Sony to Sell User Data

This topic is locked from further discussion.

den4sir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#1 den4sir
Member since 2003 • 1235 Posts

Sony now plans to sell PS3 user data to advertisers. Now that really makes me want to go out and purchase one (sarcastistic). It looks like they're putting the nails in their own coffin. Check it out.

http://thebrowser.blogs.fortune.com/2007/07/03/sony-playstation-to-sell-user-data-to-advertisers/#comments

-Spock-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 -Spock-
Member since 2006 • 7072 Posts

Isn't that illegal?

Don't they have to have your consent?

Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14459 Posts
Actually it's in the same vein as Battlefield 2142. The advertising system picks up on what games you play and what you download to pick out certain advertisements Sony and Neilson think you would like. It's not as if they have said they'll be selling actual personal info.
Avatar image for NobuoMusicMaker
NobuoMusicMaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 NobuoMusicMaker
Member since 2005 • 6628 Posts

It's probably in the disclaimer that we all breeze over.

Who cares? If advertisers want to know what games I play, good. I like them to make ads from my interests.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Isn't that illegal?

-Spock-

I don't exactly this it is literally "illegal" but in terms of "business ethics" (haha, oxymoron) it is an immoral practice. I could be entirely wrong seeing as how I know nothing about business law.
Kinitari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Kinitari
Member since 2005 • 3472 Posts
They arent selling player data.... they are doing research to see what advertisements are effective.
-Spock-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 -Spock-
Member since 2006 • 7072 Posts

Actually it's in the same vein as Battlefield 2142. The advertising system picks up on what games you play and what you download to pick out certain advertisements Sony and Neilson think you would like. It's not as if they have said they'll be selling actual personal info.Ibacai

I guess that's okay then. I was just under the impression that they were gonna throw all those boxes saying "tick here if you don't want us to disclose personal information to third parties" out the window.

osirisomeomi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 osirisomeomi
Member since 2007 • 3100 Posts
[QUOTE="-Spock-"]Isn't that illegal?

foxhound_fox

I don't exactly this it is literally "illegal" but in terms of "business ethics" (haha, oxymoron) it is an immoral practice. I could be entirely wrong seeing as how I know nothing about business law.

Selling PERSONAL data, such as your name, address, etc is illegal. Selling your browsing history in not. Examples: Google, Batlefield, Yahoo, almost any other internet advertiser, etc....

It's not really a problem. It allow them to target ads towards your preferences. I'll assume that there will be an ad on the wall, maybe a small video playing there. I htink this is for Home. Whatever, beats payig for it, and ads are a pat of life these days.

Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14459 Posts

[QUOTE="Ibacai"]Actually it's in the same vein as Battlefield 2142. The advertising system picks up on what games you play and what you download to pick out certain advertisements Sony and Neilson think you would like. It's not as if they have said they'll be selling actual personal info.-Spock-

I guess that's okay then. I was just under the impression that they were gonna throw all those boxes saying "tick here if you don't want us to disclose personal information to third parties" out the window.

I guess anything is possible, I just don't see that happening.
lordxymor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lordxymor
Member since 2004 • 2438 Posts

Sellign user data is illegal. What they could do is sell anonymous usege statistics or browsing data.

I remember a few months back, when US DOJ asked Yahoo, Google and Microsoft to handle data from their users. All complied with the request except for google who denied and denied and then created the 18 months data dump procedure, to delete all user data after 18 months.

Bottom line, MS shouldn't be truted with your data either.

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2006/jan2006/goog-j21.shtml

iunderstand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 iunderstand
Member since 2006 • 3201 Posts
[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"][QUOTE="-Spock-"]Isn't that illegal?

osirisomeomi

Selling PERSONAL data, such as your name, address, etc is illegal. Selling your browsing history in not. Examples: Google, Batlefield, Yahoo, almost any other internet advertiser, etc....

It's not really a problem. It allow them to target ads towards your preferences. I'll assume that there will be an ad on the wall, maybe a small video playing there. I htink this is for Home. Whatever, beats payig for it, and ads are a pat of life these days.

Banks pass on your personal data to insurance and credit card companies, I would think Sony would be allowed too. I think it's only illegal if you call them and tell them that you don't want your personal data shared, but then how will you know/prove that they did infact share your personal data.

lordxymor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lordxymor
Member since 2004 • 2438 Posts
[QUOTE="osirisomeomi"][QUOTE="foxhound_fox"][QUOTE="-Spock-"]Isn't that illegal?

iunderstand

Banks pass on your personal data to insurance and credit card companies, I would think Sony would be allowed too. I think it's only illegal if you call them and tell them that you don't want your personal data shared, but then how will you know/prove that they did infact share your personal data.

Call them, say there's a mistake and change the letters or your name, like from Thomas to Tomas. ;)

I've done it before, that way I manage to trace who as leaking my data and phone number. Then I sued them.

iunderstand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 iunderstand
Member since 2006 • 3201 Posts
[QUOTE="iunderstand"][QUOTE="osirisomeomi"][QUOTE="foxhound_fox"][QUOTE="-Spock-"]Isn't that illegal?

lordxymor

Call them and change the letters or your name, like from Thomas to Tomas. ;)

I've done it before, that way I manage to trace who as leaking my data and phone number. Then I sued them.

:lol: Sneaky.