Sony: We Don't Know Who's Buying All These PS4s

#201 Posted by joel_c17 (2861 posts) -

@hrt_rulz01 said:

Yeah I don't get it either... Hype I guess. Can't be because of games.

Neither console has any good games so far - diablo 3 for me has been great, and im looking forward to destiny. After that its metro redux. After that though, i cant think of much that interests me, but i could be forgetting some games.

#202 Posted by Mickeyminime (1130 posts) -

if the PS4 had no games, no one would buy it regardless of the price higher or lower. People buy consoles for good games, entertainment and so much more.

#203 Edited by hrt_rulz01 (6205 posts) -

@joel_c17 said:

@hrt_rulz01 said:

Neither console has any good games so far - diablo 3 for me has been great, and im looking forward to destiny. After that its metro redux. After that though, i cant think of much that interests me, but i could be forgetting some games.

For me there's heaps more coming on Xbone towards the end of the year... Forza Horizon 2, Sunset Overdrive & of course Halo MCC. Plus multiplats.

Can't think of much on PS4.

#204 Posted by SecretPolice (22242 posts) -

@hrt_rulz01 said:

@joel_c17 said:

@hrt_rulz01 said:

For me there's heaps more coming on Xbone towards the end of the year... Forza Horizon 2, Sunset Overdrive & of course Halo MCC. Plus multiplats.

Agreed big time but what I really liked is your list of anticipated games in your sig matches the SP's list fairly accurately sooooo, +100 for having excellent taste. :P

#205 Posted by dakan45 (18621 posts) -

Well i put it this way.

http://www.vgchartz.com/platform/69/playstation-4/

Wtf are those 10 milion people playnig? The game sales are low.

Seems to me they buy them just like iphones, to say "hey i got the new iphone" and just sit there like a paperweight.

Something else, yoshida said AAA exlusives are getting to expensive so ps4 will have less AAA exlusives than ps3.

So if you got a ps4 for AAA exlusives...you might want to wait a bit till it gets enough to worth buying.

#206 Edited by tormentos (18319 posts) -

@SecretPolice said:

Agreed big time but what I really liked is your list of anticipated games in your sig matches the SP's list fairly accurately sooooo, +100 for having excellent taste. :P

What a surprise...

@hrt_rulz01 said:

For you yeah. For me is the other way around.

And Halo CC is not even exclusive on xbox one will be on PC as well,not that it was exclusive any way,all those games it has minus Halo 2 can be played on xbox 360 now..

So basically is FH2 which is also on xbox 360 and SSO,weak weak line up.

#207 Posted by SecretPolice (22242 posts) -

@tormentos said:

@SecretPolice said:

What a surprise...

@hrt_rulz01 said:

And Halo CC is not even exclusive on xbox one will be on PC as well,not that it was exclusive any way,all those games it has minus Halo 2 can be played on xbox 360 now..

Shocking revelations from you as well, who'd a thunk it. Keep up the fight man, Kaz will fill your dreams tonight. :P

#208 Edited by Zelda187 (939 posts) -

@StormyJoe said:

@Zelda187 said:

@StormyJoe said:

@Zelda187 said:

@StormyJoe said:

@Zelda187 said:

The PS4 was never marketed like the XBone was.

Sony said from Day 1 that the PS4's main focus was going to be on games. Compare that to Microsoft who was pimping all of the skype and TV features of the XBone making gaming seem almost secondary.

The PS4 was marketed as a game console.

The XBone was marketed as a glorified $500 cable box with the ability to play games.

I think the gamers have pretty much already spoken about which one they prefer.

Or, more PS3 owners have moved to PS4 than 360 owners have moved to XB1.

Or, a shitload of 360 owners have crossed over and decided to buy a PS4 instead of an XBone.

Proof? Links? XBL subscriptions are up, not down. If there was a mass exodus, then the subscriptions would reflect that.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps4-poaching-players-from-microsoft-nintendo-niels/1100-6421917/

PS4 Poaching Players From Microsoft, Nintendo -- Nielsen Study

Recent study found that 31 percent of PS4 owners did not own the PlayStation 3, but did have a Xbox 360 or Wii.

