Sony trying to punch above it's weight class with COD:AW?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

So DF is toying with COD now and their findings are interesting. AW is actually smoother on the xbone according to DF:

With patch version 1.04 installed, the PS4 version's constant 1080p output comes at a price. We catch dips between the 50-60fps lines during battles through Seoul's streets - with drops to the high 40s caught when throwing the 'threat' grenades to scan the area for enemies. Even in perfectly matched scenes, the Xbox One's performance tends to hold at a perfect 60fps by comparison

Ouch.

Up until now, the PlayStation 4 version remained an enigma. Running at 1080p, its presentation remains king of course, while Microsoft's hardware only occasionally shifts up to that resolution, typically in less demanding areas. However, the less consistent 50-60fps performance level on Sony's platform is a surprising state of affairs, and bearing in mind that frame-rate is king in Call of Duty, we're surprised that the dynamic scaling tech wasn't deployed on both platforms.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-call-of-duty-advanced-warfare-performance-analysis

So for the campaign at least the PS4 seems to have bitten off a little bit more than it can chew. It's an interesting gen for consoles. On one hand ms wants to force parity but on the other PS4 wants to force 1080p. Is Sony really for gamers by gamers or for marketing by marketing? Seems to me they are all-in on winning the fanboy war even at the cost of the gaming experience for their fans.

I'm sure cows will now claim DF bias with this one.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

PRS4

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

So neither console is capable of playing the latest Call of Duty title at 1080p AND a constant 60 frames per second.

Whereas midrange PCs are.

lel

Evo_nine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Evo_nine
Member since 2012 • 2224 Posts

ps4 wanted to play with the big boys but got owned in the process lol.

weak piss confirmed.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#5  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

How is it the console's fault for the dev not optimizing the game? They fully know the capabilities of the system yet they were ok with framerate dips. They could have lowered rendering fidelity and it 1080p60 no problem. Not the PS4's fault they didn't.

If this some knock on the PS4 trying to make the Xbox One look stronger that shit just isn't going to fly. It's proven fact that the PS4 is more capeable in every way. End of discussion. There is no arguing that. The gap between the Xbox One and PS4 isn't huge, but it is there with the PS4 coming out on top. However the PS4 is a game console with a finite amount of rendering capabilities. Developers know this limit and it's not the PS4's fault if devs push it too hard.

They could have done 900p and kept it probably at 60fps without a problem yet they chose against that. Not the PS4's fault for a developer's poor decisions.

Also before the whole "but this proves the PS4 is weak as shit" argument comes up, just let me say no shit. It's not a high end gaming machine. The thing launched in 2013 at $399 with a 500 gb harddrive, 8 gbs of RAM (during a time when ram was unfortunately higher priced thanks to some bullshit in that market), and a blu-ray drive. Even now, in 2014, you can't build a PC with that value for that money. So no shit it's not some graphic powerhouse. Even a "midrange" PC in 2014 costs roughly $600 if you want to completely skip on things like a case, a decent motherboard, a decent powersupply.

So lets drop the shit.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#6  Edited By Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

40-50s in the FPS is still extremely playable, while you will notice the drops from a solid 60FPS, it's hardly a "game breaker." (Just like the difference in resolution is hardly a game breaker)

lglz1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By lglz1337
Member since 2013 • 4959 Posts

never forget the tearing in xposbone version and sub-hd

i take 3 instances of framedrop you wont even notice anyday over 3rd grade console version.

if the dev worked that extra hour on this game they could easily fix it

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#9 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

@lglz1337 said:

never forget the tearing in xposbone version and sub-hd

i take 3 instances of framedrop you wont even notice anyday over 3rd grade console version.

if the dev worked that extra hour on this game they could easily fix it

You're trying way too hard. That was bad and you should feel bad.

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

well its PC>>>PS4>>X1 then !!

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

I cant wait for the inevitable PS4 30 fps lock patch lol.

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PapaTrop
Member since 2014 • 1792 Posts

I'll take constant 60fps.

