Sony Will Begin Production Of PS4 At 2011 (Rumor from reliable source)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by XVision84 (13626 posts) -

Here's a link to an article about it:http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2011/07/04/factories-prepping-for-2012-ps4-launch/

"According to an often reliable industry source, Digitimes, there are plans afoot to launch a new console in the PlayStation range.The rumour, and we have to stress that this is way too early to receive any kind of confirmation from official sources, hinges on the Taiwanese factories that make components for Sony's consoles."

"It seems that these factories (Foxconn and Pegatron) are preparing to swing into production with the expectation of shipping at least 20 million units in 2012."

"The report also makes mention of full body motion controls similar to Kinect."

Original Source/Report:http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20110704PD202.html

I don't know about this, it's not just one person this time, it seems to be factories and digitimes starting these rumors, could they be true? That's up to you to decide ;)

#2 Posted by rogerjak (14711 posts) -

I believe it when Sony itself says something.

#3 Posted by James161324 (8315 posts) -

I doubt it, there is no reason for them to put out a new console for a couple years.

#4 Posted by Technoweirdo (7140 posts) -

Here's a link to an article about it:http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2011/07/04/factories-prepping-for-2012-ps4-launch/

"According to an often reliable industry source, Digitimes, there are plans afoot to launch a new console in the PlayStation range.The rumour, and we have to stress that this is way too early to receive any kind of confirmation from official sources, hinges on the Taiwanese factories that make components for Sony's consoles."

"It seems that these factories (Foxconn and Pegatron) are preparing to swing into production with the expectation of shipping at least 20 million units in 2012."

"The report also makes mention of full body motion controls similar to Kinect."

Original Source/Report:http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20110704PD202.html

I don't know about this, it's not just one person this time, it seems to be factories and digitimes starting these rumors, could they be true? That's up to you to decide ;)

XVision84

The report also makes mention of full body motion controls similar to Kinect.

thesixthaxis

Sony will have Taiwan-based partners begin production of PlayStation 4 (PS4) featuring body movement-based control like Kinect at the end of 2011 for launch in 2012, according to Taiwan-based component makers.

Digitimes

Not liking sixthaxis. There's a difference between motion controls and full-body motion controls. I hope Kinect is just being referred to as an example for motion controls in general. I mean, have we already forgotten the invention of buttons?

Anyways, I can see the PS4 coming in 2012. Six years is a pretty long life for a console. Would be great to extend it, but that depends on how much of a threat Sony sees the WiiU as.

#5 Posted by immortality20 (7957 posts) -

Highly doubt it, I think PS will be last to launch their console in 2013.

#6 Posted by heretrix (37343 posts) -

Sony has enough issues releasing a single platform properly. Launching Vita, the PS4 and recovering from a massive network breach would be a disaster.I hope the concentrate on Vita and continue to work on whatever the PS4 is. I would like the Vita launch to go as smooth as possible because I plan on getting one as soon as it comes out.

#7 Posted by coasterguy65 (5922 posts) -

I expect both a new PS3 and a new Xbox sometime next year. I know people get hung up on the whole Sony will support the console for 10 years crap, but Sony still releases new consoles every 6 years and the PS3 came out in 2006.

PS.....1994

PS2...2000

PS3...2006

PS4...2012

#8 Posted by LovePotionNo9 (4751 posts) -

My personal opinion is they need to fix PSN before they think of releasing a new console. I believe their money would be better spent there.

#9 Posted by lensflare15 (6175 posts) -

Yeah right, that would be an epic fail on Sony's part. With the PSV coming out, and some of their best exclusives, why would they just randomly launch a new console in 2012 when the PS3 is doing just fine now? They need to wait a few years for when a new console would actually be worth the money.

#10 Posted by heretrix (37343 posts) -

I expect both a new PS3 and a new Xbox sometime next year. I know people get hung up on the whole Sony will support the console for 10 years crap, but Sony still releases new consoles every 6 years and the PS3 came out in 2006.

PS.....1994

PS2...2000

PS3...2006

PS4...2012

coasterguy65

If they were releasing a new console next year, they would have announced it at E3 or this years Tokyo Game show. I don't see that happening. They already announced a new platform, I doubt they'd release 2 within the same year.

#11 Posted by KiZZo1 (3965 posts) -

What I find strange is the 20 million number. That seems a lot for the first product run ...

#12 Posted by adam1808 (264 posts) -

really really don't care. after they stop making ps3 games I'm not buying another damn console. I'm not being pumped for cash anymore every five years for consoles that break, aren't fully featured or aren't supported enough by developers. I'm officially sick of new consoles

#13 Posted by Giant_Panda (982 posts) -

What I find strange is the 20 million number. That seems a lot for the first product run ...

KiZZo1

Same, maybe they're hoping to ship 20 million Vitas next year, not PS4s?

#14 Posted by shinrabanshou (8458 posts) -

Same as the other rumor thread.

It's not a reliable source.

And the rumor in question is ridiculous.

#15 Posted by Heil68 (43945 posts) -
I doubt it, I'm thinking in 2-3 years.
#16 Posted by Elitro (578 posts) -

100% fake imo.

Thou i could see them implementing some sort of kinectish tech, this way devs could feel more inclined to develop games for kinect if more platforms support it, althou i think that is so not going to happen as well.

#17 Posted by KevinPlanet (941 posts) -

This is completely an untrue rumor...they plan to release the PSV at the end of this year and are pushing PS3/PSV connectivity. Also they'd obviously need a heavy marketing push for a PS4, one that would overshadow the PSV

And heck no to any "Kinect"-like addition. If that has any truth to it (which I highly doubt it does based on the source) I'm switching to PC

#18 Posted by PhazonBlazer (11702 posts) -

They might announce it next year but release it in 2013.

#19 Posted by bleehum (5320 posts) -

Same as the other rumor thread.

It's not a reliable source.

And the rumor in question is ridiculous.

shinrabanshou

Yep, they're anything but a "often reliable source."

#20 Posted by eboyishere (12681 posts) -

said it before ill say it again

Ps4 anonncement 2012

ps4 release 2013

xbox will probably follow suit

#21 Posted by ZIMdoom (8355 posts) -

Technically speaking, this COULD be referring to some new PS3 redesign or new model to coincide with a price drop. There is no way Sony would begin producing a PS4 this year, with the expectation that is comes out next year, and NOT talk about it by now. Console announcements are made at E3.

No, any new "console" will be a new hardware redesign, maybe even smaller(?) than the slim. Or, as the article hints, not a new console at all but maybe their own version of kinect...maybe bundling the eye toy with the console or something.

#22 Posted by Sgt_Crow (4376 posts) -

Oh god if that would be true! Haha! Sony would be the king of trolls if PS4 would concentrate on Kinect-like gaming. :lol:
Cows will suddenly say how innovative and cool it is, I'm sure.

I don't think this news is real but somehow I hope it is. :P

#23 Posted by caughtjoo (975 posts) -

Always up for rocking the foil. Will find out in due time.

#24 Posted by siLVURcross (26106 posts) -
I would find a rumor hard to be reliable.