Sony: "we don't need to buy exclusivity"

• 177 results
#1 Posted by dommeus (9235 posts) -

SHOTS FIRED.

Typical Sony suits being pricks.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/474307/interviews/sonys-jim-ryan-interview-we-dont-need-to-buy-exclusivity/

Interview is long and boring and I ain't gonna paste it here.

Even though MS get a lot of shit for the choices they make in the industry (and rightly so), it's hard to look past Sony as being the most vocal assholes of the 'big three'.

Agreed? Good.

#2 Edited by LadyBlue (3927 posts) -

Mostly true, since they make their exclusives, unlike Microsoft. Didn't stop them from stealing Dreamfall from the WiiU

#3 Posted by Blabadon (25949 posts) -

If I took a shot for every "First on PlayStation," "First to console on PS4," "First on PS4 and Vita," or "Exclusive PlayStation content" I heard from Sony I'd die like five times over.

That being said, I don't think there's anything wrong with it. Sony are assholes in PR, yes, but first that led to E3 2013 so god bless them and second, they're taking advantage of the rabid fanbase that is gnawing at Microsoft for making TR whatever type of exclusive it is.

#4 Posted by ZombeGoast (411 posts) -

Then Sony bought out Dreamfall Chapters and No Man's Sky because they don't have the money to buy from big 3rd party publishers

#5 Posted by Legend002 (7029 posts) -

Of course. They got Naughty Dog and friends.

#6 Posted by Shewgenja (8466 posts) -

Who's a bigger asshole? The guy admitting they don't buy exclusives or the guy who closed Ensemble, let go of Bungie and then relegated RARE to be a Kinect dev?

Riddle me this, riddle me that.

#7 Edited by LJS9502_basic (150351 posts) -

LOL the butt hurt. They don't. Why can't they be proud of that? Just like MS is proud to the the OS for PCs.

#8 Edited by Effec_Tor (262 posts) -

Sony is right.

#9 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (13447 posts) -

Why do people get upset when Sony tells the truth?

#10 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150351 posts) -

@Blabadon said:

If I took a shot for every "First on PlayStation," "First to console on PS4," "First on PS4 and Vita," or "Exclusive PlayStation content" I heard from Sony I'd die like five times over.

That being said, I don't think there's anything wrong with it. Sony are assholes in PR, yes, but first that led to E3 2013 so god bless them and second, they're taking advantage of the rabid fanbase that is gnawing at Microsoft for making TR whatever type of exclusive it is.

MS isn't?

#11 Edited by Shadowchronicle (25977 posts) -

No surprise there, they always do this. If you read what he says he talks about buying and not partnerships. If you ask me partnerships is pretty close to buying, it usually means you have exchanged something.

Everytime I see people of Sony staff make a douchebag statement, it's usually about things that are expected to be on a console and nothing to brag about.

#12 Posted by blackace (20289 posts) -

@dommeus said:

SHOTS FIRED.

Typical Sony suits being pricks.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/474307/interviews/sonys-jim-ryan-interview-we-dont-need-to-buy-exclusivity/

Interview is long and boring and I ain't gonna paste it here.

Even though MS get a lot of shit for the choices they make in the industry (and rightly so), it's hard to look past Sony as being the most vocal assholes of the 'big three'.

Agreed? Good.

Sony can't afford to buy "AAA" titles anymore. They can barely afford to keep employee in their 1st party studios. They've already laid off employees at Naughty Dog & San Mateo Studios. They've already said there wouldn't be any new "AAA" games for the PSVita. I think they will eventually dump the PSVita just to save money, even though it's selling better then the PS4 in Japan.

http://n4g.com/news/1485272/something-weird-is-going-on-at-sony-naughty-dog

http://www.polygon.com/2014/2/25/5447306/sony-santa-monica-layoffs

#13 Posted by Blabadon (25949 posts) -

@Blabadon said:

MS isn't?

Less so.

Like let's be honest, one company wishes the other good luck on their new console, the other boasts about "true next gen" games and all on their Facebook page. One rips the heart out of the other at E3 2013 (JACK TRETTON THE GOAT), the other doesn't really bother to attack the other.

All company PR has multiple shades of personality, just that Sony likes acting like the big bully in the console space where they've rightfully become the big bully for three out of the four generations they've participated in.

#14 Posted by Heil68 (43465 posts) -

They don't need to buy mulitplats he means.

#15 Posted by farrell2k (5809 posts) -

Sony: "we don't need to buy exclusivity, but we do anyway..."

#16 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (3887 posts) -

yes sony doesnt buy exclusives. in other news they dont have any games either :(

#17 Posted by kingtito (4861 posts) -

Who's a bigger asshole? The guy admitting they don't buy exclusives or the guy who closed Ensemble, let go of Bungie and then relegated RARE to be a Kinect dev?

