Sony VR coming?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

I think Sony might reveal a VR headset tomorrow night at CES 2014.

I think Microsoft isnt going to reveal sh*t other than Ryse (yes I know they are not at CES I mean in general they will not reveal any consumer based innovations this year)

#2 Posted by Telekill (4344 posts) -

VR on PS4 sounds pretty neat but also pretty expensive. I've got a wait and see stance.

#4 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38210 posts) -

@SEANMCAD said:

I think Microsoft isnt going to reveal sh*t other than Ryse (yes I know they are not at CES I mean in general they will not reveal any consumer based innovations this year)

Well they did say they would reveal more about it after the PS4 launch because they didn't wanna detract from that. Plus the 1080p Oculus RIft will be there and it seems like a perfect place for Sony to unveil theirs too, I reckon you could be right

Let's hope it's actually decent and can compete with the Rift somewhat and isn't just a cash grab. I'd like more competition in the VR market to drive it forward rather than the Rift dominating it

#5 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

@SEANMCAD said:

Well they did say they would reveal more about it after the PS4 launch because they didn't wanna detract from that. Plus the 1080p Oculus RIft will be there and it seems like a perfect place for Sony to unveil theirs too, I reckon you could be right

Let's hope it's actually decent and can compete with the Rift somewhat and isn't just a cash grab. I'd like more competition in the VR market to drive it forward rather than the Rift dominating it

agreed (mostly) by that I mean I like the Rift just fine (I have one) but I also dont really care who wins the VR race just that the race is happening.

In fact for the record even though I talk alot about Oculus I am not married to Oculus specifically, VR however I am really excited about

#6 Posted by clyde46 (44132 posts) -

I remember Sony saying that already had a VR headset prototype. It wasn't advanced as the Rift though.

#7 Edited by seanmcloughlin (38210 posts) -

@SEANMCAD said:

agreed (mostly) by that I mean I like the Rift just fine (I have one) but I also dont really care who wins the VR race just that the race is happening.

In fact for the record even though I talk alot about Oculus I am not married to Oculus specifically, VR however I am really excited about

Agreed. The Rift is great and all but it's by no means perfect. There's a lot to innovate on it and the more companies doing it the better. One company dominating means slower progress

@clyde46 said:

I remember Sony saying that already had a VR headset prototype. It wasn't advanced as the Rift though.

Well the Rift prototype isn't very advanced either so hopefully given enough time they can get better. Wouldn't be surprised if Sony are waiting to see the 1080p Rift to go from there. You know how they love to copy :P

#8 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

well one quick visual I saw from a video had the Sony headset with a camera in front which can make for some amazing augmented reality.

Oculus version someone is starting to work on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bc_TCLoH2CA

What I find interesting (although not surprised) is the lack of Microsoft presence in pretty much all technology markets.

#9 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

@SEANMCAD said:

Agreed. The Rift is great and all but it's by no means perfect. There's a lot to innovate on it and the more companies doing it the better. One company dominating means slower progress

@clyde46 said:

Well the Rift prototype isn't very advanced either so hopefully given enough time they can get better. Wouldn't be surprised if Sony are waiting to see the 1080p Rift to go from there. You know how they love to copy :P

I have little doubt that this very fact is why Oculus is trying to get as much buzz on it as they can.

what might give them the win however is any patent they might have submitted.

#10 Posted by lamprey263 (22851 posts) -

I'm surprised Sony has money to waste on such endeavors since they're pretty much in make it or break it mode.

#11 Posted by foxhound_fox (87379 posts) -

Not sure why they don't just make the PS4 Oculus Rift compatible. Would save them a lot of money.

#12 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

Not sure why they don't just make the PS4 Oculus Rift compatible. Would save them a lot of money.

I think maybe because Sony might have already been well into developing their own.

I think if they dont announce it at CES then its a full green light for Oculus to become the standard.

#13 Posted by Murderstyle75 (4165 posts) -

If they are announcing a VR headset, it better be for video only. I wouldn't want to be forced to use the same kind of shitty audio that comes from their Pulse Elites.

#14 Edited by Phazevariance (10934 posts) -

I bet sony annoucne their verson of kinect, then it fails to sell and they forget about it like Move.

#15 Edited by Riverwolf007 (23435 posts) -

it is hilarious to me that there have been dozens of things just like this on the market and they have all failed and every time people are screaming "this time will be different!"

guess what, this time will not be different and the rift and whatever other vr headsets that are about to drop will end up gathering dust in the bottom of someones closet just like the rest of them did.

go ahead and type vr headset into a google image search and just look at the dozens upon dozens of these things that have come and gone.

nothing is more niche than finding people that can stand to wear this crap on their heads for longer than a 15 minute stretch.

it's a great idea and all but doomed because of having to strap some giant honking chunk of crap to your head.

people hate it and they don't even know how much they hate it until the have one on for longer than a few mins.

seriously, i know you guys are drooling over this thing but you hate it and don't even know it yet.