At 10 million units sold in nine months, Sony's PlayStation 4 has gotten off to a red hot start, outpacing Microsoft's Xbox One and even Sony's own expectations. But why is the console selling so well? Even Sony's worldwide studios president Shuhei Yoshida doesn't have a definitive answer.

But now, a new Nielsen study reveals that the secret to the PS4's early success could be that the console may be stealing players from Microsoft and Nintendo.

According to data from an April Nielsen study provided to Re/code, 31 percent of PS4 owners did not own the PlayStation 3, but did have an Xbox 360 or Wii. Seventeen percent of PS4 owners did not own any console of the last generation, according to the data. As Re/code points out, this data suggests that gamers aren't as truly loyal as comments on the Internet would have you believe.

One major potential limitation of the Nielsen study, however, is that it asked consumers to specify which console(s) they currently owned, not any systems they owned in the past. As a result, people who sold their PS3 to GameStop (or to a friend) to buy a PS4 would have been included in the study as someone who did not own a PS3.

"Assuming that most people didn't do that, though, the numbers underscore why launching at a $100 lower price point than the rival Xbox One was so beneficial for Sony," writes Re/code's Eric Johnson.

The PS4 and Xbox One are now sold for the same price: $399 (though Xbox One fans can also buy a $500 bundle that comes with Kinect). The Wii U, meanwhile, sells for $300.

I love it when all you cows congregate together to try and argue a point against little ole me. LOL!

Again, those could have been almost all Wii users - Neilson's question was most likely "other console", or they would have listed a better breakdown. You can speculate all you want - numbers do not lie: if 360 owners were jumping ship in large numbers, XBL subscriptions would go down, and that is not happening. I am not saying "no 360 owner has gone to PS4" - that's a ridiculous comment - but given the subscription rates, it's not a significant number.

I was responding to your comment "Or, a shitload of 360 owners have crossed over and decided to buy a PS4 instead of an XBone.".

No, it's not just mostly Wii owners.

As I said before, a shitload of Lems were pissed off and felt alienated after that clusterfuck of a showing at E3 last year by Microsoft.

People don't like it when you tell them that their console is nothing but a useless mass of plastic and microchips without an internet connection. People don't like it when you tell them that they don't truly own their games and have no option of trading them in or lending them to friends. People don't like it when they have to pay an extra $100 for Kinnect which equates to nothing more than an expensive dust collector for most gamers.

It doesn't matter if Microsoft backtracked one week later and got rid of these dumbass ideas.

A lot of people made up their minds during the E3 showing as to which system they were going to buy.

Accept it and move on

#209 Posted by Liquid_ (2736 posts) -

ive brought bought and resold 30-40 over the last 9 months

#210 Posted by StormyJoe (5497 posts) -

@Zelda187 said:

@StormyJoe said:

@Zelda187 said:

@StormyJoe said:

@Zelda187 said:

@StormyJoe said:

@Zelda187 said:

The PS4 was never marketed like the XBone was.

Sony said from Day 1 that the PS4's main focus was going to be on games. Compare that to Microsoft who was pimping all of the skype and TV features of the XBone making gaming seem almost secondary.

The PS4 was marketed as a game console.

The XBone was marketed as a glorified $500 cable box with the ability to play games.

I think the gamers have pretty much already spoken about which one they prefer.

Or, more PS3 owners have moved to PS4 than 360 owners have moved to XB1.

Or, a shitload of 360 owners have crossed over and decided to buy a PS4 instead of an XBone.

Proof? Links? XBL subscriptions are up, not down. If there was a mass exodus, then the subscriptions would reflect that.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps4-poaching-players-from-microsoft-nintendo-niels/1100-6421917/

PS4 Poaching Players From Microsoft, Nintendo -- Nielsen Study

Recent study found that 31 percent of PS4 owners did not own the PlayStation 3, but did have a Xbox 360 or Wii.

At 10 million units sold in nine months, Sony's PlayStation 4 has gotten off to a red hot start, outpacing Microsoft's Xbox One and even Sony's own expectations. But why is the console selling so well? Even Sony's worldwide studios president Shuhei Yoshida doesn't have a definitive answer.

But now, a new Nielsen study reveals that the secret to the PS4's early success could be that the console may be stealing players from Microsoft and Nintendo.