MS are assholes for "letting Bungie go" even though Bungie wanted out? Bungie, the company that's bringing Sony's biggest game this year, Destiny, even though it's not exclusive? Shouldn't you cows be thankful to MS for giving Bungie it's wish?

Sony doesn't need to buy exclusivity, yet they've been doing it for generations. Hmmm go figure huh cows.

#18 Edited by Shewgenja (8466 posts) -

@Blabadon said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Blabadon said:

MS isn't?

Less so.

Like let's be honest, one company wishes the other good luck on their new console, the other boasts about "true next gen" games and all on their Facebook page. One rips the heart out of the other at E3 2013 (JACK TRETTON THE GOAT), the other doesn't really bother to attack the other.

All company PR has multiple shades of personality, just that Sony likes acting like the big bully in the console space where they've rightfully become the big bully for three out of the four generations they've participated in.

MS talked some HOT shit to Sony last-gen, too. There is a certain amount of comeuppance here. MS talking the humble talk is because they cannot possibly afford to be painted the villain any more than they already have with the fallout over DRM.

#19 Posted by ironcreed (14083 posts) -

Sony no doubt has great first party, but they still money hat for timed exclusives and exclusive content. They are very much guilty of the same practice.

#20 Edited by LJS9502_basic (150351 posts) -

@Blabadon said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Blabadon said:

MS isn't?

Less so.

LOL. MS as a company has been mistrusted even before entering the console market. And just this gen alone they have lied about a ton of things. I'm not saying Sony doesn't. Or Nintendo doesn't. Or even SEGA back in the day. Blast Processing WTF? But to make a blatant statement the MS does less is just bias showing.

And if I'm a fan of any company it would have been SEGA. And I included them. Because what's fair is fair. Honesty IS really the best policy as trite as that sounds. When I see someone sugar coat what their company of choice does I don't find any validity or truth in their posts.

#21 Posted by FastRobby (1249 posts) -

@ladyblue said:

Mostly true, since they make their exclusives, unlike Microsoft. Didn't stop them from stealing Dreamfall from the WiiU

Like Tomb Raider in 1997?

#22 Edited by gago-gago (9354 posts) -

And here's a perfect example why Sony is leading the "The Biggest Liars" poll. Take the poll away and they still lead the way.

#23 Posted by Gue1 (9500 posts) -

this is why we love Sony. Leave those bribing assholes at M$ alone, they are just desperate because the xbone is getting its ass handed while lems are kept in constant suicide watch.

#24 Posted by Snugenz (11816 posts) -

@Blabadon said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Blabadon said:

MS isn't?

Less so.

MS talked some HOT shit to Sony last-gen, too. There is a certain amount of comeuppance here. MS talking the humble talk is because they cannot possibly afford to be painted the villain any more than they already have with the fallout over DRM.

Like?, you don't expect us to just take your word on that do ya?.

#25 Posted by mems_1224 (46581 posts) -

lol "we dont buy exclusivity!"

"No Mans Sky exclusive to ps4 for 6 months!!!"

Sony is fucking stupid. lol

#26 Posted by dommeus (9235 posts) -

LOL the butt hurt. They don't. Why can't they be proud of that? Just like MS is proud to the the OS for PCs.

They could be humble about it. Look at the damage the RotTR announcement did to MS and Crystal Dynamics. Sony didn't have to weigh in.

But they did.

Obviously.

Cos their PR team are pricks.

Microsoft might be a worse company (and they get enough flak for that around here anyway), but Sony's PR team are just fucking douchebags

#27 Posted by DEadliNE-Zero0 (1385 posts) -

I guess they still think PSnow and charging for multyplayer is fair and of good value

#28 Posted by darkangel115 (1505 posts) -

So all the money they dumped into destiny, BF:hardline, NMS, etc for "exclusive content" doesn't count? Really sick of the sony jabs. while MS and nintendo show respect for all the gaming companies, sony shows a lack of class. This would be like MS responding with "they would buy them if they weren't so broke" Its unnecessary and classless but hey fanboys eat it up.

#29 Edited by LJS9502_basic (150351 posts) -

@ladyblue said:

Like Tomb Raider in 1997?

I don't whether that is true or not. "Following the cancellation announcement, Adrian Smith cited technical limitations of the console to program an adequate conversion." Interview with Adam Smith Next Generation Online. Though Sony did have an agreement for exclusive rights until 2000 around the same time....but that would have prevented the N64 from getting it. So I'd say it might have been a combination of both......at least. But the Saturn game did get cancelled. Saturn really wasn't doing well by then. By 1996 the Saturn wasn't even being pushed by SEGA. In 1996 Stoler stated the Saturn wasn't their future. Why would you spend money for a system that was basically dead? And I love the Saturn and SEGA...but damn that console wasn't doing much and I can see why the game was cancelled for it. And like the quote said.....lots of devs had problems with the tech on the Saturn.

