Sony Under Pressure from Investors..

• 92 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by FoxbatAlpha (9005 posts) -

The first links are from May 2013 where Sony's top investor was calling for a split within the company. This investor sent a personal letter to Kaz pushing for this. This investor stated in the letter that his company would invest another $2 billion if Sony would comply with these requests.

http://www.streetinsider.com/13Ds/Dan+Loeb+Builds+Massive+Stake+in+Sony+%28SNE%29,+Wants+Entertainment+Arm+Split/8334107.html

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2013/05/14/hedge-fund-wants-part-of-sony-entertainment-sold/2157617/

Today, 9 months later it appears the plan has started to go through. The computer division has been sold along with spinning off the T.V. division in wake of a $1.1 billion loss was forecast. Sony is doing this to put more effort into mobile devices. Is this really smart investing more resources in a field controlled by Apple and Samsung?

One analyst talks about this in a Bloomberg interview. A good 5 minute piece.

http://www.bloomberg.com/video/sony-should-exit-from-electronics-goyal-says-PTa7RiRsQZ6zUEQeSxFYag.html

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2095180/sony-sheds-vaio-pc-business-turns-tv-unit-into-subsidiary.html

5,000 jobs cut already this year with 10,000 cut last year.

So my point to all this (besides being a direct response to Animal-Mothers thread http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/investors-want-ms-ceo-to-dump-xbox-brand-31073379/#184 ) is could this investor have the influence to get Sony back on track? OR is Sony willing to do anything to get investors backing at this point.

With billions invested and billions lost could the PS4 and the Xbox One be the last great consoles to ever see the light of day?

Investors look at the previous consoles from both companies as a loss. What makes the PS4 and Xbox One any different?

Discuss and Enjoy!!!!!!!!

What I'm drinking...............

#2 Posted by Mr-Kutaragi (2462 posts) -

lol selfown. I still like you foxbat.

#3 Edited by Tighaman (1038 posts) -

So you want cows to have an intellectual conversation something negative about Sony or the ps4? Good luck with that one lol.

#4 Edited by Krelian-co (13098 posts) -

FoxdroneAlpha thread.... nothing to see here

#5 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (9005 posts) -

@Mr-Kutaragi said:

Everything i say and do is a self own. Bro Gamers to the end!!!!!!!!!

#6 Edited by FoxbatAlpha (9005 posts) -
@Tighaman said:

So you want cows to have an intellectual conversation something negative about Sony or the ps4? Good luck with that one lol.

I thought we would try something different. These are tough news times and i really think there will not be a super console to come after this gen.

@Mr-Kutaragi said:

#7 Posted by I_can_haz (6511 posts) -

lolFoxbatAlpha thread.

#8 Edited by FoxbatAlpha (9005 posts) -

@Krelian-co said:

FoxdroneAlpha thread.... nothing to see here

LOL, Krillin post.

#9 Posted by no-scope-AK47 (3053 posts) -

Seems if Sony does as he asks they would open the entertainment arm to being taken over.

#10 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (9005 posts) -

@I_can_haz said:

lolFoxbatAlpha thread.

And to think..............I was going to tell you about the time I was at the Magic Kingdom and met Mickey Mouse..................................Well now you can forget it sir!

#11 Posted by killatwill15 (855 posts) -

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@I_can_haz said:

lolFoxbatAlpha thread.

And to think..............I was going to tell you about the time I was at the Magic Kingdom and met Mickey Mouse..................................Well now you can forget it sir!

is that why you are drinking?

because mickey mouse touched you?

#12 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (9005 posts) -

@killatwill15 said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@I_can_haz said:

lolFoxbatAlpha thread.

You and i remember Disney very differently. I'm sorry for your traumatic childhood but hey that's what counseling is for.

Back on topic. all these posts and one person has elected to join the conversation.....................

#13 Posted by killatwill15 (855 posts) -

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@killatwill15 said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@I_can_haz said:

lolFoxbatAlpha thread.

And to think.............."I was going to tell you about the time I was at the Magic Kingdom and met Mickey Mouse"..................................Well now you can forget it sir!

You and i remember Disney very differently. I'm sorry for your traumatic childhood but hey that's what counseling is for.

Back on topic. all these posts and one person has elected to join the conversation.....................

I never went to that satanic cult,

but have a few to forget your visit,

it wasn't my fault you changed the topic by talking about Disney land

#14 Posted by timbers_WSU (6076 posts) -

@Mr-Kutaragi said:

No one likes you.