According to data from an April Nielsen study provided to Re/code, 31 percent of PS4 owners did not own the PlayStation 3, but did have an Xbox 360 or Wii. Seventeen percent of PS4 owners did not own any console of the last generation, according to the data. As Re/code points out, this data suggests that gamers aren't as truly loyal as comments on the Internet would have you believe.

One major potential limitation of the Nielsen study, however, is that it asked consumers to specify which console(s) they currently owned, not any systems they owned in the past. As a result, people who sold their PS3 to GameStop (or to a friend) to buy a PS4 would have been included in the study as someone who did not own a PS3.

"Assuming that most people didn't do that, though, the numbers underscore why launching at a $100 lower price point than the rival Xbox One was so beneficial for Sony," writes Re/code's Eric Johnson.

The PS4 and Xbox One are now sold for the same price: $399 (though Xbox One fans can also buy a $500 bundle that comes with Kinect). The Wii U, meanwhile, sells for $300.

I love it when all you cows congregate together to try and argue a point against little ole me. LOL!

Again, those could have been almost all Wii users - Neilson's question was most likely "other console", or they would have listed a better breakdown. You can speculate all you want - numbers do not lie: if 360 owners were jumping ship in large numbers, XBL subscriptions would go down, and that is not happening. I am not saying "no 360 owner has gone to PS4" - that's a ridiculous comment - but given the subscription rates, it's not a significant number.

I was responding to your comment "Or, a shitload of 360 owners have crossed over and decided to buy a PS4 instead of an XBone.".

No, it's not just mostly Wii owners.

As I said before, a shitload of Lems were pissed off and felt alienated after that clusterfuck of a showing at E3 last year by Microsoft.

People don't like it when you tell them that their console is nothing but a useless mass of plastic and microchips without an internet connection. People don't like it when you tell them that they don't truly own their games and have no option of trading them in or lending them to friends. People don't like it when they have to pay an extra $100 for Kinnect which equates to nothing more than an expensive dust collector for most gamers.

It doesn't matter if Microsoft backtracked one week later and got rid of these dumbass ideas.

A lot of people made up their minds during the E3 showing as to which system they were going to buy.

Accept it and move on

Accept your speculation? Oh, but some goofball on a forum site said so, so it must be true...

You have absolutely ZERO evidence to back up what you say. You are entitled to your opinion, but don't challenge facts with your personal opinions because you'll lose every time. Kind of like now...

#211 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (6205 posts) -

@tormentos said:

@SecretPolice said:

What a surprise...

@hrt_rulz01 said:

It's coming to PC? Don't think so...

#212 Posted by Cranler (8809 posts) -

@dakan45 said:

Well i put it this way.

Seems to me they buy them just like iphones, to say "hey i got the new iphone" and just sit there like a paperweight.

Something else, yoshida said AAA exlusives are getting to expensive so ps4 will have less AAA exlusives than ps3.

So if you got a ps4 for AAA exlusives...you might want to wait a bit till it gets enough to worth buying.

Whats the point of waiting?

It's unlikely that there will be a price drop anytime soon. Why not just buy it now to get the best console version of multiplats?

#213 Edited by StormyJoe (5497 posts) -

@hrt_rulz01 said:

@tormentos said:

@SecretPolice said:

What a surprise...

@hrt_rulz01 said:

You have to excuse him. When he feels he is losing the argument, he starts making silly comments and then stops responding.

#214 Posted by joel_c17 (2861 posts) -

@hrt_rulz01 said:

@joel_c17 said:

@hrt_rulz01 said:

Yeah those games look like foot - thats personal opinion for you ;)

#215 Posted by tormentos (18319 posts) -

@dakan45 said:

Well i put it this way.

First of all VGchartz lol

And second the PS4 has like a 3 to 1 attach ratio of games.

Has more games than the xbox one and higher rated to..lol

@hrt_rulz01 said:

There was a rumor recently pointing so who knows.

But is not like you can't play all those Halo right now,with the exception of Halo 2 all others are on xbox 360 and you can play them NOW.

@StormyJoe said:

Accept your speculation? Oh, but some goofball on a forum site said so, so it must be true...

You have absolutely ZERO evidence to back up what you say. You are entitled to your opinion, but don't challenge facts with your personal opinions because you'll lose every time. Kind of like now...

