1977 Posts

Lol @ making Kinect sound like it's as successful as the Wii. If Move failed,  then Kinect failed. There's only 5 mil in sales  between the 2 and they're both light years behind Wii sales. 

wakefulness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 wakefulness
Member since 2010 • 3989 Posts

Uhhh, the PS Vita and Cell are bigger failures than the Move, I daresay :PDropsofJupiter

You are asking for it. Do you want it? Because you're asking for trouble, bub.

DropsofJupiter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DropsofJupiter

[QUOTE="DropsofJupiter"]Uhhh, the PS Vita and Cell are bigger failures than the Move, I daresay :Pwakefulness

Yes, do explain to me how the Vita is not a failure. I will wait for your response, and then I will demolish it with facts such as hard sales numbers for the hardware, for the software, the projected sales numbers that were then slashed, the fact that Vita and PSP sales are now clubbed (and that even the combined PSP and Vita sales forecast was slashed). I will also present to you a list of the Vita's scheduled lineup for this year, as compared to the scheduled lineup for the 3DS this year, and for good measure, compare the Metacritic lists of both platforms, where the 3DS outnumbers the quality games on the Vita 5:1. Finally, for good measure, I shall also link you to statements from SCE executives that explicitly state the Vita has underperformed. Now if you want to prove to me in the face of all of this impending evidence that the Vita is not a failure? By all means, feel free to do so.
wakefulness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 wakefulness

[QUOTE="wakefulness"]

[QUOTE="DropsofJupiter"]Uhhh, the PS Vita and Cell are bigger failures than the Move, I daresay :PDropsofJupiter

Yes, do explain to me how the Vita is not a failure. I will wait for your response, and then I will demolish it with facts such as hard sales numbers for the hardware, for the software, the projected sales numbers that were then slashed, the fact that Vita and PSP sales are now clubbed (and that even the combined PSP and Vita sales forecast was slashed). I will also present to you a list of the Vita's scheduled lineup for this year, as compared to the scheduled lineup for the 3DS this year, and for good measure, compare the Metacritic lists of both platforms, where the 3DS outnumbers the quality games on the Vita 5:1. Finally, for good measure, I shall also link you to statements from SCE executives that explicitly state the Vita has underperformed. Now if you want to prove to me in the face of all of this impending evidence that the Vita is not a failure? By all means, feel free to do so.

Really? I would love to see that. Seriously. O.o

DropsofJupiter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DropsofJupiter

[QUOTE="DropsofJupiter"][QUOTE="wakefulness"]

wakefulness

The projected sales numbers for the PSP and Vita combined as of March 31, 2012 were 16 million units worldwide. By the end of the next quarter, Sony had slashed them down to 12 million worldwide. When it became clear that that target would also be missed, Sony slashed its projections downwards again to 10 million units. Finally, when it became clear that that projection would also be missed, Sony slashed the projections down to sub 10 million (I believe it was 8 million, but it might have been 6 million, this is around when I stopped keeping track of Vita's sales numbers) as of December 31, 2012. Now if you would like, I could link you to Sony's quarterly financial statements so you could see for yourself. It would be a big pain in the butt for me to find them for you and then link them, but if you want me to, I will.
wakefulness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 wakefulness

[QUOTE="wakefulness"]

[QUOTE="DropsofJupiter"] Yes, do explain to me how the Vita is not a failure. I will wait for your response, and then I will demolish it with facts such as hard sales numbers for the hardware, for the software, the projected sales numbers that were then slashed, the fact that Vita and PSP sales are now clubbed (and that even the combined PSP and Vita sales forecast was slashed). I will also present to you a list of the Vita's scheduled lineup for this year, as compared to the scheduled lineup for the 3DS this year, and for good measure, compare the Metacritic lists of both platforms, where the 3DS outnumbers the quality games on the Vita 5:1. Finally, for good measure, I shall also link you to statements from SCE executives that explicitly state the Vita has underperformed. Now if you want to prove to me in the face of all of this impending evidence that the Vita is not a failure? By all means, feel free to do so.DropsofJupiter

The projected sales numbers for the PSP and Vita combined as of March 31, 2012 were 16 million units worldwide. By the end of the next quarter, Sony had slashed them down to 12 million worldwide. When it became clear that that target would also be missed, Sony slashed its projections downwards again to 10 million units. Finally, when it became clear that that projection would also be missed, Sony slashed the projections down to sub 10 million (I believe it was 8 million, but it might have been 6 million, this is around when I stopped keeping track of Vita's sales numbers) as of December 31, 2012. Now if you would like, I could link you to Sony's quarterly financial statements so you could see for yourself. It would be a big pain in the butt for me to find them for you and then link them, but if you want me to, I will.

