Sony's Greatest Failure Might Just Be What Saves Them

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Xaero_Gravity (8715 posts) -
On September 17th, 2010, Sony made an attempt at grabbing the audience largely responsible for the Wii's success by releasing this:  The PlayStation Move. This here controller failed to achieve the success that both Kinect and Wii Remote had attained, but in doing so, it caused Sony to continue it's focus on the hardcore gaming audience. Microsoft found tremendous success with Kinect by appealing to the same casual audience that Nintendo won over with the Wii, and now seems primarily focused on that very same audience, and in the process alienating the audience that helped Microsoft find it's initial success in the console space, the hardcores. The very same audience Sony continues to support, and the very same audience that seems poised to help elivate the PlayStation 4 above it's competition. Nintendo overestimated the loyalty of the casual audience and now the Wii U is suffering because of that. A lesson Microsoft might just end up learning as well. In a perfect world all three consoles would have an even focus on both the casual and hardcore audience, but at least we have one that hasn't forgot what brought them to the dance. Of course this is all pure speculation and I'm no analyst, but if the rumours regarding the focus of the next Xbox are true, then I have very little hope of Microsoft winning me over. Is this kind of speculation premature? Am I an idiot? Voice your opinions folks!
#2 Posted by Riverwolf007 (23586 posts) -

yeah they totally learned a valuable lesson and that's why they didn't say anything about move at the reveal. :P

#3 Posted by The_Pacific (1795 posts) -
Sonys greatest failure is the PS Vita and that ain't saving anything :lol:
#4 Posted by KarateeeChop (4590 posts) -

sounds about right. sony is forced to feed the "core gamers" whether they like it or not, and it's not a bad thing. 

#5 Posted by Eddie-Vedder (7785 posts) -

Move sold MILLIONS. It really wasn't a failure at all, Sony made money on it, and it's a peripheral, it fits a slot. Playing something like Tiger Woods on a big screen with the Move is an amazing experience. 

#6 Posted by Riverwolf007 (23586 posts) -

wait, i got another one.

cows to sw before ps4 reveal: "whaa!:cry:  we hate onlive, kinect and wiiu!"  

cows to sw after ps4 reveal. "omg! genkai, eyetoy and touchpad controller is awesome!!!"

#7 Posted by Xaero_Gravity (8715 posts) -
Sonys greatest failure is the PS Vita and that ain't saving anything :lol:The_Pacific
You know what's sad? I genuinely forgot about the Vita. Thanks for completely defeating my point two posts in. :x
#8 Posted by mariokart64fan (19389 posts) -

lol nintendo wasnt even going for casuals with the wiiu obvious troll is obvious,   

the system only been out 3 months 350 with hardly any of its killer aps, its like the ps3 and 3ds and vita,   i would stop being to quick on the gun cause 

1-sony hasnt priced ps4 yet and you think its going to miraculously save them

2 -if it only comes with killzone i guarantee you  people wont run ,  especally at a high 500 plus price

3 - and they did show off a move peripheral ---the camera portion of it , lol to say they havent is ludicarous   , they also said move wasnt going any where in fact their going to pump more move stuff for it once ps4 comes out 

#9 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (34145 posts) -

[QUOTE="The_Pacific"]Sonys greatest failure is the PS Vita and that ain't saving anything :lol:Xaero_Gravity
You know what's sad? I genuinely forgot about the Vita. Thanks for completely defeating my point two posts in. :x

Isn't the Vita supposed to be compatible with the PS4?

maybe two wrongs will make a right for Sony with the PS4. :P

#10 Posted by KarateeeChop (4590 posts) -

being a more casual gamer, i personally had more fun with the wii than any other console this gen. it is quite the blast when you have someone to swing that wiimote with you.

and that got me thinking, why is it that motion control is only a failure when sony attempts it? is it because playstaion fanbase is made up of mostly "hardcore" basement gamer whose social life is defined by the amount of "girls" get pick up on playstation home? :shock:

#11 Posted by Xaero_Gravity (8715 posts) -

lol nintendo wasnt even going for casuals with the wiiu obvious troll is obvious,   

the system only been out 3 months 350 with hardly any of its killer aps, its like the ps3 and 3ds and vita,   i would stop being to quick on the gun cause 