#15 Posted by I_can_haz (6511 posts) -

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@I_can_haz said:

lolFoxbatAlpha thread.

You should have gone with that instead. Seems like a much more interesting topic than this thread lol.

#16 Edited by killatwill15 (855 posts) -

@I_can_haz said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@I_can_haz said:

lolFoxbatAlpha thread.

You should have gone with that instead. Seems like a much more interesting topic than this thread lol.

yeah he got it from pluto doggy style,

while Donald duck was in backround going

"whack whicky whack whack"

#17 Posted by misterpmedia (4485 posts) -

#18 Posted by darkangel115 (2232 posts) -

IDk what sony could really do at this point. If they didn't make so much off of insurance in japan they would have went under. I'd hate to see the PS brand go away, but at this point they would be smart to start selling off and shedding divisions. If i was sony i would start by selling/scrapping all hardware. Keep the motion pictures going but stick with movies that can make a ton only and not take chances. keep selling insurance and make 3rd party games to boost sales of software.

#19 Posted by _Matt_ (9432 posts) -

Well I think it's good that Sony have started to strip down the excess divisions, those making little money.

I think it's also a good idea they keep going with phones at the moment, as Xperia phones are currently really really good; and their smart watches that can go with work well too.

#22 Posted by Evo_nine (2099 posts) -

Consoles last gen were sold at a loss.

This time they are sold at a profit and xbox will avoid a RROD saga.

So im predicting both will be profitable this generation and consoles will be saved.

If not, looks like we all will become hermits.

#23 Posted by Nonstop-Madness (9493 posts) -

Loeb wanted to detach the entertainment part of Sony from the electronics part. How the **** does making the TV division a subsidiary of Sony support that idea? .... I gave up after that.

Anyways, I thought sales talk was bad but all of this nonsense about which company is going to drop out of gaming first based on things none of us truly understand is just plain stupid and a waste of time to even try to understand.

#24 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (9005 posts) -

@Nonstop-Madness said:

Loeb wanted to detach the entertainment part of Sony from the electronics part. How the **** does making the TV division a subsidiary of Sony support that idea? .... I gave up after that.

Anyways, I thought sales talk was bad but all of this nonsense about which company is going to drop out of gaming first based on things none of us truly understand is just plain stupid and a waste of time to even try to understand.

I am not saying they will drop out of gaming. I am saying with the amount of money invested in gaming and the amount lost, seems it might reach a point where enough is enough. The Ps5 and Xbox 5000 might be stream only devices. Who knows..........

#25 Posted by ominous_titan (816 posts) -

Thanks TC now I'm drinking scotch on a work night.

#26 Posted by MrXboxOne (799 posts) -

Mark my words. PS4 will be renamed Microsoft Playstation 4. There going out of business.

#27 Posted by Mr-Kutaragi (2462 posts) -

@timbers_WSU said:

@Mr-Kutaragi said:

No one likes you.

Why so bitter timbers because halo delay? TLHBO.

#30 Posted by WitIsWisdom (3869 posts) -

I don't care if SONY sells off everything except their TV's, audio equipment, and playstation brand. Be Nintendo for all I care... make that money and cut the fat... why the hell not. Maybe if your TV's and audop equipment that is only slightly better than competitive products wasn't THREE FREAKING times as much money they wouldn't be in this situation to begin with. on that note... I am here for their gaming division.. and that is going well. So the rest is just drivel. Not pointless drivel mind... lol but drivel none the less.

#31 Posted by Bigboi500 (31309 posts) -

This just in: Fanboys under pressure from Sony's AWESOMENESS!

#32 Edited by Alucard_Prime (3433 posts) -

@FoxbatAlpha: Sounds like some of these investors don't know much about gaming. Right now videogames is one of the hottest entertainment industries on earth. Investors only care about money, and they usually prefer low risk and high yield ventures, which videogames are not, and that's what makes them so interesting, you can't always have a formula for producing a great game

Considering the new MS ceo was involved in the Xone cloud design, I'm no longer worried about MS unloading Xbox. I don't know about Sony enough to comment on their current financial situation, but I would be surprised if they buckled under this pressure as well, because Playstation is Sony's flagship product. Investors are probably happy that Sony is now charging for multiplayer, because that brings more revenue, and it helps they have a lead over MS, but the generation has only begun and they need to step their game up.

They're losing steam now as MS is prepping for TitanFall, and you better believe that those investors will wonder what is going on at Sony if that game is a huge hit. Either way, March will be an interesting month.

