Sony will not offer an option to turn off DualShock 4 Light

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by charizard1605 (58183 posts) -

PlayStation's president of worldwide studios Shuhei Yoshida has ruled out the possibility of offering PS4 owners the option to disable the DualShock 4's light bar. Yoshida addressed fans via Twitter after the exec was quizzed on the likelihood of a "future update" that may offer the ability to turn off the illuminated panel on the upper surface of the controller for games that make no use of it.

"No," replied Yoshida, in response to the question.

Common complaints from players and critics include the light bar reflecting in the TV screen and the controller's relatively short battery life (around 7 hours) compared with the DualShock 3.

When it was later implied such a feature would help extend the controller's battery life, Yoshida added, "The LEDs do not use much battery".

CVG

I am almost positive that the lightbar does not, in fact, have any appreciable impact on the battery life whatsoever, but I imagine it does get very annoying. Why will Sony simply not offer the option to turn the light off, especially when they try to position themselves as so 'gamer friendly' in recent days?

#2 Edited by freedomfreak (40926 posts) -

Stupid.

Just give people the option. It's useless anyways. Might as well have us turn it off.

#3 Posted by ninjapirate2000 (3052 posts) -

I don't really mind it except for the reflection on the tv. It's also useless, unless you have the camera.

#4 Posted by Slashkice (13232 posts) -

It hasn't bothered me at all so I'm not fussed either way. Though, they should just patch in the option.

#5 Edited by Heil68 (45158 posts) -

Good. I like the light and it makes for a more deep, immersive gaming experience.

#6 Edited by stereointegrity (10731 posts) -

God this is older then dirt

This is from last July... Sony said way back then you couldn'tAmake nd it wouldn't be an option

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2013/07/no_you_cant_turn_off_the_dualshock_4s_light_bar

#7 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (5067 posts) -

charizard u are once again wrong. test have been done and with led enabled battery lasts 12.5 hours, led off it lasts 28.6 hours.

the light indicates your player number which is why sony cant turn it off which fu$in sucks

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97339391&postcount=264

#8 Posted by ninjapirate2000 (3052 posts) -

Sony should really give us an option to use any type of batteries in the ds4. I'd really like to use 2500 mah eneloops instead of the crap (1000mah) they put in the ds4.

#10 Edited by Animal-Mother (26962 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

Good. I like the light and it makes for a more deep, immersive gaming experience.

This is one of those times I have to sincerely say. Da fuq are talkin about?

#11 Posted by Floppy_Jim (25762 posts) -

@ghostwarrior786 said:

with led enabled battery lasts 12.5 hours, led off it lasts 28.6 hours.

Dafudge? So it would more than double the battery life (?)

WHAT ARE YOU DOING SONY

#12 Edited by The_Stand_In (396 posts) -

Kind of an odd decision. Surely it can't be that hard to add the option. Given that so many people hate it, I would of thought Sony would of just caved in and let users disable it.

#13 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (5067 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

Unless you're looking at your controller and/or have a very reflective screen it doesn't seem to have any direct impact, besides some subtle light changes in your peripheral vision.

Still they just allow users to disable it. It's always better to have the option than to just force it in these sort of situations.

@ninjapirate2000 said:

Sony should really give us an option to use any type of batteries in the ds4. I'd really like to use 2500 mah eneloops instead of the crap (1000mah) they put in the ds4.

@freedomfreak said:

Stupid.

Just give people the option. It's useless anyways. Might as well have us turn it off.

they cant give the option because the light indicates the player number so unless they find an alternative way of displaying this info its not going to happen. best possible scenario the dim the light or reduce the number of led used

#14 Edited by nintendoboy16 (26889 posts) -

A smaller problem, but it's still kind of stupid.

#15 Edited by Zassimick (6642 posts) -

I haven't been bothered once by it, though I imagine with darker games and playing at night the reflection could get in the way. Other than maybe taking away from the image of the console, I don't see why they can't at least put the option up in the console settings.

A question I had: if developers can change what the light does, like with Killzone: Shadow Fall reflecting your health, could they dictate that the light itself is turned off? Or say I'm playing Dead Space, and I'm in a lit corridor walking through. Suddenly, the power goes out. To reflect this, the light on the controller also goes out. Could they do that?

#16 Posted by musicalmac (23033 posts) -

It's too bad the light isn't in a more logical place. What were they thinking when they put it there in the first place?

#17 Posted by Mr-Kutaragi (1967 posts) -

@ghostwarrior786 said:

charizard u are once again wrong. test have been done and with led enabled battery lasts 12.5 hours, led off it lasts 28.6 hours.

the light indicates your player number which is why sony cant turn it off which fu$in sucks

28 hour without light lmao no.

#18 Posted by Gue1 (10198 posts) -

fucking useless gimmicks. -__-

#19 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4895 posts) -

open up the unit and chop the negative terminal.

if necessary solder a bit of wire to go around the led but with no current passing through.

i'd recommend unhooking the battery first. iirc it's just 3.7v but it could startle you.

this will disable the led but its a semi-destructive fix.

you are all welcome. yours sincerely - JohnnyCageMK crownkingarthur

#20 Edited by charizard1605 (58183 posts) -

@ghostwarrior786 said:

Isn't the DS4's battery life closer to 7-8 hours? I might be wrong.