2 -if it only comes with killzone i guarantee you  people wont run ,  especally at a high 500 plus price

3 - and they did show off a move peripheral ---the camera portion of it , lol to say they havent is ludicarous   , they also said move wasnt going any where in fact their going to pump more move stuff for it once ps4 comes out 

mariokart64fan
All I did was prematurely declare the PS4 the winner, much like you tend to do regarding it's defeat. Main difference being that my post doesn't look like I banged my head against the keyboard unlike your posts. :) But I'm not declaring that Nintendo and Microsoft are doomed, just that their choices might be catching up with them. Like I said though, it's all speculation, so dry those tears.
#12 Posted by II_Seraphim_II (20493 posts) -
Sonys greatest failure is the PS Vita and that ain't saving anything :lol:The_Pacific
I dunno, if this remote play is available with all PS4 games, I can imagine Vita sales going up. Its a smart play from Sony's point of view cause now the Vita will have a larger audience, those who are geniunely interested in a hand held and those who want it as a mobile PS4 for when its bed time. I personally would buy a Vita for nothing more than PS4 remote play. I think that would be fantastic if the feature is implemented properly
#13 Posted by bbkkristian (14946 posts) -
Hehe I called it! I knew it would be the Move before the thread opened up? Where's my cookie? :D
#14 Posted by Xaero_Gravity (8715 posts) -
Hehe I called it! I knew it would be the Move before the thread opened up? Where's my cookie? :Dbbkkristian
#15 Posted by Clock-w0rk (3238 posts) -

mariokart64fan

#16 Posted by HaloPimp978 (7263 posts) -

As soon has I clicked on it I knew it was the move.

#17 Posted by brofists (2185 posts) -
My goodness! This sounds like your average article from mainstrean gaming "journalists" A lot of spinning of the facts, and revisionist history going on... Sony has always focused on the core gamer, and was focusing on the core gamer before the move ever came out The move was simply just another option for gamers etc Sony never shoved move down our throats, like how Microsoft is shoving Kinect down every one's throats And even though move has been a success for Sony, you can check the stats, it has, Sony has continued to support core gamers like you and I Where as once Kinect had success, Microsoft abandoned ship to go chase the Wii's casual pot of gold Sony is the only one who has been there for the core gamer, and who has continued to support core gamers no matter what, so core gamers support Sony back...and its always been like that (before even move came out as previously mentioned) And Sony will continue to support the move, but they are also still going to be all for the core gamer! Sony balances it all out beautifully, unlike Microsoft! Sony is for the core gamer so if you are a core gamer, then give Sony your support and let the industry know we matter
#18 Posted by Speedzilla (1756 posts) -

The Move sold 15m+ units. I would hardly call that a failure. But thank God Sony didn't chase dat Wii pot of gold like M$.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you Sony.

#19 Posted by OldSnakePS3 (310 posts) -

sony has always cared about the core gamer 1st but im thankful move didnt do as well as kinect :P

#20 Posted by Douevenlift_bro (5041 posts) -

mariokart64fan

Uh_wtf_gif.gif

Sheep have lost it.

#21 Posted by DropsofJupiter (1424 posts) -
Uhhh, the PS Vita and Cell are bigger failures than the Move, I daresay :P
#22 Posted by gamefan67 (9877 posts) -

wait, i got another one.

cows to sw after ps4 reveal. "omg! genkai, eyetoy and touchpad controller is awesome!!!"

Riverwolf007
heh.
#23 Posted by DropsofJupiter (1424 posts) -

Move sold MILLIONS. It really wasn't a failure at all, Sony made money on it, and it's a peripheral, it fits a slot. Playing something like Tiger Woods on a big screen with the Move is an amazing experience. 

Eddie-Vedder
Move is an amazing experience, and yet Wii and Kinect are gimmicky, casual focused trash? :roll: Eddie-Vedder strikes again, folks. Biggest hypocrite on this board bar none.
#24 Posted by Xaero_Gravity (8715 posts) -
Uhhh, the PS Vita and Cell are bigger failures than the Move, I daresay :PDropsofJupiter
It genuinely slipped my mind man.
#25 Posted by DropsofJupiter (1424 posts) -
[QUOTE="DropsofJupiter"]Uhhh, the PS Vita and Cell are bigger failures than the Move, I daresay :PXaero_Gravity
It genuinely slipped my mind man.