You are the one with zero evidence period,live account mean sh** more than half of the xbox 360 user base don't pay for xbox live,xbox 360 owners are moving to PS4 and you have no evidence to the contrary.

I owned a 360 since day 1 last gen,now own a PS4 and not an xbox one.. Case proven quite easy...lol

#216 Posted by SecretPolice (22242 posts) -

@joel_c17 said:

@hrt_rulz01 said:

@joel_c17 said:

@hrt_rulz01 said:

Yeah those games look like foot - thats personal opinion for you ;)

Phffft, with those three awesome sauce titles alone; by end of year X1 numbers will likely zoom past The Bore's if gamers really want to game or perhaps they just want a door stop or chock their tires, I dunno. :P

#217 Edited by DEadliNE-Zero0 (2823 posts) -

People where starving for next gen since last gen lasted so long. Even the xbone is selling faster than the 360. Lack of games, which is bullshit because multiplats count, wasn't much of a factor.

The new shinny toy arrived after playing with the last one for so long. Simple. Gaming has been growing quite alot with each new generation.

However, i'm not buying a PS4 until it has more interesting exclusives like Bloodborne. Maybe Wild

#218 Posted by tormentos (18319 posts) -

@deadline-zero0 said:

People where starving for next gen since last gen lasted so long. Even the xbone is selling faster than the 360. Lack of games, which is bullshit because multiplats count, wasn't much of a factor.

The new shinny toy arrived after playing with the last one for so long. Simple. Gaming has been growing quite alot with each new generation.

However, i'm not buying a PS4 until it has more interesting exclusives like Bloodborne. Maybe Wild

No they are basically selling the same,the only difference is the xbox one never had a shortage,the xbox 360 had a shortage that lasted until April,and still they sold the same,by this month the xbox 360 should outpace the xbox one is sales numbers by time frame.

#219 Posted by Pikminmaniac (9042 posts) -

@Mickeyminime said:

if the PS4 had no games, no one would buy it regardless of the price higher or lower. People buy consoles for good games, entertainment and so much more.

The sales of PS4 iare proving otherwise... People seem to be jumping on early before the games come out. Even I might get swept up by the hype and buy one by the end of the year for inFAMOUS and Assassin's Creed Unity even though it's probably in my best interest to wait until it has a better library still. It's exciting to buy the next new thing, but rarely smart to do so so early.

#220 Posted by Chozofication (2922 posts) -

We're seeing the true power of hype here..

#221 Edited by flashn00b (2926 posts) -

I'm half-tempted to say that half of those purchases are done by aspiring techpriestshackers who wish to tend to the console's machine spiritdevelop custom firmware.

#222 Posted by StormyJoe (5497 posts) -

@tormentos said:

@dakan45 said:

Well i put it this way.

First of all VGchartz lol

And second the PS4 has like a 3 to 1 attach ratio of games.

Has more games than the xbox one and higher rated to..lol

@hrt_rulz01 said:

There was a rumor recently pointing so who knows.

But is not like you can't play all those Halo right now,with the exception of Halo 2 all others are on xbox 360 and you can play them NOW.

@StormyJoe said:

You are the one with zero evidence period,live account mean sh** more than half of the xbox 360 user base don't pay for xbox live,xbox 360 owners are moving to PS4 and you have no evidence to the contrary.

I owned a 360 since day 1 last gen,now own a PS4 and not an xbox one.. Case proven quite easy...lol

It was in their 10-k announcement...

#223 Posted by dakan45 (18621 posts) -

@Cranler: Because i got a pc that does everything better.

#224 Posted by Cranler (8809 posts) -

@dakan45 said:

@Cranler: Because i got a pc that does everything better.

You said Seems to me they buy them just like iphones, to say "hey i got the new iphone" and just sit there like a paperweight.

So why are you talking about you now?

They buy them to get better version of console multiplats and plenty of next gen only games coming soon. Long before any price drops.

#225 Posted by dakan45 (18621 posts) -

@Cranler: "plenty of next gen only games coming soon"

I dont agree with that statement. Plus the new iphone is backwards compatible games wise.

#226 Edited by da_illest101 (7521 posts) -

I don't get it either. In my case no current gen consoles have games I want to play, while I'm having a blast with my ps3. People keep saying last gen lasted too long while I think it's been pretty short.