#16 Edited by Nonstop-Madness (9466 posts) -

Pretty certain we'll see a VR headset from Sony that is aimed towards the average consumer. PS4 support will probably be a large selling point.

#17 Posted by hoodedjustice3 (253 posts) -

Nintando did dis yeers ago. wen will sony and mikrosoft lern

#18 Edited by Gargus (2147 posts) -

@SEANMCAD said:

Yeah, you said this already in the general games section. http://www.gamespot.com/forums/games-discussion-1000000/i-think-sony-might-be-about-to-31017241/#4

That how you get your post count so high is by re-posting the stupid threads in multiple sections?

And you don't think it, you know sony is doing it.....because they told us they were last year. Whats next you going to tell us how you think Nintendo is going unveil Mario kart 8 for the wiiu?

#19 Posted by nini200 (9480 posts) -

@Telekill said:

VR on PS4 sounds pretty neat but also pretty expensive. I've got a wait and see stance.

Well people are spending $200 for a Vita just for off tv streaming so I'm sure Sony will market it to where the consumers pony up the cash for it.

#20 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38210 posts) -

The Rift guys said the consoles are too limited for their intentions. So Sony's only other choice would be to make one

#21 Posted by ButDuuude (415 posts) -

I bet sony announce their verson of kinect, then it fails to sell and they forget about it like Move.

Kinect is Microsoft's version of Sony's Eyetoy.

#22 Posted by silversix_ (13924 posts) -

Is the thing even 1080p?

#23 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

it is hilarious to me that there have been dozens of things just like this on the market and they have all failed and every time people are screaming "this time will be different!"

guess what, this time will not be different and the rift and whatever other vr headsets that are about to drop will end up gathering dust in the bottom of someones closet just like the rest of them did.

go ahead and type vr headset into a google image search and just look at the dozens upon dozens of these things that have come and gone.

nothing is more niche than finding people that can stand to wear this crap on their heads for longer than a 15 minute stretch.

it's a great idea and all but doomed because of having to strap some giant honking chunk of crap to your head.

people hate it and they don't even know how much they hate it until the have one on for longer than a few mins.

seriously, i know you guys are drooling over this thing but you hate it and don't even know it yet.

a dozen? or do you really mean one.

can you name more than two?

#24 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

Guys!

1. There haven't been 'dozen' of VR attempts there has been basically one and it was 20 years ago... f8clking stop it already. give it up. VR is already here, period. Oculus works fine but it might not be the winner in any VR war in 2014.

2. Oculus (and I would seriously doubt sony) plan to make games that would REQUIRE you to wear a headset. For f9ck sake get a clue! its not 3d glasses.

3. Oculus did say that the consoles are far too limiting and for good reasons however in another interview I saw it somewhat sounds like something else is going on there. It appears Microsoft and Sony are basically not being 'open' about the possible platform. Additionally, they (Oculus) have claimed to have a mobile device running a game at 1080p with 60fps and if that is true it would be pretty sad for both consoles if they cant do the same. so its very interesting to watch what is happening here.

#25 Posted by foxhound_fox (87379 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

The Rift guys said the consoles are too limited for their intentions. So Sony's only other choice would be to make one

So it's going to be the PS4's Move then.

#26 Posted by Joedgabe (5093 posts) -
#27 Posted by pelvist (4581 posts) -

Palmer Lucky recons the XBOne and PS4 are too limited to fulfill the vision they have for the Rift.

"Consoles are too limited for what we want to do. We're trying to make the best virtual reality device in the world and we want to continue to innovate and upgrade every year - continue making progress internally - and whenever we make big jumps we want to push that to the public.

The problem with consoles in general is that once they come out they're locked to a certain spec for a long, long time. Look at the PCs that existed eight years ago. There have been so many huge advances since then. Now look at the VR hardware of today. I think the jump we're going to see in the next four or five years is going to be massive, and already VR is a very intensive thing, it requires rendering at high resolutions at over 60 frames a second in 3D." -Palmer Lucky

So, dont get your hopes up for Rift on consoles and hope that whatever Sony or MS may have in the works isnt some cheap and nasty cash in like Move was. Also there are rumors that Valve may be in some kind of deal with Oculus or are developing their own VR Headset too.

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/valve-to-follow-oculus-rift-s-lead-and-demo-its-own-vr-headset-1200642

http://allthingsd.com/20131217/why-a-cozy-relationship-between-valve-and-oculus-vr-makes-perfect-sense/

Competition is always good as it keeps prices lower and innovation strong. Id also imagine many VR developed games to be cross compatible with other forms of VR on other systems. The more VR headsets available to everyone despite their system preference the better chance this has of really taking off.