That speaks loads, I guess lol
#26 Posted by g0ddyX (3911 posts) -

Move and Kinect do motion controlling better than the Wii.
Killzone 3 with the move set up is pretty epic if anyone has tried it.

There is room for some kind of immersive motion controlling like FPS realtime battle simulator..

#27 Posted by DropsofJupiter (1424 posts) -

There is room for some kind of immersive motion controlling like FPS realtime battle simulator..

g0ddyX
Kinect des motion controlling better than Wii? Lol
#28 Posted by super600 (30406 posts) -

[QUOTE="g0ddyX"]

DropsofJupiter

Kinect des motion controlling better than Wii? Lol

:lol:

That's funny.Anyway I'm not surprised goddy wrote that.

#29 Posted by RyanShazam (6498 posts) -

Came in expecting a Vita thread.

#30 Posted by Basinboy (11071 posts) -

Motion controls have an audience and a place in games.  However, they simply haven't received proper attention in crafting a game with a larger scope and a deeper experience than what creators did with the gamepad.  It can work, but only if it improves upon what already exists instead of replacing all that is good with the way games already are with a cheap and straightforward gimmick.

#31 Posted by clr84651 (5392 posts) -

I'm a proud core Playstation gamer. Feed me Sony and I'll be loyal. :)

#32 Posted by clr84651 (5392 posts) -

Motion controls are a gimmick for the most part. That's why Nintendo is facing the possibility of becoming a game software only company. They have motion controls and not enough else going for them. 

#33 Posted by RyanShazam (6498 posts) -

Motion controls are a gimmick for the most part. That's why Nintendo is facing the possibility of becoming a game software only company. They have motion controls and not enough else going for them. 

clr84651
Nintendo's handheld division can keep them in the console race for as long as they want.
#34 Posted by blackace (20382 posts) -

yeah they totally learned a valuable lesson and that's why they didn't say anything about move at the reveal. :P

Riverwolf007
They should one game (or demo) for the MOVE at the reveal. It was nothing special to me. Controlling some marionettes didn't get me too excited. Also Sony's biggest failure was the PSP Go. So far the PSVita is a close 2nd. Sony doesn't care much about the MOVE obviously, yet they continue to sell it with no games worth buying for it.
#35 Posted by j_assassin (898 posts) -
Kinect games are more fun than move, but maybe with a right game the move can be fun too
#36 Posted by StrifeDelivery (1414 posts) -

wait, i got another one.

Riverwolf007

Well first it's Gaikai, not DBZ. Also haven't really seen too many people jumping for joy over the touch part in the new DS controller. Another thing about Gaikai is that it is a big unknown at the moment. PS4 seems to not natively support PS3 games, however, would be really neat if I insert a PS3 disk, PS4 identifies the game and Gaikai does the rest. That way no need to rebuy games. Until we learn more about what Gaikai will be able to offer, it's up for grabs. 

#37 Posted by NineTailedGoku (1927 posts) -

Lol @ making Kinect sound like it's as successful as the Wii. If Move failed,  then Kinect failed. There's only 5 mil in sales  between the 2 and they're both light years behind Wii sales. 

#38 Posted by wakefulness (3989 posts) -

Uhhh, the PS Vita and Cell are bigger failures than the Move, I daresay :PDropsofJupiter

You are asking for it. Do you want it? Because you're asking for trouble, bub.