By the way that whiskey is great, but one day you should dabble in the single malt variety, it's worth having once in a while.

#33 Edited by gago-gago (9864 posts) -

Is this why they sold the Vaio brand to investors? I was wondering why didn't they just sell it to someone that could make the brand live on. It's like Sony are the first to tell you they'll support their brand for years but when things aren't going well they're the first to discontinue, cancel, close, and sell off their products.

#34 Posted by kuu2 (7963 posts) -

#35 Edited by PinkieWinkie (1454 posts) -

@MrXboxOne: kids, this is why you stay in school

#36 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (9005 posts) -

@ominous_titan said:

Thanks TC now I'm drinking scotch on a work night.

damn skippy son.

#37 Edited by FoxbatAlpha (9005 posts) -

@Alucard_Prime said:

@FoxbatAlpha: Sounds like some of these investors don't know much about gaming. Right now videogames is one of the hottest entertainment industries on earth. Investors only care about money, and they usually prefer low risk and high yield ventures, which videogames are not, and that's what makes them so interesting, you can't always have a formula for producing a great game

Considering the new MS ceo was involved in the Xone cloud design, I'm no longer worried about MS unloading Xbox. I don't know about Sony enough to comment on their current financial situation, but I would be surprised if they buckled under this pressure as well, because Playstation is Sony's flagship product. Investors are probably happy that Sony is now charging for multiplayer, because that brings more revenue, and it helps they have a lead over MS, but the generation has only begun and they need to step their game up.

They're losing steam now as MS is prepping for TitanFall, and you better believe that those investors will wonder what is going on at Sony if that game is a huge hit. Either way, March will be an interesting month.

By the way that whiskey is great, but one day you should dabble in the single malt variety, it's worth having once in a while.

Well said. March will be a huge month indeed and will be here before we know it. GS will probably shut down from the traffic. lol.

Black label is my norm scotch. I have had some Blue Label before and it was heavenly. :)

#38 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (6256 posts) -

Shitbat angry that MS investors are still annoyed at Xbone being an annoying distraction and the shares still flatlining despite the new CEO.

Mods please lock thread and IP ban Shitbat.

#39 Posted by Zen_Light (1639 posts) -

It's getting harder and harder to trudge through all the deep bullshit on this forum. Can anyone suggest some good boots to walk through feces?

#40 Edited by lamprey263 (25595 posts) -

not really "investors" as a plural, just Daniel Loeb

#41 Posted by shawn30 (4367 posts) -

@GrenadeLauncher said:

Shitbat angry that MS investors are still annoyed at Xbone being an annoying distraction and the shares still flatlining despite the new CEO.

Cows remain...

Sony Investors and stockholders remain...

Also, never forget...

#42 Edited by StrongBlackVine (9471 posts) -

@FoxbatAlpha said:
@Tighaman said:

I thought we would try something different. These are tough news times and i really think there will not be a super console to come after this gen.

@Mr-Kutaragi said:

PS4 is going to make a lot of money for Sony this gen(it already has posted a profit in the launch quarter) so I don't see them leaving the industry whether it is traditional consoles ore whatever.

Xbox division is about take a bath(in losses) once the desperation and price cuts kick in later this year.

#43 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (9005 posts) -

@shawn30 said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

Cows remain...

Also, never forget...

Damn, TurdLauncher owned again. I don't know why that guy even logs in anymore.

#44 Edited by FoxbatAlpha (9005 posts) -

@Zen_Light said:

It's getting harder and harder to trudge through all the deep bullshit on this forum. Can anyone suggest some good boots to walk through feces?

#45 Posted by Shewgenja (11019 posts) -

Isn't this what happens while waiting for XBone games to install?

#46 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (9005 posts) -

@Shewgenja said:

Isn't this what happens while waiting for XBone games to install?

Patch.............please fix this.........................

#47 Edited by GrenadeLauncher (6256 posts) -

@shawn30 said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

Cows remain...

Also, never forget...

PlayStation makes a nice chunk of change. It'll be around regardless.

Meanwhile...

#49 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (6256 posts) -

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

@shawn30 said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

Cows remain...

Also, never forget...

PlayStation makes a nice chunk of change. It'll be around regardless.

Meanwhile...

You are the next Tormentos in the making. Just babble on about shit and deflect topics.

Meanwhile you are, and will always be, ShitbatAlpha, en par with blackace, StormyJoe and Tim Doggermania.

#50 Posted by resevl4rlz (3287 posts) -

And Investors want Microsoft to canned the xbox and your pointis