However, lolCoD

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

@Wasdie said:

How is it the console's fault for the dev not optimizing the game? They fully know the capabilities of the system yet they were ok with framerate dips. They could have lowered rendering fidelity and it 1080p60 no problem. Not the PS4's fault they didn't.

If this some knock on the PS4 trying to make the Xbox One look stronger that shit just isn't going to fly. It's proven fact that the PS4 is more capeable in every way. End of discussion. There is no arguing that. The gap between the Xbox One and PS4 isn't huge, but it is there with the PS4 coming out on top. However the PS4 is a game console with a finite amount of rendering capabilities. Developers know this limit and it's not the PS4's fault if devs push it too hard.

They could have done 900p and kept it probably at 60fps without a problem yet they chose against that. Not the PS4's fault for a developer's poor decisions.

Also before the whole "but this proves the PS4 is weak as shit" argument comes up, just let me say no shit. It's not a high end gaming machine. The thing launched in 2013 at $399 with a 500 gb harddrive, 8 gbs of RAM (during a time when ram was unfortunately higher priced thanks to some bullshit in that market), and a blu-ray drive. Even now, in 2014, you can't build a PC with that value for that money. So no shit it's not some graphic powerhouse. Even a "midrange" PC in 2014 costs roughly $600 if you want to completely skip on things like a case, a decent motherboard, a decent powersupply.

So lets drop the shit.

Because, Wasdie, you prominent Sony apologist, I think this is yet another case of Sony lobbying for 1080p no matter what. That is my theory anyway. At the end of the day, it's your word against mine. You cannot prove that Sony didn't lobby for 1080p while I cannot prove that devs didn't optimize game well enough.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

and the PC version ?

Spitfire-Six

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Spitfire-Six
Member since 2014 • 1378 Posts

@Wasdie said:

So lets drop the shit.

holy shit you went full meltdown mode.

lglz1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By lglz1337
Member since 2013 • 4959 Posts

@Stevo_the_gamer: no man, lems acting this is some sort of victory with their screan tear sub hd version.

and the part where cod shines the most MP runs rock solid 60fps @full 1080p and 3rd grade console is not

ps4 wins, naughty dog should give a lesson or 2 on how to optimize a game

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

"Clarity on geometric edges is affected - producing blurrier outlines in our matched shots below - as well as creating a muddier appearance to sub-pixel sampling across trees and grass. The opening shot of Seoul's skyscrapers is a good example of this, where window details on each building appear cleaner on PlayStation 4."

Avatar image for notorious1234na
Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Notorious1234NA
Member since 2014 • 1917 Posts

@Malta_1980: didnt like ever COD tank on PC?

GTSaiyanjin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GTSaiyanjin2
Member since 2005 • 6018 Posts

I think its just a bad port... on both the X1 and the PS4. I keep hearing that the devs had 3 years to make the game, and now that just sounds like BS to me. The frame rate drops happen mostly when the game is loading a check point, or a real time cut scene is about to happen. Clearly something is not coded right in these console ports.

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

Yeah it wouldn't surprise me if Sony has told the big studios that 1080p is a must no matter what, of course I can't prove this but Sony's marketing seems to suggest this kind of thing is going on.

Dasein808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Dasein808
Member since 2008 • 839 Posts

CoD & consoles, lol.

psx_warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By psx_warrior
Member since 2006 • 1757 Posts

@Wasdie: I feel the same way. I do prefer the Xbone over the PS4 though because of MCC and Halo 5. I still think they are both great machines that are truly next gen when you put them side by side with their previous gen counterparts. I saw a video comparing Battlefield 4 on the 360 to the Xbone, and one scene was striking to me. A small building blew up, and the flames in the 360 version just looked all fake and like a puff of red smoke. The Xbone version looked like a real explosion with real fire. We should really cut these systems a bit of slack and enjoy the fact that CoD: AW looks as good as they do on both systems, regardless of if the frame rate drops a little. Who gives a rats behind! I wouldn't have cared if they dropped the resolution to 900p so that both systems could maintain a better frame rate, but I don't care! They look incredible, and when I have the money for an Xbone again (long story) I'm gonna enjoy it, MCC, and I gotta get Titanfall again. I lived and breathed that game for a good while.

chemstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By chemstrike
Member since 2014 • 63 Posts

@GTSaiyanjin2 said:

I think its just a bad port... on both the X1 and the PS4. I keep hearing that the devs had 3 years to make the game, and now that just sounds like BS to me. The frame rate drops happen mostly when the game is loading a check point, or a real time cut scene is about to happen. Clearly something is not coded right in these console ports.

A 3 year dev cycle doesn't mean there won't be bugs. HL 2 took about 5 years and was a mess on release. Freaking stutter bug thats never been fixed, it even occurs in CS Go.

Anyways, Playstation and CoD just don't mix well. At least judging by Black Ops 1 which ran like absolute garbage on PS 3 and Ghosts which ran like crap on PS 4.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

And what do you think the X1 would run it at if it was in 1080p?

From the live stream the game actually looks pretty dam good and it's lowest dip is 44 fps with the majority of the time being between 50 and 60.

chemstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 chemstrike
Member since 2014 • 63 Posts

@Malta_1980 said:

well its PC>>>PS4>>X1 then !!

PC has a much lower player count though so some of the less popular modes are unplayable after a few months. I hear the classic modes on AW on pc have no players at all.

psx_warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 psx_warrior
Member since 2006 • 1757 Posts

@OhSnapitz said:

"Clarity on geometric edges is affected - producing blurrier outlines in our matched shots below - as well as creating a muddier appearance to sub-pixel sampling across trees and grass. The opening shot of Seoul's skyscrapers is a good example of this, where window details on each building appear cleaner on PlayStation 4."

And your point? Why should I care?

Bubba03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Bubba03
Member since 2003 • 477 Posts

I don't know about you guys but I just got the game for my Xbone and it looks and runs fantastic!

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

@Desmonic said:

Its worth noting that this applies only to the SP according to DF. The MP is a solid 60fps at 1080p on the PS4. The MP on the XB1 seems to be the same weird res (1330x1080 or something) at 60fps too.

Or at least they didnt mention major issues with it.

Seriously spot on, trying to make threads to put the PS4 down, lets get one thing straight, the Xbox One at the moment does have the more colourful and rounded lot of exclusives even if most have come out for PC or are going to be, but please please stop making threads about PS4 punching above it's weight, this is down to the developers and optimizing, we all know call of duty have a deal with microsoft, and that's the reason.

PS4 has better hardware that is a fact, there is no IFs or BUTs, it's just fact we can't change it, we can't put a spin on words to make the Xbox One better in terms of hardware, because it isn't, they had a mindset of going into this gen as a multimedia box which could play games, the whole 1 box for everything was the term used around launch, just because a decent guy comes in to change it to all about the games doesn't mean the hardware changes.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Ps4 is well over the cinematic 30fps level, lol at that 720-900p...last gen

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

So you've got frame rate drops on one console and slightly fewer frame rate drops, a lower resolution and screen tearing on the other.

This is what constitutes a win for lemmings in 2014.

Sad.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

I'm getting the PS4 version because they have superior mulitplats............umhmmm...............uhhhh.

Wait. Someone help me.

Thank you Sony. You made my day!

*goes back to playing superior Xbox ONE version*

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Malta_1980

@FoxbatAlpha: You shouldn't put 'Superior version' and X1 in the same sentence for multiplats which are also available on PC..

Use that phrase if a game is only available on X1 & WiiU !!

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#35 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

Sad day for gaming when the most powerful console in the history of mankind can't do 1080p/60. I'll stick to PC for the true superior multiplats and Wii U for its fantastic exclusives.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

@FoxbatAlpha said:

I'm getting the PS4 version because they have superior mulitplats............umhmmm...............uhhhh.

Wait. Someone help me.

Thank you Sony. You made my day!