#39 Posted by DropsofJupiter (1424 posts) -

[QUOTE="DropsofJupiter"]Uhhh, the PS Vita and Cell are bigger failures than the Move, I daresay :Pwakefulness

Yes, do explain to me how the Vita is not a failure. I will wait for your response, and then I will demolish it with facts such as hard sales numbers for the hardware, for the software, the projected sales numbers that were then slashed, the fact that Vita and PSP sales are now clubbed (and that even the combined PSP and Vita sales forecast was slashed). I will also present to you a list of the Vita's scheduled lineup for this year, as compared to the scheduled lineup for the 3DS this year, and for good measure, compare the Metacritic lists of both platforms, where the 3DS outnumbers the quality games on the Vita 5:1. Finally, for good measure, I shall also link you to statements from SCE executives that explicitly state the Vita has underperformed. Now if you want to prove to me in the face of all of this impending evidence that the Vita is not a failure? By all means, feel free to do so.
#40 Posted by wakefulness (3989 posts) -

[QUOTE="wakefulness"]

[QUOTE="DropsofJupiter"]Uhhh, the PS Vita and Cell are bigger failures than the Move, I daresay :PDropsofJupiter

Yes, do explain to me how the Vita is not a failure. I will wait for your response, and then I will demolish it with facts such as hard sales numbers for the hardware, for the software, the projected sales numbers that were then slashed, the fact that Vita and PSP sales are now clubbed (and that even the combined PSP and Vita sales forecast was slashed). I will also present to you a list of the Vita's scheduled lineup for this year, as compared to the scheduled lineup for the 3DS this year, and for good measure, compare the Metacritic lists of both platforms, where the 3DS outnumbers the quality games on the Vita 5:1. Finally, for good measure, I shall also link you to statements from SCE executives that explicitly state the Vita has underperformed. Now if you want to prove to me in the face of all of this impending evidence that the Vita is not a failure? By all means, feel free to do so.

Really? I would love to see that. Seriously. O.o

#41 Posted by DropsofJupiter (1424 posts) -

[QUOTE="DropsofJupiter"][QUOTE="wakefulness"]

wakefulness

The projected sales numbers for the PSP and Vita combined as of March 31, 2012 were 16 million units worldwide. By the end of the next quarter, Sony had slashed them down to 12 million worldwide. When it became clear that that target would also be missed, Sony slashed its projections downwards again to 10 million units. Finally, when it became clear that that projection would also be missed, Sony slashed the projections down to sub 10 million (I believe it was 8 million, but it might have been 6 million, this is around when I stopped keeping track of Vita's sales numbers) as of December 31, 2012. Now if you would like, I could link you to Sony's quarterly financial statements so you could see for yourself. It would be a big pain in the butt for me to find them for you and then link them, but if you want me to, I will.
#42 Posted by wakefulness (3989 posts) -

[QUOTE="wakefulness"]

[QUOTE="DropsofJupiter"] Yes, do explain to me how the Vita is not a failure. I will wait for your response, and then I will demolish it with facts such as hard sales numbers for the hardware, for the software, the projected sales numbers that were then slashed, the fact that Vita and PSP sales are now clubbed (and that even the combined PSP and Vita sales forecast was slashed). I will also present to you a list of the Vita's scheduled lineup for this year, as compared to the scheduled lineup for the 3DS this year, and for good measure, compare the Metacritic lists of both platforms, where the 3DS outnumbers the quality games on the Vita 5:1. Finally, for good measure, I shall also link you to statements from SCE executives that explicitly state the Vita has underperformed. Now if you want to prove to me in the face of all of this impending evidence that the Vita is not a failure? By all means, feel free to do so.DropsofJupiter

The projected sales numbers for the PSP and Vita combined as of March 31, 2012 were 16 million units worldwide. By the end of the next quarter, Sony had slashed them down to 12 million worldwide. When it became clear that that target would also be missed, Sony slashed its projections downwards again to 10 million units. Finally, when it became clear that that projection would also be missed, Sony slashed the projections down to sub 10 million (I believe it was 8 million, but it might have been 6 million, this is around when I stopped keeping track of Vita's sales numbers) as of December 31, 2012. Now if you would like, I could link you to Sony's quarterly financial statements so you could see for yourself. It would be a big pain in the butt for me to find them for you and then link them, but if you want me to, I will.

Nah, I saw them.

Is that all, though?

#43 Posted by AM-Gamer (3679 posts) -

Move sold 15 million as of October of last year, Just because it didnt sell as well as Kinect its considred a failure?  The great thing is yes Sony focues more on the hardcore then anyone and thats whats most important. 

#44 Posted by DropsofJupiter (1424 posts) -

wakefulness

Nah, I saw them.

Is that all, though?

