deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

The 10m sell through in the first nine months is well beyond what we had hoped for. As you know, we have struggled to keep up with demand of PS4 for so many months. It was hard to find and purchase PS4. Now we are able to supply units so in every territory I believe you can find PS4. So we just managed to catch up with demand.

It's just beyond our imagination. We are so happy. But I for one am a bit nervous because we do not completely understand what's happening. You need to understand why your products are selling well so you can plan for the future, right? It defied the conventional thinking. Lots of people thought the dedicated game hardware might not be needed going forward, but still lots of people are very excited. When you see the new games coming out and being announced this E3 and Gamescom, I think there's a good enough reason for a gamer to believe this is something worth investing in.

SOURCE

If it makes you feel any better, Sony, I don't understand it either. Not like there's any reason for it to sell right now, lacking entirely in a games line up as it is currently.

But of course, a PlayStation is an investment in the future. Just... I'd rather invest in it when that future comes. That's just me, of course.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60681 Posts

It's as simple as #SDC

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

I don't understand why they're selling so well either, it's not like they have a massive game library right now. There is hardly anything of quality to play. I think there will be a price cut before the big games release. It's what I'm waiting for. No reason to invest yet.

EDIT; Maybe the majority of PS3 owners made the switch already? I don't have the numbers to back that up, but if someone does please share. I have heard there are more 360 owners that haven't made the generation jump yet, who knows where they'll land.

Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4  Edited By Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

Maybe they are being used for missile guidance systems.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

It's selling well because the system is easy to find in stores. People didn't have much of an issue finding them to buy.

They must be making them faster this gen.

smashed_pinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 smashed_pinata
Member since 2005 • 3747 Posts

it's pretty obvious....paperweights or door stops.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22369 Posts

Yeah I don't get it either... Hype I guess. Can't be because of games.

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 edwardecl
Member since 2005 • 2240 Posts

At least Sony admit they don't understand... unlike Nintendo who drank their own bathwater with with Wii and released the Wii-U, I think Microsoft began to drink Nintendo's bath water as well, they both though controller gimmicks was the way to go, they were mistaken.

Either that or Naughty Dog...

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10  Edited By super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33098 Posts

@edwardecl said:

At least Sony admit they don't understand... unlike Nintendo who drank their own bathwater with with Wii and released the Wii-U, I think Microsoft began to drink Nintendo's bath water as well, they both though controller gimmicks was the way to go, they were mistaken.

Either that or Naughty Dog...

If nintendo drank their own bathwater they wouldn't be in the position they are in today to an extent. Nintendo's problems run deeper than just not following sony's strategy this gen even though they tried to follow it a bit, but at least they recognized the problem now. You're right about MS anyway.They have to fix some important things with their next platform anyway.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23706 Posts

Best console hardware at a reasonable price coming from a line of consoles that have always delivered... multiply that by the fact that last gen was pretty fucking long and people just want a new console.

Then top it off with your typical Sony hype.

Even the PS3 managed to keep pace with a shit library, shit versions of multiplats and terrible price point early on, so the PS4 selling so well shouldn't be a shocker.

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

Considering all 3 active PSN friends got a PS4 and 2 local friends also got one... People are buying them. Not some secret government agency or something.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

I don't know why people are buying them. Hardly any games out for it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#14 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@Truth_Hurts_U said:

Considering all 3 active PSN friends got a PS4 and 2 local friends also got one... People are buying them. Not some secret government agency or something.

No one doubted that people are buying them. The question is... why?

AmazonAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 AmazonAngry
Member since 2014 • 968 Posts

It's SDC.

You don't understand it. You submit to it.

Perhaps if pc, Nintendo and xbox had a bit of their own " "DC...they would be able to compete with Godstation.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#16 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38026 Posts

Its really simple imo. Your major competition shit the bed on reveal, and majority of gaming consumers didn't want a Nintendo specific console. The games line up, just like the X1's is fuckin weak. Indies are fine but as an addition, not a main selling point to new hardware. Bot suffer from this. Thank god I invested in a great gaming PC.

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Kjranu
Member since 2012 • 1802 Posts

@clyde46 said:

I don't know why people are buying them. Hardly any games out for it.

Erm, maybe because most of decent games are already out? Both first and third party games. That's enough to push PS4 over the line. You don't need a million games released at launch day but a reasonable and strong lineup of games to play from launch to one year anniversary which they've achieved.