@ghostwarrior786 said:

they cant give the option because the light indicates the player number so unless they find an alternative way of displaying this info its not going to happen. best possible scenario the dim the light or reduce the number of led used

I don't know, other controllers seem to get along just fine without a stupid ass light indicating the player number.

#21 Edited by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

Would taking the controller apart and breaking/removing the light yourself be an option?

#22 Posted by bobbetybob (19290 posts) -

Glad I only use it for PC, the fan built driver is amazing and let's you set it to whatever colour you want as well as turning it off. It's a shame Sony is being beaten to useful functionality by a modder.

#23 Posted by PhazonBlazer (11918 posts) -

Still not as bad as the Wii U gamepad's battery.

#24 Posted by Snugenz (11892 posts) -

Easily sorted for the price of feck all.

#25 Edited by ghostwarrior786 (5067 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

I don't know, other controllers seem to get along just fine without a stupid ass light indicating the player number.

i have no idea but he seems to have tested it. xbox controllers have the light around their logo and ds3 has 4 led lights towards the front of the controller. without the lightbar it would be impossible to know what player u are by just looking at the controller which i why i doubt they remove it

#26 Edited by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

sony loves that 6-8 hr life span....

#27 Posted by charizard1605 (58183 posts) -

@PhazonBlazer said:

And not even a tenth of the Wii U Pro's battery.

#28 Edited by Couth_ (10166 posts) -

@ghostwarrior786 said:

That's not a test.. All he did was calculate theoretical numbers.. We need more info on the specifics of the controller, or someone to actually go in and remove the LEDs

#29 Edited by Chozofication (2927 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@PhazonBlazer said:

Yeah, it's a pretty good controller all around. I'm not a fan of the shoulder buttons though.

Also another issue with the DS4 apparently is the rubber of the sticks is super cheap and comes off easily. I hope these issues are sorted out within a year.

#30 Edited by Capitan_Kid (6584 posts) -

Who cares? Such a trivial thing to complain about. Put some dark tape on it if it bothers you so much

#31 Posted by clr84651 (5486 posts) -

The lights are completely unnoticable to me unless I stare right at it.

#32 Edited by HitmanActual (386 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

Pretty much.

And why the fuck is the light needed if playing singleplayer?

The battery life is pathetic.

#33 Posted by GamingGod999 (3002 posts) -

oh noes

#34 Edited by HavocV3 (7947 posts) -
@charizard1605 said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

The post says 'idle battery life.'

12 hours of idle battery life is loltastic.

#35 Posted by M8ingSeezun (2012 posts) -

Who gives a shit?

#36 Posted by handssss (1837 posts) -

@Chozofication said:

@charizard1605 said:

@PhazonBlazer said:

Yeah, it's a pretty good controller all around. I'm not a fan of the shoulder buttons though.

Also another issue with the DS4 apparently is the rubber of the sticks is super cheap and comes off easily. I hope these issues are sorted out within a year.

i was under the impression the stick thing was just a bad batch and you'd know by now if you had a problem controller. I've seen no wear and tear signs on mine yet despite extensive use.

the light thing is a pointless feature thus far for me. luckily the battery life has never been a hinderance either. even in my longest session of black flag, i didnt waste the majority of the battery. it's only ever slightly annoying if i forget to put it on the charger when im done playin

#37 Posted by lundy86_4 (43526 posts) -

Yeah... What little I used of the controller, it was rather distracting. Nothing you can't live with.

#38 Posted by lostrib (37644 posts) -

That's annoying as hell

#39 Edited by blackace (20886 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:

Stupid.

Does anyone use the light for any reason at all? I completely forget it's there half the time, until I tilt the controller up. I'm sure that light is draining the battery as well.

#40 Posted by freedomfreak (40926 posts) -
@blackace said:

Does anyone use the light for any reason at all? I completely forget it's there half the time, until I tilt the controller up. I'm sure that light is draining the battery as well.

Shadowfall uses it to show your health.

#41 Posted by Puckhog04 (22606 posts) -

Don't really see why it matters.

#42 Edited by mems_1224 (47254 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

You were expecting something else from Sony? lol

#43 Edited by _Matt_ (8924 posts) -

The light has never once bothered me, and I highly doubt it makes that much difference in battery anyway

#44 Edited by FoxbatAlpha (7420 posts) -

Another lie by Sony. What number is this?

#45 Posted by cfisher2833 (1709 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

.....what!?

#46 Posted by ninjapirate2000 (3052 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:
@blackace said:

Shadowfall uses it to show your health.

Because we want to look at our controller instead of stare at the damn screen. lol.

#47 Posted by Ghost120x (3913 posts) -

Lame. I hope fully Sony takes that useless crap out when they make a dualshock 4.5 to cut costs

#48 Posted by foxhound_fox (88714 posts) -

Let me guess... they have no clue about how to turn it off.

#49 Posted by charizard1605 (58183 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

Let me guess... they have no clue about how to turn it off.

They made the controller, I hope to goodness they would know how to turn it off.

#50 Posted by VanDammFan (4285 posts) -

oh heavens NO..say this isnt so..its the most important news ive heard of all day...WOW..people really that bored they crying over some light? get a life.