Specifically talking about the sales projections (the one point that you highlighted in my post)? Yeah. I do have an equally extensive (if not more extensive) list for each of the other points that I listed though.
#45 Posted by wakefulness (3989 posts) -

[QUOTE="wakefulness"]

[QUOTE="DropsofJupiter"] The projected sales numbers for the PSP and Vita combined as of March 31, 2012 were 16 million units worldwide. By the end of the next quarter, Sony had slashed them down to 12 million worldwide. When it became clear that that target would also be missed, Sony slashed its projections downwards again to 10 million units. Finally, when it became clear that that projection would also be missed, Sony slashed the projections down to sub 10 million (I believe it was 8 million, but it might have been 6 million, this is around when I stopped keeping track of Vita's sales numbers) as of December 31, 2012. Now if you would like, I could link you to Sony's quarterly financial statements so you could see for yourself. It would be a big pain in the butt for me to find them for you and then link them, but if you want me to, I will.DropsofJupiter

Nah, I saw them.

Is that all, though?

Specifically talking about the sales projections (the one point that you highlighted in my post)? Yeah. I do have an equally extensive (if not more extensive) list for each of the other points that I listed though.

I thought that you would actually have an interesting arguement behind it; instead you just threw a cite at me.

All the same, VITA is awesome. Shame you don't own one or are not as enthusiastic (or not enthusiastic at all) toward the platform. But, whatever. You're loss IMHO. :)

#46 Posted by Sagem28 (10498 posts) -

And here I was thinking this was a Vita thread.

#47 Posted by DropsofJupiter (1424 posts) -

Nah, I saw them.

Is that all, though?

wakefulness

I thought that you would actually have an interesting arguement behind it; instead you just threw a cite at me.

All the same, VITA is awesome. Shame you don't own one or are not as enthusiastic (or not enthusiastic at all) toward the platform. But, whatever. You're loss IMHO. :)

My argument is simple: all the facts point to the Vita being a failure in every regard. I am glad you like the Vita (I have used it extensively over a three month period, and I am in love with that hardware; I could not bring myself to go back to playing on my 3DS for weeks after that), and that you are satisfied with your purchase, but your personal feelings do not change the fact that by any objective barometer- sales performance of the hardware, sales performance of the software, performance relative to the competition, performance relative to the predecessor, performance relative to expectations, the library of established and released games, the library of upcoming games, first party support, third party support, you name it- the Vita is a failure. There literally is no argument to be made.
#48 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (4080 posts) -

Except 'Move' failed because Sony abandoned it like more or less every other peripheral they release.

#49 Posted by handssss (1827 posts) -

Except 'Move' failed because Sony abandoned it like more or less every other peripheral they release.

HalcyonScarlet
force =/= abandon. same goes for shoehorning like MS and having Kinect voice control BS in certain games. Like we really need a $200 motion sensor to do the same thing any typical headset could.
#50 Posted by wakefulness (3989 posts) -

[QUOTE="wakefulness"]

[QUOTE="DropsofJupiter"] Specifically talking about the sales projections (the one point that you highlighted in my post)? Yeah. I do have an equally extensive (if not more extensive) list for each of the other points that I listed though.DropsofJupiter

My argument is simple: all the facts point to the Vita being a failure in every regard. I am glad you like the Vita (I have used it extensively over a three month period, and I am in love with that hardware; I could not bring myself to go back to playing on my 3DS for weeks after that), and that you are satisfied with your purchase, but your personal feelings do not change the fact that by any objective barometer- sales performance of the hardware, sales performance of the software, performance relative to the competition, performance relative to the predecessor, performance relative to expectations, the library of established and released games, the library of upcoming games, first party support, third party support, you name it- the Vita is a failure. There literally is no argument to be made.

Still not buying it only bc the gaming industry has historically had companies whose product/services seemed to be in a total failure state only to rise to success, even if in relative terms. PS3 seemed like a total mismanaged thing from an engineering and marketing standpoint, but it managed to thrive and now Sony has recently green lit SCE to launch PS4.

Also, how can you not like TearAway dog? 

tearaway01.jpg

p.s. I think we are going off topic, Though, I don't remember what the OP was even talking about.