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

@charizard1605: Well, from what I see on my friend's list people are actually playing 3rd and first party games. I don't see anyone in Netflix or Hulu like I did with PS3. So it's actually being used for gaming.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@intotheminx said:

I don't understand why they're selling so well either, it's not like they have a massive game library right now. There is hardly anything of quality to play. I think there will be a price cut before the big games release. It's what I'm waiting for. No reason to invest yet.

EDIT; Maybe the majority of PS3 owners made the switch already? I don't have the numbers to back that up, but if someone does please share. I have heard there are more 360 owners that haven't made the generation jump yet, who knows where they'll land.

wrong... it has more games than any other gen so far, both in multiplat and indie...

People are quick to forget this.... even the multiplats and remasters have value.

System wars mentality I suppose.

RoboCopISJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By RoboCopISJesus
Member since 2004 • 2225 Posts

@amazonangry said:

It's SDC.

PS4 is last place so far.

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

Multiplats. I don't know why it's so hard for System Wars to accept multiplats sell systems

Call of Duty Ghost
Battlefield 4
Assassins Creed Black Flag
MGS Ground Zeroes
Watch Dogs
The Last of Us
Wolfenstein
Madden
NBA
FIFA

All of these with the exception of maybe wolfenstein and NBA probably topped a million plus on ps4

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

@charizard1605: Bragging rights? Sports games? Friends who bought, thus creating a need for their friends to buy one to play online together.

As marginalized as sports games are in this forum, it is a very SIGNIFICANT market because it is one of the few genres where consoles are superior to PC (Football Manager or Out of the Park Baseball aside, but dedicated front office sports games are a niche market).

Hell, I bought a PS4 two days ago because it's literally the only console you can get for a decent baseball sim. The Blue Jays happen to be in the hunt for a playoff spot for the first time since forever. (that and the 19 innings epic against the Tigers)

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

Funny thing... 10 million consoles sole and almost no good games out for it yet. That's the logic that I can't understand. The dust mine has collected is hitting record depths.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

Either do I

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#25  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Not sure why it's selling so well, but my personal reasons were:

- Last gen lasted too long

- Sony found the perfect balance between power, price and simplicity to develop for (as a consequence, all devs want to develop for it)

- Priority to performance. 1080p for most games and, if possible, 60fps.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

@cainetao11 said:

Its really simple imo. Your major competition shit the bed on reveal, and majority of gaming consumers didn't want a Nintendo specific console. The games line up, just like the X1's is fuckin weak. Indies are fine but as an addition, not a main selling point to new hardware. Bot suffer from this. Thank god I invested in a great gaming PC.

He has a point.

I want Sony to hurry up and announce their holidays SKU (you know it's coming) so I can preorder it.

I don't trust non-Nintendo launch consoles.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 44944 Posts

It's pretty simple, really. Last gen lasted 7 years. People were ready for next gen. Also, saying PS4 doesn't have games is just not true. Unless you're the kind of guy that just wants that big blockbuster exclusive, then yea. You're going to wait for a while. Otherwise, that's just pure BS.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

It's pretty simple, really. Last gen lasted 7 years. People were ready for next gen. Also, saying PS4 doesn't have games is just not true. Unless you're the kind of guy that just wants that big blockbuster exclusive, then yea. You're going to wait for a while. Otherwise, that's just pure BS.

I have a PS4 and the line up at the minute is pretty friggin pitiful.

Alcapello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Alcapello
Member since 2014 • 1396 Posts

Getting ready for the PS5 baby!!

which_wich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 which_wich
Member since 2014 • 189 Posts

@Phazevariance said:

Funny thing... 10 million consoles sole and almost no good games out for it yet. That's the logic that I can't understand. The dust mine has collected is hitting record depths.

HOLY SHIT! Your avatar is losing his shit!@

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#32 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

I'm sure some people are buying them for the same reason millions of people bought the PS3 at launch. Even though it was way over-priced, and had no games....brand devotion. I don't really get why Sony is surprised.

faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts

Obviously politicians.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Damien and Amazon Angry.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 44944 Posts

@blue_hazy_basic said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

I have a PS4 and the line up at the minute is pretty friggin pitiful.

then why did you buy it lol?

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 hiphops_savior

@coasterguy65: In fairness to the PS3, at launch it was one of the cheaper options for a Blu-Ray player.

That said, PS4 MLB TV app is a pretty nifty one. There is also streaming services for weeaboos alike in Netflix and that service that is provided by Sony's overextended assets but I can't recall what it's called.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@coasterguy65 said:

I'm sure some people are buying them for the same reason millions of people bought the PS3 at launch. Even though it was way over-priced, and had no games....brand devotion. I don't really get why Sony is surprised.