#28 Edited by seanmcloughlin (38210 posts) -

Something spotted at CES

Don't know if this is it and if it IS then it's a prototype

#29 Edited by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

@pelvist said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Palmer Lucky recons the XBOne and PS4 are too limited to fulfill the vision they have for the Rift.

"Consoles are too limited for what we want to do. We're trying to make the best virtual reality device in the world and we want to continue to innovate and upgrade every year - continue making progress internally - and whenever we make big jumps we want to push that to the public.

The problem with consoles in general is that once they come out they're locked to a certain spec for a long, long time. Look at the PCs that existed eight years ago. There have been so many huge advances since then. Now look at the VR hardware of today. I think the jump we're going to see in the next four or five years is going to be massive, and already VR is a very intensive thing, it requires rendering at high resolutions at over 60 frames a second in 3D." -Palmer Lucky

So, dont get your hopes up for Rift on consoles and hope that whatever Sony or MS may have in the works isnt some cheap and nasty cash in like Move was. Also there are rumors that Valve may be in some kind of deal with Oculus or are developing their own VR Headset too.

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/valve-to-follow-oculus-rift-s-lead-and-demo-its-own-vr-headset-1200642

http://allthingsd.com/20131217/why-a-cozy-relationship-between-valve-and-oculus-vr-makes-perfect-sense/

Competition is always good as it keeps prices lower and innovation strong. Id also imagine many VR developed games to be cross compatible with other forms of VR on other systems. The more VR headsets available to everyone despite their system preference the better chance this has of really taking off.

Palmer also said they got 'a mobile device to run at 1080p 60fps' which at first I thought it was a mobile phone, but now that I think about it I bet it was the Nivdia shield.

Regardless of what mobile device its going to be a huge slap in the face if a mobile device of this year can out perform a next gen console which I think is about to happen

#30 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38210 posts) -

@SEANMCAD said:

Palmer also said they got 'a mobile device to run at 1080p 60fps' which at first I thought it was a mobile phone, but now that I think about it I bet it was the Nivdia shield.

Regardless of what mobile device its going to be a huge slap in the face if a mobile device of this year can out perform a next gen console which I think is about to happen

It's not just about raw horsepower though, he's talking about upgrades and improvements that happen in the PC and mobile market. They're constantly changing and getting stronger all the time with a bigger suite of things they can do where as consoles are just stuck in place.That and consoles are very closed off systems not allowing you to tinker with them or create ways to break in support in games for such devices, they HAVE to be made for it or they won't work, you can't have stuff like VorpX or Vireio to help for the ones that aren't native.

#31 Edited by FoxbatAlpha (6068 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

This. I think using the Eye Toy (love that name) and the Kinect to track your body would add another level of coolness. All this while looking through the OR.

#32 Edited by seanmcloughlin (38210 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

This. I think using the Eye Toy (love that name) and the Kinect to track your body would add another level of coolness. All this while looking through the OR.

There's even PC Oculus Rift demos that use Kinect to simulate your entire body into a game world which is pretty cool.

Using the Eye Toy and Kinect in conjunction with the stuff inside the headset for tracking could actually be pretty great and could be more precise if done right

#33 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

@SEANMCAD said:

It's not just about raw horsepower though, he's talking about upgrades and improvements that happen in the PC and mobile market. They're constantly changing and getting stronger all the time with a bigger suite of things they can do where as consoles are just stuck in place.That and consoles are very closed off systems not allowing you to tinker with them or create ways to break in support in games for such devices, they HAVE to be made for it or they won't work, you can't have stuff like VorpX or Vireio to help for the ones that aren't native.

true...

it just that it will be a sad day for consoles if the next major upgrade in tech happens in less than 12 months which looks like exactly what is happening.

Basically at release consoles where already dated.

#34 Posted by killzowned24 (7298 posts) -

I think would be a very bad idea since it would likely cost more than the console itself.

#35 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38210 posts) -

@SEANMCAD said:

true...

it just that it will be a sad day for consoles if the next major upgrade in tech happens in less than 12 months which looks like exactly what is happening.

Basically at release consoles where already dated.

Hardware wise? yeah maybe they're a bit outdated will that stop them from producing great looking games? Nope

Look how dated the PS3 was by the time TLOU came out and that game still managed to have great visuals and had some of the fanciest lighting work I've ever seen

#36 Edited by AmnesiaHaze (5683 posts) -

im already playing on a sony head display -HMZ t2 , its great although im sure theres lots of improvement space like resolution and comfort , but the 3D is amazin and better than in cinemas or an TV display , cant wait for new revisions of that device