*goes back to playing superior Xbox ONE version*

how do you enjoy crushed blacks and blurrier res? I heard its a free bundle included with DX12

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By FoxbatAlpha

@silversix_: I have yet to see crushed blacks. It is a nice myth Xbox haters love to bring up.

My visuals are glorious.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 FoxbatAlpha

@Malta_1980: I don't really regard the PC as a contender so when you read my posts, always know that PC was given zero thought.

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By kinectthedots
Member since 2013 • 3383 Posts

Weird that lems find this a victory for xbone when even the MCC collection, remastered games up to 2 generations older than this, has equal performance drops when trying to maintain 60fps at 1080p, lol and that is a FIRST PARTY development effort.

Halo 4, from last gen 360

Halo "fucking" 1 from last LAST gen original xbox

LOL at lems trying to make PS4 dropping 10 frames on a 1080p at 60fps current gen game a thing...their most hype game, composed of games over 2 gens old, from a first party studio can't even maintain 1080p at 60fps on their beloved xbone!

"bu but we don't care bout resolution n frames when talking about xbone gamez!"

I trust this thread will die now before lems make even bigger fools of themselves in complete self-ownage.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By NFJSupreme

@Wasdie said:

So lets drop the shit.

wow I appreciate your rant and all but you completely missed the point of this thread. This isn't about who is more powerful. It's not the hardware's fault Sony is forcing 1080p. Your DC is not needed here.

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Malta_1980

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@Malta_1980: I don't really regard the PC as a contender so when you read my posts, always know that PC was given zero thought.

PC plays games and COD:AW is available on the system, so it has to be taken into consideration..

SambaLele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By SambaLele
Member since 2004 • 5552 Posts

@Wasdie: There, Wasdie just ended the thread prematurely.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 NFJSupreme

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@Malta_1980: I don't really regard the PC as a contender so when you read my posts, always know that my post was given zero thought.

thank me later

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By NFJSupreme

@SambaLele said:

@Wasdie: There, Wasdie just ended the thread prematurely.

nah this thread went over his head. apparently yours too. This isn't about the consoles it's about the companies. He's just a little slow to think and quick to react as are most of you here.

anyway he's busy blaiming the developers but ignoring articles like this:

http://n4g.com/news/1264169/sony-actively-pushing-for-60fps-1080p-with-ps4

he has no clue what's going on behind the scenes. These games have to be presented to these console makers before they can go gold. All sony saw was great 1080p we can put that on a box and commercial performance be damned.

the hardware is what the hardware is but you gamers should probably start opening your eyes to the politics that goes on into all this. You guys are way too caught up in being fan boys.

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By kinectthedots
Member since 2013 • 3383 Posts

@NFJSupreme said:

@Wasdie said:

So lets drop the shit.

wow I appreciate you rant and all but you completely missed the point of this thread. This isn't about who is more powerful. It's not the hardware's fault Sony is forcing 1080p. Your DC is not needed here.

Your "point"? LMAO, tell that to 343 when talking about the Halo remaster for lems like you gloating over 1080p at 60fps for the Halo MC collection which was demanded by MS, yet...

Halo 4, from last gen 360

Halo "fucking" 1 from last LAST gen original xbox

Xboned!

But do continue on with your rant about "points" and "sony" or something else like that you were trying to make a thing...

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By FoxbatAlpha

@NFJSupreme said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@Malta_1980: I don't really regard the PC as a contender so when you read my posts, always know that my post was given zero thought.

thank me later

I did one better, I reported you.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@silversix_: I have yet to see crushed blacks. It is a nice myth Xbox haters love to bring up.