People buying the PS3 at launch was for the cheap Blu-Ray drive

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

@intotheminx said:

If someone plans on getting a PS 4 at some point why not just get it now to play the best console versions of multiplats? BF 4, Black Flag, Wolfenstein, Watchdogs, Madden, Fifa etc. And of course plenty of games coming out in the next few months as well.

Sony would only drop the price if sales drop considerably. A price drop before releasing a system seller would be very odd.

Nightflash28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39 Nightflash28
Member since 2004 • 2351 Posts

"there are no games on it"
That's because you guys live in a bubble where multiplats don't matter. There are enough games out there to justify getting a PS4 if you take off your fanboy goggles.

UnbiasedPoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 UnbiasedPoster
Member since 2013 • 1134 Posts

Winners and attractive people.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#41 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38026 Posts

@Couth_: Multiplats. I don't know why it's so hard for System Wars to accept multiplats sell systems

Agreed. The madden, cod, big name release like arkham knight crowd buys a console that will play these and the exclusives they like. This is why in 4-5 years time I think wiiu is in 3rd place.

ButDuuude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42  Edited By ButDuuude
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

@Couth_ said:

Multiplats. I don't know why it's so hard for System Wars to accept multiplats sell systems

Call of Duty Ghost

Battlefield 4

Assassins Creed Black Flag

MGS Ground Zeroes

Watch Dogs

The Last of Us

Wolfenstein

Madden

NBA

FIFA

All of these with the exception of maybe wolfenstein and NBA probably topped a million plus on ps4

Anybody that says there are no games on the PS4 is not a real gamer. Besides all the multiplatform games, with few exceptions like Titanfall, the PS4 also has a few exclusives already available. Killzone: Shadow Fall, Knack (yes, Knack), Infamous: Second Son, MLB The Show 14. It has more games than the competition, yet fanboys keep saying that there are no games. It has only been 9 months since launch and both the PS4 (and Xbox One) already has more and better quality games than last gen consoles in the same time period.

Alcapello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Alcapello
Member since 2014 • 1396 Posts

@farrell2k said:

New console hype. It happens to at least one console every generation.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

@intotheminx: Majority of PS3 owners? There are 80 million PS3 sold and only 10 million PS4s that's hardly the majority.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By hiphops_savior

@cainetao11: Would they buy an Xbox One when they already have a PS4? This new crowd could care less about Halo, they grew up on COD and they think Bayonetta is hawt. That and Smash Bros is spawning numerous memes and is becoming a pledging eSport after years of languishing in the dungeons by its traditionalist brothers.

Considering how cost effective it is to develop Xbox One ports, I think the likely scenario is that it will be:

1. PS4
  2. Wii U
  3. Xbox One

Don't fret, because no matter how badly Xbox One does, it is still a market worth appealing to. Why? Because cost to profit margins is much cheaper than the Wii U, which requires porting a game into a different architecture. In the mean time, Nintendo would be stretched thin to maintain that position due to lack of 3rd party support, which causes its game quality to sink deeper (Yoshi's New Island is a perfect example).

RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 RossRichard
Member since 2007 • 3738 Posts

Could be because their competition has completely failed. Nintendo and Microsoft both have completely alienated the core gamer with their various antics. A lot of hardcore gamers consider Sony the only logical choice so far this gen.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#47 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

As someone elegantly noted before:

Aliens

Avatar image for littlestreakier
littlestreakier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By littlestreakier
Member since 2004 • 2950 Posts

I personally think this generation is breaking sales records because of how LONG last generation was. On average a normal console life-span is 4 years, at least that's what I was used to. Last gen is was 8 years and still counting.

I was personally ready for the PS4 and XB1 (left out the Wii U due to the lack of power) to be released sooner than they were.

Also to everyone saying there's no need to buy a XB1 or PS4 right now I don't think are looking at it from this perspective.

1) Games will eventually be released that you'll want to play. There's not one console that I've owned in my lifetime where there were not at minimum a handful of games that I wanted to play for it.

2) Although many games right now a cross gen PS3, PS4, XB360, XB1. All of the definitive versions of those games are on PS4 and XB1. Doesn't matter what the upgrade is, slight or large, on average the definitive version of the game is on PS4 and XB1.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

It's a new console people know the games will come. No reason to wait if you want one.

tonitorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#50  Edited By tonitorsi
Member since 2006 • 8692 Posts

@Phazevariance said:

(Assuming you don't own a gaming PC) You don't play multiplats? enjoy indies? use media apps? watch Blu-ray?

To say your PS4 is collecting dust when its been outpacing the Xbox One in games seems a bit improbable.