Nah, I saw them.

Is that all, though?

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

Move sold 15 million as of October of last year, Just because it didnt sell as well as Kinect its considred a failure?  The great thing is yes Sony focues more on the hardcore then anyone and thats whats most important. 

DropsofJupiter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 DropsofJupiter

wakefulness

Nah, I saw them.

Is that all, though?

Specifically talking about the sales projections (the one point that you highlighted in my post)? Yeah. I do have an equally extensive (if not more extensive) list for each of the other points that I listed though.
wakefulness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 wakefulness

[QUOTE="wakefulness"]

[QUOTE="DropsofJupiter"] The projected sales numbers for the PSP and Vita combined as of March 31, 2012 were 16 million units worldwide. By the end of the next quarter, Sony had slashed them down to 12 million worldwide. When it became clear that that target would also be missed, Sony slashed its projections downwards again to 10 million units. Finally, when it became clear that that projection would also be missed, Sony slashed the projections down to sub 10 million (I believe it was 8 million, but it might have been 6 million, this is around when I stopped keeping track of Vita's sales numbers) as of December 31, 2012. Now if you would like, I could link you to Sony's quarterly financial statements so you could see for yourself. It would be a big pain in the butt for me to find them for you and then link them, but if you want me to, I will.DropsofJupiter

Nah, I saw them.

Is that all, though?

Specifically talking about the sales projections (the one point that you highlighted in my post)? Yeah. I do have an equally extensive (if not more extensive) list for each of the other points that I listed though.

I thought that you would actually have an interesting arguement behind it; instead you just threw a cite at me.

All the same, VITA is awesome. Shame you don't own one or are not as enthusiastic (or not enthusiastic at all) toward the platform. But, whatever. You're loss IMHO. :)

Sagem28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Sagem28
Member since 2010 • 10498 Posts

And here I was thinking this was a Vita thread.

DropsofJupiter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 DropsofJupiter

Nah, I saw them.

Is that all, though?

wakefulness

I thought that you would actually have an interesting arguement behind it; instead you just threw a cite at me.

All the same, VITA is awesome. Shame you don't own one or are not as enthusiastic (or not enthusiastic at all) toward the platform. But, whatever. You're loss IMHO. :)

My argument is simple: all the facts point to the Vita being a failure in every regard. I am glad you like the Vita (I have used it extensively over a three month period, and I am in love with that hardware; I could not bring myself to go back to playing on my 3DS for weeks after that), and that you are satisfied with your purchase, but your personal feelings do not change the fact that by any objective barometer- sales performance of the hardware, sales performance of the software, performance relative to the competition, performance relative to the predecessor, performance relative to expectations, the library of established and released games, the library of upcoming games, first party support, third party support, you name it- the Vita is a failure. There literally is no argument to be made.
HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13636 Posts

Except 'Move' failed because Sony abandoned it like more or less every other peripheral they release.

handssss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 handssss
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

Except 'Move' failed because Sony abandoned it like more or less every other peripheral they release.

HalcyonScarlet
force =/= abandon. same goes for shoehorning like MS and having Kinect voice control BS in certain games. Like we really need a $200 motion sensor to do the same thing any typical headset could.
wakefulness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 wakefulness

[QUOTE="wakefulness"]

[QUOTE="DropsofJupiter"] Specifically talking about the sales projections (the one point that you highlighted in my post)? Yeah. I do have an equally extensive (if not more extensive) list for each of the other points that I listed though.DropsofJupiter

My argument is simple: all the facts point to the Vita being a failure in every regard. I am glad you like the Vita (I have used it extensively over a three month period, and I am in love with that hardware; I could not bring myself to go back to playing on my 3DS for weeks after that), and that you are satisfied with your purchase, but your personal feelings do not change the fact that by any objective barometer- sales performance of the hardware, sales performance of the software, performance relative to the competition, performance relative to the predecessor, performance relative to expectations, the library of established and released games, the library of upcoming games, first party support, third party support, you name it- the Vita is a failure. There literally is no argument to be made.

Still not buying it only bc the gaming industry has historically had companies whose product/services seemed to be in a total failure state only to rise to success, even if in relative terms. PS3 seemed like a total mismanaged thing from an engineering and marketing standpoint, but it managed to thrive and now Sony has recently green lit SCE to launch PS4.

Also, how can you not like TearAway dog? 

tearaway01.jpg

p.s. I think we are going off topic, Though, I don't remember what the OP was even talking about.Â