#30 Posted by chikenfriedrice (9887 posts) -

They need to buy exclusive content though, right? I dislike Sony.

#31 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150351 posts) -
@dommeus said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

They could be humble about it. Look at the damage the RotTR announcement did to MS and Crystal Dynamics. Sony didn't have to weigh in.

But they did.

Obviously.

Microsoft might be a worse company (and they get enough flak for that around here anyway), but Sony's PR team are just fucking douchebags

Humble is bull shit. As I said in another thread....SEGA does what Nintendon't is the best marketing slogan ever. And it sure as hell isn't humble.

#32 Edited by LJS9502_basic (150351 posts) -

@chikenfriedrice said:

Uh they both buy exclusive content. So you hate them both.....right? Becausewould be illogical to think it's okay for one and not the other.

#33 Posted by mems_1224 (46581 posts) -

@dommeus said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

But they did.

Obviously.

Humble is bull shit. As I said in another thread....SEGA does what Nintendon't is the best marketing slogan ever. And it sure as hell isn't humble.

How'd that workout for Sega?

#34 Posted by MlauTheDaft (3399 posts) -

So Sony is Batman and MS is Lex Luthor as President?

#35 Posted by ironcreed (14083 posts) -

I am still going to pick up a PS4 soon, but I am not a fan of Sony's salty, smart ass attitude... at all. I mean, they just crossed 10 million sold for crying out loud. Why be smug pricks, instead of just being proud, but professional?

#36 Edited by StormyJoe (4901 posts) -

@dommeus: *Cough* Demon's Souls *Cough* *Cough* Bloodbourne *Cough* *Cough* Haze *Cough* *Cough* *Cough*

Whew...dusty in here...

#37 Posted by chikenfriedrice (9887 posts) -

@chikenfriedrice said:

Uh they both by exclusive content. So you hate them both.....right? Because only a psychotic would think it's okay for one and not the other.

I hate the hypocritical attitude of Sony...I never said MS doesn't buy shit up.

#38 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150351 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:
@dommeus said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

But they did.

Obviously.

How'd that workout for Sega?

For a time they did in fact lead that generation. Worked fine. Anyway....it's still the best marketing slogan....what's your point?

#39 Posted by MBirdy88 (7718 posts) -

More like they can't afford to.

#40 Posted by Gamerno6666 (522 posts) -

@ladyblue said:

Umm dreamfall is coming out on pc/wiiu/ps4. so how did the steal it?

#41 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150351 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

Uh they both by exclusive content. So you hate them both.....right? Because only a psychotic would think it's okay for one and not the other.

So you also hate the hypocritical attitude of MS...right?

#42 Posted by thehig1 (1400 posts) -

didn't sony buy exclusivity to Silent Hill and No Mans Sky ?

#43 Posted by chikenfriedrice (9887 posts) -

@chikenfriedrice said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

On this topic Sony is being hypocritical...right? Not only that they are lying because they have paid for exclusives.

MS is not hypocritical on this issue.....quit trying to deflect.

#44 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150351 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

On this topic Sony is being hypocritical...right? Not only that they are lying because they have paid for exclusives.

Really? Claiming a game is exclusive when it isn't isn't being hypocritical?

#45 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (4041 posts) -

Uh huh, like Sony didn't close studios. What you want them to force bungie to stay?

Dude there is NO ONE left at Rare, you guys need to let it go, don't be fanboys about it, they can't make a good game anymore, the stamper brothers aren't even in the industry anymore. They were given the freedom and budget, they can had so many opportunities, why do you think Nintendo let them go? They were smart, Rare weren't even delivering on the GC.

Whose left? Ken Lobb and he didn't even need the rest of what is left over as Rare to make the new KI.

#46 Posted by LordQuorthon (5286 posts) -

Good guy Sony let's others have games. Sony: total bro. Now sheep and lemmings have to thank Sony too. The domination continues.

#47 Edited by kingtito (4861 posts) -

@chikenfriedrice said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

Or claiming a game is running exclusively at 1080p and 60fps isn't hypocritical either right?

#48 Posted by freedomfreak (39204 posts) -

But they do.

#49 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150351 posts) -

@kingtito said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

Or claiming a game is running exclusively at 1080p and 60fps isn't hypocritical either right?

Well that nails both as well...

#50 Posted by chikenfriedrice (9887 posts) -

@chikenfriedrice said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

Again....Sony hasn't done this? And that's not what this topic is about. Deflecting once again.