My visuals are glorious.

just look at the TC's video, its as if all is black textured

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 FoxbatAlpha

@silversix_ said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

My visuals are glorious.

just look at the TC's video, its as if all is black textured

DF and IGN were already caught comparing games with the colorblind mode on for Xbox. Why would I go off of their Youtube video when I know my blacks are not crushed. No one I know with a Xbox One has crushed blacks. Get over it.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@NFJSupreme said:

So DF is toying with COD now and their findings are interesting. AW is actually smoother on the xbone according to DF:

With patch version 1.04 installed, the PS4 version's constant 1080p output comes at a price. We catch dips between the 50-60fps lines during battles through Seoul's streets - with drops to the high 40s caught when throwing the 'threat' grenades to scan the area for enemies. Even in perfectly matched scenes, the Xbox One's performance tends to hold at a perfect 60fps by comparison

Ouch.

Up until now, the PlayStation 4 version remained an enigma. Running at 1080p, its presentation remains king of course, while Microsoft's hardware only occasionally shifts up to that resolution, typically in less demanding areas. However, the less consistent 50-60fps performance level on Sony's platform is a surprising state of affairs, and bearing in mind that frame-rate is king in Call of Duty, we're surprised that the dynamic scaling tech wasn't deployed on both platforms.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-call-of-duty-advanced-warfare-performance-analysis

So for the campaign at least the PS4 seems to have bitten off a little bit more than it can chew. It's an interesting gen for consoles. On one hand ms wants to force parity but on the other PS4 wants to force 1080p. Is Sony really for gamers by gamers or for marketing by marketing? Seems to me they are all-in on winning the fanboy war even at the cost of the gaming experience for their fans.

Loading Video...

I'm sure cows will now claim DF bias with this one.

Did you see the video.?

Both version drop non is locked like Activision claimed 2 days ago,the xbox one version has screen tearing because of adaptive v-synch,and drops to 1360x1080p,has crushed blacks and more pop ups.

The thing is most of the biggest drops are under cut scenes and in parts where nothing is happening,for example when the 2 teams meet when one does a hole and fall down is a cut scene with nothing happening yet the PS4 version drop,so yeah it most be the game been poorly optimized on PS4.

Also the crushed blacks some how are not mention by Digital Foundry on their comparison odd when it is very apparent.

@NFJSupreme said:

@Wasdie said:

So lets drop the shit.

wow I appreciate your rant and all but you completely missed the point of this thread. This isn't about who is more powerful. It's not the hardware's fault Sony is forcing 1080p. Your DC is not needed here.

How is sony forcing 1080p you closet lemming.? when AC4 is 900p on PS4 done that way because MS has a freaking deal with Ubisoft confirmed that benchmark from inside Ubisoft it self proved the PS4 is considerably more powerful.

Even Ubisoft own freaking test confirm it they downgraded the PS4 version on purpose,there is no way in hell that the xbox one version can be up to 1080p and keep an faster frame than the PS4 is just not possible unless you screw the PS4 on purpose.

We have see a barrage of 1080p vs 900p on xbox one,and the PS4 not only has show it can keep the same frame some times it can do 2 or 3 more while been 1080p vs 900p.

So yeah something happen on this game and drops during cut scenes when nothing is happening confirm it,look at the video what is showing there 53 vs 59 on a part were nothing was happening and was a freaking cut scene stop your sorry ass denial,no one has any damage control.

@Desmonic said:

Its worth noting that this applies only to the SP according to DF. The MP is a solid 60fps at 1080p on the PS4. The MP on the XB1 seems to be the same weird res (1330x1080 or something) at 60fps too.

Or at least they didnt mention major issues with it.

That is what surprise me and how Activision mess,up on Single player the game has dynamic resolution which goes from 1360x1080p to 1920x1080p and keep mostly 60FPS while the PS4 version drops,but on multiplayer the game is lock on both at 60FPS,but the xbox one can't handle dynamic resolution any more and has to be lock to 1360x1080p.

I smell a screw up behind this shit.

xxyetixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 xxyetixx
Member since 2004 • 3041 Posts

@Wasdie: But it is Sony's fault if they are telling publishers we want 1080p no matter what. I was worried that MS would try the same crap and sacrifice frame rate to achieve 1080p but they don't seem to be doing this they know there limitations and I'm fine with that. Sony has sacrificed frame rates a few times to get that 1080p, and it's retarded!!